TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTV -- News and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-23, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 267 Likes on 183 Posts
Re: DirecTV -- News and Updates

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I got HBO with Directv and I get Max free because of the Directv HBO subscription

I guess I can go to the Max app for those Discovery + shows but maybe another way for Directv to get more money out of their subscribers.
There are two different max. The cable/satellite version and streaming version. If you have the streaming version, when you choose to watch something on max the app will have to load. You have to subscribe to the app to stream Discovery+. Showtime is the same way. I have Showtime but not the Showtime/Paramount+ app so I don't get Paramount+.

Pull up the screen that displays all the streaming apps installed on device. Choose the MAX app and see if it opens or asks you to subscribe. If it opens you are streaming MAX. If it asks you to subscribe you're watching MAX through Directv, not streaming.

Example. I get old fashioned regular Showtime free from Comcast. Let's say I subscribe to Paramount+ which includes Showtime. I want to watch an episode of a Showtime tv series. I will be prompted to choose from "Watch on Showtime" or "Launch Paramount+/Showtime" and stream it.

Last edited by rw2516; 07-26-23 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

I did finally cut the cord and canned DTV. They had been giving me a $50 monthly credit and wouldn't extend it... so I guess getting no money from me is preferable to the $150+ I was paying them for their satellite service. I switched to YTTV and have absolutely no complaints so far.
Old 08-17-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Got an offer in the mail from them today begging me to come back. The offer was $65 + taxes + fees + $15 required fee for advanced receiver for the lowest tier of programming, with a two-year commitment. So their introductory offer is $90-$100 per month for the lowest package on one TV? What a joke.
Old 08-17-23, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I am VERY CLOSE to dumping them. Just waiting until NFL Sunday Ticket starts this season to see how I like YouTube TV.

DirecTV has sucked forever. I always hated the 720p picture quality or whatever too
Old 08-17-23, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 797 Likes on 648 Posts

The on demand programs are in 1080p and maybe with the except of ABC 7 and FOX 2 in 720p in the Bay Area most of the channels are 1080i.
Old 08-18-23, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I am VERY CLOSE to dumping them. Just waiting until NFL Sunday Ticket starts this season to see how I like YouTube TV.

DirecTV has sucked forever. I always hated the 720p picture quality or whatever too
Since my switch, I've had zero regrets. I'm the guy who has had cable or a Dish forever. I was nervous... but rest assured, it's been great.

BTW, for those of you with YTTV, did any of you choose the 4K package? I was under the impression that there would be normal channels in 4K (like ESPN)... but I don't think that's the case.
Old 08-18-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Since my switch, I've had zero regrets. I'm the guy who has had cable or a Dish forever. I was nervous... but rest assured, it's been great.

BTW, for those of you with YTTV, did any of you choose the 4K package? I was under the impression that there would be normal channels in 4K (like ESPN)... but I don't think that's the case.
I use Hulu TV (2nd your comments about having no regrets dumping DTV) but I think the 4k on YTTV is like the 4k on DTV. Specific channels for 4k broadcasts only.
Old 08-18-23, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I use Hulu TV (2nd your comments about having no regrets dumping DTV) but I think the 4k on YTTV is like the 4k on DTV. Specific channels for 4k broadcasts only.
That is correct re: 4k
Old 08-18-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 629 Likes on 454 Posts

YttV can only air 4K content that is available.
If there’s no content it doesn’t air.

I don’t think espn has any 4K content

Ive see Fox and nbc 4 k sports.
Old 08-18-23, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,399 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
YttV can only air 4K content that is available.
If there’s no content it doesn’t air.

I don’t think espn has any 4K content

Ive see Fox and nbc 4 k sports.
. ESPN airs college football in 4k occasionally
The following users liked this post:
whotony (08-18-23)
Old 08-18-23, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True!
Old 08-18-23, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 267 Likes on 183 Posts

I get MGM+ with my Comcast. There was an on demand movie I wanted to watch. When I select play I get a message that I don't have the right box to watch it. I guess it is strictly 4K only and can't be converted down to HD.
Old 08-19-23, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

These are the 4K channels that show on the edit guide page for me on YTTV.

Old 08-30-23, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I did finally cut the cord and canned DTV. They had been giving me a $50 monthly credit and wouldn't extend it... so I guess getting no money from me is preferable to the $150+ I was paying them for their satellite service. I switched to YTTV and have absolutely no complaints so far.
You had me worried as it's that time of the year again. While sadly the direct dial numbers to the loyalty department have been shut down or at least changed, I did get through to the with the "cancel" "not moving" method. They renewed my 12 month $55/month credit that just expired (also have a prior $10/month credit still in effect).

They also gave me the Sports Pack for free for 6 months. So even though no more Sunday Ticket I'll have the Red Zone channel which is more than I had last year since I couldn't get my usual ST deal (free). So I guess I'm sticking around for another year at least.
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (08-31-23)
Old 08-30-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC Sports in 4K?

Is that the NBC Sports Channel since that channel no longer exists?
Old 09-01-23, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When is this dispute with Nextstar going to end?

KRON 4 in the Bay Area becomes a CW affiliate next week and no CW in the Bay Area now?
Old 09-02-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
When is this dispute with Nextstar going to end?

KRON 4 in the Bay Area becomes a CW affiliate next week and no CW in the Bay Area now?
The 2019 blackout lasted from July 1 to Aug 29. Some seem to think it could be resolved soon with NFL season starting on the 7th. We'll see.

KRON on VHF channel 7? Might be able to get it with rabbit ears near a window if you're in a strong signal region?
Old 09-02-23, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of hills here and TV with a antennae does not work

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 09-04-23 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

I think I read where DirecTV filed a lawsuit against NexStar a couple of weeks ago, so this might be a long one. Though I would think that the NFL season starting would put some pressure on both sides.

Also, isn't it always NexStar that's pulling this shit? They did with DirecTV four or five years ago, and with Dish Network earlier this year.
Old 09-03-23, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 126 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
You had me worried as it's that time of the year again. While sadly the direct dial numbers to the loyalty department have been shut down or at least changed, I did get through to the with the "cancel" "not moving" method. They renewed my 12 month $55/month credit that just expired (also have a prior $10/month credit still in effect).

They also gave me the Sports Pack for free for 6 months. So even though no more Sunday Ticket I'll have the Red Zone channel which is more than I had last year since I couldn't get my usual ST deal (free). So I guess I'm sticking around for another year at least.

Wow, you got the goods. I called to cancel after 13 years and was offered a one month $20 discount. I asked for a long term discount and was told no. I asked about free sports pak and was told no. I left and am pretty happy with YTTV so far.
Old 09-03-23, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Wow, you got the goods. I called to cancel after 13 years and was offered a one month $20 discount. I asked for a long term discount and was told no. I asked about free sports pak and was told no. I left and am pretty happy with YTTV so far.
I might have considered it if I was still a “gotta have Sunday Ticket” guy. Getting it for essentially free for so many years meant never really having to think about it. But not having it last year (rather than pay full price for it) made me realize I’m not.
Old 09-03-23, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also, isn't it always NexStar that's pulling this shit? They did with DirecTV four or five years ago, and with Dish Network earlier this year.
The Nexstar ones seem to last the longest. It was a blackout between DISH and NEXSTAR that rekindled my interest in OTA and got me building antennas to see what I could get and that was a dozen years ago.
Old 09-03-23, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

DirecTV is in no hurry at all to settle the contract dispute with Nexstar. Here in the LA area, it's a CW affiliate on KTLA 5 with them cancelling the vast majority of their original WB/CBS shows last season, there is very little content people will care about.

The surviving shows from the sale probably won't even air until sometime in 2024 when the strikes get resolved. And I don't think there is any urgency for people here to watch the Canadian and UK imports that are airing in the Fall. And you can always stream it for free on the CW app the next day.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-23 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-03-23, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 284 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The surviving shows from the sale probably won't even air until sometime in 2024 when the strikes get resolved. And I don't think there is any urgency for people here to watch the Canadian and UK imports that are airing in the Fall. And you can always stream it for free on the CW app the next day.
Only thing of immediate interest on CW for me is the ACC games, which start airing next weekend...
Old 09-03-23, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Nobody really gives a shit about the CW Network, but Nexstar also owns a lot of CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox affiliates all over the country. That's a lot of missed football games in a lot of markets.

With the SAG and WGA strikes going on, football is about the only leverage NexStar has over DirecTV. Grandma's copaganda stories won't be on anyway, so no harm, no foul there.

And the Super Bowl is going to be on CBS this year, too, so, presumably they'll have that shit sorted out by early next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.