Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Old 08-27-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
"If you didnt like the Sopranos ending it's just because you didnt get it. You are soooooo stupid because obviously Tony dies."

Chase finally answered whether Tony is dead or not.

Spoiler:
He shook his head ďno.Ē And he said simply, ďNo he isnít.Ē

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/27/6006139...f-the-sopranos
Wait, hold on. According the article, the question is: "Did Tony die?" and the answer is as above. That's a weird way to answer the question.
Old 08-27-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Boy that guy made a huge article over a simple answer.

Whether Tony dies or not in the restaurant is now an irrelevant question, since there will never, ever be more of THE SOPRANOS. So whatever ending you like, go with it.
Old 08-27-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Boy that guy made a huge article over a simple answer.

Whether Tony dies or not in the restaurant is now an irrelevant question, since there will never, ever be more of THE SOPRANOS. So whatever ending you like, go with it.
And the funny thing is that what you just wrote is exactly what Chase envisioned it to be at the time.
Old 08-27-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Well now that we know he didn't die, I'm sticking with my theory in the OP from 7 years ago.
Old 08-27-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,510 Likes on 984 Posts

Maybe Chase made those comments because he's planning a Sopranos movie with James Gandol....oooohhh.

I agree with bunkaroo. It's a sentimental answer. I doubt he'd have even said anything if Gandolfini were still alive.
Old 08-27-14, 10:45 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chase's publicist sent out this response:

A journalist for Vox misconstrued what David Chase said in their interview. To simply quote David as saying,“ Tony Soprano is not dead,” is inaccurate. There is a much larger context for that statement and as such, it is not true.

As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, “Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point.” To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of THE SOPRANOS raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/david...didnt-die.html
Old 08-27-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That publicist can fuck right off with that noise.
Old 08-28-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I still love the ending, especially in light of Chase's statement that trying to definitively answer whether Tony lived or died is missing the point.
Old 08-28-14, 04:45 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Chase pretty much confirmed that Tony was alive years ago, after stating that Sopranos films were a possibility. I never thought the theories that Tony died held any weight anyway, which I've argued ad nauseum on this very board.
Old 08-28-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IIG View Post
David Chase pretty much confirmed that Tony was alive years ago, after stating that Sopranos films were a possibility. I never thought the theories that Tony died held any weight anyway, which I've argued ad nauseum on this very board.
No weight? Come on, that's ludicrous. If they held no weight, members only guy wouldn't be in the scene at all. Just a bunch of onion rings being eaten whole and Meadow not being able to parallel park a car. You know, the deeper meaning of life as spoken by the genius of our time, David Chase.
Old 08-28-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Anytime a Sopranos discussion comes up one of my friends always says something like that. It really makes those Sopranos snobs look stupid now.

I still hated the ending. I wonder if Chase finally gave a definitive answer because Gandolfini has since passed and the possibility of a Sopranos movie is off the table.
Exactly. And this justifies all the hatred for the finale. at everyone who was sooo sure "it was all there."
Old 01-02-15, 02:38 PM
RIP

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmm, I thought the ending to the series was great.
Old 01-02-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I did too. Dead or not, I liked the ending.
Old 01-02-15, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 570 Posts

Oddly enough I was just watching some clips from the series, including the final scene on YouTube yesterday. The ending never really bothered me but maybe its because I knew what it was prior to watching the series as I didn't watch it until a few years after it ended. I'd like to get the complete Blu-ray set eventually.
Old 08-17-15, 02:18 AM

Yeah i just finished watching the whole series for the first, time took me about a month or so on Blu-ray. Watching the whole series while knowing about this 'weird' open ended ending the whole time. It was still a great ride and i really loved the entire series. but it was kinda strange watching the whole thing while knowing how it 'ended' heh

Came in here to see if after all these years and maybe now that people digested the ending that it's not so bad anymore? in retrospect? Was kinda fun to read that first thread and it's 10 pages of 'WTF?!' haha

Personally i find it a little odd, sure i kinda see where Chase was going with this but couldn't he at least made Meadow be at the table with the whole family? Them 4 just enjoying family meal time, not worrying about indictments or whackings etc.

Sure i would of preferred an actual conclusion from the creator and writer and not just a 'let the audience interpret as they see fit' ending. I mean it's YOUR vision, so what is it?

But nonetheless great series and I'll miss it! was fun going through the 86 episodes day after day
Old 08-17-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ending never bothered me to begin with. But then, I'm OK with the ending to (and whole last season of) Lost, too.

We got a snapshot of Tony's life. The life existed before the show started, and existed (however short or long) after the show ended. I don't get how knowing Tony died in 5 minutes vs 5 years really changes the show. Maybe he got shot in the head in front of his family in a diner. Maybe he died of old age in a rocking chair. That isn't really the point of the show.

The point of the show is that modern day organized crime exists in a world that has changed, and even though there's a strong pull towards tradition, the organization changes too (usually unintentionally). Who ever heard of a crime boss seeing a therapist over unresolved mommy issues and general work pressures?

These are not necessarily people who want their kids to grow up and follow in their footsteps. How do the kids deal with who their dad is? How does the mob wife see her own deal with the devil? Where does family end and Family begin? Which takes precedence (Christopher, Uncle Junior)? And for those who like violence, there's Furio.

I'll take a moment here to recognize Nancy Marchand (RIP) for portraying one of the most annoying mothers in the history of television. After seeing her on screen, at no point is it difficult to see why Tony turned out as he did. Her slow whining voice is giving me anxiety now just thinking of it.

There's nothing about the ending that changed my appreciation for looking into the lives of these characters.
Old 08-17-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I thought the ending was great. Probably one of my favorite series endings ever.
Old 08-17-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally saw the last half season earlier this year, several years after having watched the rest of the series. I managed to remain surprisingly unspoiled other than knowing that the ending had caused a huge amount of uproar. It was a little weird watching while knowing that. When I finally did see it I just laughed. I thought it worked, and it was great to finally know what all the fuss was about. I enjoyed the series, I enjoyed the ending, and I am especially glad that I no longer have to exit a thread when the conversation turns to the Sopranos.
Old 01-11-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Anyone been watching The Sopranos marathon on HBO the last week as they are celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Premiere in January 1999. I have to say the writing was top notch on this show as there are so many great one-liners, as this could be just as much a comedy as it is a drama. Of course the Pine Barrens episode is still my favorite!
Old 01-11-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,871 Likes on 1,886 Posts

BTW : David Chase recently accidentally admitted to Alan Sepinwall that Tony does die at the end of the episode by slipping up and calling it a "death scene". Then he cursed Alan out for making him say that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ath-scene.html

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...soprano-death/
Old 01-11-19, 01:30 PM

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Oral History of The Sopranos over at Deadline:
https://deadline.com/tag/the-sopranos/
Old 01-11-19, 01:35 PM

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
BTW : David Chase recently accidentally admitted to Alan Sepinwall that Tony does die at the end of the episode by slipping up and calling it a "death scene". Then he cursed Alan out for making him say that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ath-scene.html

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a...soprano-death/
Hilarious. I'm surprised I didn't see that headline. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he changes his mind constantly on whether Tony is or isnít dead personally. I still view it as open ended as to how it ended, and since there isnít likely to be anything further after the finale (beyond the spinoff film which is a prequel) there wonít be a definitive answer really.
Old 01-11-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,235 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think he changes his mind constantly on whether Tony is or isn’t dead personally. I still view it as open ended as to how it ended, and since there isn’t likely to be anything further after the finale (beyond the spinoff film which is a prequel) there won’t be a definitive answer really.
I think there was enough there — in both the scene and entire the sixth season — to deduce that the guy in the Members Only jacket got up, went to the bathroom, came out, and shot Tony in the back of the head.

But it was kept vague enough to be plausably deniable in the event they wanted to make a movie or otherwise continue Tony’s story. Now that Gandolfini is no longer with us, it’s safe to say Tony sleeps with the fishes.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-12-19 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, prior to Gandolfiniís death I always wanted to believe that the ending was a fake out despite all the foreshadowing and thought there would be a follow up at some point. After his death I think it makes more sense to say he was killed in that scene because like I say there isnít likely to be a follow-up. I just think Chase left it open ended enough where either outcome would be plausible.

I still really need to get the Blu-ray set of this eventually.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-11-19 at 08:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.