Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Old 06-11-07, 08:55 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,067
I figured out the Sopranos ending!

Okay, here's my theory:

Many of us believe the ending signified Tony getting whacked. The quote by Bobby on the boat was "You probably don't hear anything when it happens." So it makes sense that when someone gets killed everything just goes black and silent.

What if the cut to black wasn't Tony getting whacked, but was actually the VIEWER getting whacked? Sort of a little tip of the hat by David Chase to all the loyal fans.

People were always complaining that there weren't enough characters getting whacked in certain episodes, so think about it... what if the last person to get whacked in the Sopranos was US??

The Soprano family lives on, but we can't watch anymore of them because we all got whacked.

It's gimmicky, but kinda cool when you think of it that way.
JTH182 is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 09:01 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Bethesda, MD, USA
Posts: 1,248
Mr. JTH182, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mittman is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 09:04 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Speaking of figuring out stuff, can anybody figure out why this topic needs it's own thread?
Chew is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 09:07 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,609
I guess it sort of makes sense. Think about it and everyone who ever DVR'd the show that's just the equivalent of us wearing a wire. Brilliant!
Xbox69 is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 09:15 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,910
If they whacked us, then we wouldn't be able to buy anymore Sopranos Seasons on DVD!
coli is online now  
Old 06-11-07, 09:19 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Mobile AL USA
Posts: 1,642
Originally Posted by Mittman
Mr. JTH182, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Just saw Billy Madison a few hours before the Sopranos on HBO2... I love that movie
lewisb73 is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 09:35 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,850
I actually like this interpretation. Makes sense in an ironic sort of way.
Dr. DVD is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 11:15 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY USA
Posts: 4,956
If they were wacking us, that would have been a very nice way to go out. But that was certainly not the way to illustrate it. they could have had a shooter come in the door and point the gun towards the viewer, from the sapranos table point of view, shoot, and fade to black. Then you wouldn't know who got shot... that would have made some sense and still had that mistery to it.

But it's pretty obvious the view didn't get whacked, just jacked on a decent ending.
mmconhea is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 11:23 AM
  #9  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,466
what's interesting was that my SO's cousin who lives in Montclair new that they were filming at that restaurant (the name escapes me) for the final episode.
Giles is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 11:40 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,433
Originally Posted by JTH182
Okay, here's my theory:

Many of us believe the ending signified Tony getting whacked. The quote by Bobby on the boat was "You probably don't hear anything when it happens." So it makes sense that when someone gets killed everything just goes black and silent.

What if the cut to black wasn't Tony getting whacked, but was actually the VIEWER getting whacked? Sort of a little tip of the hat by David Chase to all the loyal fans.

People were always complaining that there weren't enough characters getting whacked in certain episodes, so think about it... what if the last person to get whacked in the Sopranos was US??

The Soprano family lives on, but we can't watch anymore of them because we all got whacked.

It's gimmicky, but kinda cool when you think of it that way.
you know i never said this to anyone but... you smoke entirely too much weed
raven56706 is online now  
Old 06-11-07, 02:10 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,326
Originally Posted by Giles
what's interesting was that my SO's cousin who lives in Montclair new that they were filming at that restaurant (the name escapes me) for the final episode.
How exactly is that interesting?
SexualPudding is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 03:13 PM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,466
Originally Posted by SexualPudding
How exactly is that interesting?
none what so ever...
Giles is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 03:17 PM
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
i think AJ killed himself and Tony had a heart attack at the same time.
Ronnie Dobbs is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 03:18 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,533
Originally Posted by JTH182
Okay, here's my theory:

Many of us believe the ending signified Tony getting whacked. The quote by Bobby on the boat was "You probably don't hear anything when it happens." So it makes sense that when someone gets killed everything just goes black and silent.

What if the cut to black wasn't Tony getting whacked, but was actually the VIEWER getting whacked? Sort of a little tip of the hat by David Chase to all the loyal fans.

People were always complaining that there weren't enough characters getting whacked in certain episodes, so think about it... what if the last person to get whacked in the Sopranos was US??

The Soprano family lives on, but we can't watch anymore of them because we all got whacked.

It's gimmicky, but kinda cool when you think of it that way.
Were you on Howard Stern this morning?
nodeerforamonth is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 03:20 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 603
What anyone hasn't figured out yet is why this thread was sta...[cut to black]
kajs is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 03:22 PM
  #16  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
Originally Posted by JTH182

What if the cut to black wasn't Tony getting whacked, but was actually the VIEWER getting whacked?
i whacked myself about an hour after Sopranos ended.
Ronnie Dobbs is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 09:54 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,175
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
i whacked myself about an hour after Sopranos ended.
Did you fade to black after whacking yourself?
dsa_shea is offline  
Old 06-11-07, 10:31 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,003
Actually, the idea of the viewer getting whacked, sadly, makes a lot of sense. Quite honestly this ending was a horrible, and cheap way to end a great show. I hate it when directors try to keep things open and vague because they think they are being clever. Since the ending is open to interpretation, here is my interpretation, Toney's Arab buddies successfully smuggled and set off a Nuke, which they got from the Russian mob who wanted pay back for Paulie and Chris's botched killing of that Russian guy, who survive and was the mastermind of this diabolical plot. And somewhere in Italy, Furio simultaneously shed a tear and a sigh of relief.
MrBob is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 12:29 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,610
People were always complaining that there weren't enough characters getting whacked in certain episodes, so think about it... what if the last person to get whacked in the Sopranos was US??
That's smart, kill off the people who might buy this season on DVD.
Seantn is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 05:05 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,621
Originally Posted by JTH182
Okay, here's my theory:

Many of us believe the ending signified Tony getting whacked. The quote by Bobby on the boat was "You probably don't hear anything when it happens." So it makes sense that when someone gets killed everything just goes black and silent.

What if the cut to black wasn't Tony getting whacked, but was actually the VIEWER getting whacked? Sort of a little tip of the hat by David Chase to all the loyal fans.

People were always complaining that there weren't enough characters getting whacked in certain episodes, so think about it... what if the last person to get whacked in the Sopranos was US??

The Soprano family lives on, but we can't watch anymore of them because we all got whacked.

It's gimmicky, but kinda cool when you think of it that way.
This is by far the stupidest thing ever written. You are reaching, reaching far. Just give up...the ending sucked, no matter how you insanely try to spin it.
IMRICKJAMES is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 08:13 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,704
Originally Posted by MrBob
Actually, the idea of the viewer getting whacked, sadly, makes a lot of sense. Quite honestly this ending was a horrible, and cheap way to end a great show. I hate it when directors try to keep things open and vague because they think they are being clever. Since the ending is open to interpretation, here is my interpretation, Toney's Arab buddies successfully smuggled and set off a Nuke, which they got from the Russian mob who wanted pay back for Paulie and Chris's botched killing of that Russian guy, who survive and was the mastermind of this diabolical plot. And somewhere in Italy, Furio simultaneously shed a tear and a sigh of relief.
So maybe that was Jack Bauer coming in the door at the end?
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 08:23 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,199
The middle-eastern guys that the FBI were after managed to release a new virus in north Jersey. However, something went wrong and it doesn't affect living people, it only reanimates dead ones. Now Tony and crew have to again deal with Richie Aprile, Christopher, Tony B., Vito, Livia, Eugene, etc., all returned as zombies.
Charlie Goose is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 11:54 AM
  #23  
Registered
 
GeoffK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Marblehead, MA
Posts: 6,948
The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II

This is part II.

Part I can be found at:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=502918
GeoffK is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 12:00 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Minor Threat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 13,731
I for one liked the episode a lot - and I'm sure it's been mentioned in the previous thread, but I think David Chase basically "whacked" US (the viewer) - just like when Melfie shut the door - you knew it was over. We were able to view the Sopranos family and how it operated and in the end we got whacked - hence the closing shot. Basically - it's over.....
Minor Threat is offline  
Old 06-12-07, 12:04 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,529
I didn't see it in the other thread, but basically the guy in the Members Only jacket was Phil's cousin!
Quake1028 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.