Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

O'Donnell Leaving 'The View'

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big whoppa
Just to be brief then..."Well, you know now!" Rosie too. No more further excuses. You realize she did not say this in an audience of Asians. I doubt she would have said it if Lisa Long was still on The View. She would know better. It's a shame children pick this up from adults who should know better. We need to put an end to all of this.

Just read in the paper of a couple of NY shock jocks making derogatory calls at the expense of Asians. They are being suspended until further action. About time...
Her name's Lisa Ling.
Old 04-28-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea that "ching chong" was considered offensive until the Rosie thing happened. When you know better, you do better.

Rosie often mimics accents, it is part of her schtick. She has an Irish nanny, and she always speaks in her nanny's thick Irish brogue and never hears any flak for it. She was trying to replicate Chinese for her joke and as someone who doesn't know Chinese, she just used words that "sound" Chinese to a non-native speaker. I don't think she was trying to offend Chinese people.

Languages sound a certain way to people who do not speak the language and certain sounds stick out. If she was pretending to speak Japanese, she could have said "ahhh - sooooo" or something like that, or she could have pretended to speak French by saying "voulez vouz" or something.

I remember long ago Eddie Murphy doing a bit about how diferent languages sounds and he spoke about how Arabic always sounds so harsh. He mentioned ordering a sandwich at a deli and the man who worked there yelled back something like "Ahoken hoken a hoken!" and Eddie was like, "That's ok, I don't want no hocken on my bread."

I am sure English words/sounds sound different to people in other parts of the world.
Old 04-28-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Her name's Lisa Ling.
Typo. I meant Lisa Ling.
Old 04-29-07, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
You realize she did not say this in an audience of Asians. I doubt she would have said it if Lisa Ling was still on The View.
I disagree. I think she would have. She had no idea that there was anything wrong with what she was doing, or that it would be offensive to anyone.
Old 04-29-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not going to debate over it endlessly. It's offensive even if she didn't know that it was.
Old 04-29-07, 10:51 AM

It's interesting to me that we're talking about Rosie uttering offnesive words in a thread where some of the posts have been extremely offensive. big whoopa, why haven't you complained about some of the sexist and demeaning posts? Surely, you wouldn't want of t=your female relatives to be spoken of in that way or is it okay to be as offensive as possible if you don't like the person?
Old 04-29-07, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow,

Originally Posted by Howiefan
She was the future of "The View."
what a sad, sad future.
Old 04-30-07, 11:26 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Elizabeth is also leaving the show this fall because she's pregnant again.
Old 04-30-07, 11:34 AM

Gooooood, you know what that means don't ya?

Old 04-30-07, 11:55 AM

I hope she leaves permanently. I'll never agree with her politics, but if that view has to be represented there's plenty of actually intelligent people to speak it.
Old 04-30-07, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Good news for people who like the View to contain an overweight woman named "Rosie" with a history in stand-up comedy and prior experience hosting a daytime talk show:

RO-PLACEMENTS
LINE FORMS TO LEFT FOR OPEN 'VIEW' JOB; ROSEANNE EARLY FAVORITE
By DON KAPLAN

Roseanne Barr has emerged as the top contender to replace Rosie O'Donnell next year on "The View," sources say.

A rep for Barr says she has not been approached.

"It's almost like that rumor that spread last month about how she was going to be on 'Desperate Housewives,' " said Barr's spokesperson.

"She's a piece of work, she's a character, she says what's on her mind and she's funny," said a source with knowledge of ABC's sudden and desperate search to find a new co-host to replace O'Donnell who quit the show last week.

"They're missing strong personalities on that show, and that's what they're going to need if they want to keep it going," an ABC staffer close to the situation told the Post.

During an appearance on "Larry King" last week, Roseanne danced around the question of joining the "The View."

"I'm not looking for the job," she said at one point - and joking at another, "Well, I want $10 million, like Rosie."

But she never said she wouldn't take it if offered.

Since last week's announcement when Rosie said she planned to leave the show in June, several names have surfaced as possible replacements.

Among them are Joan Rivers, Whoopi Goldberg, Kathie Lee Gifford and Connie Chung. Out of all of them, Roseanne seems to be the best fit.

"It's going to be hard for them to follow Rosie," says an industry insider. "Roseanne could be the only one capable of pulling it off."

Industry insiders have also suggested Bette Midler and D-lister, Kathy Griffin.

The job is particularly hard to fill for more reasons than just the difficulty of finding a new, strong personality.

The open chair is the No. 1 seat on the show, requiring a star who can, in effect, be the show's quarterback - moving the discussion along, introducing guests and other duties that a TV neophyte might not be able to pull off believably.

O'Donnell said Wednesday that she's leaving "The View" after one year because she and ABC could not agree on a new deal.

Insiders have said she wanted more control over the show and decided to quit when that was denied. O'Donnell had replaced former "View" co-host Meredith Vieira. Starr Jones, who also left the show last year, has yet to be replaced.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04302007...don_kaplan.htm
Old 04-30-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man, Roseanne is even nuttier than Rosie. I caught her on Bill Maher's HBO show a few months ago and she was completely off her rocker. Even by that show's standards.
Old 04-30-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I would prefer Roseanne. She can be irritable, but not near the shrill bitch that Rosie has become.
Old 04-30-07, 06:10 PM
ATX

Among them are Joan Rivers, Whoopi Goldberg, Kathie Lee Gifford and Connie Chung. Out of all of them, Roseanne seems to be the best fit.
wow.

why don't just cancel this bitch already?
Old 04-30-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Never said that they were. However, they spent a lot more time on these subjects than anyone else.
Link?
Old 05-01-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The problem with The View, is they took the biggest Fish out there, put eyeballs back on the show, and now face the problem of finding a replacement for her after setting the bar so high.

Rosie was train wreck TV, love her or hate her, the numbers don't lie.

Now they need another train wreck personality

Roseanne Barr would be a pretty good fit. Joan Rivers is unwatcheable in High Def. Whoopi has lost her fastball, Kathi Lee, please, Connie Chung zzzz.

Rosie is a TV star, they are replacing her with washed up or wannabees tv stars. The View will take a monster hit here, Barr is a pretty good pinch hitter. But there are not too many who will keep the Ratings up.

Rosie will defintely be back on TV, the money is too good for both sides (networks and her) too pass up.
Old 05-01-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh cool Roseanne might be taking Rosie's place on the view-I still won't watch because i don't think Rosie O'D. is the problem. I want them to take that extremly annoying Barbara Walters. Sadly it will never happen because she created the god damn show.

How about Roseanne takes Rosie's place and Sarah Chalke takes Elizabeth's place?
-Now i would watch that, crazy woman who fucked up the last season of a great show+the hottest woman on TV=Must see TV!

No love for Bea Arthur?
She could punch BW in the face!
Old 05-01-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Roseanne Barr would be a pretty good fit. Joan Rivers is unwatcheable in High Def. Whoopi has lost her fastball, Kathi Lee, please, Connie Chung zzzz.
Whoopi is to "reasoned" to be a good fit. After the Michael Richards "N-Word" thing, she was asked about it and said that she wanted to take awhile and think it over. That isn't what brings in numbers. Rosie would have said something right off the bat. It would have been stupid, but it would have captured watchers. Same goes for Roseanne. Joan Rivers would try to be funny, but would not be able.

Kathi is too "high class" for that type of thing, and would only be a decent fit to replace Walters if she ever left.
Old 05-01-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
How about Roseanne takes Rosie's place and Sarah Chalke takes Elizabeth's place?
-Now i would watch that, crazy woman who fucked up the last season of a great show+the hottest woman on TV=Must see TV!
Becky #2 reunion!