Old 04-16-07, 01:27 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Atleast they share
Old 04-17-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the Attenboro version have the same script as the Weaver? I'm also annoyed with all the, "And now, for the first time ever" backpatting. And as for the snow leopard hunt being the FIRST EVER ON FILM, I saw a show a year or two back that showed video footage of snow leopards chasing something around the Himalayas, so I'm not so sure they're totally honest when touting all the "firsts".
Old 04-17-07, 10:43 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Does the Attenboro version have the same script as the Weaver?
Pretty much the same.
Old 04-17-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can already pre-order standard, HD, or BR, DVDs at DDD. http://search.deepdiscount.com/searc...ollection&rk=1

This show is awesome, I've already pre-ordered my copy!
Old 04-17-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The other footage you listed being repeated in the actual episodes is less excusable especially since Discovery is editing these shows down from their original length, and therefore must be removing footage we haven't seen before in order to keep these scenes in.
I sat down to watch "The Jungle" last night and it opened with the Birds of Paradise in New Guniea. I thought to myself, "Oh, I've already seen this one" and nearly shut it off. But I kept watching and realized they were just showing the same footage from a previous episode. Kind of lame.

Another thing I always wonder about these shows is how much is staged. They film a huge tree falling in the jungle, from multiple angles. That can't possibly be a 'right place at the right time' situation. So assuming they had a hand in knocking that tree down, even if it was dead anyway, is that still what you want a nature film crew to be doing?
Old 04-17-07, 06:24 PM

I sat down to watch "The Jungle" last night and it opened with the Birds of Paradise in New Guniea. I thought to myself, "Oh, I've already seen this one" and nearly shut it off. But I kept watching and realized they were just showing the same footage from a previous episode. Kind of lame.
It's not lame at all. The very first show was "Pole to Pole" which covered everything you'd see in the next 10 episodes. It was more like a highlight reel of what you're about to see.
Old 04-18-07, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
question: in 'Fresh Waters' did they state only 3% of the water on the planet is fresh water? that seems awfully low, did I mishear that number?
Old 04-18-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started recording these in HD after reading this thread a few days ago. This show is utterly amazing. Words can't describe some of the emotions I've had watching this.
Old 04-19-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
question: in 'Fresh Waters' did they state only 3% of the water on the planet is fresh water? that seems awfully low, did I mishear that number?
"Oceans contain 97 % of the earth's water while the remaining 3 % is classified as freshwater. Seventy-seven percent of this surface freshwater is stored as ice and 22% as groundwater and soil moisture. The remaining freshwater, making up less than 1 % of the world total, is contained in lakes, rivers and wetlands."
Old 04-19-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As another poster already noted, the first couple of eps were clips shows, or highlight reels - a primer, giving you an overview of the planet and the different areas that we would later examine in greater detail.

It's also a perspective thing. When we were following the wildabeasts in their desperate search for water, the pan up to the massive river was this big relief moment for the animals. We'd just seen how difficult their journey was and their arrival at the river was the climax of their tale. Then in another episode, we're following the river from the mountain snow melt, to waterfalls, to a bend it takes in the plains and... the wildabeasts from before.
It's like a nature documentary equivalent of a Tarrentino film. We're following different plot threads that occasionally intersect.

Doc
Old 04-23-07, 08:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the ducklings jumping out of the tall tree in 'Forests' was soooo cute

aaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

as was that cat like creature eating the moths.

the time lapse footage of the clouds/storm behind the tall Madasgar trees was spectacular.
Old 04-23-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I must be the worlds biggest asshole but all I could think while they were showing the panda bear was, "What a useless freaking animal." Seriously, if they wern't so cute they would've (and maybe should've) been extinct years ago.
Dude, I watched that episode yesterday for the first time and those were nearly my exact thoughts - word for word. My wife was tearing up a little, particularly the part where Mama Panda had to choose which of its cubs to feed, so I had to hold back my thoughts as being in the best interest of marital bliss, but my thoughts were
  • Panda can't hibernate because it only eats bamboo, which is of low nutritional value, so it can't build up enough fat to sleep through the coldest part of winter.
  • Panda can't go down the mountain because it only eats bamboo which only grows in a narrow altitude band so it can't avoid the coldest part of winter.
  • Panda can't feed for three weeks after giving birth because its newborn cub is the size of a chicklet and can't possibly survive on its own. But Panda only eats bamboo which has so little nutritional content that Panda has to starve while it feeds the cub and provide it warmth to protect it from the coldest part of winter, which Panda can't avoid by hibernating or going down to lower altitudes (stop me if you've heard this).
  • Panda has to let surplus cubs die because it can barely care for one (see above).
Sounds like Panda needs to learn to eat a nice juicy cheeseburger or maybe a passing monkey.
Old 04-23-07, 01:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

There's a story on Yahoo that one of the last seven female Amur leopards, that were part of the forest episode last night, that are still in the wild was found shot to death yesterday

http://www.yahoo.com/s/563902
Old 04-23-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Hunters kill one of last Amur Leopards" should change to "Murderers kill one of last Amur Leopards"! Hunters should only hunt for food, not kill and leave it behind. sheesh.
Old 04-23-07, 03:22 PM

that gets me mad when people just kill for just the fun of it. especially something thats so rare
Old 04-23-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
the ducklings jumping out of the tall tree in 'Forests' was soooo cute

aaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Our baby was sleeping next to us and we were trying so hard not to bust out laughing. That was hilarious. I actually rewound the DVR after the first one not knowing an avalanche of flying chicks was on the way!
Old 04-29-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got the HD-DVD...

Amazing amazing show. I work at Best Buy so I got the guys in Magnolia to use the Blu-Ray discs as demo material. Less than a day after we put it on the TVs we sold all of our Blu-Ray, half our DVD and HD-DVD copies.

Loving this. Just started 'Ice Worlds'
Old 04-29-07, 10:49 PM

Got the HD-DVD friday and love it. Watched the Cave, Iceworld ones so far. In the Ice world one it was so sad seeing that Bear die. Seeing him swim for days and not get any food then getting wounded. I couldnt be the camera man I would intervene.
Old 04-30-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I clicked on this thread thinking I clicked the Rosie O' Donald leaving the View thread and saw chimps. I laughed.

I may get an HD-DVD Player just for this show (and a few backlog titles ).
Old 04-30-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This is one of my favorite things that's been on TV for the past few years. A lot of times I get that "whoah" feeling I get while watching, say, Lost, but this time it's (mostly) real.

And the Birds of Paradise are hilarious. They've been in at least three episodes, IIRC.
Old 04-30-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ordered my dvd copy yesterday. ships today or tomorrow. can't wait!