Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Planet Earth tonight

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mopower
So is this just a nature show? I mean just animals from around the world? Why is this show special?
It's special because of what they were able to shoot. It's not full of the same old shots we've all seen a million times. Instead it's full of unique, never before filmed behaviors and animals. Plus, it's the best use of HD I've seen yet.

I'm not sure how you can have spoilers for this show, but if you can this link is full of them. It's a list of all the firsts, including behavior, locations and technology. It's a good overview of some of what makes this show so special.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...h_firsts.shtml
Old 03-27-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was suprised how much they stressed the Sun's importance to global climate, I really expected them to jump on the Global Warming band wagon. Well, I've only seen the first two, I'm sure they will get around to it.
Old 03-28-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdutta2000
The slow motion shark attack on a seal was the scariest thing I've ever seen. Forget Jaws...that clip will keep more people out of the ocean. Damn thing must have been 20 feet long!!
"..Out of the Ocean"?! I don't want to live in a WORLD where a friggin' 20-foot Great White can Jump a clear 6 feet out of the water! I played that stupid Jaws videogame for the xbox and laughed at the Shark leaping up onto boats to grab people... LAUGHED! Now that I know they can actually DO THAT?! What else can they do from that game?! Launch oil drums inland to blow up houses? Steal keycards to get into secluded pools?! GODDAMNED CRAZY SHARKS!

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 03-29-07 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 05:55 PM

Yeah, saying this is just a nature show would be like saying The Wire was just a cop show or Seinfeld was just a sitcom. This show is the pinnacle of nature shows.
Old 03-29-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Beautiful series, we watched Pole to Pole last night, and we were both blown away.

Everybody else has mentioned the high points, but I have to second the monkeys walking through the water. I think I could watch a whole episode just of that

As for the Weaver vs Attenborough thing, all thru the episode I kept thinking "if she does the 'she'll breed: you'll die' line, it's an automatic DVD buy."
Old 03-29-07, 04:04 PM

Sorry, not to be an idiot, but is that from Alien(s)? I kept thinking while watching this that Sigourney Weaver was a good choice because she sounds smart naturally, and then I figured it was probably her character in Alien and her character in Ghostbusters that makes me associate her with intelligence.
Old 03-29-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Sorry, not to be an idiot, but is that from Alien(s)? I kept thinking while watching this that Sigourney Weaver was a good choice because she sounds smart naturally, and then I figured it was probably her character in Alien and her character in Ghostbusters that makes me associate her with intelligence.

It's from Alien Resurrection, which I'm proud to admit is my most watched film of the Alien series. Must be the traces of Whedon that remained in the crew of the Betty. It's so much like Firefly it's scary.

Back on topic, anyone expecting them to push the penguins more to capitalize on the penguin craze lately?
Old 04-01-07, 04:09 PM

Okay, got it. Thanks. I'm really only an Alien and Aliens guy.

Looking forward to Deserts in a few hours. One of the things I noticed last week was that the panaramic shots of the landscapes were almost as cool as the animals themselves. Gotta appreciate the amount of thought they put into getting new and interesting shots (see the lava and mountain shots from last week).
Old 04-01-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
The Baboons in the water from the first one was hilarious

Lots of good stuff in all 3
Oh man, that was priceless!
Old 04-01-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

which ep is the shark in? I didn't see it yet.
Old 04-01-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by achau9598
which ep is the shark in? I didn't see it yet.
It was in the very first episode, Pole to Pole.
Old 04-02-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what did you guys think of tonights episodes, deserts and iceworlds ? i thought that they were both pretty good, but didnt have as many "wow" moments as the first 3. I loved the polar bear stuff. Also, who could not love the little penquins, how they huddle together for warmth in the -70 deg. weather
Old 04-02-07, 12:42 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Watching the wounded polar bear collapse was right up there with the baby elephant going the wrong way on the scale.

The ibex fight was pretty cool.
Old 04-02-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
ya the polar bear laying down and dying was really sad.

lil penguin chicks lost in the blizzard was too.
Old 04-02-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be the worlds biggest asshole but all I could think while they were showing the panda bear was, "What a useless freaking animal." Seriously, if they wern't so cute they would've (and maybe should've) been extinct years ago.
Old 04-02-07, 09:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by skiblet
This is probably the most stunning and jaw dropping collection of scenes from nature ever caught on film. The shots from space, and the time lapse photography are also truly amazing.

A must see for any HDTV owner.

Ive only seen 3, but apparently there are 12 ??
I agree, I could watch footage like that alll day.

Originally Posted by james2025a
When i visited my family back in England over Christmas they were all telling me about this show and how cool it was. I have been waiting for it to come on TV over here in the States and watching it last night was well worth the wait. My father mentioned the elephant being taken down by the lions and that sounded pretty wild (for lack of a better word). I can usually watch these programs really easily and appreciate whats happening for the way of the world, but seeing the little calf being chased by the wolf and finally running out of steam made me feel pretty bad for the poor thing. It just fell to its knees and the wolf started biting away at its back. I can imagine more of the same as the show progresses.
I thought that scene would have been in the actual episode, not as a 'making of' segment - it was cool nonetheless.

Originally Posted by slop101
The Attenborough versions are longer, with more fottage - Weaver only narrated the sorter versions and not every scene. So if they gave us the Weaver ones, it'd be the edited down episodes.
Also, as for narration:
Old British guy > Ripley
guess Discovery has to redub these shows so they can alter the metric conversions to the US standard.
Old 04-02-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The overhead shot of the wild hunting dogs peeling off and surrounding the antelopes (?) was amazing. Completly unspoken tactics

And yes...the sheer SCALE of some of these shots is unbelievable...To see that elephant walking you'd think it was shot from a helecoptor a couple hundred feet up, and the camera pulls back and its shot from a plane MILES AWAY!!

During the close shot, you think, maybe theres a pool of water just out of camera range so this elephant will survive, and then by the end of the shot you realize that he's walking twords NOTHING FOR DOZENS OF MILES.

So sad.

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 04-02-07 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-03-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
You learn something new everyday. I had absolutely no idea that there were Oxen living in the Arctic. This show is great.
Old 04-03-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
"..Out of the Ocean"?! I don't want to live in a WORLD where a friggin' 20-foot Great White can Jump a clear 6 feet out of the water! I played that stupid Jaws videogame for the xbox and laughed at the Shark leaping up onto boats to grab people... LAUGHED! Now that I know they can actually DO THAT?! What else can they do from that game?! Launch oil drums inland to blow up houses? Steal keycards to get into secluded pools?! GODDAMNED CRAZY SHARKS!

This whole post cracked me up! You win today. I don't have a prize, but if I did...would be yours.
Old 04-04-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've watched the first 3 and love the footage, but I'm going to stop and wait for the Blu-Ray set. I'll rent the SD discs that have the stuff the BD doesn't have.

To me it's pretty obvious the Discovery versions are edited. The flow is very choppy. I also haven't been too crazy about the compression artifacts I've been seeing with the Discovery broadcast - I'm sure that's my provider's fault. I don't expect to see these in the Blu-Ray presentations.

Also, I'm hoping the UK narration with Attenborough doesn't belabor the "using special cameras blah blah blah" stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.
Old 04-04-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Also, I'm hoping the UK narration with Attenborough doesn't belabor the "using special cameras blah blah blah" stuff.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.
I've seen the first five or so with Attenborough and the only thing I've noticed is how he says "Rarest" and "Largest" 400 times per episode, I have yet to hear him brag about the technology used to film the series. His narration is top notch.
Old 04-04-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
This whole post cracked me up! You win today. I don't have a prize, but if I did...would be yours.

Thankya, sir. It would be even funnier if it was exagerated for effect and if I wasn't ACTUALLY TERRIFIED of the giant leaping sharks.

Doc
Old 04-04-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
You learn something new everyday. I had absolutely no idea that there were Oxen living in the Arctic. This show is great.

Those things were AWESOME. I also had no clue about their existence. With all that hair hanging down covering their entire bodies, all I could think was "there are guys under there. That's a suit. That thing's a Bantha and there should be a Tusken Raider on top of that sucker.

Doc
Old 04-05-07, 04:15 PM

If my dog wasn't so cute, he'd be extinct too, because he's a lot lazier than pandas. But it is what it is.

I don't care at all about the bragging in the film. In some cases that might bother me, but this is one rare interest where they took what I'd say is a huge gamble, and they have a lot to be proud of.
Old 04-05-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
This show is drawing insane ratings for a cable broadcast. Scoring upwards of nearly 6 million viewers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.