Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Chef Season 2 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't that a fashion trend in the 80's when Swatches were popular?
Old 01-18-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LiquidSky
The Sinead look works for Elia since she has a pretty face.....her and Ilan's hair must grow at the speed of light judging from the previews for next week's show.

I have a feeling Sam will win the contest. I started watching the program in the middle of the season and immediately had that feeling.
Not sure you watched last season, but the contestants were definitely back home before the finals for a couple months at least so makes sense they had that much hair in the previews.

Would have to agree that I think Sam will win.
Old 01-18-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Ilan was downright giddy about the whole situation(kinda reminded me of that character in "The Karate Kid" that told Johnny to get a body bag).
I'm cryin' here that was so funny.

Originally Posted by Jadzia
You guys are killing me. I so had like five Swatches on my arm at one time! Ilan's trying to bring it back.
Old 01-19-07, 12:03 AM

They should just take a baseball bat to Marcel's knees and be done with it. These cheftestants are completely out of control this year. I think that I was more disturbed by Ilan's off camera taunting while Cliff was going Ric Flair on Marcel. Ilan was downright giddy about the whole situation(kinda reminded me of that character in "The Karate Kid" that told Johnny to get a body bag). Another question-is there a reason why Ilan has about 5 different watches on his arm?
I have to say that Cliff was more a Chris Masters than a Ric Flair.
Old 01-19-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orderandlaw
I have to say that Cliff was more a Chris Masters than a Ric Flair.

Well, he did have Marcel in a Masterpiece, but if allowed to continue, a figure 4 would have been the finishing move.
Old 01-19-07, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Yes. I never did it but plenty of my pals did. Those thin black rubber bracelets were popular as well. My biggest contribution to bad 1980s fashion were some black parachute pants.
Old 01-19-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think that I was more disturbed by Ilan's off camera taunting while Cliff was going Ric Flair on Marcel.
Yeah Ilan is an asshat. I felt sorry for Marcel. To be woken up out of a dead sleep and head-locked/dragged around by Cliff with Ilan taping and taunting.

Sam and Elia should have tried to stop it. I have a feeling Elia was guzzling a bottle of wine in the bathroom shaving "other" parts of her body while all of this was going on.
Old 01-19-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Glad to see Cliff go, he showed me less then any other contestant, at least its the right final 4. That was a disturbing episode and I am glad the producers kicked him off, what a jerk
Old 01-19-07, 07:44 AM

And Sam had the creepiest look as he laid back on the couch as the whole incident went down.
Old 01-19-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
. I have a feeling Elia was guzzling a bottle of wine in the bathroom shaving "other" parts of her body while all of this was going on.
Hey, thats my fantasy ...................

Anyways, thanks all for reminding me that my wrists were always too big to wear swatch watches back then...Back in therapy for a few weeks.
Old 01-19-07, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Hey, thats my fantasy ...................

Anyways, thanks all for reminding me that my wrists were always too big to wear swatch watches back then...Back in therapy for a few weeks.
Dude, that's when you would link two Swatches together!
Old 01-19-07, 09:08 AM

Well, he did have Marcel in a Masterpiece, but if allowed to continue, a figure 4 would have been the finishing move.
Nah, I'd lean more toward a Stepover Toehold Facelock.
Old 01-19-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by iggystar
You guys are killing me. I so had like five Swatches on my arm at one time! Ilan's trying to bring it back.
I was po', I only had one Swatch in the 1980's. It looked really cool, but was useless as hell to tell time. It was like "Oh, it's half-past a paisley!"
Old 01-19-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad Cliff go the boot, I think the at least Illan should have too for egging him on so much. I continue to be amazed these "professional" think you should act like that, much less on tv. It's not like they're all in college, they're all competing for a big prize.

Cliff would have got the boot anyways from the sounds so it was no real loss anyways.

I'm hoping Marcel or Elia win, but even have a little less respect for Elia since she didn't seem to come to his aid or say something at the time, which I had expected.

I too think Sam is winning this thing
Old 01-21-07, 09:22 AM

Does it amaze you that the TV shows hosts and makers condemned their actions so much, but featured it so promimently on the program?

I thought it was a big load. Whether Cliff acted inappropriately or not, the hosts should have been high-fiving each other because it meant a water cooler topic for the show.
Old 01-21-07, 12:28 PM

I agree that Marcel may not be my pick to win, but with that hair shaving stunt, the three guys don't deserve it either. Glad to see Cliff gone, unless your 15, you are way to old to be pulling that kind of prank. In the case of Sam, why couldn't he have stopped Cliff, that is the same as participating. At lastly, Ilan, that guy should have been booted because of his taunting Cliff to continue. Ilan also shows that he is the worst kind of bully, the little kid that picks on the weak kid, but has the big guy behind him to back him up
Old 01-21-07, 12:44 PM

why couldn't Sam have stopped Cliff? Even if you take the situation at face value (which I surely don't, you and I only saw snibbits) blaming Sam is absurd. You want to book him on the Good Sumaritans Law, ala the last Seinfeld?
Old 01-21-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sam can clearly be seen laughing it up on the couch while Cliff was throwing Marcel around like a ragdoll. Everyone should check out the blogs and boards over at www.bravotv.com . The producers edited this chain of events out of sequence. Ilan and Elia didn't shave their own hair until after the assault on Marcel had taken place(you can see Elia, with hair, laughing after Marcel was finally released by Cliff). This tells me that they knew that they had crossed the line with Marcel and thought that by shaving their own heads would make this appear to be more of a prank. They also show no remorse for their actions because they were all having a good time while shaving their own hair(after already trying to shave Marcel's hair). According to an interview with Marcel, Cliff also followed Marcel into his room, after the wrestling incident, and threw chocolate bars at him.
Old 01-21-07, 01:23 PM

"This tells me that they knew that they had crossed the line with Marcel and thought that by shaving their own heads would make this appear to be more of a prank."

I don't think that inference would hold up in court.

I think I've entered a thread filled with people who were happy to see dodgeball removed from schools.

We should start a charity fund for Marcel so he can have some therapy for this horrific event he had to endure.
Old 01-21-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, why didnt Marcel stop Cliff? Why didnt the camera people stop Cliff? Fact is, it wasnt that big of a deal really. Stupid? Yes. But its not like he was gang raped. Cliff was at fault and he got booted.
Old 01-21-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts
Um, why didnt Marcel stop Cliff?
He was trying.
Old 01-21-07, 11:04 PM

Season 2 was not as good as the first, but its okay just the same. It's great tv though, and I'd watch nEday
Old 01-21-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 766 Likes on 496 Posts
Um, why didnt Marcel stop Cliff?
Because Marcel's little twigs can't compete against Cliff's big arms. I didn't really notice just how big Cliff's arms were until after the incident, and then I just kept thinking how much uglier it made the whole thing: someone that big and strong deciding to manhandle someone so much smaller. I don't like Marcel at all, but I have to admit that I felt for him at the moment (although I still kinda was wishing that the head shaving would have happened, or at least the eyebrows).
Old 01-21-07, 11:29 PM

Um, why didnt Marcel stop Cliff? Why didnt the camera people stop Cliff? Fact is, it wasnt that big of a deal really. Stupid? Yes. But its not like he was gang raped. Cliff was at fault and he got booted.
So I guess any type of assaulting a person short of gang raping a person is OK? C'mon. I mean Marcel was angry about it, but didn't make the hugest deal about it the next day, but it was a very nasty thing to do to a person, especially when they are in a deep sleep. He didn't get arrested or sued, he got booted..a justified punishment.

And Jadzia...I was poor too. I scammed a few Swatches from guys who could careless about them and wore my sister's (she was too young to appreciate).

Half past paisley? :: Funny I actually got used to the things and could tell time, even with mine which had no number it was a white faced.
Old 01-24-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Viewer alert-

Tonight's episode is 75 minutes long, so be careful if you're recording it. Also, they'll edit this episode down to the usual 60 minutes for future airings, so make sure that you watch it tonight as to not miss any of the drama.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.