Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2006 Emmy Nominations

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being the nerd that I am, I looked at the acting nominations to see which ones won't be nominated next year because the show is canceled. Obviously, I didn't look at Miniseries, Movies, Variety or Music since those pretty much change every year.

Only two categories, Leading Actor in a Comedy and Guest Actor in a Drama, had no canceled shows in their nominations. The others are as follows:

Drama: The West Wing

Comedy: Arrested Development

Lead Actor, Drama: Peter Krause (Six Feet Under) and Martin Sheen (The West Wing)

Lead Actress, Drama: Frances Conroy (Six Feet Under, Geena Davis (Commander in Chief) and Allison Janney (The West Wing)

Personal Note: With three not elgible next year, I can only hope that Kristen Bell gets nominated for wonderful work on Veronica Mars.

Lead Actress, Comedy: Jane Kaczmarek (Malcolm in the Middle), Lisa Kudrow (The Comeback), Stockard Channing (Out of Practice) and Debra Messing (Will and Grace)

Personal Note: This can be seen as a good sign that Lauren Graham will get her long, long, long overdue nomination in this category next year.

Supporting Actor, Comedy: Will Arnet (Arrested Development), Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) and Sean Hayes (Will and Grace)

Supporting Actress, Comedy: Megan Mullally (Will and Grace)

Suppoting Actor, Drama: Oliver Platt (Huff) and Alan Alda (The West Wing)

Personal Note: Based on screen time, I would have flipped his and Martin Sheen's spots, but the actors are free to pick which category they want to be considered for.

Supporting Actress, Drama: Blythe Danner (Huff)

Guest Actor, Comedy: Alec Baldwin (Will and Grace) and Leslie Jordan (Will and Grace)

Guest Actress, Comedy: Cloris Leachman (Malcolm in the Middle) and Blythe Danner (Will and Grace)

Guest Actress, Drama: Swoosie Kurtz (Huff), Patricia Clarkson (Six Feet Under) and Joanna Cassidy (Six Feet Under)
Old 07-06-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I generally don't give a shit about the Emmys but every once in awhile I care about a category. Hugh Laurie not only should be nominated but should win. I couldn't believe he lost to James Spader last year and is not even nominated this year. Laurie is head and shoulders above anyone else acting in a series today.

I care a little bit that Lost and Battlestar Galactica were snubbed. But snubbing Laurie is simply incomprehensible.
Old 07-06-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The nominees for Best Actress in a comedy are a joke
Agreed... Every single year I delude myself into think that this might just be the year that Lauren Graham gets by with a nomination, but them I am disapointed. Last year I understood, Hartcher, Huffman, and Cross all deserved their nomination - and now this year its just a moshposh of different shows (three of which have been cancelled)...

I am very happy that Six Feet Under got teh acting nods and the series finale was nominated in what seems like every eligible category, it should have gotten 'Soprano's' nomination for Dramatic Series, the finale was honestly the best hour of television i have ever seen.

One last thing is that I am happy to see 'Arrested Development' up for best comedy. I only watched a few of the episodes (95% of my television is Drama/Dramedy for one reason or another), but I am happy for the fans and crew. Also, I was pleased as punch to see Geena Davis - I just discovered CIC this last weekend thanks to the DVDs and I can't believe how awesome of a show I missed out on it was...

Personal Note: This can be seen as a good sign that Lauren Graham will get her long, long, long overdue nomination in this category next year.
This is totally stupid, and the completist in me saying this... But I think that if Graham gets nominated for the show now that ASP has left, it just wouldn't feel complete....
Old 07-06-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am sick from reading that list. The new method of voting sucks.

Lost should be defending its title. Veronica slipped and the GG was awful, but the performances of Kristen and Lauren deserve nominations.

Where is the love for Big Love? It was much better than the Sopranos.

Good to see a lot of noms for Colbert, Stewart, Letterman, and O'Brien...and no Leno!

He's been left out so many times now, I'm not sure how he can even come into work. He should just give his show to Conan now.
Old 07-06-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How did no one from Arrested Development get nominated for Comedy Guest? I guess Charlize Theron and Dave Thomas were on too many episodes?
Old 07-06-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed... Every single year I delude myself into think that this might just be the year that Lauren Graham gets by with a nomination, but them I am disapointed. Last year I understood, Hartcher, Huffman, and Cross all deserved their nomination - and now this year its just a moshposh of different shows (three of which have been cancelled)...
Actually 4. The only one that can be nominated next year is Julia-Louis Dreyfuss for The New Adventures of Old Christine.
Old 07-06-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Six Feet Under better win for every category that "Everyone's Waiting" was nominated for. That might be the best Series Finale ever.
I agree
Old 07-06-06, 07:50 PM

No Big Love? That's ridiculous.
Old 07-06-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, what a Best Actor race. . .

3 of my favorites, Meloni, Sutherland and Leary up against each other. (I don't watch "West Wing", and I've not started on the SFU season sets, though I like Peter Krause in other things.)

Among the 3 I watch, I have to go with Denis Leary for the win. It's an amazing show, and he pulls off the emotional shifts in that show wonderfully, from the big comedy-to-tragedy jumps to the more subtle touches.
Old 07-07-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by scoot95
24 + The Office + Arrested Development =

Couldn't have picked better nominees in my opinion.
I second that. I especially love the notice Jean Smart and Gregory Itzen have gotten. Hopefully GI will win that one. He put on the best performance on tv all year.
Old 07-07-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Biggest snub for me are: VERONICA MARS for best drama, Kristen Bell and Enrico Colantoni; HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER for Best Comedy Series and Neil Patrick Harris for Best Supporting Actor.

Most pleasant surprise was the nomination of the the SOUTH PARK "Trapped in the Closet" episode for Best Animated Program

http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=5119528

Last edited by Doc Moonlight; 07-07-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-07-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts
No Emmy love for Dwigt?
Old 07-08-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Six Feet Under better win for every category that "Everyone's Waiting" was nominated for. That might be the best Series Finale ever.

Might be!? No, it was

Yeah, I can't believe the stinkin' "West Wing" is still getting nominations.
Old 07-09-06, 01:18 AM

24 with the most emmy nominations
Old 07-09-06, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I am sick from reading that list. The new method of voting sucks.
In fact, there is actual talk that the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences may require people who nominate the films see multiple episodes of a single season and also there is some talk of adding "dramatic comedy" categories, which would better encompass shows like Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, and maybe even Desperate Housewives.
Old 07-09-06, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RayChuang
there is some talk of adding "dramatic comedy" categories, which would better encompass shows like Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, and maybe even Desperate Housewives.
That is one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time. Why not do away with the artificial "comedy" and "drama" binary and just give out awards for "Best Half-Hour Television Series" and "Best Hour-Long Television Series"?
Old 07-09-06, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper

Yeah, I can't believe the stinkin' "West Wing" is still getting nominations.
I swear that I'm going to puke if Alison Janney wins again. I've liked her ever since I saw her in Private Parts, but enough already!!!
Old 07-09-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
scrubs or the office better win
I agree. I dont think that there was not enough love for scrubs this season. Especially since it was the best season yet.
Old 07-10-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't believe that with over 50 nominations over the course of the series, 'Six Feet Under,' will never win Outstanding Drama Series.

I knew that it hadn't won previously (but was nominated for seasons 1-3), but when I was watching season 5 last summer, I thought to myself (finally, it's going to win! Especially with the last four episodes of the series - don't even get my started on the series finale (which in my personal opinion is the single best television episode I have ever seen))... But the emmy's did it again, I mean I should be used to it by now (how hard would it be to nominate Lauren Graham the most deserving person, I know she'll never win (I'm not that naive), but the nomination would be nice... but now Emmy snubs the most deserving show that actually had a chance...

sorry about the rant