Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Final 3 -- 05/16/06

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be going home on Wednesday night?
Katherine McPhee
30.17%
Elliott Yamin
62.93%
Taylor Hicks
6.90%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol -- Final 3 -- 05/16/06

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by moocher
I'm baffled. What exactly did she do wrong? How did she "suck"? I can see maybe not liking the songs but how did she perform them so badly that she sucked? Particularly the 2nd and 3rd songs (which I thought were flawless).
I have to agree with twikoff here... her 1st and 3rd songs hit some odd notes.
Old 05-16-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by moocher
I'm baffled. What exactly did she do wrong? How did she "suck"? I can see maybe not liking the songs but how did she perform them so badly that she sucked? Particularly the 2nd and 3rd songs (which I thought were flawless).
My biggest problem with her - other than that she has that "silver spoon" vibe which someone alluded to earlier - is that she tries too hard to impress people with her voice. She does all of these runs and embellishments in songs where such elements are not needed. If she would just sing the song with an emotional hook - moments of "Over the Rainbow" showed that tonight - she would find that totally original sound Davis talked about tonight.

She's not bad, talent wise. She just needs to take some constructive criticism about her talent. That "you guys have been so hard on me" type comment tonight summed up her attitude towards the judges comments the entire run of the show. If she honestly listened and had made some improvements the last few weeks, I wouldn't have been so critical of her. Heck, Elliott has improved, even though he's still a very raw talent and needs a lot more training before he can make a push to the next level. Katherine, on the other hand, refuses to grow. She'll eventually hit a wall that she won't be able to overcome because she refuses to acknowledge that it exists.

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-16-06 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
are you kidding about the 3rd song?
she was all over the place.. she couldnt decide whether to be flat or off pitch, so she alternated
OK, I guess we just differ. You heard a performance that was off key the entire song (flat and "off pitch" are the same thing) which I agree would suck if that's what she did. The judges didn't even say that (their usual "pitchy" comment). I thought she was on key the entire time but maybe I should listen again because your take on it still baffles me.
Old 05-16-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twikoff, can I join you aboard the Katherine McPhee hate train?

I have always thought she was an overrated big nothing, so it is nice to see someone else thinks so.

Old 05-16-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DGibFen
She does all of these runs and embellishments in songs where such elements are not needed. If she would just sing the song with an emotional hook - moments of "Over the Rainbow" showed that tonight - she would find that totally original sound Davis talked about tonight.
I think Elliott does more of that than anyone in the competition.

Originally Posted by DGibFen
That "you guys have been so hard on me" type comment tonight summed up her attitude towards the judges comments the entire run of the show.
I agree with you here. Last week she was subpar and deserved the criticism. However, this week she wasn't (IMO). I was as shocked as she was this time when they didn't like her performances.

Look, I'm no Katharine fan and have said virtually nothing about her until this week. I just thought tonight that her performances were as good as I've heard from her and felt the need to comment since the judges were pretty harsh (other than on the 2nd song).
Old 05-16-06, 09:10 PM

DialIdol.com info....
Spoiler:
Katherine is edging Elliot on DialIdol.com

Last edited by SBrooks1; 05-16-06 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia

I have always thought she was an overrated big nothing, so it is nice to see someone else thinks so.

"Overrated big nothing." Man, you guys are pretty tough. Does anybody in this thing have talent? Oh yeah, seems I remember you guys loving Paris and before her Mandisa. Love Paris but Katharine "a big nothing". Double on that.
Old 05-16-06, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia

I want to hop on board too. As far as her second performance goes, she's no Sam Harris.
Old 05-16-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Elliott should be "winning" this poll by a large margin. He is unbelievably boring on stage.
Old 05-16-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

kat hasnt been in the same league as her competitors for a few weeks now
Time to add Twikoff to these polls so we can vote HIM off!

I don't get all the Kat hate. her 2nd and 3rd songs tonight were very good. I liked Taylor's 2nd song, but the other 2 were just blah. I like the "drunk uncle" description of him and hope he goes so we have an Elliott/Kat finale. Taylor is too much of an "act" whereas El and Kat are singers first. I just don't think Taylor will translate to radio well since we won't see his spasms when he's singing/yelling.
Old 05-16-06, 09:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
SBrooks1, please put your DialIdol results in spoiler tags.

As for the show, that arrangement of "Try a Little Tenderness" was terrible. Egads!
Old 05-16-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Elliot was horrible ! He is gone.

Taylor did well on all of his songs.
Katherine was great on the 2nd and 3rd.
Old 05-16-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I now I'll probably stand alone here, but I thought Elliott's last song was the night's best performance. Its obscurity to most of the audience surely doesn't help, but the performance was good.

As for Kat, I'll have to join with twikoff regarding Kat's performance of Over the Rainbow. It started well and then just got...well...tedious. I definitely think it was better handled by Kim Locke in Season Two. Thought her last performance tonight was her best, though that kind of number is typically a death knell on this show.

And as for Taylor, I thought he was overall okay tonight. Love his voice but his arrangements need work. And to be honest, I'd be happy to vote him off at this point only to cease the borderline obsessive "Soul Patrol" shout-outs. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was auditioning for a lead in "Rain Man 2."
Old 05-16-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

she knows where her bread is buttered
You're like a broken record, with a tin ear.

Based on tonight, Kat should win this whole thing. Over The Rainbow was incredible, and it's hard to make a song that has been sung so well, so often, come off with a unique twist. Her 3rd (sorry) song was excellent too. She's got the best total package in a long time on this show, although it took me awhile to warm to her.

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 05-16-06 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm glad I don't vote in these things, because I wouldn't know what the hell to do. Kat had the best performance of the night and the worst. Like I've said before, put her in a studio with multiple takes, and she'll make one hell of an album. Put her on stage, and she'll butcher half the songs. Elliot was nervous on the 1st, good on the 2nd, and self-indulgent on the 3rd. Taylor was a spazz, and while his version of "You are So Beautiful" was nice, anyone can sing that song and sound good. They're always talking about "taking chances" on this show, and that was the absolute safest choice possible.

Like I said, I'm glad I don't vote. None of these people should win, but I'd buy Kat's "Over the Rainbow" single ... and her Penthouse spread the following year.

das
Old 05-16-06, 11:04 PM

Kat was probably the best overall tonight, even with the first song.

Taylor was good too but I didn't feel much in You Are So Beautiful. It might be because I think that song could have been written by an eight-year-old. One of the most boring songs in pop history.

Elliott.....I love the guys voice but he did himself no favors with the last song. The only one I liked tonight was the second one which was perfect for him.

If quality were an indicator based on tonight's performances (because people have a memory span of about 25 minutes) I think it will be Taylor and Katherine with Taylor winning. I'm just not confident that Elliott might not sneak through.
Old 05-16-06, 11:06 PM

The fact they everyone seems to be complaining about McPhee, and hardly anyone about Taylor proves why this show is a sham as a singing contest. None of the contestants at the time are anything too special, but Taylor is such a mediocre talent. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. He butchered a few classics tonight, and had one ok enough performance. But his fun personality and dancing is getting him through (ala JPL).
Old 05-16-06, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Link_182
The fact they everyone seems to be complaining about McPhee, and hardly anyone about Taylor proves why this show is a sham as a singing contest. None of the contestants at the time are anything too special, but Taylor is such a mediocre talent. Guys like him are a dime a dozen. He butchered a few classics tonight, and had one ok enough performance. But his fun personality and dancing is getting him through (ala JPL).
I personally think Taylor is a great, great, great singer. That's why I first liked him. It certainly isn't his looks let me tell you. He came into the auditions and I am thinking "this clown is going to stink" and then he started singing and I was blown away. I was actually with a group of folks and they all were blown away. Although I occasionally flirt with Kat, he's been my favorite ever since.

I thought the entire top 5 were very good singers. Elliott isn't my cup of Starbucks, but he has a good voice. I would have been ok with any of them winning, I just would rather it be Taylor.
Old 05-17-06, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure what's up with the Katharine bashing. Oh wait, I figured it out, they're all the bitter Pickler fans!!

I was about to write her off when I heard she was singing "Over the Rainbow." EW. But wow, she was incredible. Such a heartfelt intimate performance. Sort of reminded me of (and I hope my memory serves me) when Anwar sang "What a Wonderful World" last season. Cliche, boring song, but he brought new life to it. Amazing. If that performance for Kat doesn't put her through, wow. To me it was the only memorable one of the night.

I also think that whole "silver spoon" thing is a load of B.S. Where did this come from? Just cause her mom is a singing coach? Big flipping deal. She would have just as much advantage as anyone else who's taking voice lessons for several years....but just cause its in house and she doesn't have to pay...? wtf, ok.

I think she was right to criticize the judges criticisms. They seem to expect so much from her that if it doesn't meet their expectations, they beat her down. "Oh that wasn't the right song choice for you." Rarely do they say she was pitchy and all that. I think they're being harder on her BECAUSE her mom's a vocal coach.

Also, sure she may be all over the place on certain songs, but that's something she can improve on if this becomes her profession. She definitely has more potential than the other two. With the years of performing under Taylor's belt, I don't see how he could improve a whole bunch. Elliot is just...well...he does too many runs. And he's not pretty.

Elliot must go.
Old 05-17-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Taylor is a decent singer, but "great, great, great???" I just haven't seen it. I think everyone got so caught up in the fact that he was different from the usual run of the mill contestant on the show, and overrated his talent because of it. When you take a real close look at all of his performances, he has been pretty consistent, but it is consistently mediocre, with the occasional above average performance. Not once has he really put on an amazing performance, something that cannot be said for either Kat or Elliott. Both of them have been more up and down, but they have reached highs that Taylor just hasn't, IMO.

I don't see any way Taylor can lose this competition, but it doesn't change the fact that he really is nothing special. I'm not saying Kat or Elliott necessarily are, but I have read so many accounts of a lot of you people just creaming in your panties over his talent, and I ask myself "what am I missing here?"
Old 05-17-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
...I have read so many accounts of a lot of you people just creaming [sexual pudding] in your panties over his talent, and I ask myself "what am I missing here?"
When Kat is on, she can beat Taylor. Taylor's gonna win tho. And I'm fine with that, cause Kat will still cut a record. Raar. And be in Blender??? Ooooh.
Old 05-17-06, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I don't see any way Taylor can lose this competition, but it doesn't change the fact that he really is nothing special. I'm not saying Kat or Elliott necessarily are, but I have read so many accounts of a lot of you people just creaming in your panties over his talent, and I ask myself "what am I missing here?"
Please leave said panties out of it.

Just because you don't see the talent does not mean it isn't there or that all his fans deluded themselves because he is "different." It may just mean he isn't your thing and he is ours. I see where you are coming from though. I never saw what people liked in Carrie Underwood last year, but her cd is selling like crazy.

If
the final is Taylor and Kat, I have no idea who will win. Both have A Games good enough to win, but Taylor occasionally phones in his performances, and Kat has let her nerves get the best of her before so you just don't know with her. I think either of them could win.

That would be a good finale for me, finally, two people I like trying for the title.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-17-06 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-17-06, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you can make a case for any of the three to become the next American Idol.

Based on marketability -- looks and voice -- it should be Katherine McPhee.

Taylor, god bless his heart, is a great "performer". He has a good voice, has soul (that he apparently uses to lead the "soul patrol"), and has a trademark dance move (whatever you want to call it...yeah, i know most of us can easily dance like that), but I think the moneymaker for the AI producers would be to have someone that can be seen on MTV (a la Kelly Clarkson), CMT (Carrie Underwood), and BET (although I can't say Ruben was all that successful, and I never hear Fantasia's name anymore).

Where does Taylor fit in? Maybe VH-1? I dunno.

The person that would need to win the most is Elliot. If he doesn't, he's just going to fade into obscurity.

My favorite is Katherine. She has an awesome voice, is unfairly critiqued (most of the time), and, well...she's great to look at. I think she's this year's Anwar Robinson. Great voice, but according to the judges, is not using in properly (or picks the wrong songs).

**I thought it was hilarious Randy said that she should've chose a different song (instead of the dreaded "I Believe I Can Fly"), and she came back with the "I didn't choose the song" comment. Um, Randy should've known that.

However -- and going back to Chris -- I wouldn't mind any one of the remaining performers becoming the next AI. No one performer is heads and shoulders better than any of the others.
Old 05-17-06, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by onebyone
Please leave said panties out of it.

Just because you don't see the talent does not mean it isn't there or that all his fans deluded themselves because he is "different." It may just mean he isn't your thing and he is ours. I never for the life of me saw what people liked in Carrie Underwood last year, but her cd is selling like crazy.

If
the final is Taylor and Kat, I have no idea who will win. Both have A Games good enough to win, but Taylor occasionally phones in his performances, and Kat has let her nerves get the best of her before so you just don't know with her. I think either of them could win.

That would be a good finale for me, finally, two people I like trying for the title.
Fair enough, except Taylor is actually the only contestant that has ever been on the show that would put something out I may, just may, consider listening to. I do like his style and all, but I really feel that most people have been overrating him since day 1, because he is such a likeable guy. Not just on this board, but the voters especially. He has never even been in the bottom 3, if I am not mistaken. Is he really that much better than the other contestants? I just don't see it. I have enjoyed some of his performances, but his talent just is not THAT great. Yes, that is my opinion. What the hell isn't on these boards?

Last edited by SexualPudding; 05-17-06 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-17-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Taylor is clearly going to win. I can't imagine anyone getting excited about Katharine or Elliot at this point. Katharine did well with the second song--though started to fall into the trap of embellishing it too much at the end--but her first and third performances were really, really awful. Especially the third...I have no idea why she chose that. She seemed awfully smiley for someone with nothing but the blues...er, I mean, the "blue-boo-boo-booes." I really don't remember anything of Elliot's 3 performances--none were awful, but none were great, and none were interesting; I think he's gone. Clive Davis certainly didn't do him any favors with Open Arms, which was especially boring.

I don't know what it is about Taylor; maybe I like his taste in music, or personality, or something... I've never voted on American Idol before this season, and I've voted for him every week this year. I'm shocked that he's probably going to win--I was excited about voting for him at first becuase I thought he'd be gone in the first few weeks. For some reason I'm rather excited about the prospect of him winning--he's like such an unlikely candidate to win on a show like this that there seems subversive about it.

Last edited by The Zizz; 05-17-06 at 05:00 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.