Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "What Kate Did" -- 11.30.2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since I don't have TiVo, I bought the episode on iTunes and watched it tonight. Looks like Sayid is being led away for questioning after Shannon's comment about him being a terrorist in the airport. Obviously, he was eventually cleared.

Kate's stuff was goofy, but overall it was a good episode. I really am looking forward to seeing Mr. Eko's background. By the way, I hope that I, as an atheist, wasn't the only one to answer "yes" when Eko asked, "Do you know this story?"
Old 12-04-05, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Neeb

He had a Combat Infantryman's Badge. It is only awarded to Infantrymen in Combat action (WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Op Desert Storm, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq). Additionally, he was wearing a Combat Patch (Patch on the right arm, awarded when any soldier participates in a military combat).
Which appears to be from the 6th Infantry Divison- which was based out of Alaska.http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/6id.htm
Despite combat experience, there's nothing to say he knowingly killed anyone.
I looked up the 6th from seeing the patch:

Worn from: 10 January 1945 - 1957.
The Sixth United States Army was activated in January 1943 at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. Among other heroic feats, it is credited with the liberation of Manila at a cost of over thirty- seven thousand casualties. The six-pointed star refers to the number six, and the red letter "A" signifies army.

Campaigns: World War II (New Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago, Leyte, Luzon).

Decorations: Meritorious Unit Commendation (streamer embroidered Pacific Theater), Philippine Presidential Unit Citation (streamer embroidered 17 October 1944 to July 1945.
Of course, the South Pacific reference.
Old 12-04-05, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Looks like Sayid is being led away for questioning after Shannon's comment about him being a terrorist in the airport. Obviously, he was eventually cleared.
If I remember this right, Shannon's comment about him being a terrorist in the airport was in Sidney just before flight 815 took off. At that time Kate was wearing handcuffs in Australia, not watching television with her father in the US.....
Old 12-04-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Crichton
If I remember this right, Shannon's comment about him being a terrorist in the airport was in Sidney just before flight 815 took off. At that time Kate was wearing handcuffs in Australia, not watching television with her father in the US.....
You're right. Maybe this was following the suicide bomber thing.
Old 12-04-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
You're right. Maybe this was following the suicide bomber thing.
The timeline still doesn't work out. The suicide bomber incident was only a few days before Sayid boarded the plane. Kate's original crime happened long before that. In Exodus part 1, the marshall mentions chasing her for 3 years.

Here's what we know of Kate after her original crime:

- Went into hiding after fleeing from the car crash with the Marshall. She keeps in contact with someone who eventually informs her that her mother's sick.

- Goes to visit her mom, gets her highschool sweetheart killed.

- Goes back into hiding. Starts communicating with the Marshall, finds out he has her sweetheart's toy plane.

- Steals the Marshall's key. robs the bank to get the toy plane, goes back into hiding.

- Flees to Australia, ends up staying at a farmer's place for 3 months before he rats her out.

Still a lot of gaps in there for more backstory.
Old 12-04-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh, I forgot about Kate visiting her mom in the hospital. Did she kill her by injecting some drug? Why did she kill her mother?
Old 12-04-05, 10:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
For anyone interested in seeing the horse hand goof (animated .gif) :

Old 12-04-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Oh, I forgot about Kate visiting her mom in the hospital. Did she kill her by injecting some drug? Why did she kill her mother?
She didn't kill her mom. She went to visit her mom in the hospital, getting Tom, her highschool sweetheart, to help since he's a doctor at the hospital. Tom gets her mom away from the cops, Kate tries to talk to her, but her mom freaks out and starts screaming for help. Kate flees, with Tom following her. While trying to flee the scene in Tom's car, Tom gets shot by the police and dies.

There was also a part in the episode where Kate and Tom dig up an old time capsule they buried as kids, which had Tom's toy airplane in it.
Old 12-04-05, 10:53 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
- Flees to Australia, ends up staying at a farmer's place for 3 months before he rats her out.
Haha, just thought of something...it's surely nothing, but I want it in writing in case it does amount to something ...the farmer had 1 arm, didn't he? Dr. Marvin Candle has one arm. Uh oh! And if the farmer didn't have 1 arm, I'm more crazy than I thought.
Old 12-04-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
She didn't kill her mom. She went to visit her mom in the hospital, getting Tom, her highschool sweetheart, to help since he's a doctor at the hospital. Tom gets her mom away from the cops, Kate tries to talk to her, but her mom freaks out and starts screaming for help. Kate flees, with Tom following her. While trying to flee the scene in Tom's car, Tom gets shot by the police and dies.

There was also a part in the episode where Kate and Tom dig up an old time capsule they buried as kids, which had Tom's toy airplane in it.
BTW - I have a theory that the plane will have the numbers on it or an Oceanic logo.
Old 12-05-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what episode is this from?
Old 12-05-05, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Birrman54
what episode is this from?
1x22 - Born to Run
Old 12-05-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
BTW - I have a theory that the plane will have the numbers on it or an Oceanic logo.

if that's a joke it makes no sense.
Old 12-05-05, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
if that's a joke it makes no sense.
s/he's talking about the toy plane will have an Oceanic logo or the same flight number on it. It would kind of be on par for the show but I think Kate would of noticed that by now.
Old 12-05-05, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by John Crichton
1x22 - Born to Run
That ep seems to deal with Sayid's flashback (suicide bomber friend), are you sure?

birrman54
Old 12-05-05, 02:13 PM

No, he's right. 1 x 22 {Born to Run} is Kate's ep. According to tv.com:

"Lastly, flashbacks of Kate's past reveal happier times with the "love of her life," Tom, (guest-star MacKenzie Astin) prior to his death and a visit to her ill mother."

Meanwhile, 1 x 21 {The Greater Good (a.k.a. Sides)} is Sayid's:

"Sayid's past involves the CIA and a suicide bomber."
Old 12-05-05, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by jjamesc
No, he's right. 1 x 22 {Born to Run} is Kate's ep. According to tv.com:

"Lastly, flashbacks of Kate's past reveal happier times with the "love of her life," Tom, (guest-star MacKenzie Astin) prior to his death and a visit to her ill mother."

Meanwhile, 1 x 21 {The Greater Good (a.k.a. Sides)} is Sayid's:

"Sayid's past involves the CIA and a suicide bomber."
ah my mistake, I had those two episodes incorrectly named.

birrman54
Old 12-12-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For all the Ana Lucia fans...

From TVguide.com

Question: Do you think there is some gender bias involved in the outright hatred many Lost fans have for Ana Lucia? For my money, she is the first female character to match the emotional baggage and personal flaws that the best of the male characters on that show bring to the table. People adore Locke (who is kind of unbalanced and whose actions led indirectly to the death of Boone), Sawyer (needlessly aggressive at times and a former con artist), and Sayid (has tortured people as recently as a month and a half ago), but Ana Lucia has been vilified almost from the start. I think the fact that her character is deeply flawed and has already made some huge mistakes on the island makes her an interesting character to watch: not a villain, but a compelling and captivating dramatic character. But to hear many fans talk about her, I keep hearing the word "bitch" thrown around, and I have a hard time believing the outrage would be so pointed if there was a badass new guy on the show. Am I totally off base here, or is there some truth to this? — Ryan J.

Matt Roush: Ooh, what a great love/hate debate. I was rather taken aback by how much hate mail I got about the character (much of it personally aimed at the actress, Michelle Rodriguez), and I agree that one thing Lost needed (and now has) is another female character besides Kate (another source of constant bickering) — one who can literally take prisoners and yet, for those with open minds, who may eventually be able to earn viewers' sympathy. I find her intriguing, not nearly as off-putting as so many seem to. But Ryan isn't alone.

From Karen B.: "I disagree with Jennifer C.'s comment that the Ana Lucia character is 'written and played so broadly.' Whether or not Michelle Rodriguez deserves to win an award, I've known people who were very much like her. To draw on my introductory psych course (cough), she seems to have a borderline personality disorder, and having known a couple of people who have the same, I'd say it's a fairly realistic depiction. These people tend to see things in black and white, become very angry at people who disagree with them at all, and tend to try to get what they want through rage or charm or whatever it takes, but they are also deeply unhappy people. Sound familiar? Of course, this is Lost, so what we think we know about a character now can often change after a few episodes." Well, that much is true.

From Lauren: "Sure, she had to be tough on a lot of people, but that toughness of hers just may have saved everyone's lives. So why is there so much hate directed towards her?"

From Joyce L.: "I get the feeling that a lot of the viewers are transferring their dislike of Michelle Rodriguez and the characters she's played in her movies to this character. I had no preconceived notions because I had never heard of her until they made such a big deal over her being added to the cast. Anyway, I've tried to give her a chance based on what her group of survivors have gone through since the plane crash. Someone had to step up and take the lead so the group would survive. The backstory on the next episode after "The Other 48 Days" explained her issues but didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about the character. I think she will shake things up a bit and add something to the mix of characters we know. Not sure I'd want to be around her all the time, though. And whoever wondered why none of our people have hit back yet was right. She needs a dose of chill pills. Now, the character who does intrigue me is Mr. Eko. Can't wait until they tell us more about him. And Desmond, too. They're both really great additions to the cast."

Couldn't agree more about Eko, and it sounds like they've already started working on his backstory as well.
Old 12-12-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think anyone has a problem with AL being a bitch or a badass. Many of Lost's fans are Alias fans, the ultimate female badass show. It'sa combination of MR's by now routine mock-Antonio Banderas sneer, and Ana Lucia's clunky story arc. I truly think many people feel betrayed by the promise of the character as she appeared in the Season 1 finale. Maybe the writers can salvage her, but I think it's time to turn her into polar bear food.
Old 12-19-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got a chance to watch the last 2 episodes. This episode is friggin AWESOME! Minimum AL this week gets a major Kate and Sun

I still don't understand why Kate's dad said she would kill Wayne if she ever found out Wayne is her bio-father. I thought someone would have more motive and hatre to kill their stepdad.
Old 12-19-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
I don't think anyone has a problem with AL being a bitch or a badass. Many of Lost's fans are Alias fans, the ultimate female badass show. It'sa combination of MR's by now routine mock-Antonio Banderas sneer, and Ana Lucia's clunky story arc. I truly think many people feel betrayed by the promise of the character as she appeared in the Season 1 finale. Maybe the writers can salvage her, but I think it's time to turn her into polar bear food.
I could live with that, we haven't seen the polar bear in a while. BUT, that would also mean less estrogen on the show. She is annoying, but there are only so many female leads so far, she will probably be with us for quite some time.