Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "What Kate Did" -- 11.30.2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps the "murder in her heart" is what has kept Kate from being taken by the Others. Remember, it was said that they were taking the "good" ones. We know that Kate, Sawyer, Jin, Charlie, and many from the front section of the plane all carry some deep skeleton with them.
Old 12-02-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
Isn't it odd that Kate's dad says he doesn't have murder in his heart. He's in the army, for chrissake! That's what he does for a living!
Let me guess. You do not agree with the war in Irag, right?
Old 12-02-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Birrman54
In the season premiere, during the ER flashback scene, the man in the SUV is referred to as Adam Rutherford, 57.

I'm fairly sure that's her father.

birrman54
You're right. I completely forgot about that.
Old 12-02-05, 09:39 AM
Banned

Dharma Industries, anyone?

I noticed that the Dharma Industries site is going a little further now. I got access to the computer screen, entered the 'numbers' and got to a 'Member ID' login. Anyone get further? That's http://www.dharmaindustries.com/, btw.
Old 12-02-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
As far as Walt communicating with his father on the computer, could it be his use of psychokinesis (since as many have pointed out on this thread that the computer is doing things that wouldn't be happening under normal circumstances) or perhaps Walt simply is at another computer terminal and hacked in? Or even worse, could the "Others" be pretending to be Walt and luring Michael into creating the incident which is described in the orientation film?
This is my take on it also, as posted a couple pages ago. I think the Others wanted someone to use the PC for something else and removed the part of the film.

Not sure if I believe it is Walt or not yet...still thinking on that one. But if it is, he was not expecting to communicate with anyone from the island. Maybe placed in a position to see/use the PC, and is just saying hey when he gets a response. The other side of that is it's 'an Other' manipulating the events and knowing Michael will respond and use the PC if he thinks it's his son, setting up the bad things that happen from using it for something other than the numbers.
Old 12-02-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 875 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by BassDude
This is my take on it also, as posted a couple pages ago. I think the Others wanted someone to use the PC for something else and removed the part of the film.
My only problem with that is when the Tailies had the "Other" with them, and they came up to the other dharma site, he looked surprised to see that there. Because he had probably walked all around that area and they never noticed it before. Plus, I don't see the Other's leaving anything behind.
Old 12-02-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From collegehumor (probably taken from somewhere else though).
Old 12-02-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Crichton
Jack worked at that hospotal and walked down that hallway may times every day.........
oh whatever......
it was done intentionally to tie in the fact that they guy from his wife's accident's name was Rutherford.
it let us know that it was the same hospital, and that it was for certain Shannon's father.....
Old 12-02-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Sven and cdollaz: my quote button isn't coming up for some reason, so I'll respond to your posts respectively.

Sven - Yes, I do have murder in my heart. We all do. Hasn't human history proven that enough?

cdollaz - I was completely for the war - based on the cherry picked intelligence so skillfully sold to me by Colin Powell - but once the decision was made to invade a country and totally fuck it up on every conceivable level, ending countless young American and innocent Iraqi's lives, I sorta leaned the other way.
Old 12-02-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
Sven and cdollaz: my quote button isn't coming up for some reason, so I'll respond to your posts respectively.

Sven - Yes, I do have murder in my heart. We all do. Hasn't human history proven that enough?

cdollaz - I was completely for the war - based on the cherry picked intelligence so skillfully sold to me by Colin Powell - but once the decision was made to invade a country and totally fuck it up on every conceivable level, ending countless young American and innocent Iraqi's lives, I sorta leaned the other way.
The hell...? Am I still in the Lost thread?
Old 12-02-05, 07:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
So I'm looking at the screencaps of the military office with Sayid in the background. I turn on the TV to show my mother Sayid on the television and my screen shows almost none of what is in the screencap. Literally, I can see only about 1/4th of the tv screen in the background and the entire computer to the right of Kate's father is gone.

Is the show presented with a format made for widescreen tvs? Because the show has never shown in widescreen for me...and the screencaps are real, right?

Same thing with the horse shot. I went back to see if the hand was there and I see hardly anything to the right of the horse's ass.

great episode. w
Old 12-02-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by david12
So I'm looking at the screencaps of the military office with Sayid in the background. I turn on the TV to show my mother Sayid on the television and my screen shows almost none of what is in the screencap. Literally, I can see only about 1/4th of the tv screen in the background and the entire computer to the right of Kate's father is gone.

Is the show presented with a format made for widescreen tvs? Because the show has never shown in widescreen for me...and the screencaps are real, right?

Same thing with the horse shot. I went back to see if the hand was there and I see hardly anything to the right of the horse's ass.

great episode. w
These are probably from the HD feed (16x9) and do not show up in SD (4x3).
Old 12-02-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Joe Molotov, you're right. All apologies.
Old 12-02-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

great episode. w
They are presented for Widescreen, and look phenomenal in the format.
Old 12-02-05, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The ending with the computer was LAME, and seems borrowed from something else (no, NOT WarGames!), although I can't put my finger on it.
Wake up, Neo. Follow the white rabbit.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Gee, I guess I was the only one underwhelmed by this episode. Didn't care for Kate's backstory. Given her personality in Season One, I think we all thought she did something truly EVIL. I'm like the previous poster - I thought maybe she had killed a child or something along those lines...
I disagree. They have always played her with a sympathetic side from the beginning. From the time she was with the farmer, her first flashback. Even wanting to make sure he got his reward money. I never felt she did anything truly evil. I had a feeling it was going to be something for a reason.
Old 12-03-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Also Kate's Dad played Deep Throats executioner in the X-files.
What's funny is in his scene i was listening to him and thinking how the show had a definite xfiles vibe for that part
Old 12-03-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great episode. w
I work in television news and I know that different TVs show varying widths and lengths of a particular frame. In fact, our weather computers have a feature called "Safe Title" which shows if your graphic will be seen by everyone. For instance, if your graphic is within this particular line, then 100% of the TVs will see it. Within another 2 sets of lines 80% of the people will see it and so forth. If you create your graphic too close to the edge then even less people will see it.

At the ABC affiliate I work at, I had a full screen dub on digital tape of the show, and looking at that scene with the maximum pixels the left edge of the TV with Sayid on it lined up perfectly with the left edge of the screen. Which means since it's so close to the edge, when it's broadcast a certain percentage of TVs won't be able to see most of it. Unfortunately, that included you. I certainly can't wait for the DVDs.

Last edited by jarofclay73; 12-03-05 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-03-05, 08:57 AM

Jack to Ana-Lucia: "...convince me that all women aren't crazy"
reference to his wife???

Sawyer: "Are we saved?"
another purgatory-theory reference???

Discuss.
Old 12-03-05, 12:20 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RickerOne
reference to his wife???

Discuss.
Hmmm, good point about Jack. Hurley has been saying things about the mental hospital to him, which may be setting something up.
Old 12-03-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

reference to his wife???
I thought he was saying it because of Kate kissin' & dissin' him.
Old 12-03-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
reference to his wife???

Discuss.
It's not purgatory. The producers have said that MANY MANY times. Even so, it's STILL not a purgatory reference.

I like the Omega Island theory alot better.
Old 12-03-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The producers lie. I dont believe word they say.
Old 12-03-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sven
The producers lie. I dont believe word they say.
Well then, that's your problem. Continue to think it's something that you've been told its not. At least you'll be surprised when you learn what's really going on.

If you are going to make such a bold statement, at least have something to back it up with. I bet you couldn't come up with three examples where the producers said one thing and something else happened. Don't point to the previews - those are NOT made by the producers of LOST.
Old 12-03-05, 07:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
So, about the widescreen/fullscreen stuff.
The producers of Lost, or ABC, or someone doesn't mind that most of the audience doesn't see the widescreen presentation of Lost? TONS of shows are seen in Widescreen on all the networks. Hell, The West Wing has been shown that way since day 1. No one complains about it. And let's be honest, a lot of people have these new HD, widescreen amazing televisions. But most of America is fine with their old ones that simply work.

Also, if the produces of Lost are concerned enough to put Sayid on the television screen in the background, shouldn't they be concerned enough that ALL of the Lost community sees it. I know it is just one of those extra little tidbits, but it is important to me.

Is no one else a little bit ticked about not getting the 'full' show. Or maybe I'm the only one on this board who still has a tv from the 90s. w
Old 12-03-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, about the widescreen/fullscreen stuff.
The producers of Lost, or ABC, or someone doesn't mind that most of the audience doesn't see the widescreen presentation of Lost? TONS of shows are seen in Widescreen on all the networks. Hell, The West Wing has been shown that way since day 1. No one complains about it. And let's be honest, a lot of people have these new HD, widescreen amazing televisions. But most of America is fine with their old ones that simply work.

Also, if the produces of Lost are concerned enough to put Sayid on the television screen in the background, shouldn't they be concerned enough that ALL of the Lost community sees it. I know it is just one of those extra little tidbits, but it is important to me.

Is no one else a little bit ticked about not getting the 'full' show. Or maybe I'm the only one on this board who still has a tv from the 90s. w
You are thinking of it backwards. If you want to enjoy LOST in it's full presentation and INTENDED ratio, then you will purchase an HDTV.

Besides, you haven't missed much, and as discussed above, Sayid WAS visible in the P&S version sent to networks, either your TV is not properly calibrated or it cannot display the full broadcast image, neither of which is the producer's of LOST's fault.

And you are also wrong about the West Wing. S1 was P&S, NOT WS.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.