Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "What Kate Did" -- 11.30.2005

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
From a brilliant 1st season DVD review: "Not unlike J.J. Abrams' work on Alias, the failing of fathers is [a] central theme to this first season ..."

das
I'm sorry, it's a bit loud in here. Can you turn down the volume on that horn that your tootin'?
Old 12-01-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sawyers reaction to the inside of the hatch was pretty funny.
Old 12-01-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
Shannon's father (Boone's step-father) was killed in an auto accident that involved Jack's bride-to-be.
That hasn't been proven to be Her father that dies in that scene, has it? I know it's a popular theory...but I don't think it's been actually fleshed out. I don't think the timetables line up.
Old 12-01-05, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
on the ana-lucia front, it was nice to see her actually smile. i've never been much of an MR fan, but she is a hell of a lot more attractive when she smiles. i'd love for her to change from being some damn militant girlfighter.
Not much of a fan either, but the girl has an ass...I'd hit it.
Old 12-01-05, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MR's hot as hell, no question. That's why I was hoping her character would be a little less cliched.
Old 12-01-05, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mike7162
MR's hot as hell, no question. That's why I was hoping her character would be a little less cliched.
Well, it's not like MR has a ton of latitude as an actress...
Old 12-01-05, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't it odd that Kate's dad says he doesn't have murder in his heart. He's in the army, for chrissake! That's what he does for a living!
Old 12-01-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
That hasn't been proven to be Her father that dies in that scene, has it? I know it's a popular theory...but I don't think it's been actually fleshed out. I don't think the timetables line up.
In the season premiere, during the ER flashback scene, the man in the SUV is referred to as Adam Rutherford, 57.

I'm fairly sure that's her father.

birrman54
Old 12-01-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Isn't it odd that Kate's dad says he doesn't have murder in his heart. He's in the army, for chrissake! That's what he does for a living!
I think they specifically chose "murder" instead of "kill".
Old 12-01-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not trying to be antgonistic, but it's the same thing. I'd find it much easier to kill/murder a man who was abusing my daughter than a faceless soldier in another country any day of the week.
Old 12-01-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I'm not trying to be antgonistic, but it's the same thing. I'd find it much easier to kill/murder a man who was abusing my daughter than a faceless soldier in another country any day of the week.
How do you know he was in a combat job? He could have been a medic
Old 12-01-05, 06:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The ending with the computer was LAME, and seems borrowed from something else (no, NOT WarGames!), although I can't put my finger on it.
Reminded me of Frequency.
Old 12-01-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin

as Birrman pointed out, that guy's last name was Rutherford, same as Shannon's. ....and in Shannon's flashback a few weeks ago, we saw Jack walk down the hallway in the hospital. As far as I am concerned, that is more than enough evidence that Jack's wife killed (or was responsible for the death of) Shannon's father.
Old 12-01-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

Aren't all soldiers trained to kill at some point, regardless of their position?
Old 12-01-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a moot poing according to the movie, Demolition man. Murder/Death/Kill was the same crime.
Old 12-01-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
It's a moot poing according to the movie, Demolition man. Murder/Death/Kill was the same crime.
And wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger President in that film too? Pffft! That's so unbelievable!
Old 12-01-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a long shot but I'll take a shot at a theory:

par·a·psy·chol·o·gy n. The study of the evidence for psychological phenomena, such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and psychokinesis, that are inexplicable by science.

Parapsychology is one of the disciplines cited in the orientation film which is under the Dharma initiative. Even before Walt was captured by the "Others," he seemed to show signs of having a "power." In his own flashback, he seemed to think of a bird and the bird appears. Walt was reading a comic book with a polar bear and that appears on the island.

Perhaps Walt has been able to harness some kind of telepathy to communicate with the survivors. It's curious though that he's only appeared to Shannon and now Sayid.

As far as Walt communicating with his father on the computer, could it be his use of psychokinesis (since as many have pointed out on this thread that the computer is doing things that wouldn't be happening under normal circumstances) or perhaps Walt simply is at another computer terminal and hacked in? Or even worse, could the "Others" be pretending to be Walt and luring Michael into creating the incident which is described in the orientation film?

Also, looking at the transcript of the orientation film, it looks like the part cut out explains in detail that the computer is not to be used for anything else, especially not to contact the outside world. So, whoever cut it out perhaps WANTS someone to use the computer for other uses, including communicating with the outside world.
Old 12-01-05, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Birrman54
In the season premiere, during the ER flashback scene, the man in the SUV is referred to as Adam Rutherford, 57.

I'm fairly sure that's her father.

Well then I guess we'll just have to wait for Boone or Shannon to have another flashback before we can get some conflict with Jack... oh, wait, never mind.
Old 12-01-05, 10:53 PM

I was just thinking about the story Eko told Lock. It is about how a society was built not by wealth but by faith. I think Eko understands that they are probably not going to be saved and they need to build their own society on the island. Lock is going to be the spiritual leader of the new society, Eko is the messenger of God, and the bunker is the ruins of the old temple. I could probably go deeper but my brains hurt just from that. Someone else do all the hard thinking.
Old 12-01-05, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

As far as the questions on who cut the film, in the TV Guide I think 3 weeks ago, the writers said that it was spliced together by Desmond after he watched it so many times that the film got damaged.
Old 12-01-05, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Aren't all soldiers trained to kill at some point, regardless of their position?

He had a Combat Infantryman's Badge. It is only awarded to Infantrymen in Combat action (WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Op Desert Storm, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq). Additionally, he was wearing a Combat Patch (Patch on the right arm, awarded when any soldier participates in a military combat).
Which appears to be from the 6th Infantry Divison- which was based out of Alaska.http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/6id.htm
Despite combat experience, there's nothing to say he knowingly killed anyone.
Old 12-02-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Neeb
Despite combat experience, there's nothing to say he knowingly killed anyone.
Of course he didn't, because he doesn't have "murder in his heart."
Old 12-02-05, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then you have murder in your heart too.
Old 12-02-05, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
....and in Shannon's flashback a few weeks ago, we saw Jack walk down the hallway in the hospital. As far as I am concerned, that is more than enough evidence that Jack's wife killed (or was responsible for the death of) Shannon's father.
Jack worked at that hospotal and walked down that hallway may times every day.........
Old 12-02-05, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
as Birrman pointed out, that guy's last name was Rutherford, same as Shannon's. ....and in Shannon's flashback a few weeks ago, we saw Jack walk down the hallway in the hospital. As far as I am concerned, that is more than enough evidence that Jack's wife killed (or was responsible for the death of) Shannon's father.
There is no question about this. Jack's wife was involved in the same accident that killed that Shannon's father. Watch all the relevant flashback seasons (both S1 and S2) and you'll see this clearly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.