Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I hate the new tvtome! Bite me TV.com!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the new tvtome! Bite me TV.com!

I had become very accustomed to surfing around tvtome.com to get all kinds of info about my favorite shows. Season info, airdates, plot summaries, you name it. Now when surfing over to tvtome, I am directed to TV.com. TV.com blows hard IMO!

Extremely user UN-friendly. I find the navigation clunky and it seems like a lot of the old info is just... gone.

I am not happy. Am I alone?
Old 06-15-05, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 100 % with you. I loved the old tvtome and used it often. But the new tv.com is slower and I don't like the interface at all. It also seems that you are right and some of the information about the shows is just gone. I hope they restore tvtome.com though I doubt that will happen
Old 06-15-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. It's horrrrrible as hell. I don't know what they were thinking..
Old 06-15-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap! What happened to tvtome.com???? I referred to the site often, and I know it was up not that long ago, just the other day when I checked something on there.
Old 06-15-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I like the layout and design... for design itself. But for tvtome, where you go to find quick info about a show... not the right kind of layout.
Old 06-15-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap! All the good stuff is harder to find now.
Old 06-15-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I first noticed it on Monday. I loved tvtome. Oh well,
Old 06-15-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Yeah. Sad that it got bought out. Hope whoever ran the site made some coin, though.
Old 06-15-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I like the layout and design... for design itself. But for tvtome, where you go to find quick info about a show... not the right kind of layout.
I agree. It makes navigating this site harder now.
Old 06-15-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Checked it out yesterday and also noticed the change....for the worse.
Old 06-15-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
The new site is horrible. I had trouble scrolling down the page. They should make it more user friendly. I hate it where now you have to click on episodes to get an episode list and then episode summaries pop up and spoil things. You then have to click on episode list to see a list of episodes.
Old 06-15-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But... look, it has pie charts now!!

Old 06-15-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. I checked it a few days ago. I was hoping that it would be a temporary change but I guess now. A big from me.
Old 06-15-05, 12:54 PM

Well there is still www.epguides.com, which used to link to tvtome.com but now of course links to tv.com

Chris
Old 06-15-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The new site is impossible.

Revamp of tvtom.com < Revamp of Cheap Seats on ESPN Classic
Old 06-15-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I always use epguides to look at the episode lists for future episodes. I forgot that they were linked with tvtome. Epguides is a good place to go to find out when future episodes will air, but they have no detailed episode summaries and now they have the crappy tv.com summaries now. I guess television without pity will be the place to go for episode guides, but they only cover a small number of shows.
Old 06-15-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is this new site made by the same people who did tvtome.com??
Old 06-15-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
So is this new site made by the same people who did tvtome.com??
Nope. As far as I know it's been sold to and is now run by CNet
Old 06-15-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I like the design for design sake, but like others I went to tvtome for quick episode listings. Looks like I will have to go back to epguides.com It would be nice if epguides brought out their site search on every page so you don't specifically have to go to the search page.
Old 06-15-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TVTome was acquired by CNET from Collaborative Content, LLC (they still own movietome.com) early this year. In April they announced that they were going to "revamp" the web site as tv.com.

I read an interesting article about the whole process. Apparently, during a executive strategy meeting at CNET last summer, they were discussing the possibility of creating or acquiring a movie-related site, to complement their video game and music sites. At one point in the meeting, one of the execs googled for "cheers episode guide". Guess where he ended up? If only google had been down that day... Anyway, once they saw TVTome, they shifted gears, and focused on acquiring that site instead of creating a movie site, and the rest is history.

On the plus side, most of the TVTome content has survived. I have checked a few of my favorites, and the summaries, guides and lists are all intact, with the exact same text as before. The downsides, unfortunately, are many. The new interface is even more clunky than the old one. For example, to reach the episode LIST for a series, you must now go THROUGH the episode GUIDE for the first season, which slows things down. And there are so many graphics and animations on every page that the overall perfomance is sluggish. The episode lists and guides suffer from other problems, as well. They used to offer a nice "Season-Episode" number notation, making it easy to keep track of where a particular episode fell in the schedule. That is gone. Also, the episode guides are now broken up into pages WITHIN each season, and there is no option to change that behavior (and the old "view all" option is missing completely).

Hopefully, over time, they will listen to the complaints of former TVTome fans, and either offer a simplified interface, or at least re-incorporate some of the features we used to have that are now MIA. But I doubt that this will happen. CNET seems convinced that this new "glitzy " interface will attract the ritalin generation, so I suspect we are stuck with it.

At least the info is still there. It will just take more work to find it.
Old 06-15-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
100% the same way I feel. It think the page looks nice, maybe even better as far as look but it seem to SUCK now for finding info..

before it was like this huge fan sort of info site where I even had nookmarked links to shows so I could see who was the guest star and so on.. Sep now it seems like less of a info/fan site and more like one of those sites you see for a show, by the network for the show.. Ya know, as in blah blah these are the 4 main stars, then no more info sep the title of the next ep.. blah..

oh well..
Old 06-15-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started out this morning by wanting to find how many episodes a series I was interested in had aired. I did like I normally do and googled the name of the show, then clicked on the tvtome link. I thought Google was screwing up until it dawned on me.

I've been using TVTome for years, and man, if someone asked me the one site that was irreplacable on the Internet for me, it was TVTome. I used it every single day. That said, the site is destroyed. It might have imported the basic episode guide/list text of TVTome, but TV.com sure as hell isn't a site I will ever visit again. I'll stick with epguides.com, even though it has a fraction of the info tvtome used to have. Man, what a loss. What a complete and total loss.
Old 06-15-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is worse than what happened to allmusic.com.
Old 06-16-05, 12:24 AM

The layout kinda reminds me of Guzzlefish.com
Old 06-16-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I went there earlier this week and was turned off right away. The old tvtome was barebones and generic, which was perfect for what it was used for. I went there for info only and I loved how they had it all listed on one page. The comments, the goofs, the cast...all that jazz. Now not so much. Maybe it will get better over time though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.