Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Summertime LOST Thread - For those who enjoyed it the 1st time

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-01-05, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought we might need a place to discuss the show in case anyone notices anything new the 2nd time around.
Old 06-01-05, 11:39 PM

I watched ep 1 again 2nite and I didn't notice any "nanobots". My theory for the .gif of the "flying carpet nano-swarm" is that it was just debris flying around. There was alot of it around the entire crash site. It was probably digitally added after filming so as to explain it's seemingly nonsensical flight path.
Old 06-02-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched the pilot again too. At first I didn't see any as well. But when I watched it in slow motion, I saw the exact same nanos as in the gif. Plus I saw what look like nano clouds all over the crash site. They looked different than regular flying debris. Very obvious when you are looking for it.
Old 06-02-05, 03:49 AM

Yea I figure everyone else was like me, constantly looking in the background the entire episode for nanos I may have missed. I didn't record it stupidly enough though, so I didn't have a chance to slo-mo anything.

Did anyone else hear the lady in the background, when talking about the "monster's" noises that it sounded familiar to her? I think Hurley asked her "Where are you from?" And she answered "The Bronx." At least that's what I thought I heard. Can anyone confirm?
Old 06-02-05, 04:06 AM
Banned

It doesn't surprise me that they would put stuff in that you couldn't really see unless you watched it back in slow motion.

Something I noticed tonight. The first time the monster makes itself known to everyone is immediately after Kate and Jack formerly introduce themselves to each other almost as if that moment opens up Pandora's box.

Also, this has been mentioned before but it seems to always rain just before the appearance of the monster and then suddenly stops right afterwards. That's a pretty good warning sign but everyone seems to ignore it.

If Locke is so convinced that the monster is not going to hurt him then why did it kill the pilot? I think because the monster knew the pilot was not a passenger. The passengers are all there for a reason. The pilot wasn't meant to survive.
Old 06-02-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
I watched ep 1 again 2nite and I didn't notice any "nanobots". My theory for the .gif of the "flying carpet nano-swarm" is that it was just debris flying around. There was alot of it around the entire crash site. It was probably digitally added after filming so as to explain it's seemingly nonsensical flight path.
I just watched in slo-mo on my Tivo and the one from the GIF that flies in and "touches" the engine is definitely there. I'm not sure I'd say it had something to do with the engine exploding since a passenger was sucked into it a split-second earlier, maybe the "nano" was trying to save the passenger but got there too late?
Old 06-02-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
You knuckleheads have me reading PREY now.
Old 06-02-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I've read half of it and it is very interesting. Unfortunately I read in the book forum that about 3/4 of the way through it goes to shit. I had sat it aside, but will definitely finish before season 2 starts.
Old 06-02-05, 11:50 AM

I'm down with the nanobots theory. I read Prey a while back, and since reading that JJ and company were "inspired by" Michael Crichton and his use of pseudo-science (and his knack for taking real science that's available now and making science fiction out of it), I don't think it's a stretch for them to use swarms of nanobots to explain the black clouds with "faces" in them that Jack and Kate saw. After all, they keep insisting that everything on the show can be explained by science or pseudo-science. The whole island could be some kind of testing ground for that kind of technology. (Of course it could also be some other crap thing that the writers haven't even decided on yet.)

Although, about that animated gif with the exploding engine... after re-watching the pilot, I think I agree that the black shape flying by was just debris from the wreckage.

Has anyone seen the "hidden" Oceanic Airlines site with the interactive seating chart that yields all kinds of hints when you click on various numbers and seats? Clicking on "the numbers" in order (4 8 15 16 23 42) on the row at the bottom produces a flash video that states "They are not the survivors they thought they were." Makes me think that the whole plane crash was set up to happen from the beginning.

I should mention that nobody's 100% sure if this site is legit, or just the work of some passionate fan, but it's very slickly done.
Old 06-02-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by geoff27
video that states "They are not the survivors they thought they were." Makes me think that the whole plane crash was set up to happen from the beginning.
Speculation:

Makes me think that they are not the only survivors. Methinks we'll see the tailsection of the plane in Season 2, along with its survivors.

One very interesting thing I recently read in TV Guide was that Boone actually heard on the radio "We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815", not "There were no survivors of Oceanic Flight 815." I take that as a major hint that there are more planecrash survivors on the island, a group who has a working radio from the plane.
Old 06-02-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't read the entire Lost threads here, just the first few pages. What are these nanobots that are being talked about/theorized?
Old 06-02-05, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
Methinks we'll see the tailsection of the plane in Season 2, along with its survivors.
I was so sure that the season finale would have the beach survivors having to face the Others, only to have the Others turn out to be the tail section survivors, for exactly the reason you said, about Boone hearing "We're the survivors..." on the radio. I thought that Rousseau had been playing the two groups off of each other the whole time, scaring each group into thinking that the other group was "The Others."

But I was wrong.
Old 06-02-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.oceanicflight815.com/

has a link to this forum which doesn't look very busy .. http://forums.go.com/abc/oceanic/index

"The Security System" and "The Black Rock"
Old 06-02-05, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by djbrown
I don't read the entire Lost threads here, just the first few pages. What are these nanobots that are being talked about/theorized?
Generally speaking... nanobots would be teeny-tiny almost microscopic flying robots that are capable of enough "teamwork" to collect themselves and form into semi-solid shapes. Throw in the ability to "learn," and you've got yourself an enemy/weapon/whatever who can assume any shape and is pretty much invulnerable.

Some people believe that you can catch a few quick glimpses of strangely-shaped black clouds flying around during the post-crash chaos of the pilot episode. Then, in the finale, we see weird black clouds at ground level, swirling about and generally behaving in ways that smoke doesn't behave.
Old 06-02-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://lostinfo.prv.no/ ..has some other info that's spread across multiple threads and forums/etc..couple pictures..that unaired scene and the trailer for season 2..(this host is REALLY slow so use the links below to d/l the preview and the deleted scene)

http://rapidshare.de/files/2010947/e...edita.wmv.html deleted scene from abc morning show or whatever.. (original filename s1-un_aired_sceene.wmv)

http://rapidshare.de/files/2133756/s2-preview.mpg.html (preview of season 2)
Old 06-02-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Morf
Speculation:

Makes me think that they are not the only survivors. Methinks we'll see the tailsection of the plane in Season 2, along with its survivors.

One very interesting thing I recently read in TV Guide was that Boone actually heard on the radio "We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815", not "There were no survivors of Oceanic Flight 815." I take that as a major hint that there are more planecrash survivors on the island, a group who has a working radio from the plane.
Morf,

Spoiler:
I think is been commented by the creators and writers of the show that this is indeed the case and it will be touched upon during Season 2. Just think about Michelle Rodriguez character "Ana Luisa" and Rose's (Black Lady) husband.
Old 06-02-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet, I didn't know this was re-airing, but I am glad it is. I missed the entire season the first time around and have been wanting to see it, now I can without having to buy/rent the DVDs when they come out. Good deal!
Old 06-02-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonny2k1
Sweet, I didn't know this was re-airing, but I am glad it is. I missed the entire season the first time around and have been wanting to see it, now I can without having to buy/rent the DVDs when they come out. Good deal!
Check out the other Lost thread, but ABC will not be re-airing all of the episodes this summer.
Old 06-02-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by geoff27
Has anyone seen the "hidden" Oceanic Airlines site...

I should mention that nobody's 100% sure if this site is legit, or just the work of some passionate fan, but it's very slickly done.
I looked at the source of the page, and if it is an amateur, he's paying for some expensive web metrics tracking.
Old 06-02-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Check out the other Lost thread, but ABC will not be re-airing all of the episodes this summer.
Thanks, I completely missed that thread!
Old 06-02-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jonny2k1
Thanks, I completely missed that thread!
Yeah Jonny, if you don't want to have a lot spoiled for you, you might not want to read what we write in this thread .
Old 06-02-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think everyone missed the bottom of the page..

© 2005 Touchstone Television

domain info looks to be all fake..as there's no "airport loop" in LA..and I'm sure 8005550199 is fake as well..domain was created april 20 2005..

the terms of use & privacy statement go to disney links ..not that a fan couldn't put that, but I seriously doubt it's a fanmade site..

oceanicflight815.com looks to have fake info too..but I'm not spending anymore time trying to find if they're real street addresses..
Old 06-02-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
I think everyone missed the bottom of the page..

© 2005 Touchstone Television

domain info looks to be all fake..as there's no "airport loop" in LA..and I'm sure 8005550199 is fake as well..domain was created april 20 2005..

the terms of use & privacy statement go to disney links ..not that a fan couldn't put that, but I seriously doubt it's a fanmade site..

oceanicflight815.com looks to have fake info too..but I'm not spending anymore time trying to find if they're real street addresses..
Looks like Hurley is into making websites as well as cardboard boxes!

Registrant for Oceanicflight815.com:
The Reyes Group
156 Heatherton Ave.
Los Feliz, CA 90027
US

Last edited by johnglass; 06-02-05 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-02-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, bear with me here, and see if I make any sense...

I think this theory may have been discussed before, but not in depth - the idea that there may have actually been 2 planes.

On http://www.oceanic-air.com/seatingchart.htm , click on 4A, 8A, 15A, 16A, 23A, and 42B. The seats that light up are 9E and 9F (Boone and Shannon), 23A (Jack), 24D (Locke), 27G (Marshall), and 29C (Charlie). After clicking Jack's seat, he moves to seat 23C, Rose shows up in 23D. Click on the Marshall's seat (27G) and Kate shows up next to him (27H).

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...m=486&pos=1061
Click on the picture to enlarge it...we see Claire walking back, and Arzt's head (he's the one reading the safety brochure). But most importantly, look at the row #s - 21, 22, leaving Arzt in either 23 or 24. The problem with that is that he's on (facing forward) the left side of the middle row of seats...go back to the oceanic-air.com seating chart, and that puts him in the same seat as Rose or Locke.

Watching the end of the finale again, where it shows them all getting on the plane, Arzt ends up helping Claire put her bag in the overhead, so it's safe to assume they're sitting close together. I sure never recall ever seeing Arzt or Claire in the Locke/Jack/Rose flashbacks on the plane. If you have the Pilot episode from last night, look yourself - they're nowhere to be found.

OK, so what, maybe a mix up. But in an interview JJ Abrams says:

"It's insane what they did. When we started writing it, they found an L-1011. They bought it. It's a 777 in the story. But we found an L-1011. Just bought it, took it apart, cut it into 25 pieces, barged it—and we have this on film—from California to Hawaii. Put it back together again there, and built it. That whole thing was all there." ( http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue387/interview3.html )

Which definitely explains the 777 in the lower left of the seating chart - no question it's supposed to be the plane model.

But in TV Guide, Lindelof was talking about the S1 DVD set, and the article mentioned that the DVD will have a lot of extras, including, "footage of the Boeing 747 being cut up in the Mojave Desert and transported via barge to Hawaii." ( http://www.tvguide.com/news/askausiello/050209.asp )

Now for all I know a 747 is the same as a L-1011 (I think one's a Boeing, one's a Lockheed or something?), or it was just a typo/misspoken. But I don't know...

We NEVER see any of the people who's seats are highlighted on the Oceanic-Air.com seating chart in on-plane footage of the others (Walt, Michael, Sayid, Sun, Jin, Hurley, Claire, Arzt?), but we do see Claire and Arzt at the same time, Walt and Hurley, Jack and Locke/Rose. This seems like a lot of coincidences.

Then we can look at the flight info above the seating chart...departure time is 8:04. Go here ( http://www.oceanic-air.com/trackresults.htm ) and the departure time is 14:04. Maybe it's just the time difference between LA and Sydney, and it's listed LA time on one and Sydney time on the other. Remember from the finale, Hurley enters gate 23? Well the flight listed here says gate 15 for departure (for flight 815). Less relevant to this discussion but interesting nonetheless is that the arrival gate is 42 - and that flight 815 supposedly actually arrived?!?

There are of course many things that negate this theory, maybe foremost the flight manifest, which apparently had all the names on it. Also, the oceanic-air.com seating chart has only 3 seats in the middle, when there's actually 4 (in both the Jack/Rose/Locke area and the Walt/Michael area). And how did they all end up at the same wreck site?

But with all the irregularities, especially the row numbers, it just seems like they'd have to have tried to make those "mistakes." With the role numbers have played in the show, you'd think they'd have made sure things were accurate throughout.

And what's all this mean, if maybe it is true? Mid-air collission?

Wow, that's lots of rambling to explain one possibly BS theory.

Thoughts?
Old 06-03-05, 03:07 AM
Banned

That last post got me thinking. When I first saw the Lost Pilot last year I was reminded of the Twilight Zone episode where they fly through a portal in time and end up back in prehistoric times and see a dinosaur. They spend the rest of the show trying to find that portal to fly back through.

I think maybe Lost has taken a route similar to this. The key is the title of the show. Not only are all the characters lost in their own personal lives but I believe that the plane is lost in mid crash. I think the whole show is about what is going on in the heads of each passenger as they think about their last possible moments. Each one thinks what it would be like if they crashed and had to live on an island.

Another theory could be that the plane actually did go through some type of time warp, creating an alternate reality with a second plane and second set of passengers. Things could be slightly different in this parallel universe. Gate 23 might be Gate 15, etc...

When Boone made contact on the small plane and said he was a survivor of Flight 815 and the voice came back with the same response that might be from the 'other' plane. He could've been talking to his 'other' self. It was a very Back to the Future moment.

Another Boone could've been in the alternate world in another small plane trying to make contact at the very same time as 'our' Boone.

Remember, the Season 2 trailer says they are not the survivors they thought they were.

I really do hope this show turns out to be as complex as say, Back to the Future Part 2 and not a big let down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.