Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Summertime LOST Thread - For those who enjoyed it the 1st time

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Perhaps the "security device" is an ever changing/evolving entity and somehow adapted the noise from the plane? I always thought the ticking noise it made sounded more like an anchor being lowered and raised than a clock ticking. Maybe it 'learned' that noise from the pirate ship? And the roar from the polar bear? Combine those 3 noises and don't we have our mystery monster?
I am reading Prey (have been for a while Started it last year), and this is EXACTLY how the nano-particles are described(just read it last night). Where I'm at in the book though they don't have auditory sensors and can't make sound because they are too small, but a group of them could mimic small hums.

JJ Abrams said in TVGuide, he was disappointed how the "We're the survivors" line came out. He said it is definitely "We're" not "There were."
Old 06-08-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, and the week after that episode ran, all the promos for the next week's show had a clearer clip of that line, and it was DEFINITELY "We're the survivors".
Old 06-08-05, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard a few people now saying the noise of the plane breaking up sounds just like the noise of the "security device"... Here is my theory:
Perhaps the "security device" is an ever changing/evolving entity and somehow adapted the noise from the plane? I always thought the ticking noise it made sounded more like an anchor being lowered and raised than a clock ticking. Maybe it 'learned' that noise from the pirate ship? And the roar from the polar bear? Combine those 3 noises and don't we have our mystery monster?

Now what did it learn from the hatch? Or is that where it originated?

Anyhow, I agree with you that at least one polar bear is/was real...
That sounds pretty good to me. I thought the ticking noise (especially after Locke got pulled to that hole) sounded like a chain being pulled onto a winch - like the "whatever" that grabbed his ankle/leg was attached to a chain. Of course, anchors on modern-day ships are pulled in just that way. But a pirate ship? I don't think that could have something making that noise?
Old 06-09-05, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In last night's rerun I noticed one of the magic numbers "16," on the backgammon board 'doubling cube' when Locke was talking to Walt.

Here's an example of one:

All doubling cubes have the following numbers: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64.

3 of the magic numbers.

Last edited by cracksky; 06-09-05 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-09-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaking of the magic numbers (found this on another Lost message board)...

1) Go to http://maps.google.com
2) Put the following in the search bar and press enter: 4.815 162.342
3) Click the "Satellite" link at the top right of the page
4) Zoom out to all the way (drag the slider all the way to the minus)

You will see this is a satellite image of a point somewhere between Australia and Los Angeles. As you zoom in closer the map will be centered on an island in the middle of the Pacific. Could this be the Lost island???
Old 06-09-05, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by johnglass
Speaking of the magic numbers (found this on another Lost message board)...

1) Go to http://maps.google.com
2) Put the following in the search bar and press enter: 4.815 162.342
3) Click the "Satellite" link at the top right of the page
4) Zoom out to all the way (drag the slider all the way to the minus)

You will see this is a satellite image of a point somewhere between Australia and Los Angeles. As you zoom in closer the map will be centered on an island in the middle of the Pacific. Could this be the Lost island???
Wow! I would think it would be. What do those numbers represent as far as coordinates go?
Old 06-09-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SomeVoices
Wow! I would think it would be. What do those numbers represent as far as coordinates go?
Those are the "magic numbers"- the numbers Hurley won the Lottery with, were carved on the side of the hatch, etc.

4.815 162.342
4-8-15-16-23-42
Old 06-09-05, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Those are the "magic numbers"- the numbers Hurley won the Lottery with, were carved on the side of the hatch, etc.

4.815 162.342
4-8-15-16-23-42
But that's just the latitude/longitude?
Old 06-09-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
But that's just the latitude/longitude?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

If you take the 'magic numbers', place the decimal point after the 4 and the 2 in '23', and enter those numbers in as coordinates, they resolve to an island in the Pacific that is between Australia and LA, (the path that the plane was heading when it crashed).
Old 06-09-05, 10:33 PM
Suspended

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

If you take the 'magic numbers', place the decimal point after the 4 and the 2 in '23', and enter those numbers in as coordinates, they resolve to an island in the Pacific that is between Australia and LA, (the path that the plane was heading when it crashed).
The coordinates, that's what I was asking, thanks. I know people had tried different combinations of the numbers before, and often came up with an area closer to Australia or in Africa, but I haven't seen something this plausible before. Good find.
Old 06-10-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
it's been a while since i studied latitude/longitude, but isn't it normally represented by degrees, minutes ('), and seconds (")?

how do the coordinates listed above correspond to that format?
Old 06-10-05, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
it's been a while since i studied latitude/longitude, but isn't it normally represented by degrees, minutes ('), and seconds (")?

lat: 4 deg 8 min 15 sec
long: 162 deg 3 min 42 sec
Old 06-10-05, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't the eaten-alive pilot say that they were hunderds of miles off course though? how would that fit in with this location?
Old 06-10-05, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by runner001
Didn't the eaten-alive pilot say that they were hunderds of miles off course though? how would that fit in with this location?
I think it was a thousand . It's hard to tell, because I thought they often don't fly in a straight line, to catch jet streams and such?

Oh, and I don't know that it means anything...but when you said "eaten alive," I realized that he wasn't actually eaten, or it didn't appear so. Just bloodied up a lot.
Old 06-10-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
You can express Lat/Long as deg/min/sec or as a decimal.

Google didn't work for me but this does

For the record, it doen't look like those numbers land you directly on that island, although we can concede that a) the map engines may be off by a bit although we're in the right neighborhood for a flight from Australia to California (give or take 1000 miles off-course) and b) the mythical island they're on does exist at this location.
Old 06-10-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Old 06-11-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Well said!
Old 06-12-05, 01:29 AM

[Butthead]Heheh... Numbers are stupid. Heheh[/Butthead]
Old 06-12-05, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cracksky
That last post got me thinking. When I first saw the Lost Pilot last year I was reminded of the Twilight Zone episode where they fly through a portal in time and end up back in prehistoric times and see a dinosaur. They spend the rest of the show trying to find that portal to fly back through.

I think maybe Lost has taken a route similar to this. The key is the title of the show. Not only are all the characters lost in their own personal lives but I believe that the plane is lost in mid crash. I think the whole show is about what is going on in the heads of each passenger as they think about their last possible moments. Each one thinks what it would be like if they crashed and had to live on an island.

Another theory could be that the plane actually did go through some type of time warp, creating an alternate reality with a second plane and second set of passengers. Things could be slightly different in this parallel universe. Gate 23 might be Gate 15, etc...

When Boone made contact on the small plane and said he was a survivor of Flight 815 and the voice came back with the same response that might be from the 'other' plane. He could've been talking to his 'other' self. It was a very Back to the Future moment.

Another Boone could've been in the alternate world in another small plane trying to make contact at the very same time as 'our' Boone.

Remember, the Season 2 trailer says they are not the survivors they thought they were.

I really do hope this show turns out to be as complex as say, Back to the Future Part 2 and not a big let down.
Didn't the time warp thing happen in "The Langoliers" as well?

And the S2 trailer that says "they are not the survivors they thought they were"...
Spoiler:
Tina Wesson/Alex/girl on boat, anyone?
Old 06-14-05, 02:15 PM

And the S2 trailer that says "they are not the survivors they thought they were"...
Spoiler:
Tina Wesson/Alex/girl on boat, anyone?
That's pretty funny. I love Probst as much as the next guy but if he shows up next I'm out.

I remember when I first saw the ads for this show I thought it would suck because it sounded like Survivor with a script. Thankfully that's not the case.

Anyway if she wins again something very wrong is going on...
Old 06-14-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Didn't the time warp thing happen in "The Langoliers" as well?
Yes. Great story. Bad movie.
Old 06-14-05, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yes. Great story. Bad movie.
Agreed. "The Langoliers are coming!" -annoying blind girl
Old 06-15-05, 05:24 PM

Marshal episode tonight.

"Tabula Rasa"
Jack and Hurley discover an alarming secret about Kate, as the marshal's life hangs in the balance. Meanwhile Kate, Charlie, Sawyer, Sayid, Boone and Shannon ponder the island's mysteries they've uncovered and worry that telling the other survivors will cause panic, and Locke's befriending of Walt disturbs Michael.
Old 06-15-05, 06:20 PM
Suspended

Marshal episode tonight.

"Tabula Rasa"
Jack and Hurley discover an alarming secret about Kate, as the marshal's life hangs in the balance. Meanwhile Kate, Charlie, Sawyer, Sayid, Boone and Shannon ponder the island's mysteries they've uncovered and worry that telling the other survivors will cause panic, and Locke's befriending of Walt disturbs Michael.
I think it's Kate's backstory, right? And IIRC, this is the first backstory there was? Should be lots of things in it we didn't notice the first time around - the presence of a certain few numbers, I'd guess?
Old 06-15-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've been jotting down all the references I see when I rewatch them (I'm up through about episode 5). I was thinking about starting a Lost "by the numbers" thread so all the info is in one comprehensive easy to read list.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.