Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Palau 05/05/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be voted off May 5, 2005?
Caryn
21.05%
Gregg
52.63%
Dolphin Boy Ian
3.51%
Jennifer
3.51%
Katie
10.53%
Tom
8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Palau 05/05/05

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 622 Likes on 501 Posts
That was a great episode. One of the best I can ever recall. Ian and Tom came up with a great plan and executed it perfectly.

Now the question is can the game be flipped again by the women next week. If they're smart (?) they will since I can't see any of them beating Ian or Tom in a final-2.
Old 05-09-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I'm hoping that Jenn ends up being the token girl that one of the two guys goes up against in the final, just because any of the women will lose to any of the men, so it might as well be the hot one we get to see. But if the guys have the control, it would be crazy not to choose Caryn or Katie.

Jeff has always said if you make the final 2, you deserve to be there, no matter how it happened. But if it's a Jenn/Katie/Caryn combo of some kind, it will be a real headscratcher to feel like any of them would deserve to win. If I was on the jury, based on what I know now, I could give a vote to Jenn or Katie if it was against one of the other women (even though I wouldn't feel good about it), but I couldn't award the prize to Caryn. Katie has been ok and has been, at least, trying to play the game and Jenn looks like she's the strongest of the women left. Caryn is nothing. I wish she could quit and they could put Steph back in to play for her.
I was thinking the same type thing. It really could end up being a final two of Jenn & Katie. The 3 women should definitely get together and vote out Ian & Tom. None of those 3 have shown anything to make me believe they have (the heart, soul, or will) a chance at winning immunity. Tom & Ian will just pick them off. The swing is on Caryn. She knows she's gonna finish no better than 3rd with either group she attaches to. So it's gonna be tough for Jenn & Katie to get her vote against Tom & Ian. But if they can, Jenn & Katie are in the final 2. It would suck, since I don't think either one belongs anywhere near the top 2, but it's very possible.
Old 05-09-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ideally, Tom and Ian would be the final 2. That would make for a great jury vote. Nobody would be able to predict which way it would go.
Old 05-09-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by taa455
Ideally, Tom and Ian would be the final 2. That would make for a great jury vote. Nobody would be able to predict which way it would go.

Tom would win by at least 5-2 IMO.
Old 05-09-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Amel
I was thinking the same type thing. It really could end up being a final two of Jenn & Katie. The 3 women should definitely get together and vote out Ian & Tom. None of those 3 have shown anything to make me believe they have (the heart, soul, or will) a chance at winning immunity. Tom & Ian will just pick them off. The swing is on Caryn. She knows she's gonna finish no better than 3rd with either group she attaches to. So it's gonna be tough for Jenn & Katie to get her vote against Tom & Ian. But if they can, Jenn & Katie are in the final 2. It would suck, since I don't think either one belongs anywhere near the top 2, but it's very possible.
I agree Jenn doesn't deserve to be there but I think Katie atleast has been playing the game. There are three ways to play the game. #1 - Taking control and letting everyone know that you are running things(Rob). #2 - Sitting back and allowing other people to do the work and switch alliances to the power when necessary(Sandra). #3 - Doing what your told on who to vote for until its your turn and then leave(Lil). I think the first 2 have every right to go to the final 2. What are your criteria for deserving a final 2?
Old 05-09-05, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
But it easily could swing the other way depending on the answers given to the jury. I think Tom and Ian have been very close in terms of how well they have played both the physical and mental game. I might even give a slight edge to Ian in the social aspect.

Last edited by taa455; 05-09-05 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Well it would seem that someone can predict which way it would go. So much for that theory.

I'm really hoping for Tom & Ian in the finals. I'll be pretty pissed if they're both voted off. Everyone complains that the people who deserve to win usually get voted off leaving the scum to win the game. But for the first time since I'm not sure when, there seems to be a chance for two decent people to go all the way. They have blood on their hands (Steph), but for the most part they've played honestly without a lot of back-stabbing. Plus they're the reason their tribe dominated and ended up where they are. I'll be thrilled if they pick the women off.
Old 05-09-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

But it easily could swing the other way depending on the answers given to the jury. I think Tom and Ian have been very close in terms of how well they have played both the physical and mental game. I might even give a slight edge to Ian in the social aspect.

I think the jury portion of the game is overrated.
Old 05-09-05, 04:23 PM

Overrated how? Sure, there are those who already know who they will vote for based on performance in the game, their own personal bitterness, etc. However I think several jury members truly have not come to a decision and base their choice on how questions are answered. You don't think so?
Old 05-09-05, 04:42 PM

Not this season. I think Tom is clearly the best survivor and Ian his sidekick. I think the jury will see it that way too.
Old 05-09-05, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
Not this season. I think Tom is clearly the best survivor and Ian his sidekick. I think the jury will see it that way too.
"Clearly?" Not hardly. I like Tom. I think he has the best chance to win against anybody left. However, who has won the past 2 immunities? Ian. Who told Tom to vote out Greg next? Ian. And who got Katie to vote for Greg also? Ian. Ian is not some Sidekick a la Sandra or even Amber. He has been right there with Tom calling the shots all along, and winning challenges.
Old 05-09-05, 05:27 PM

"Clearly?" Not hardly. I like Tom. I think he has the best chance to win against anybody left. However, who has won the past 2 immunities? Ian. Who told Tom to vote out Greg next? Ian. And who got Katie to vote for Greg also? Ian. Ian is not some Sidekick a la Sandra or even Amber. He has been right there with Tom calling the shots all along, and winning challenges.
I think if you ask Ian who carried the tribe he would answer that Tom did. Tom was, and is, beyond a shadow of anyone's doubt, the emotional, and physical leader of Koror. Tom consistently went up against Ulong's best challengers, and beat them soundly. He almost singlehandedly dismantled Ulong and is the biggest reason Koror had this historic run. He kept his team together when they were pulling in different directions. He picked up slack when others lagged. He caught a fucking shark. If they were really stranded, after about a year these people would start praying to Tom. He is clearly the best survivor on the island. To dispute that, IMO, is ludicrous. He may be the best ever.
Old 05-09-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
I think if you ask Ian who carried the tribe he would answer that Tom did. Tom was, and is, beyond a shadow of anyone's doubt, the emotional, and physical leader of Koror. Tom consistently went up against Ulong's best challengers, and beat them soundly. He almost singlehandedly dismantled Ulong and is the biggest reason Koror had this historic run. He kept his team together when they were pulling in different directions. He picked up slack when others lagged. He caught a fucking shark. If they were really stranded, after about a year these people would start praying to Tom. He is clearly the best survivor on the island. To dispute that, IMO, is ludicrous. He may be the best ever.
I agree with everything you typed, but if Ian has outdone Tom in any area, it's in strategy. It was Ian and not Tom who correctly foresaw the coming alliance of Gregg/Jenn/Katie. It's hard to say from editing who thought to drop the plan on Katie at the last minute, but it was a masterstroke and Ian deliverd it.
Old 05-09-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doesn't matter which one you prefer, Ian or Tom. If either of them is stupid enough to bring the other to the final 2, they don't deserve to win. Colby brought Tina and while it was sweet, he didn't deserve to win when he took someone who stood a good chance of defeating him with the jury. The jury can be fickle about who they pick, but there is no way this jury would give the money to any of these 3 women over the 2 men. A Tom and Ian final won't happen.
Old 05-10-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Which probably means we'll see either Katie or Caryn in the final two. Gack!
Old 05-10-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
I agree Jenn doesn't deserve to be there but I think Katie atleast has been playing the game. There are three ways to play the game. #1 - Taking control and letting everyone know that you are running things(Rob). #2 - Sitting back and allowing other people to do the work and switch alliances to the power when necessary(Sandra). #3 - Doing what your told on who to vote for until its your turn and then leave(Lil). I think the first 2 have every right to go to the final 2. What are your criteria for deserving a final 2?
Both Katie & Jenn have been playing, I can't argue that. Each pretty successfully. I just don't like the way they've been playing. Katie's too shady, and Jenn's done absolutely nothing except hide in Greg's shadow. Besides what Tom & Ian did to Steph, neither of those 2 have been shown to be really shady. I just like to think that people can win by being physically & mentally strong and not have to lie or backstab to get there.

But I do enjoy watching all the lying & backstabbing
Old 05-10-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they were really stranded, after about a year these people would start praying to Tom.

So true!
Old 05-10-05, 02:36 AM

I doesn't matter which one you prefer, Ian or Tom. If either of them is stupid enough to bring the other to the final 2, they don't deserve to win. Colby brought Tina and while it was sweet, he didn't deserve to win when he took someone who stood a good chance of defeating him with the jury. The jury can be fickle about who they pick, but there is no way this jury would give the money to any of these 3 women over the 2 men. A Tom and Ian final won't happen.
Yes and no I think.

Whereas I agree Ian is the only other survivor left who might get a vote for a mil, I still think Tom has it locked down. That said, everyone knows Tom and Ian are boys. So if Tom boots Ian at final 3 it could work against him in the $$ vote. People don't like to give it to traitors and that would give Tom the only knock against him. I still think Tom would win but he might lose a vote or 2 for a 4-3, or 5-2 win.

However if Ian dumped Tom at final 3 I think he would be praised for it and I don't think anyone would hold it against him. He would be seen as a dragon slayer and that may be the only way he can win this thing. He might win it 6-1 in that case.

I agree that the jury would never give a mil to any of the remaining women if Tom is somehow bounced beforehand.
Old 05-10-05, 08:27 AM

If they were really stranded, after about a year these people would start praying to Tom. He is clearly the best survivor on the island. To dispute that, IMO, is ludicrous. He may be the best ever.
That may be true, but they are not really stranded. Within the GAME, Tom and Ian are near equal in my eyes. I would still give the slight edge to Tom, but to say it's a landslide is not accurate.
Old 05-10-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now what would everyone think if the jury actually wasn't used this season? what if everyone was just played and the winner would come down to being the winner of one final super survivor challenge? I doubt they would ever do it but I think it would be funny to see just once. let the jury run through their nitpick/bitch session and then have Jeff say "ok, lets get to the final challenge and see who wins it all". the look on everyones faces would be pure gold when they realize they can't pick a winner on the possibility of spite.

this would also be great just to prove who the ultimate survivor is and not who was more popular between the 2.
Old 05-10-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

I doesn't matter which one you prefer, Ian or Tom. If either of them is stupid enough to bring the other to the final 2, they don't deserve to win.

I couldn't agree more.

The jury portion of the game is overrated in the sense that I think most jurors already have their mind made up and no matter is said, that won't change. Maybe there is one voter in each edition that comes in truly on the fence.
Old 05-10-05, 08:53 AM

I doesn't matter which one you prefer, Ian or Tom. If either of them is stupid enough to bring the other to the final 2, they don't deserve to win.
I was thinking the same as well. What I said was ideally (for entertainment purposes) a Tom/Ian final would be the best scenario.
Old 05-10-05, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Tom would be safe bringing Ian. I think Tom is safe with anyone. But if Ian has the chance to boot Tom and doesn't, then he's a fool.
Old 05-10-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,040 Likes on 857 Posts
Tom was, and is, beyond a shadow of anyone's doubt, the emotional, and physical leader of Koror. Tom consistently went up against Ulong's best challengers, and beat them soundly. He almost singlehandedly dismantled Ulong and is the biggest reason Koror had this historic run. He kept his team together when they were pulling in different directions. He picked up slack when others lagged. He caught a fucking shark. If they were really stranded, after about a year these people would start praying to Tom. He is clearly the best survivor on the island. To dispute that, IMO, is ludicrous. He may be the best ever.
I agree. Slight caveat that in previous seasons a lot of people who might have been as strong as Tom got voted out early, but he played the biggest part in keeping his tribe from going to tribal council.
Old 05-10-05, 04:55 PM

Within the GAME, Tom and Ian are near equal in my eyes. I would still give the slight edge to Tom, but to say it's a landslide is not accurate.
I very strongly disagree with that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.