Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Palau 05/05/05

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be voted off May 5, 2005?
Caryn
21.05%
Gregg
52.63%
Dolphin Boy Ian
3.51%
Jennifer
3.51%
Katie
10.53%
Tom
8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Palau 05/05/05

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, there was the final 2 of Vecepia and Neelah, and Sandra and Lil. Both were pretty sucky final 2's.
Old 05-05-05, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runner001
I'm not understanding why some people here think they've started to play the game. Sure they did some strategizing, but then Ian basically F*ed it up by going to Katie. What the hell for?? If Ian was truely playing the game and not worrying about making a stupid promise to someone that isn't even in the game (Katie's bro-in-law), then the original plan would have stuck (picking rocks from a tie).
I might have missed part of the episode, but why would you pick for a situation where chance decides who goes home over taking out a surefire threat? Granted, Tom might go home, which would help Ian out a lot, but Jen or Katie going home doesn't seem as big as taking out Greggggg.
Old 05-05-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Sure they did some strategizing, but then Ian basically F*ed it up by going to Katie. What the hell for?? If Ian was truely playing the game and not worrying about making a stupid promise to someone that isn't even in the game (Katie's bro-in-law), then the original plan would have stuck (picking rocks from a tie).
At first I was like WTF when he went and told Katie,but it was smart in a way because then he didn't have to do the draw rocks thing,which would have put him at risk to go home.
Old 05-05-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Best episode yet! Almost thought Ian fucked up by telling Katie but really, it just goes to show the jury how much more two faced she is just to stay in the game.

There has got to be one last immunity challenge that will not be physical (usually the 'how well do you know about your tribe members' kind of challenge), that might be next week before it goes to the final four. If that's the case, Caryn or Jen may be in trouble. I think Tom, Ian and Katie are capable of recalling any facts about their tribe. I don't like the previews making it seem like
Spoiler:
Katie may force Ian to do something stupid.
Old 05-05-05, 11:11 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
Someone could design an entire library of smilies based on Coby's expressions during these last few TC's. Would be great.

I really wish he could have kept his mouth a little more quiet and stuck around longer.
Old 05-05-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really think a lot of the last several Survivors were unremarkable, but this has been a very good season. I have forgotten most of the people from the last few Survivors completely, but I think this has been a very good cast. Steph might not have been as good as her hype, but her heart while her entire tribe was being humiliated every week made me start caring a lot earlier in the game. I actually like everyone left at least a little bit except for Caryn and it's not as much that she's done anything wrong as she's just done nothing at all.

Katie is a good villian. But she's not SO bad that you just can't stand her. Jenn is the best looking Survivor woman other than Amber and maybe Elisabeth. I'm surprised she's so disliked here. She doesn't seem to have much of a personality, but she's not been a bad Survivor either. If one of the women win a challenge that involves physicality, she'd be the only one with a shot.

I really like Tom, but he's been the strongest and the favorite for so long, I'm kind of hoping he doesn't win. I'm hoping Ian pulls it out, but if he gets too involved with Katie, he might self destruct. It also makes sense for me to root for the person you all refer to as Dolphin Boy.
Old 05-06-05, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I'd bet for many people a lot of that feeling stems from the fact that the entire first 2/3 of the season was all about the perpetually losing tribe. Every TC was all about them. Now they are all gone. This is almost like a new season starting. You know almost nothing about anyone except maybe Tom (and to a lesser extent Gregg) at this point, and it's too late to start caring. Caryn? Jen? Katie? Barely blips on the radar. Have they done or said much of anything? And yet they are in the final 6.
You hit the Nail on the Head...After rooting for the losing tribe for so long, the other tribe, ie the current one just doesn't seem like it belongs, yet it does because of all the wins...Very Strange...At this point I'm rooting for Ian or Tom...

Bruce
Old 05-06-05, 02:02 AM

Ian basically F*ed it up by going to Katie. What the hell for?? If Ian was truely playing the game and not worrying about making a stupid promise to someone that isn't even in the game (Katie's bro-in-law), then the original plan would have stuck (picking rocks from a tie).

The plan should have been to break up the couple. But if they looked forward and not just for another 3 days, they should have voted a Jenn. As someone mentioned, now it's a boys V girls situation and the girls have the numbers. Jenn obviously would want to do a BVG, Katie might
Spoiler:
because of the previews, but that could be to throw us off?
but Caryn is an iffy.

Caryn might be stupid yet again and decide to stick with Ian and Tom even though she can't win any challenges against them. I mean, just look at the chance she took voting Steph out knowing she was the next one to go (she could not have known that the 5 alliance would shatter).
Yea, you're right. Except for the fact that leaving it up to the stones is (IMO, of course)teh FUCKING IDIOTIC!!!! It wasn't their strategy to go to the rocks, it was going to be the last resort. The strategy was to boot Gregg, which was correct because when you try to take out an opposing force you cut it off at the head. You do not worry about a toe who might maybe later become someone else's toe. 1st things 1st. Gregg was clearly the brains/strategizer of the 3, therefore a no-brainer to vote out.

There was no downside to telling Katie of their plan. Even if she did tell Gregg, there was nothing they could do. Ian and Tom were prepared for the deadlock stones situation which ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would try to avoid unless you KNEW you were going home. No one was going to vote Katie off so why should she try her luck with the rock drawing? Her choice: 1)stay with Gregg/Jenn and go to the rocks, risking being sent home herself, or 2)vote with Tom/Ian/Caryn and send home a plotting half of a strong alliance of 2. She's got the same shot at final 3 now as she did with G/J.

Ian needed Tom and Caryn to stick around for him to go anywhere. If either went home via the rocks or whatever Ian knew he'd be next.

I thought it was a good move.
Old 05-06-05, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
There was no downside to telling Katie of their plan. Even if she did tell Gregg, there was nothing they could do. Ian and Tom were prepared for the deadlock stones situation which ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would try to avoid unless you KNEW you were going home. No one was going to vote Katie off so why should she try her luck with the rock drawing? Her choice: 1)stay with Gregg/Jenn and go to the rocks, risking being sent home herself, or 2)vote with Tom/Ian/Caryn and send home a plotting half of a strong alliance of 2. She's got the same shot at final 3 now as she did with G/J.

Ian needed Tom and Caryn to stick around for him to go anywhere. If either went home via the rocks or whatever Ian knew he'd be next.

Right on. I was looking at the tv in disbelief at Ian and Tom not willing to go after Katie and tell her whats what and just risking the rocks. IMHO it was a great plan to just pull her aside right before Tribal Council so that she couldn't even think of trying to plot and scheme. Was really glad when I saw Ian pull that off. Though what the hell is Ian's attachment to Katie? Did she give him a bj in the jungle or something? Cause so far she's done nothing to endear herself to him that I can see.

It's true that the girls could try and come together again and vote of the guys, but as we've seen before Caryn probably won't play that. She's to into Tom's silver foxiness to notice she is screwed. Though if it's just the two boys and Caryn left, I think they both would want to take her into the final 2.

And how in the hell does Jenn still manage to look like roses after all this time?

Anb TC Steph in all her bronze goodness?
Old 05-06-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it was in Tom and Ian's plan to tell Katie right before TC, CBS just edited to make that seem like a surprise

~Jason
Old 05-06-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, you're right. Except for the fact that leaving it up to the stones is (IMO, of course)teh FUCKING IDIOTIC!!!! It wasn't their strategy to go to the rocks, it was going to be the last resort.

All of this talk about how stupid a move it was to go to Katie -- are you folks watching the same show that I am? Because in the Survivor that I watched last night, it was pretty clear that in Tom and Ian's first strategy session, the WHOLE POINT was to bring Katie in -- at the very last minute -- essentially forcing her to vote Gregg off by their willingness to go to the stones...
Old 05-06-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Am I the only one here who is not impressed with Jen's looks?
I think she is ok looking,but not really hot.
Old 05-06-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by the action
Here is how its going to go down, I'm calling my shot
5th Jenn
4th Caryn

Baby Shark Destroyer Tom will win the final immunity, because they are usually physical and laborous. He'll take dolphin boy with him, because he thinks he is more deserving than Katie (which is true). Tom will beat Ian 4(Coby, Jenn, Steph, Caryn) to the dolphin boy's 3 (Katie, Janu, Gregg)
I think Katie will go before Caryn, but otherwise I agree.

Fun episode with the exception that the promos for the show spoiled that it would not be a tie.
Old 05-06-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I barely even recognized Steph; thought she looked much better BEFORE all the primping. Ian looks like he's down to about 96 lbs., most of it bone. Yikes.

Nice of Tom to back of his words and pay Gregg back, and nice of Gregg to admit he'd been played. "You guys are good..."
Old 05-06-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Am I the only one here who is not impressed with Jen's looks?
I think she is ok looking,but not really hot.

I am right there with you.

Her? I mean her.
Old 05-06-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Caryn is on easy street...EVERY SINGLE remaining survivor wiould take her to the final 2
Old 05-06-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Caryn is on easy street...EVERY SINGLE remaining survivor wiould take her to the final 2
I don't agree. I think Ian and Tom would take each other. I just don't see either of them back stabbing the other one. I also think Ian or Tom would take Katie over Caryn. No idea who Jen would take.
Old 05-06-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get the talk of Katie being a weak player earlier in this thread. She was the first one in Koror to actually play the game. Last week she wanted to correctly vote Tom out. This week she correctly jumped over to Jen and Gregg as it seemed they were making decisions and it also seemed that Caryn replaced her spot with Ian and Tom. She jumped back when she had no choice. Next weeks it looks she is using some emotion to get Ian to do her bidding. I think she's played the best mental game thus far.
Old 05-06-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
All of this talk about how stupid a move it was to go to Katie -- are you folks watching the same show that I am? Because in the Survivor that I watched last night, it was pretty clear that in Tom and Ian's first strategy session, the WHOLE POINT was to bring Katie in -- at the very last minute -- essentially forcing her to vote Gregg off by their willingness to go to the stones...
That's the same show I saw last night. It's was one of the most daring moments of strategy I've seen on Survivor to date. Easily one of my all time favorite Survivor moments.

Most susvivors would go along with Gregg and try to find a way to change their luck before the next TC or hope for immunity. I love how they approached Katie and basically said, "We're willing to throw the dice and see what happens. Are you?"

Tom & Ian seem pretty loyal and basically honest to me. I'm guessing they'll play straight with Caryn and Jen and Katie will now be 4th & 5th. I think Katie should have taken her chances with the rocks. With Gregg & Jen she would have gotten at least third place (had the rock outcome favored their trio).
Old 05-06-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
That's the same show I saw last night. It's was one of the most daring moments of strategy I've seen on Survivor to date. Easily one of my all time favorite Survivor moments.

Most susvivors would go along with Gregg and try to find a way to change their luck before the next TC or hope for immunity. I love how they approached Katie and basically said, "We're willing to throw the dice and see what happens. Are you?"

Tom & Ian seem pretty loyal and basically honest to me. I'm guessing they'll play straight with Caryn and Jen and Katie will now be 4th & 5th. I think Katie should have taken her chances with the rocks. With Gregg & Jen she would have gotten at least third place (had the rock outcome favored their trio).
But if Katie had stuck with Gregg and Jen, there was a chance of her being booted off with the rocks. Even if she made it to the final 3, Gregg would ask Jen who he should pick and Jen would pick Gregg probably so her best option would be to be in the final 3 with Ian and Tom. There at least there is oportunity to be in the final 2.
Old 05-06-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead
But if Katie had stuck with Gregg and Jen, there was a chance of her being booted off with the rocks. Even if she made it to the final 3, Gregg would ask Jen who he should pick and Jen would pick Gregg probably so her best option would be to be in the final 3 with Ian and Tom. There at least there is oportunity to be in the final 2.
Here's how I see it. She turned on Tom & Ian and they know she turned. I believe they'll hold that against her and honor Caryn's loyalty. So I'd say Katie is now going out 4th or 5th. That's what rejoining Tom & Ian gets her.

If she had the balls to go to the rocks like Tom & Ian were willing to do, she might have lost and taken 6th place. That's not much worse than 4th or 5th. Jen might have been the loser and her and Gregg are back to 4th or 5th. Or Caryn or Tom might have lost. That's puts her back to at least 3rd or better if she could win the final immunity.

I'd take a 50-50 chance at third or better than an almost guarenteed 4th or 5th. I think that's why Tom & Ian told her the plan at the last minute. So she wouldn't think things through. Plus most people have the attitude that it's somehow better to get three more days to change your fate than to risk it with something like drawing rocks. The problem is that Tom doesn't strike me as the type to accept Katie back into the fold. Plus Caryn is far better to go against in the final 2. I think her game is almost over. That's why I loved their stategy. After all these seasons, we finally saw something new.

That said, would they really have drawn rocks? I thought I remembered reading that after they did that with Pascal that the producers didn't like that way of tie breaking. How do they know they would have done rocks?
Old 05-06-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To be fair here, Tom was the only one taking the gamble as it turned out. Ian could not have gone home. So this leaves it as a 2 out of 3 chance that either Jen or Katie would go home. Either way, Katie would be screwed. I think it was smart for her to go back to Tom/Ian/Caryn. Katie got screwed by Caryn not doing the woman alliance last week. She went for broke and suggested it to Caryn and it is going to bite her in the ass. Atleast she is trying things.
Old 05-06-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
if that was tom and ian's original plan, then I am going to reevaluate what I thought. I don't recall seeing the part where tom and ian said they would bring in Katie at the very last minute.

The strategy was to boot Gregg, which was correct because when you try to take out an opposing force you cut it off at the head. You do not worry about a toe who might maybe later become someone else's toe. 1st things 1st. Gregg was clearly the brains/strategizer of the 3, therefore a no-brainer to vote out.
equally as valid is the POV that without any subjects/minions the king/head is equally as useless. taking out Jenn instead of Gregg would have been looking ahead to avoid any possible Girl V Boy scenerio while breaking up the Gregg/Jenn alliance.

Gregg would then still be the target since Tom and Ian have an easy majority with just one of the girls whereas Gregg would need to get both the remaining girls to still stick with him.

Steph looked delicious as usual.
Old 05-06-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BDLOU
To be fair here, Tom was the only one taking the gamble as it turned out. Ian could not have gone home.
That's true, but Ian was willing to draw rocks before he won immunity.

So this leaves it as a 2 out of 3 chance that either Jen or Katie would go home.
2 out of 3? So the two voted for (Caryn & Gregg) would be safe. Ian has immunity I guess. I guess that is right.

Either way, Katie would be screwed. I think it was smart for her to go back to Tom/Ian/Caryn. Katie got screwed by Caryn not doing the woman alliance last week. She went for broke and suggested it to Caryn and it is going to bite her in the ass. Atleast she is trying things.
I still say she's gone 4th or 5th. If Katie turned on me and Caryn didn't, added to the fact that Katie has better odds than Caryn of getting votes at the end, I'd keep Caryn. Katie will have to do some major playing here to get better than 4th. And Tom doesn't seem like the type to be easily fooled.
Old 05-06-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

equally as valid is the POV that without any subjects/minions the king/head is equally as useless. taking out Jenn instead of Gregg would have been looking ahead to avoid any possible Girl V Boy scenerio while breaking up the Gregg/Jenn alliance.
Don't forget that Caryn already passed on the chance to get an all girl alliance formed. I don't think there's much threat of that happening at this point. And I'd rather play against Jen for immunity than Gregg. Although Jen did do very well last night and out lasted Gregg.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.