Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

C.S.I.: Season Finale (5/19) "Grave Danger" directed by Tarantino (*SPOILERS*)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

C.S.I.: Season Finale (5/19) "Grave Danger" directed by Tarantino (*SPOILERS*)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought it was all right... epsiodes from the first two seasons were better than this.
Some dialogues felt out of place, and some characters were acting a little too Tarantino-esque for me (the locker scene with Nick and Warrick for example).
Overall, I thought it was a dissapointing season finale for me (however, I did not like this season in general)

Last edited by Spring Roll; 05-20-05 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-20-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, the nick/warrick scene in the locker room screamed tarantino.

man, i am allergic to ants (so i HATE them), and i'm pretty claustrophobic. i would not have lasted... no way.

great episode. like someone mentioned, i liked when grissom was reading lips. very good scene.

was there any mention of who the lead CSI was on the crazy guy's daughter's case?
Old 05-20-05, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
I have mixed feelings. I thought it was strong overall, but there were some blatant fakeouts that added nothing to the mix (the blonde twins early on) or, worse, had me cringing in disbelief (the whole "We've found him/they're digging me out! oh, it's not him/so what was I just hearing?" passage -- I'm sorry, that was just bad, cheap, and stupid).
It's called a plot twist.

I really enjoyed the show. Great quirky Character moments like the Dukes of Hazzard game and Grissom ordering the Roy Rodgers certificate.
Old 05-20-05, 10:35 AM

yeah, but what was the noise nick was hearing? just the glass about to crack?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-20-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-20-05, 11:21 AM

I screwed up and missed this show. My wife loves "The OC," so that show is higher in priority on our TiVo than CSI. As a result, the TiVo was set to record only The OC. All day I told myself: remember to set the VCR to record CSI, remember to set the VCR to record CSI, remember to set the VCR to record CSI. Guess what I forgot to do: set the VCR to record CSI. Seemed like a simple enough thing to remember.

Anyway, anybody know if and when this episode will be re-aired? Does anybody know of any other way to get this episode? Thanks.
Old 05-20-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 653 Likes on 503 Posts
I think there was no noise. He was just losing it due to the lack of oxygen. Remember that at that point they were still cutting off his air whenever they turned on the light.
Old 05-20-05, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think there was no noise. He was just losing it due to the lack of oxygen. Remember that at that point they were still cutting off his air whenever they turned on the light.
the light had been off for some time when that scene occurred. It occurred after he shot the light out.

and Double Down, what are you doing letting your wife rank shows above yours?
Old 05-20-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
It's called a plot twist.
No, it was a cheap, lazy trick.
I have no problem with the twist -- it was only 9.30, so something else had to be coming. What I object to was the cheapness. We SAW Nick hearing SOMETHING -- there were definitely sounds of shovelling, and he was shouting and singing in response. It wasn't a matter of losing it or of his air running out - he didn't demonstrate these behaviours in the same way before or after. He was responding to sounds he was hearing. To cut away from a POV scene showing the glass being cleared from Nick's POV to a dead dog was a cheap end run that was never even addressed by the show. Maybe the sounds he was hearing were from the glass cracking -- I'd buy that, but not easily -- but it wasn't set up and it wasn't addressed. It was sloppy and a cheap ploy for a thrill. Bad film-making.

And clearly, I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 05-20-05, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
FWIW, the first thing that came to my mind was hearing the glass cracking.
Old 05-20-05, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Looks like I'm in the minority, but I found this to be nothing special, just another CSI episode. You could've swapped out Tarantino with anybody as director.

Did you notice that the little fellow from Kill Bill was in this as the courier's lawyer? Kill Bill spoiler:
Spoiler:
He was the guy who helped Michael Madsen bury Uma Thurman alive
DId you notice the guy the blonde cop at the beginning was the guy who was set to marry Uma THurman in Kill bill?

THis was the first ever CSI episode I had ever seen. I really really liked it. I'm a huge tarantino fan and it definitely felt like a tarantino film. THe dialogue between the 2 csi's in the locker room was just like jules and vincent talking about the foot massage. The guy explaining the board game sounded just like he was filling in for eric stoltz as the drug dealer. There were so many tarantinoism's it was great. During the beginning, my brother's wife made him pause it and was like "this is not csi", saying that none of the characters ever talk that way.

Anyway, I may start watching this show from now on. I'm hoping QT does some more stuff liket his in the future too...
Old 05-20-05, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
No, it was a cheap, lazy trick....
Maybe the sounds he was hearing were from the glass cracking -- I'd buy that, but not easily -- but it wasn't set up and it wasn't addressed. It was sloppy and a cheap ploy for a thrill. Bad film-making..
It's just like the switcharoo scene from
Spoiler:
silence of the lambs
. Same thing going on here. He heard the noise of the glass cracking at the same time that they were digging up a grave. Therefore, we are made to believe they are connected. Great plot device, great fakeout.
Old 05-20-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xDareDevilx
It's just like the switcharoo scene from
Spoiler:
silence of the lambs
. Same thing going on here. He heard the noise of the glass cracking at the same time that they were digging up a grave. Therefore, we are made to believe they are connected. Great plot device, great fakeout.
Hey, I know what it's LIKE, and I know the intent, I just didn't think it was well done. It felt cheap, hokey and unsupported. YMMV
Old 05-20-05, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by xDareDevilx
During the beginning, my brother's wife made him pause it and was like "this is not csi", saying that none of the characters ever talk that way.
I wouldn't necessarily agree 100% with that. I've been going through the first few seasons on dvd and Nick & Warrick definitely have had that chemistry and great moments all along, the moments are just few and far between recently. I thought QT did a great job staying true to the characters, especially Gris. I was pumped when he started reading Nick's lips and then got a giddy chuckle when the fire ants appeared. I knew Nick was in good hands at that point.

The only character that was totally off base was Eckley. I think all that was to show that he does have a human side though.
Old 05-20-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does ANYONE have this episode available for download? My Tivo chose to record the American Idol special instead of this, and I am so pissed at myself for not moving this up on the priority list! If anyone has this available to share, PLEASE email me. Thanks!
Old 05-20-05, 09:22 PM

Just got a chance to watch this episode. WOW!! To echo others, I think House was the best hour of tv, but this was the best 2 hours. One thing I didn't like was the end scene. I understood Nick going to see the daughter to try and get some understanding of why...but why did QT decide to end with the daughter in the cell. It pissed me off cause she should be getting more jail time for being an accessory cause you know she told her dad to bury Nick in a fire ant mound so noone would get near him and she probably knew where he was the whole time. Thus, to have the ending scene be that bitch having a glimmer of hope just lit me on fire.
Old 05-21-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
I finally saw it tonight.

Very well done episode and happy how it turned out. I wouldn't mind if QT come back to direct another episode on the show.

Man, Tony Curtis has not aged very well.

Can't wait for next season!
Old 05-21-05, 09:22 AM

I thought this was very interesting TV. I just have a few nitpicks -- perhaps they can be explained:

1) Why would the kidnapper take out Nick at the fourth point of the crime scene (where the cup was), remove his vest, pick up Nick's camera, and then walk both of those items back to the THIRD point of the crime scene (where the tire treads were), which was way out in the open?

2) When the webcam feed went out, was it ONLY the light that went out (but the cam continued)? I was under the impression that the web cam AND the light went out, flicking the switch back on for the fan (and replacing the CSI's view with the "You can only WATCH" message). So, when Nick shoots out the light, that shouldn't change the fact that the fan should have gone out when the webcam feed was "clicked" back on. However, they still had a webcam feed on him even after the light was broken (what happened to the 2 minute rule?). What battery is that cam working on?

3) The part about Nick hearing noises at the EXACT same time as the dog was discovered was a little cheesy.

Other than that though, great episode!
Old 05-21-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Groucho

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I found this to be nothing special, just another CSI episode. You could've swapped out Tarantino with anybody as director.
Well, I'm with you on "nothing special", but it certainly had the Tarantino touch. There was more non-plot related character interaction in this ep than an entire season of the regular show, and there were entire scenes of dialogue that just reeked of Tarantino's voice. He is credited with "story" not "teleplay", but he had to have written some of that dialogue. Unfortunately, some of it seemed wildly out of place, with characters dropping pop culture metaphors in awkward situations. Also, Dourdan's acting left a lot to be desired.

Then again, I've never been much of a fan of the show anyway. It's standard procedural drama, just exaggerated to unrealistic levels, bombarded with fancy gadgets, and heavy on the neon lights. That everything came down to Grissom's lip-reading and obscure insects yet again just underscores how silly the show can be.

Anyway, I enjoyed it like I enjoy any mindless entertainment, but I agree that it was nothing special.

das
Old 05-21-05, 10:07 AM
RVP

I was not able to catch the episode, and i don't have Tivo, can anyone speculate if they will rerun this again anytime soon? I don't think I can wait for the dvd. Sorry if this was asked. I didn't read the thread, I was afraid of spoilers.
Old 05-21-05, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
OK this is strange, on WED I truned on my TV and just left the DirectTV tuner where it was cause I was to lazy change the channel . Well anyway guess what was on! The Vikings! I never saw it before but noticed Tony Curtis and Krik Douglas and pressed the info button to see what the movie was. The low and behold on CSI there is Tony Curtis talking about The Vikings!!

Is that creepy or what!
Old 05-21-05, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
goddammit....my dvr recorded only the last hour for some damned reason?!??!? I saw the very beginning where the guy blows up live, hit record, and then watched the Pistons game....went to watch CSI last night and it only has the last 55 minutes I suppose that's better than the first 55, but I was a bit lost and sure would like to see the whole thing. I didn't realize Tarantino was directing either, so would like to watch from that perspective too.
Old 05-21-05, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Darq
2) When the webcam feed went out, was it ONLY the light that went out (but the cam continued)? I was under the impression that the web cam AND the light went out, flicking the switch back on for the fan (and replacing the CSI's view with the "You can only WATCH" message). So, when Nick shoots out the light, that shouldn't change the fact that the fan should have gone out when the webcam feed was "clicked" back on. However, they still had a webcam feed on him even after the light was broken (what happened to the 2 minute rule?). What battery is that cam working on?
The webcam was over his head. Showing his facial expressions. Every shot was this way. Even the camera was found in the dirt over his head. He shot out the light next to his feet. The two were unrelated.

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It's standard procedural drama, just exaggerated to unrealistic levels, bombarded with fancy gadgets, and heavy on the neon lights.
das
Pretty strong words for the show that set the standard.
Old 05-21-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Corvin

Pretty strong words for the show that set the standard.
I have nothing against C.S.I. -- it's a perfectly fine show, and my comment was not to start an argument over the show's quality, but to put in perspective my opinion on this particular episode -- but what standard? The procedural drama has been around since the TV gods looked down upon man and said, "let there be reception." C.S.I. has just glitzed it up with kickass music and cool special effects and the trademark evidence-gathering montage, but at its core of storytelling, it's no different than countless other shows before it and since. Doctors, lawers, cops, private eyes, and pesky teens had been "following the evidence" long before the hearing-impaired, insect-obsessed, bearded wonder dropped on the scene. I have nothing against the show -- honestly -- but I'm not sure to what "standard" you are referring.

das
Old 05-21-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 628 Likes on 504 Posts
CSI hardly set the standard for procedural crime dramas.
Old 05-21-05, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
CSI hardly set the standard for procedural crime dramas.
Agreed! Procedural crime dramas have been around for quite some time now!

WOW! Just reading through the posts in this thread, looks like a lot of people's DVR's decieded to take a giant crap when CSI came on!!

Kudos to QT for a fine episode of CSI!!

Take care all!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.