Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

C.S.I.: Season Finale (5/19) "Grave Danger" directed by Tarantino (*SPOILERS*)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

Just found this at cinescape, courtesy of csifiles.com:

CSIFiles.com has posted the first plot information on "Grave Danger," the upcoming fifth-season CSI finale directed by Quentin Tarantino.

The episode was written by showrunner Carol Mendelsohn, CSI creator Anthony Zuiker, and executive producer Naren Shankar, based on a story by Quentin Tarantino. The episode is scheduled to air on Wednesday the 19th of May.
Spoiler:

***SPOILER ALERT***

In the episode, main character Nick Stokes is kidnapped by someone with an apparent grudge against the CSIs. By the time he wakes up again, he's trapped in a coffin, together with his loaded handgun and a tape recorder with a message telling him it's probably best to kill himself, as he's going to die anyway. There's also a webcam in the coffin, which transmits an image back to the CSI lab...

WOW! This sounds very promising. If it turns out half as good as it sounds, Tarantino can pen some more stories anytime.
Old 04-22-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
I hope that Nick has practiced his 1" punch technique
Old 04-22-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bigsoos
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Or has a cellphone to be used like that Alias episode with the same plot a few weeks ago......
Old 04-22-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
*note to self, program DVR to record this series

Last edited by rabbit77; 04-22-05 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-22-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsoos
Spoiler:

I immediately thought the same thing.
Old 04-22-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
They should kill him for calling in sick during this seasons premiere. That would teach him.
Old 04-22-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Chew
Spoiler:
Or has a cellphone to be used like that Alias episode with the same plot a few weeks ago......

Yeah, no kidding. back to the drawing board.
Old 05-11-05, 03:00 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Some more info, as reported here

When Quentin Tarantino joined the CSI writers to develop his idea for the season finale, they worked together so well the basic story was ready in less than an hour.

"[It] was so good, I thought, 'I have to direct this,'" Tarantino told Craig Tomashoff at TV Guide.
Spoiler:
As previously reported, the finale will feature Nick Stokes being kidnapped and buried alive. "What happens to this CSI team member is going to be horrific. Everyone will put themselves in that character's place and say, 'How would I handle this?' And most will say, 'I couldn't.' The bad guy even buries a gun with this character."

Tarantino said this bad guy was one of the elements of the finale he came up with. "His motivation is that his daughter was arrested and thrown into jail," he said. "It was evidence that CSI uncovered that made her an accessory to murder. She's a normal girl put in the criminal justice system for five years, and she's been raped and turned into a slave in prison. After what she's been forced to endure, her father is going to do the same to the CSIs. He'll be giving them clues, but they all lead to another dead end."

Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, Tarantino revealed that he wasn't primarily interested in CSI because of its trademark visual style, but rather because of the characters -- he called William Petersen's Gil Grissom "TV's best detective since Columbo." Almost all of Tarantino's ideas for the characters were accepted by CBS, with the exception of one joke he wanted to put in. "They got [the joke], and said at 10 o'clock, maybe I could do it. But not at 8 o'clock. It was this funny piece of dialogue between Greg and Hodges. The producers loved it but told me CBS didn't think bestiality is a fine topic for prime time."

Besides his love for CSI, Tarantino said he had one other reason for agreeing to helm "Grave Danger" -- to prepare himself for a full-scale move into television. "I'm interested in doing a show of my own," he said. "This was testing the water. There are some ideas that I've had for movies that are too long. Most people aren't down with four hour movies. But TV has caught up with my aspirations. You could truly do these stories as a TV show."

More thoughts from Tarantino, dealing with everything from why Conrad Ecklie has been getting an unfair bad rap to the first time he ever saw CSI, can be found in the May 15 - May 21 issue of TV Guide. This issue features the cast of Everybody Loves Raymond on the cover, and should be available in stores soon. Massive thanks go out to Al Forno for this!
Old 05-19-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm pumped. Can't wait to see what Tarantino pulls tonight.
Old 05-19-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
I'm all set to watch this show tonight.
Old 05-19-05, 09:10 AM

Yup - I'm psyched as well.
Old 05-19-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts
It's funny that Tarantino has resorted to plagiarizing himself. I have to watch it to see Frank Gorshin's last performance though.
Old 05-19-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was kind of sad to see the Frank Gorshin cameo, fully aware that it was one of the last bit of acting he'd ever do.

The last segment of this episode was pretty darn intense, and the directorial flourish of Tarantino was apparent. The rest of the episode fit in pretty well with the usual CSI tone, but Tarantino was still able to put his own stamp on the 2 hour season finale.

Will Ecklie give Grissom his boys back?
Old 05-19-05, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
It was kind of sad to see the Frank Gorshin cameo, fully aware that it was one of the last bit of acting he'd ever do.

The last segment of this episode was pretty darn intense, and the directorial flourish of Tarantino was apparent. The rest of the episode fit in pretty well with the usual CSI tone, but Tarantino was still able to put his own stamp on the 2 hour season finale.

Will Ecklie give Grissom his boys back?
Where was Frank Gorshin in this episode? We missed part of it... What did he do in this episode?

Great ep. by the way, definate Tarantino overtones!
Old 05-19-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When Catherine goes to Sam to get the $1 million, Frank on sitting on the right side of the screen, and jokes around, doing impression, the last one was of Jack Nicholson, while goffing around with Sam and the other 2 people in the rounded booth.
Old 05-19-05, 09:16 PM
Suspended

I an new to the CSI craze never saw an episode till tonight and I will start watching then now, since I am 23 and need a new carrer to go into I think this would be easy and fun to do this so the show might get me prepaired. What did he mean by give his boys back and who was Frank Grissom in the show tonight?
Old 05-19-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wooderson, good luck getting prepaired for your new carrer!

This was without a doubt the best episode of CSI this season. Great stuff!!!
Old 05-19-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Wooderson
I an new to the CSI craze never saw an episode till tonight and I will start watching then now, since I am 23 and need a new carrer to go into I think this would be easy and fun to do this so the show might get me prepaired. What did he mean by give his boys back and who was Frank Grissom in the show tonight?
Frank Gorshin: read the post above yours.

"Give me my boys back": For the past 4 1/2 years all the CSI's were on one team with Grissom in charge, the night shift. About 12 episodes ago, Eckley split them all up. Gave Catherine a promotion. She is in charge of the mid shift and Nick and Warrick work for her now. Grissom still is on the night shift, with Sara and former lab rat, Greg under him.

Yeah, good luck but 98% of the show, tools, equipment, methods, and the like is fictional. I've read that a real CSI rarely, if ever leaves the lab. They don't interrogate suspects, they don't carry guns... I would hate to see someone get into a field because of an unrealistic tv show.

This was a great episode. Another reason why this is the one and only CSI in my book. Characters. The other two shows can't even come close to the chemistry this cast has.
Old 05-19-05, 09:44 PM

Do I have to wait till the week before the fall premiere to catch the rerun?
Thought it was from 9-11pm and vcr didnt catch it.

Will Spike or another network show it before then?
Old 05-19-05, 09:45 PM

Yup, great episode tonight. Intense and well played out. Good to see John Saxon getting work these days!

I think QT handled the episode very well and was able to add a few of his touches (dialogue, camera zoom and a nod to the 'Godfather of Gore'...Lucio Fulci).

I also loved the exchange between Grissom and the 'terrorist':

Grissom: "Are you a terrorist?"

Bad guy: "Are you terrified?"
Old 05-19-05, 09:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought this was a great ep, it felt more like a movie than a tv show. I wonder how much of that money they recovered?

Last edited by DRG; 05-19-05 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-19-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An amazing episode. I'm not a huge QT fan, but this was simply masterful television. And not only that, but it was an amazing episode of CSI. All the minor touches that reference past plots, like Grissom reading Nick's lips... Something I really wasn't expecting.

I feel safe saying that this was the best hour (Well, two) on television this season.
Old 05-19-05, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooderson

be prepared to have a career nothing like the tv show
Old 05-19-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, don't forget, Britney Spears was inspired to start a CSI career because of the show too! All the people inspired by this show will be in good company.
Old 05-19-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My local CBS feed took a shit when Catherine walked into a random room after hearing of the ransom....when it finally came back on, Grissom was walking into the building. How did he know where to go?

WITH THAT BEING SAID....I was surprised to see Gorshen's name in the opening credits AND with the "in memory of", which was weird, cause I never saw him on screen...DUH, I LOST THE FRIGGIN SIGNAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.