Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Freaks and Geeks Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Freaks and Geeks Discussion

I passed this show on to my 14 year old daughter and it's become probably her favorite show ever. The joys of fatherhood.
Old 01-05-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Just finished watching this show for the fourth time.

Love my original Yearbook edition.
Still hurt over that?
Old 01-05-16, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I passed this show on to my 14 year old daughter and it's become probably her favorite show ever. The joys of fatherhood.
Then she might also like "My So-Called Life," "Square Pegs," and the original version of "Degrassi High." (the sequel called "Degrassi: the Next Generation" is not nearly as good)
Old 01-06-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

^She'll also enjoy "Undeclared."
Old 01-06-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
(the sequel called "Degrassi: the Next Generation" is not nearly as good)
But it did star Drake before he was Drake, which is pretty funny.
Old 02-08-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Still hurt over that?
I was never hurt over that. I remember some people complaining about it coming out again but I didn't really care. I wasn't buying it for investment.
Old 02-10-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

This series is coming out on BD for the first time, March 22nd

Amazon Link
Old 02-10-16, 10:24 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

$80 for 18 episodes and features
Old 02-10-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Wasn't that Yearbook DVD edition from a few years ago like $200?
Old 02-10-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Wasn't that Yearbook DVD edition from a few years ago like $200?
Yes, it was. But still $80 is too much, especially with it on Netflix, etc. Absolutely wonderful show though.
Old 02-10-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, i laughed when I saw that price on Amazon. I'd dish out another $29.99 (max) on it.
Old 04-08-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The only extra is an interview and Shout put all but a few minutes of that online:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/backlo...e3bed-88765641
Old 06-18-16, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP Ron Lester.
Old 11-07-16, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I have heard so much about this show for 17 years, but for some reason I never got around to it. I finally started watching it on Netflix and watched the first 5 episodes this weekend.

I was expecting it to be a full hour depressing drama (something like Party of Five), and wasn't expecting it to be refreshingly funny. I think the humor is not over the top and it is actually a nice blend with the drama of every high school kids problems and insecurities.

I think it's a really good show, but I don't see how many say on the internet that this is the greatest show ever? I actually think the mythology of Freaks and Geeks benefits from only being a one and done season show. This show probably would have jumped the shark after Season 3 or 4 once they all graduated Highschool and probably would have not known where to go from there (like 99% of shows), so it benefits from 'what would have happened after Season 1?' I think of Homeland and if it were cancelled after Season 1, and how everyone would say it is one of the greatest shows ever, yet looking back the show was never as great after that.

I can see how this show didn't find an audience in 1999 as it was too realistic for viewers compared to the times of Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place, where everything was over the top soap opera. Plus I think many viewers like to watch shows with cool high school students who everybody wanted to be, where this show was about everyone that wasn't really in the 'cool' groups (the jocks, the pretty girls, etc.)
Old 11-07-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I have heard so much about this show for 17 years, but for some reason I never got around to it. I finally started watching it on Netflix and watched the first 5 episodes this weekend.

I was expecting it to be a full hour depressing drama (something like Party of Five), and wasn't expecting it to be refreshingly funny. I think the humor is not over the top and it is actually a nice blend with the drama of every high school kids problems and insecurities.

I think it's a really good show, but I don't see how many say on the internet that this is the greatest show ever? I actually think the mythology of Freaks and Geeks benefits from only being a one and done season show. This show probably would have jumped the shark after Season 3 or 4 once they all graduated Highschool and probably would have not known where to go from there (like 99% of shows), so it benefits from 'what would have happened after Season 1?' I think of Homeland and if it were cancelled after Season 1, and how everyone would say it is one of the greatest shows ever, yet looking back the show was never as great after that.

I can see how this show didn't find an audience in 1999 as it was too realistic for viewers compared to the times of Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place, where everything was over the top soap opera. Plus I think many viewers like to watch shows with cool high school students who everybody wanted to be, where this show was about everyone that wasn't really in the 'cool' groups (the jocks, the pretty girls, etc.)
That's possible, but we'll never know whether it would have gone off track since it was canceled. The writing though was consistently very good and very tight. I think this season is a perfect nostalgia piece, and it's just another example of a show that was stellar and, for whatever reason, didn't get a second season while so many forgettable shows did.
Old 11-08-16, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I think this season is a perfect nostalgia piece, and it's just another example of a show that was stellar and, for whatever reason, didn't get a second season while so many forgettable shows did.
I do wonder if this were a CW, UPN or even Fox in 1999-00 and maybe had a timeslot after Buffy, Party of Five or Dawson's Creek, would it have found an audience?

I honestly never heard of the show in 1999, yet I knew of all of the other teen dramas back then (Bev Hills, Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Party of Five, Angel). If this show comes after Buffy or Party of Five, maybe I catch it and start watching it.
Old 07-14-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

A&E has a special this Mon July 16 on the series

Old 07-16-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kind of late, but reminder this is on tonight. First 15 minutes were fantastic. This is a well made documentary. Looks like they got everyone in front of and behind the camera to appear. Very cool.
Old 07-17-18, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great Documentary last night as it was cool that they got EVERYONE involved as usually there is one person who gets famous and doesn't want to go back to their earlier work: Sean Penn and Fast Times at Ridgemont High for example. If you really think about it, the key to the show was casting as everyone was perfectly cast and that was the key to believability.

It is interesting that Fox, CBS and ABC passed and NBC picked them up? Why didn't they goto CW or UPN (or whatever they were called back in 1999?) Those Networks catered to a younger demo with shows like Buffy, 7th Heaven, Dawson's Creek, etc, as I still think it would have had a better chance of finding an audience coming after Buffy or Dawson's Creek then any NBC show which was clearly geared for 25-54 age demo.
Old 07-17-18, 06:44 AM

It was great.

I thought it was funny how they got Dennis DeYoung. Every time I hear Sail Away, I think of F&G, but I didn't think it was so associated with that they would interview him.

I know a lot of people are not into the Apatow / Rogen era of comedy, but I always stick with because of F&G. I loved the ending showing how successful everyone became.

Last edited by dex14; 07-17-18 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
It is interesting that Fox, CBS and ABC passed and NBC picked them up? Why didn't they goto CW or UPN (or whatever they were called back in 1999?) Those Networks catered to a younger demo with shows like Buffy, 7th Heaven, Dawson's Creek, etc, as I still think it would have had a better chance of finding an audience coming after Buffy or Dawson's Creek then any NBC show which was clearly geared for 25-54 age demo.
Similiar to how The CW operates now, they had their staples and very little room for new shows. I think at the time they added a new show to go with 7th Heaven from the same creator. But, it didn't last more than a few months. I think Popular and Roswell premiered in '99 too, so they may not have wanted another high school show.
Old 07-17-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Really enjoyed the doc.
Old 07-17-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fantastic doc, through and through. Not a wasted minute.
Wait, I take that back. The 2-5 minutes they spent just naming popular 90's shows was kinda weird.

Originally Posted by dex14
It was great.

I thought it was funny how they got Dennis DeYoung. Every time I hear Sail Away, I think of F&G, but I didn't think it was so associated with that they would interview him.
That was pretty wild.
Old 08-08-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I never watched the show but the A&E doc was great.

It was funny they also got the NBC programming head who did not like the show interviewed on the doc.

I was cracking up when Franco wanted Philipps to go all out on him since that is what Brando would have done

I bet if it came out today and not 1999 it might have survived on Netflix or some other streaming site.

BTW the Blu-ray is around $43-$45 at most sites now.
Old 08-08-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I never watched the show but the A&E doc was great.

It was funny they also got the NBC programming head who did not like the show interviewed on the doc.

I was cracking up when Franco wanted Philipps to go all out on him since that is what Brando would have done

I bet if it came out today and not 1999 it might have survived on Netflix or some other streaming site.

BTW the Blu-ray is around $43-$45 at most sites now.
I lucked out and got it for $34 or thereabouts when Amazon had the 20% off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.