Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Brother 4 - The Ex Factor (Thread III)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Brother 4 - The Ex Factor (Thread III)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
I had the same question. If they are still allowed to see what is going on, then they are not sequestered.
They are permitted to see what is going on inside the BB house. How are they supposed to vote in the jury without a basis for their vote, without seeing the evidence? They are sequestered from the outside world, not from the BB house. That would be like a criminal trial jury being excluded from a courtroom but then asked to decide a verdict.
Old 08-21-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gah, I can't believe how useless Jack is in the HoH competitions. Now with Jee as HoH, you have to think that Jee will try to break up Jack and Erika because, well, he can't really put up Jee or Allison in an overt fashion.

Jee's only problem is who to put up if Erika or Jack get POV and take one of the off the eviction block. I think it would be Jun (but maybe with the deal being that Robert and Allison vote to boot up Erika/Jack anyway).

Oh, Robert's ex-wife is a total MILF.
Old 08-21-03, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by taa455
They are permitted to see what is going on inside the BB house. How are they supposed to vote in the jury without a basis for their vote, without seeing the evidence? They are sequestered from the outside world, not from the BB house. That would be like a criminal trial jury being excluded from a courtroom but then asked to decide a verdict.

I am pretty sure they said last night that the jury gets to see edited tapes of the BB house. The diary room conversations and secret conversations are taken out.

Old 08-21-03, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
Out of curiosity, how did they determine which HG got to come back last year?
The first 4 evicted houseguests -- Laurie, Tonya, Amy and Eric -- had been sequestered separately upon eviction. Then, they were brought back to the studio and "competed" with one another, through an individual Q-&-A session with Julie. (IIRC, she asked them each questions like, "How much of the prize money would you be willing to give up to go back in the house?") Also, they weren't aware that the answers they gave to the questions were going to have any specific payoff. To them, it just looked like another lame Julie interview.

From their answers to the questions, Eric and Amy were given the opportunity to re-enter the house. BUT the final decision was not up to them. The remaining houseguests were sent to different rooms in the house, where they couldn't see one another. Then, one by one, they had a silent vote -- by raising colored paddles -- on which of the two they would like to see come back.

The shocker came when Lisa, who had been romantic with Eric, voted to have Amy come back instead of him. She explained in the Diary Room that, as much as she would love to see him, they were too much of a target together and that her gameplay was better with him gone.

Lisa ultimately ended up the winner of BB3.
Old 08-21-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The last three evictees were all the previous week's HoH. Coincidence?

Erika will be next, followed by Jee.
Old 08-21-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Skorp
The first 4 evicted houseguests -- Laurie, Tonya, Amy and Eric -- had been sequestered separately upon eviction. Then, they were brought back to the studio and "competed" with one another, through an individual Q-&-A session with Julie. (IIRC, she asked them each questions like, "How much of the prize money would you be willing to give up to go back in the house?") Also, they weren't aware that the answers they gave to the questions were going to have any specific payoff. To them, it just looked like another lame Julie interview.

From their answers to the questions, Eric and Amy were given the opportunity to re-enter the house. BUT the final decision was not up to them. The remaining houseguests were sent to different rooms in the house, where they couldn't see one another. Then, one by one, they had a silent vote -- by raising colored paddles -- on which of the two they would like to see come back.

The shocker came when Lisa, who had been romantic with Eric, voted to have Amy come back instead of him. She explained in the Diary Room that, as much as she would love to see him, they were too much of a target together and that her gameplay was better with him gone.

Lisa ultimately ended up the winner of BB3.
Lisa's vote was a shocker but it turned out that even if she had voted for Eric, Amy still would have won.
Old 08-21-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, yeah, Eric was a bigger, faster, stronger physical threat to win HoH, plus he was part of that 4-person clique of Lisa, Roddy, Chiara (and Eric), so it didn't make any sense to bring back Eric over Amy, who was just mainly comic relief.
Old 08-21-03, 12:54 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Gah, I can't believe how useless Jack is in the HoH competitions.
Since Jack's ex-FBI, I hope that's just strategy. He can't really be that inept. Of course maybe that's why he's retired.
Old 08-21-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if this is Jack's strategy, he must win HoH next week if he wants to stay another week (provided that Erika gets shown the door next week). Otherwise, he'll be picked off the following week. He's got no other true allies if Erika is gone.
Old 08-21-03, 01:39 PM
toq

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
The last three evictees were all the previous week's HoH. Coincidence?

Erika will be next, followed by Jee.
Um, Allison wasn't evicted—much less nominated—the week after her reign as HOH.
Old 08-21-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Well, if this is Jack's strategy, he must win HoH next week if he wants to stay another week (provided that Erika gets shown the door next week). Otherwise, he'll be picked off the following week. He's got no other true allies if Erika is gone.
Man, Jack's toss was TOO way off to even be an attempt to throw the competition. His ball didn't even make it in the circle; unlike Allison's attempt, who was obviously tanking it. I have to conclude that it was just total ineptness, not strategy, that led to such a terrible toss. If he really did throw the HOH competition, then he was an idiot and will be on the block this week.
Old 08-21-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Eagle1
I am pretty sure they said last night that the jury gets to see edited tapes of the BB house. The diary room conversations and secret conversations are taken out.

Whoa, this is way too pinnochio for my taste. Those tapes can be edited to drastically swing a vote anyway the producers see fit.
Old 08-21-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
Whoa, this is way too pinnochio for my taste. Those tapes can be edited to drastically swing a vote anyway the producers see fit.
From what they said last night, I took it to mean they will only see the nomination ceremony, HOH competitions, POV competitions, POV meeting, and evictions. They could find out most of this from the newest arriving houseguest, so I don't think there giving away too much.
Old 08-21-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what is the big surprise? Wasn't it supposed to be revealed to the houseguests today?
Old 08-21-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by movieking
So what is the big surprise? Wasn't it supposed to be revealed to the houseguests today?
Spoiler:
Well, they made an offer to test their "character" in offering the VETO POWER and IMMUNITY (same thing really because if you have Veto you have immunity) however it puts the whole house on Peanut Butter and Jelly for the week.
I don't know complete details but Jee was the only one to take the offer. Very strange if you ask me, in that it only hurts him with the end game. He was HOH so had immunity anyway and does getting one specific person out really matter that badly?!
so now people are a bit pissed at him, and it doesn't help his "end game"
Old 08-21-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

.....must...not....read......

spoiler box is kryptonite.......getting....weaker
Old 08-21-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The twist is excellent!

This is the best possible thing that might flip Jee's nominations, and here's why:

Spoiler:

Since Jee has now made so many more enemies by subjecting the rest of the house to a week of PB&J, everyone has just about targetted him for eviction NEXT week. So, what Jee has to do is put up the 2 people who will most likely go after him. This slightly alters his current plan to just put up Erika and Jack, and to now consider Jun and Allison as well.

Jun was so upset about Jee being the only one to take BB up on their offer for POV (and good food for the week), that she practically blew their secret alliance by confronting him about it. Jee was getting all uncomfortable about Jun's reaction to the whole situation. Does Jee cut bait now with his Jun alliance, or does he just weather the storm?

BB told the houseguests that they have until midnight (I think) to eat up whatever is in the house before they go back on the PB&J diet, so Allison is woofing down food like a stuck pig near a frig.

Robert was also mad because as HOH, Jee didn't really need POV and was going to eat well just for being HOH. Robert expressed his displeasure (more discreetly) Jee, but he got over it.

Erika is besides herself because she felt really sick when she had to do PB&J for a week. Jack is probably loving the chaos this mixture of POV/Food competition wrought.

Last edited by Patman; 08-21-03 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 10:44 PM

Huh? Could you guys explain more what the offer was? I don't follow exactly what BB did to them.

Spoiler:
So anyone could've "taken" POV/Immunity but it meant everyone had to eat PBJ? I would think any of them would've taken it then as I know I would "sacrifice" eating PBJ for a week for $500K. I don't think I'm understanding what you guys said.
Old 08-21-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:

From what I've been able to glean from the live feed updates:

BB rolled the POV and the Food Competition in one offer of Immunity (POV) and good food for a week. Each houseguest was made the offer in secret (the Diary Room) one by one, and among those who accepted the offer, the winner would (presumably - details are sketchy) be picked from some random drawing. Well, it didn't come to that because only one person took the offer, it was Jee.

So now, the rest of the house must eat PB&J for a week (for not being the winner of this twisted competition), and this has really irritated all of the houseguests. They are all asking themselves why Jee would take the offer, was he so insecure in his upcoming nominations that he went for POV as well? Jee really did think other people would go for the offer. Jee was apologizing to everyone profusely, vowing to eat PB&J with the rest of them all week long as a show of solidarity. No one was really buying his apologies.
Old 08-21-03, 11:29 PM

Thanks Patman.

Spoiler:
Why in the hell didn't EVERYONE take it? Well, I can see why Jun wouldn't - she needs her food. But Jee sounds like the only smart one of the bunch for this. No one, except for Jee and Robert, are safe this week, so there is no excuse for Jack, Erika, Jun, and Ali to not take it. Jack and Erika must KNOW at least one of them is going up so it's a no-brainer to me.

Now that Justin is gone, I've lost a lot of interest in this game, particularly because none of the remaining guests deserves to win, IMO. Now I really want Jee to win as he deserves it especially because of this. This isn't a time to "take one for the team" as everyone but Jee thought they were doing. It's purely a numbers game at this point, and I think it'll be forgotten before the week is up. I don't think this changes his chances of being nominated next week - if Jack or Erika (and probably Ali, too) wins HOH, you know both Jee and Rob are going up anyways. Now Jee can nominate exactly who he wants with no fear of having to replace one of the nominees due to Veto power.

Dumb, dumb E, J, A, and Jun.
Old 08-21-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone suddenly feel like

Spoiler:
eating a PB&J?

Mmmmm.... I think I'll go have one right now!

Spoiler:
Made you look! Hahahaha
(sorry, i've always wanted to do that)
Old 08-22-03, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the twist as they said last season "SCANDALOUS"?

The evicted jury is allowed to watch without diary conversations. I'm sure they are cut off from watching previous episodes--those episodes that aired prior to their eviction. It would sway their votes if they heard all the nasty things they said about each other when their backs were turned.
Old 08-22-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is an article about the twist from canoe.ca (and it mentions the new nominees as well). SORRY ABOUT ALL THE BLACKNESS!

Spoiler:
The much-anticipated twist to the "Big Brother 4" game was revealed live on the Internet last night and immediately fans of the reality show began voicing their growing displeasure with CBS and the show's producers.

Spoiler:
The twist, which won't air on television until Saturday's broadcast, involved holding a special Veto Competition before this week's Head Of Household - Jee Choe, the 23-year-old bookkeeper and media student from New York - announced his nominations for eviction.

Spoiler:
According to the happenings on the 24/7 live Internet feeds, the Veto Competition consisted of an offer to each of the HouseGuests. The HouseGuests were given the opportunity to bid for the coveted Power of Veto. The bid was in the form of how many weeks they would be willing to inflict a peanut butter and jelly diet on the entire "Big Brother" house. The winner of the Power of Veto would be the one who bid the most weeks and also would not be forced to participate in the dreaded diet.

Spoiler:
Hoping to secure his upcoming nominations, Choe won the Veto Competition with a bid of one week. Nobody else claimed to have accepted the deal. Following the wheeling and dealing, Choe admitted to the other players that it was him who won the Power of Veto. He said that he did it because he thought the others were surely going to bid against him and promised to eat the diet as well.

Spoiler:
"I am truly sorry but I didn't want to inflict starvation upon anyone. It was a game decision. I am going to suffer with you guys. I am going to be a target and that is fine," Choe said to some of the other disgruntled HouseGuests as they sat on the backyard patio.

Choe took a different tone though when he was in the Head Of Household bedroom and alone his ex-girlfriend and alliance partner in the game, Jun Song. He apologized for his actions but stated that the other HouseGuests should just "shut their faces" and eat the peanut butter and jelly.

Spoiler:
"If people hate me, I don't care. It is a game," Choe coldly told Song.

Fans who have leveled harsh criticism at CBS and the show's producers Arnold Shapiro and Alison Grodner for the lack of big money prizes and imaginative surprises this year, were swift in condemning the "twist" as an absolute letdown.

Spoiler:
"CBS saved money on food and a POV comp. That's a twist?," wrote "csnet" at KeithX.com, a popular "Big Brother" chat forum. "PB and J? How about a B.S. sandwich for the producers of this Big Brother. This is the worst," wrote "stephnohio" on the same site.

On Joker'sUpdates.com, a disappointed fan named "deVinePoet" took the time to write an ode to the twist containing the lines...

Spoiler:
"Arnold it's time to give it up You're too old for this show Let someone with brainpower Give it some get up and go

The twist was lame, admit it Not worthy to be called cool You're giving 'net viewers nothing And you look like a fool."

Following the fallout of the Veto Competition, Choe nominated players Jack Owens and Erika Landin for eviction. One of them will be voted out of the house and join the rest of the "Big Brother" jury on next Wednesday's live eviction telecast.
Old 08-22-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who the f 'ck is Choe?
Old 08-22-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's Jee's last name.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.