Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Rumor: New animated Batman series on its way

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome news! I'm optimistic about this until I have reason not to be.

If they can successfully capture the Year One Batman, then this will be a great show.
Old 02-04-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Rino Romano...hmmm interesting.

Isn't the woman who does the voice casting for many many DC cartoons a Romano? I wonder if he's related to her? She also does extra voices.
Old 02-04-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
When people say it doesn't matter if anime is dubbed into English I always point out Conroy and how important voice actors are.

I agee 100%
Old 02-04-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In further news, Adam West has landed the role and already recorded some tracks as the mayor of Gotham City.

Oh and Toyfair has a sneak peek at the first images of how this Batman will look.

Look closely and you'll see a head shot of 'The Batman'.
Old 02-04-04, 08:48 AM

I always liked Batman with the short ears, as in the picture above.

I also acknowledge the importance of voice acting in an animated series. I don't, however, think Conroy is the ONLY person qualified to do the job.
Old 02-04-04, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
When people say it doesn't matter if anime is dubbed into English I always point out Conroy and how important voice actors are.
One thing has nothing to do with another. Glad you don't like dubs, but this is English to begin with.

I'm more offended by the idea that they're ruining the Batman mythos. Batman didn't start being Batman untill his late 20s, early 30s. He spends most of his late teens and 20s traveling the world, training. That's in all continuities.

How much younger are they going to make Batman? 19?
Old 02-04-04, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Eric F
I'm more offended by the idea that they're ruining the Batman mythos.
How so? Have you heard how young they are making Batman? No. So how can you be so quick to judge?
Old 02-04-04, 12:53 PM

The young Batman idea was scrapped, or so ToonZone and SuperHeroHype.com reported awhile back. It's back to just a fresh start on an adult Batman, ready to debut this fall. My guess would be with this, a special editon release of Batman (89) on DVD would all just serve as marketing hype for Nolan's 'Batman: Intimdation' .
Old 02-04-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Kevin Conroy has an autobiography coming out that may shed some light on why he isn't playing Batman.
Old 02-04-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One thing has nothing to do with another. Glad you don't like dubs, but this is English to begin with.
If you don't think a voice actor's (or any actor really) acting abilitys are as important as not having to read subtitles, then that's cool for you. I never said anything else, just that he's a good example as to why voice actors shouldn't just be brushed off.
Old 02-04-04, 09:11 PM

I am not so much worried about the voice actor (though Conroy is BATMAN and Hamill is Joker, in my opinion) as much as I am the animation. I'm really curious on what style of animation they plan on taking this series. It's got a completely new crew, which means probably some fresh style of animation.. Just as long as its nothing like MTV's Spiderman.
UGH!
Old 02-04-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Fresh" style of animation today means everything looks like Samuri Jack, half assed anime, or X-Men Evolution.
Old 02-05-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
If it looks like X-Men Evolution I am all over it.

I seriously doubted that show but now like it better than the Fox version.
Any Idea if it is returning or did the WB scrap another awesome cartoon series prematurely?

Are they EVER going to star releasing season sets of cartoons?
Old 02-05-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy Animated Box Sets Batman!

Just after posting that I found this. Box sets are coming!

January 19, 2004
The Website TvshowsonDVD.com has contacted Warner Brothers concerning the release of Batman: The Animated Series Box Sets, which were promised to fans at last year's San Diego ComicCon. Warners announced the release of a number of individual episodes on DVD this spring, and there was some worry that the box sets had been nixed, but TvshowsonDVD.com is reporting that the episodes of the Batman Animated series will be released in sequential order in box sets starting this summer. Although the box sets may not be differentiated by season, since the "first season" included 60 of the 85 episodes, the episodes will be packaged in sequential order and the Batman Animated box sets should find favor with collectors. Look for content, pricing, and release date information on ICv2.com as soon as it becomes available.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/4129.html

Sorry if this is old news but Yeahhhhh! I would start another thread but I think all the Bat fans are in here already.

But my question is will this include both B:TAS and Batman and Robin? Or are the rights split between Fox and WB?
Old 02-05-04, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If we lose Batman and Robin I would survive. The show took a dive then, containing some terrible terrible episodes... a shame it also contains some terrific ones and I can't write it all off.

But I'm sure it'll be fine, after all, Fox Kids and The WB were just the station that aired the show... just like how Fox is in charge of the Buffy DVDs, despite the fact the show aired on The WB and UPN.
Old 02-05-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But the show itself changed dramatically. And for the worse I might add. I hated the boy wonder. Although it was better than most of the shows out there. And a couple eps. were down right good.
Old 02-05-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Rino Romano...hmmm interesting.

Isn't the woman who does the voice casting for many many DC cartoons a Romano? I wonder if he's related to her? She also does extra voices.
You are thinking of Andrea Romano. I wouldnt be surprised if they were related.

However, if Warner Bros wanted Conroy, Im sure they would have overriden anything Andrea chose.
Old 02-10-04, 12:40 AM

According to the deal, Kids' WB! will air the half-hour show on Saturday mornings next fall, with Cartoon Network starting its run some six months later. The Batman looks at the hero in his mid-twenties, when he lives in a bachelor pad surrounded by hyper-modern Bat-gadgets and drives a souped-up Batmobile.

During the series, he'll meet each of the story's famed villains––Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, Riddler and Mr. Freeze––for the first time. U2's The Edge performs the show's theme song.

The Batman, an innovative, all-new animated television series based on the famed DC Comics super hero Batman, is being produced by Warner Bros. Animation for Kids' WB! and Cartoon Network, it was announced today by Sander Schwartz, President, Warner Bros. Animation; Paul Levitz, President and Publisher, DC Comics; John Hardman, Senior Vice President, Programming, Kids' WB!; and Sam Register, Senior Vice President of Original Animation, Cartoon Network.

The Batman will feature the most complex and intriguing character in comic book history in action-packed super-heroic adventures, melding the renowned character's extraordinary physical prowess and super-sleuthing skills with a new range of experimental Bat-gadgets and amped-up Batmobiles. This series picks up Batman's story in year three: in his mid-twenties, just finding his way as protector, defender and Caped Crusader, while balancing his public persona as billionaire bachelor Bruce Wayne. Accentuating the original take on the series, The Edge from multi-Grammy Award-winning sensation U2 will perform the series' theme song.

"Batman is one of animation's most recognizable and most popular characters," said Schwartz. "For decades, legions of fans throughout the world have enjoyed Batman comics, feature films, television series and made-for-video releases. The new series will continue this timeless tradition, while adding an exciting new interpretation that will appeal to current fans, as well as attract a whole new generation to the celebrated Batman franchise."

"'The Batman' is an important new addition to the Batman mythology, produced by our award-winning colleagues at Warner Bros. Animation," said Levitz. "We look forward to working with them to make it the new creative benchmark for adventure animation, just as 'The Adventures of Batman' set the tone for the field a decade ago."

Living in Gotham, a metropolis where shadows run long and deep, beneath elevated train tracks and within a 150-year-old drainage system, this younger Batman will confront updated takes of familiar foes -- meeting each member of his classic Rogue's Gallery for the first time. From the likes of Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Mr. Freeze, Riddler and Man-Bat, among others, the war on crime jumps to the next level with a new arsenal at the Dark Knight's disposal, all operated and linked by an advanced remote-controlled invention he dubs the "Bat-Wave."

"Batman has thrilled audiences for decades and we look forward to bringing a contemporary vision of this classic hero to a new generation," said Hardman. "Kids' WB! is eager to work with the Studio and help expand the scope of this timeless franchise."

"To me, this is a dream project. Batman is the ultimate action-adventure property, and I've been a fan all of my life," said Register. "The characters will remain true to their heritage, but we're going to deliver an action-adventure show that will feel so fresh and stylish that today's kids will love it as much as we all did growing up. I think this new Batman animated series will be a show that kids and their parents will watch together."

Winner of the "Comics Buyer's Guide" Favorite Character of the Century Award, Batman is one of the most memorable inventions in literature and continues to sustain his worldwide appeal, starring in numerous collected editions and special publications and appearing monthly in seven comic books. Created by Bob Kane, Batman made his comic book debut in "Detective Comics #27" in May 1939. Within a year, "Batman #1," the first comic book devoted exclusively to the Caped Crusader's adventures, hit newsstands. In this issue, he battled the Joker and Catwoman for the very first time. In 2003, the monthly comic book "Batman," written by fan favorite Jeph Loeb and superstar artist Jim Lee, was the number one comic book in North America. The graphic novels "The Dark Knight Returns," "Batman: Year One" and "Batman: The Long Halloween" are perennial industry bestsellers.

ARGHHH!

(1) A "bachelor pad surrounded by hyper-modern Bat-gadgets and drives a souped-up Batmobile"? No Wayne Manor? Multi-batmobiles (as noted in another quote) and tons of Bat-gadgets? This sounds just like a toy marketing scheme!!

(2) The animation! It looks almost like MTV's Spideman and god how I hate that.

(3) U2 is doing the theme song? What ever happened to a nice moody piece ala Batman (89) and Batman: TAS? Do we need U2 or Bono ? NO!

(4) A Bat-wave? What the hell is this non-sense?

(5) Meeting all his villians for the first time? WB has said before they would like this to form some sort of pre-continutation from Bruce Timm's Batman: TAS, but it can't if he is meeting villians such as Mr.Freeze and Man-Bat for the first time, due to the fact both they're orgins stories was done on Batman:TAS.

(6) The fact it is going to start off on Kids WB! worries me. Teen Titans (which I enjoy) , but I don't think a light-hearted approach would work for the Batman character.

(7) If you look closely at the bottom picture, you can see a hint of yellow, which would mean a large yellow bat-symbol ala the 60's show. Also the title / font seems a lot like the 60's show. With the talk of a ton of gadgets and these things, it makes me thing light-hearted and CAMPY. Not a good step for the Batman franchise.

So..dissapointing..

Last edited by LivingINClip; 02-10-04 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-10-04, 09:15 AM

Where are your quotes from? Might be nice to include the source.

Edit: After some digging, found the info here:

http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=811

Click there to see the pictures, too. Looks pretty cool to me.
Old 02-10-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

10 bucks says Bruce Wayne is a ricer in this! He probably also skateboards a lot, because it's sooo cool, the kids love it man.
Old 02-11-04, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by LivingINClip
If you look closely at the bottom picture, you can see a hint of yellow, which would mean a large yellow bat-symbol ala the 60's show.
Or the original Animated Series.

So far, nothing has convinced me that this is going to be a sell-out, tennie-bopper, campy show. I still have high hopes that it will be along the same vein as the original Animated Series. Artwork looks great so far.
Old 02-11-04, 11:17 AM

More news regarding voices:

http://www.superherohype.com/batman/index.php?id=823

Veteran voice actor Rino Romano ("Spider-Man Unlimited," "Batman Beyond") will provide the voice of Bruce Wayne. Former TV Batman Adam West will play Gotham's mayor, and Ming-Na ("ER") will voice a detective. Gina Gershon ("Prey for Rock & Roll") will play Catwoman, while fellow baddies Joker and Penguin will be voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson ("Like Family," "Static Shock") and Tom Kenny ("SpongeBob SquarePants").
Rino Romano's IMDB listing: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0738951/

Kevin Michael Richardson's: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0724656/

Tom Kenny's: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0448624/
Old 02-11-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll give a big thumbs up for Gina Gershon as Catwoman. Meow, indeed.
Old 02-11-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
since Hamill is not doing the Joker's voice, I've lost all hope. He and Conroy made the other series with their voices alone.
Old 02-11-04, 05:37 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by LivingINClip
ARGHHH!
So..dissapointing..
I saw that picture in this weeks TV guide - first thing I thought of was "DAMN, Bruce got beat up by an Ugly Stick!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.