Search this Thread

Old 06-06-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rumor: New animated Batman series on its way

http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin...4780516,47640,

New Batman Animated Series In The Works
Wednesday, June 4, 2003 9:35 CDT

A source tells us that WB is preparing for a brand new Batman animated series. It will be based on a young Batman and his early years as a superhero. Almost a Year One of sorts aimed at the young teens. The producers of Static Shock are developing this new series. More details to come.
Yes, news from "a source." Take it with a grain of salt. If true, though, it sounds promising. Can't get enough of animated Batman.
Old 06-06-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh...

I liked Batman Beyond, but a lot of it was aimed too young for me. The original Batman Animated didn't play down to the audiance... I wish TV producers would realise that kids don't like things because they're "Just For Kids!" Kids want to be adults, they like grown up action and story as long as it isn't totally boring them. So just make a smart show that's easy to understand, with PG rated violence, language and action.

I would like this show if it was like the flash backs in Mask of the Phantasm... but I have a feeling they'll make Bruce be like, 16 or some damn thing, oh, and a skateboarder! kids love that!
Old 06-06-03, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Noooo. It's one thing to do Batman Beyond, but to make Bruce Wayne Batman in his teens is sacrilege.
Old 06-06-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't mind seeing a Batman series that is expressly not "aimed at the young teens" but something for adults, chock full of darkness and bloody violence. Is it possible that would find an audience?

Honk!
Old 06-06-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
One question: Are Timm/Dini/Burnett involved?

If yes, than I'm game.
If not.....see you later.
Old 06-06-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
wholly crap! This is fantastic! Batman:TAS and Batman Beyond were my 2 favorite animated series ever!
Old 06-06-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Since Warner owns DC and HBO I wish they would do some "edgy" hero animated series a la "Spawn"
Old 06-06-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by clemente
One question: Are Timm/Dini/Burnett involved?

If yes, than I'm game.
If not.....see you later.
One of them has not been involved since Batman Beyond...Timm or Dini, I forget which one (I think Dini).

And for the person who said Batman Beyond was for kids...check out Return of the Joker (Unedited) and see if you still think it is for kids
Old 06-07-03, 01:39 AM
Cool New Member

Just face it. Nothing will ever ba as good as Timm/Dini Batman. That is the height of animated super heros.

Also, it will suck because of the lack of 2 other good people.

1. Kevin Conroy
2. Mark Hamill

They embody all that was right about the Timm/Dini Batman and will never be replaced.

For an example of an HBO Batman Bruce Timm series, go look for a comic called Batman: Black and White. I dug this out of my collection a few weeks ago and saw a short story in there involving Two-Face and him screwing twin sisters. And all this was using the Timm designs. Good stuff.
Old 06-07-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Why would they want a young Bruce Wayne when they're going to debut Teen Titans?
Old 06-07-03, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Why would they want a young Bruce Wayne when they're going to debut Teen Titans?

because that young girly Superman is so popular on the Dubya-B network
Old 06-07-03, 11:26 AM
Banned

There goes the whole Batman mythos. As I understand it, he was training/traveling the world for most of his teens and 20s. I don't even think he went to a regular school- Alfred home schooled him and he had tutors.
Old 06-07-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Eric F
There goes the whole Batman mythos. As I understand it, he was training/traveling the world for most of his teens and 20s. I don't even think he went to a regular school- Alfred home schooled him and he had tutors.
I think the mythos has taken its fair share of hits in the live action films....
Old 06-07-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And for the person who said Batman Beyond was for kids...check out Return of the Joker (Unedited) and see if you still think it is for kids
Yeah, I own it. I actually was one of the people leading the charge when it was first edited. I doubt those threads are around anymore... The fact that there has to be an unedited version out there is proof enough in what I said.

I never said it was "for kids" I said, and I quote: "I liked Batman Beyond, but a lot of it was aimed too young for me."

It was still a good show, but it was way obvious that there was a LOT of making it a little more kiddie every so often. The fact that the movie was totally edited to remove the world "kill" is proof of this.

It's not the violence I'm talking about though. You don't need that, espically in a show that is for kids to watch. What's often missing though is the smart story, the human drama, and real emotion. Instead they have corny one liners... As I said above, kids like good story telling, look at the original Batman Animated. It's not anymore violent then Batman Beyond, but it's a better show, because it's not dumbed down. The same thing happened to the Batman Animated show when it was changed to The Adventures of Batman and Robin on Fox Kids, and they had all these restrictions put on them...

If they had it set as Bruce in his early years as Batman it could work, the adult fans would like it, and kids would too if it was entertaining. But the people that own the rights don't seem to be able to make smart choices... take in mind the whole Return of the Joker fiasco. They pulled it off it's release date, lied about their reasons for doing it (saying they weren't editing it, while they were!) so bootlegs of the original cut ran rampent, sales for the cut version no doubt dropped, and the show ended up cancelled a few months later...

I don't want to judge this show yet, since they don't say it is a teenage batman or anything in that description... maybe it'll be very good. I don't have high hopes those since so much has been screwed up in the past.

Last edited by BizRodian; 06-07-03 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-08-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why can't WB just do the series like it should be. I'm tired of Young Superman in Smallville and I'm bored of batman beyond and Justice league. the old series was great. why can't they just do it like that again?
Old 06-08-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Justice League confuses the hell out of me. I like the Justice League... I do... but every time I've tuned into that show, the stories have been terrible...
Old 06-08-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
Justice League confuses the hell out of me. I like the Justice League... I do... but every time I've tuned into that show, the stories have been terrible...
I have to agree with you on this. I liked the first episode ever shown. Like...not loved, but liked. Saw the first month or so and thought, wow this is not good at all. Then tuned back in to watch "Injustice for All" that nailed it for me. This show stunk.
I hope things get better.
Old 06-08-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First "X-Men Babies" and now this....
Old 06-08-03, 09:14 PM
Banned

There are only a few good episodes of JL- the ones paying homage to the comics are the best by far- especially the one with Gorilla Grod. Otherwise there isn't much going for it. The animation is pretty poor and the stories aren't that great either. Can they make this a Martian Manhunter series and get rid of everyone else?

The way WB is going, I shudder to think how the Teen Titans series will turn out. When does it come on?
Old 06-09-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
JL is hit or miss, but I am still a loyal viewer.
Old 06-09-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd LIKE to be a loyal viewer... but I just can't keep it on. I keep telling myself "Hey, Batman is here! so is Superman! they'll do something cool soon, just wait! the other characters are all good as well! just wait!" then they go and behave stupidly...
Old 06-11-03, 03:39 PM

Ugh. Check out this latest rumor. Thankfully it is from the usually wrong Ain't-It-Cool-News (as reported by SuperHeroHype.com)

WB is going into production on a new BATMAN series. Sounds exciting, right? Not so fast. The series will be title BATMAN WIRED--the twist this time is that the caped crusader (I think from original series continuity) has donned a high-tech suit of armor. This is no hoax! They're doing this! Sounds like a crass ploy to sell more of those awful toys with Bats in various battle armors.
Why don't they just pick up where Batman Beyond left off?
Old 06-11-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a fan of the three cartoons, my only problem is that they went off the air too soon or in the case of JL there are enough "new" shows.

I can't see why anyone is more hyped about Dragonball more than Batman.
Old 06-12-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I am a fan of the three cartoons, my only problem is that they went off the air too soon or in the case of JL there are enough "new" shows.

I can't see why anyone is more hyped about Dragonball more than Batman.

A new JL 2 part episode ("Twilight") is coming on July 5 from 10-11.
Spoiler:
It features Darkseid. The Superman Animated Series episodes featuring Darkseid will precede it.

I think S2 of JL starts in the fall.
Old 08-15-03, 01:46 PM

Update, from SuperHeroHype.com:

Batman Wired Scrapped... Bring on The Batman!
Thursday, August 14, 2003 8:18 CDT

Superhero Hype! first reported in June that Warner Bros. was creating a brand new Batman animated series, which was to feature a young batman and his early years as a superhero. The series was to be titled Batman Wired and feature the caped crusader in a high-tech suit of armor.

Solid word has now reached us that the head of the Cartoon Network cancelled the idea. Instead they are now working on creating a show called The Batman, which will have a slighly older Batman but still take place in his earlier years as the hero.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.