Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 08-20-05, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we merge this thread with the episode thread already started? I don't want to see this closed, because the responses have been great.
Old 08-21-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I think comedians always are in a catch-22 when they go on these shows. For one thing everyone expects Chris Rock to be funny. So if he is too serious, and really speaks to the issues, he is not funny. If he tries to be funny, he has to crack a joke everytime, "The Outrageous Gas Prices," and then he can't be taken seriously.

To me, Chris Rock, really looked out of place, because Maher's show doesn't know exactly what to go for anymore. Is it a serious show, with good dialogue about the issues, or is it like it used to be, kind of tongue and cheek. Now I think it either gets too serious which is very informative, or they just feel the have to crack jokes and mock someone to keep it light, and then it gets ridiculous. I liked Mahers show on ABC when he had 4 guests and he could get a better cross-section of differing views.

P.S. New Rules still makes the show everyweek, that is one thing he shouldn't change.
Old 08-21-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I used to enjoy watching Bill Maher until he flipped his wig a few years ago and became the very thing that he used to make fun of...a left-wing kook. It wasn't so long ago that Maher expressed conservative viewpoints on a regular basis, often challenging the bleeding heart liberal 'Hollywood' types that would guest on his show, now he's become one of them...just another unreasonable showbiz kook.
Maher is on Bush's side in "staying the course." I wouldn't call that "kooky left wing." He's a guy that refreshingly says it like it is especially on his religion tirades.

Last edited by CRM114; 08-21-05 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-21-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
I used to enjoy watching Bill Maher until he flipped his wig a few years ago and became the very thing that he used to make fun of...a left-wing kook. It wasn't so long ago that Maher expressed conservative viewpoints on a regular basis, often challenging the bleeding heart liberal 'Hollywood' types that would guest on his show, now he's become one of them...just another unreasonable showbiz kook.
I don't think he's changed. He just doesn't agree with the war or how the President is handling it, and that's going to be the main topic every week until the war is over.

Maher is a vocal drug user, vegetarian, atheist and confirmed bachelor. He's not going to be on the side of most conservatives.
Old 08-21-05, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He does take some non-liberal stands on certain issues, on things like the death penalty and profiling terrorists. He also is not the most pro-feminist guy on the planet. I agree with him on most issues, but I do tend to take issue with some things he says about women.
Old 09-02-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Lame episode tonight. I like seeing a debate and there were virtually no differences of opinion among the panelists and in the interview segments.

Even the usually reliable "New Rules" wasn't all that funny.

Whenever I see Bradley Whitford, I can't stop thinking of "Business Ethics."
Old 09-03-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I can't believe people think Maher is annoying on this show. How can you not be annoying bringing up these kinds of issues from his pov?
Maher is annoying because of that smarmy attitude of his. The "I'm superior to you because I believe this way and you don't" tone of voice and look he gets. Even when I agree with him, I want to punch him in the face for being a condescending dickhead.

That's why Jon Stewart is making more money than Maher.... Stewart can present things in a self-depreciating way instead of a condescending way.
Old 09-03-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Even when I agree with him...
So it sounds like your point of view is mostly NOT agreeing with him. Thus, your reaction. I think the same of shills on the right. Its OK to admit it.
Old 09-03-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
So it sounds like your point of view is mostly NOT agreeing with him. Thus, your reaction. I think the same of shills on the right. Its OK to admit it.
Actually I agree with him much more often than not. But hey, thanks for showing that the people on the left can be assholes just as much as people on the right, as it confirms my belief that I shouldn't identify myself as a supporter of either side.
Old 09-03-05, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
He also is not the most pro-feminist guy on the planet. I agree with him on most issues, but I do tend to take issue with some things he says about women.
me too, as well as his attitude towards children - like they all have to be the spoiled, snotty brats that he's exposed to among his privileged friends.
Old 09-04-05, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lucasorion
me too, as well as his attitude towards children - like they all have to be the spoiled, snotty brats that he's exposed to among his privileged friends.
I know there are good kids out there, but most single men like Bill and I could give a shit about other people's kids. I feel there are enough people sticking up for "the kids", that it's a breath of fresh air to have someone like Bill who says what the minority in this country feels about them. I also agree with what Bill has said about europe treating people like adults instead of revolving everything around the children like a lot of places in america are doing.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 09-04-05 at 04:00 AM.
Old 09-04-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I've been watching Bill Maher's shows since he started doing PI, and I understand where some of the critical folks here are coming from. If you've seen enough of Maher, you start hearing all the same rants over and over again. Even if you agree with his viewpoint, it gets tiresome. You can pretty much see coming from a mile away when Maher will go into his "I'm tired of everything being for the children" or "The religious are all nuts" or "I hate obese people" spiels (and any number of other topics). I loved PI for the mix of guests -- some entertainment people, authors, politicians, educators, clergymen, having a mix of the political spectrum and getting into fun debates. The half hour show seemed too short. The debates on Real Time just aren't interesting me as much -- maybe the quality of guests has declined, there's too much similarity in opinions, or maybe I'm just tired of Maher and the whole format. And I do agree that the most annoying type of guest is the comedian who just waits for spots to slip in bits of his stand-up routine.
Old 09-05-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I know there are good kids out there, but most single men like Bill and I could give a shit about other people's kids. I feel there are enough people sticking up for "the kids", that it's a breath of fresh air to have someone like Bill who says what the minority in this country feels about them. I also agree with what Bill has said about europe treating people like adults instead of revolving everything around the children like a lot of places in america are doing.
I have a child and I agree with you.
Old 09-05-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maher is annoying because of that smarmy attitude of his. The "I'm superior to you because I believe this way and you don't" tone of voice and look he gets. Even when I agree with him, I want to punch him in the face for being a condescending dickhead.
That's exactly how I feel about Sean Hannity, except I have never in my life agreed with anything he has ever said.
Old 09-05-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
That's exactly how I feel about Sean Hannity, except I have never in my life agreed with anything he has ever said.
Maher can be annoying with his attitude but that's also part of his comedy style-whether you like it or not. He delivers his stand up with a lot of the same tone in his voice, which certainly can seem arrogant.

But he does have a sense of humor-even about himself-and he's not a threatening or mean guy. Bill will also look to protect a conservative if the panel is piling on or if the audience is getting too rough. Which is exactly the opposite of Sean.
Old 09-05-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brainee
I've been watching Bill Maher's shows since he started doing PI, and I understand where some of the critical folks here are coming from. If you've seen enough of Maher, you start hearing all the same rants over and over again. Even if you agree with his viewpoint, it gets tiresome. You can pretty much see coming from a mile away when Maher will go into his "I'm tired of everything being for the children" or "The religious are all nuts" or "I hate obese people" spiels (and any number of other topics). I loved PI for the mix of guests -- some entertainment people, authors, politicians, educators, clergymen, having a mix of the political spectrum and getting into fun debates. The half hour show seemed too short. The debates on Real Time just aren't interesting me as much -- maybe the quality of guests has declined, there's too much similarity in opinions, or maybe I'm just tired of Maher and the whole format. And I do agree that the most annoying type of guest is the comedian who just waits for spots to slip in bits of his stand-up routine.
The show probably could use a tune-up, but I've really been unhappy with his guests, both liberal and conservative. He could at least start with improving that part of the show and maybe doing something to make the debates not so much about the same things. Iraq and terrorism in general probably won't get a break, but he could certainly mix it up after that.

He needs to get Ann Coulter to come back on and make comments about how she's not so bad after you've boned her a couple of times.

Guests with a good sense of humor are welcome, but no more stand up comedians.
Old 09-05-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maher can be annoying with his attitude but that's also part of his comedy style-whether you like it or not. He delivers his stand up with a lot of the same tone in his voice, which certainly can seem arrogant.

But he does have a sense of humor-even about himself-and he's not a threatening or mean guy. Bill will also look to protect a conservative if the panel is piling on or if the audience is getting too rough. Which is exactly the opposite of Sean.
I think that you've pegged Maher and Hannity pretty well. I'm liberal, but I have a lot of things that I disagree with Maher on (he's pretty libertarian). However, I don't think there's a thing I have ever agreed with Hannity on.

Maher isn't a pure liberal but Hannity is certainly far right on all issues. Maher will also say when he was wrong and when his opinion has changed. I think Hannity's ego is way to large to ever rethink any of his opinions, let alone believe he was wrong.

Ultimately, I think the thing with Maher's popularity is that he loses people on both sides. Conservatives don't really like him across the board. Then he loses a lot of other people because of his ego.
Old 09-05-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Alyoshka
I think that you've pegged Maher and Hannity pretty well. I'm liberal, but I have a lot of things that I disagree with Maher on (he's pretty libertarian). However, I don't think there's a thing I have ever agreed with Hannity on.

Maher isn't a pure liberal but Hannity is certainly far right on all issues. Maher will also say when he was wrong and when his opinion has changed. I think Hannity's ego is way to large to ever rethink any of his opinions, let alone believe he was wrong.

Ultimately, I think the thing with Maher's popularity is that he loses people on both sides. Conservatives don't really like him across the board. Then he loses a lot of other people because of his ego.
I also really think that Bill believes in what he says, while Hannity has just found a niche where he could exploit people and make a lot of money.
Old 09-05-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But hey, thanks for showing that the people on the left can be assholes just as much as people on the right, as it confirms my belief that I shouldn't identify myself as a supporter of either side.
This is bordering on a personal attack here, which is against forum rules. Please do not single out another member for name-calling.
Old 09-05-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
The guests really suck on RT now...I rarely find them interesting, and Maher resorts to the 'easy' applause (by shouting a ststement the audience obviously agrees with) rather than the 'hard' applause, by saying something genuinly funny.
Old 09-06-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
The guests really suck on RT now...I rarely find them interesting, and Maher resorts to the 'easy' applause (by shouting a ststement the audience obviously agrees with) rather than the 'hard' applause, by saying something genuinly funny.
You are so right. When PI started it was actually pretty good, a decent mix of an every-man debate and humor. But it got away from that more and more and viewing audience deserted until it was finally cancelled. Now it's comprised only of the worst aspects of the original PI show. 90% of it is Maher shouting people down who disagree with him, and he and most of his guests throwing around simple minded applause lines to an overwhelmingly liberal audience. It's an embarrassment compared to where it started.
Old 09-06-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
90% of it is Maher shouting people down who disagree with him, .
Your math needs some work.

Also Bill hardly "yells" the way, say, you hear O'Reilly yell or with the mean spiritedness of Hannity telling his liberal "guests" how vile and ignorant they are.
Old 09-06-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Your math needs some work.
"...and he and most of his guests throwing around simple minded applause lines to an overwhelmingly liberal audience."

Through selective editing, all things are possible.
Old 09-06-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
"...and he and most of his guests throwing around simple minded applause lines to an overwhelmingly liberal audience."

Through selective editing, all things are possible.
If you take new rules, the interview he does at the beginning, the bit he usually does with, for example, "funny" headlines of books Bush might read (if he ever read), and the interview he does when the panel is already out, you would be hard pressed to say 90% of the show is what you claim it is.

Well, you wouldn't be hard pressed, a more reasonable person would.

So, how is the math coming?

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-06-05 at 01:56 AM.
Old 09-06-05, 02:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Well, you wouldn't be hard pressed, a more reasonable person would.

So, how is the math coming?

You might want to mind Jadzia's comment too...

This is bordering on a personal attack here, which is against forum rules. Please do not single out another member for name-calling.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.