Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Show returns tomorrow night with Ron Desantis
I can't wait to watch Maher give him a ten-minute handjob!

Old 09-28-23, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Thats only true if i’m arguing that Maher made up the fact that they were close to a deal. I assume he had some inside knowledge that they were close to a deal and then used that as the excuse to hold off on the triumphant return of Real Time despite it not being the real reason he changed his mind.
But since you are not Bill Maher, nor do you have intimate knowledge of his thinking, you are only supposing what the real reason he changed his mind was, based on your poor opinion of him.

I have not commented on this before, but it does not make sense to believe that Maher changed his plans due to the criticism he received. He was critical of the WGA strike in 2007, and he has been critical of this strike. He's not an idiot. He knew what people would say about his producing a show without writers. Letterman, Leno, and Conan O'Brien all produced writer-less shows in 2008 during the WGA strike. Why would people criticizing him in exactly the way he knew he would be criticized affect him? And since when does Maher care so much about criticism at all?
Old 09-28-23, 07:26 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

MOD NOTE

Please keep the political discussions civil. If you'd like to get more heated, you should take it over to the Religion, Politics and World Events section. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Goldberg74 (09-29-23)
Old 09-28-23, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can't wait to watch Maher give him a ten-minute handjob!
Yeah, unfortunately I'm expecting a bunch of agreeing on being "anti-woke."

"You can't tell jokes any more because of Millenials and Gen Z! Wahhhhhh!"
Spiderbite (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The last time the show aired a new episode, it had a super high profile and controversial guest, and generated 6 posts. Just sayin'
And? So you feel the need to fill this thread because you think it's too inactive? It's weird enough that you even come back time and time again when you hate everything about the show, the guests and the panel with such passion, but this takes the cake, man.
Old 09-29-23, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Bill is back tonight. 10 pm eastern and streaming on Max.

I am just glad to have a show back. This is the only one I never miss.

The last Bill show I missed was before the 9/11 thing on Politically Incorrect.

And he is still the same old Bill he always was, just Older, Whiter and Crankier than ever. 😉

Nothing beats Bill Maher drinking hard liquor and smoking tons of weed with celebrities on Club Random though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Throwing Copper:
cultshock (09-29-23), PerryD (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
MOD NOTE

Please keep the political discussions civil. If you'd like to get more heated, you should take it over to the Religion, Politics and World Events section. Thank you.
Yeah, I was surprised on how heated things were getting about Maher. If you don't like him you don't have to watch (or hate watch), he's not for everyone.
Kurt D (09-29-23)
Old 09-29-23, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock
Yeah, I was surprised on how heated things were getting about Maher. If you don't like him you don't have to watch (or hate watch), he's not for everyone.
I think some of his former fans feel betrayed.
Old 09-29-23, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Yeah, I don't doubt that. I don't agree with everything he says, but I still enjoy watching the show.
Old 09-29-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

At least personally i’ve never been a fan of Maher’s politics and don’t find him funny at all but he gets good guests. When I have HBO I watch him but he’s not a reason I ever order HBO.
Old 11-18-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know a lot of people are down on Maher, but Albert Brooks!

Nesbit (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I love Seth MacFarlane handing Bill his ass. And Maher says so many ignorant things here.

Nesbit (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 01:14 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I love Seth MacFarlane handing Bill his ass. And Maher says so many ignorant things here.
You believe that 1900 kids died from COVID?
Old 01-03-24, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 252 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Based on Unicefs numbers that’d actually be very low compared to the rest of the world. They estimate that 0.4% of covid deaths are minors. Given the US death toll of 1.1 million deaths 0.4% would be 4400 minors.

Now I don’t live and die by Unicefs numbers, they were just the first google search. If you don’t believe that 1900 children died from covid in the us please provide your source and we can look at those numbers and the % that are minors and work from there.

Also on a side note they mentioned it in the clip above - if you haven’t seen Richard Dreyfus on after hours it really does need to be seen. Dreyfus melting into his chair is like absurdist performance art.
Daytripper (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 02:50 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

The numbers I've seen are so low as to be mathematical noise, but sure, certainly as time goes on, the number will go up. But in the list of risks, heart disease is higher, cancer is much higher, drownings 5x to 10x?, accidental suffocation, etc. The numbers from COVID align closer to kids that die from pneumonia, or the ballpark of other respiratory illnesses, since ultimately, most of those children already had severe health/life limiting issues that made them susceptible to dying from a respiratory illness event (much like the 85 year olds near end of their life). To attach the COVID brand to one of them as a marker of the dangers of COVID is misleading. They use a raw number like 1300 since it sounds like a lot rather than the fact that COVID only contributed to 2% of all childhood deaths, and of course, the overall chance of a child dying is already an extremely low value. And if you started with the assumption that your child is healthy, then the risk is zero or as mathematically close to zero as getting struck by lightning on a clear day, especially compared to much more dangerous environments like riding a bike, swimming at the local pool, or even playing at a playground.

But yeah, I don't mind what Seth said overall, the vaccine injury risk is very low and the vaccine does show benefit, especially for those over 50. But to play up any risk for young people (under 30) is creating this environment of distrust. I probably shouldn't have responded, but I watched that video and to me it was just a couple people debating the issue, I didn't feel like Seth was owning Maher or whatever, but that's one thing I like about Bill's show and podcast is the open bantering about topics (although I couldn't get far in the Roseanne Barr one, she's nuts)
Old 01-03-24, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I can't find numbers but I think that sounds possible. But more importantly, we should look at rates of hospitalizations and ICU admissions, because we vaccinate children to avoid serious illnesses, not just deaths. Chicken Pox killed less than 100 children a year, but nobody had any issue with giving the shots to 12 month olds, nor in making that shot mandatory for schools -- and it worked; I haven't seen wild type varicella in over a decade.

Here's an article showing the increased hospitalization rate of children in low-vaccination states.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...cases-icu.html