Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 12-29-11, 07:14 AM
  #901  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Bill Maher even made fun of Tebow a few years ago when Tebow was still playing at the University of Florida and was painting Biblical chapters & verses in his eye black every week. Maher tweeted something like he was going to write "Satan 666" in his eye black in response.

And all Bill Maher is doing (and SNL too, for that matter) is making fun of the common thing in sports where players will thank God for when they win, but will just blame themselves for when they lose. How come God abandoned them on those weeks? Why isn't it God's fault, or even Satan's fault, in those games?

Comedian Jeff Stilson made fun of this years ago ( see clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzfnUVmHMFY ) so Bill Maher is just doing a variation of this common comedian joke about this same basic thing.
Old 12-29-11, 08:49 AM
  #902  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
mwbmis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Land of Lincoln
Posts: 6,985
Received 191 Likes on 153 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Lance Berkman told a funny story about religion and sports and the 2005 NLCS game 5 (the Pujols homer) at the Missouri Athletic Club (Jack Buck awards) dinner earlier this month.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/12/...ards-ceremony/
Old 12-29-11, 09:16 AM
  #903  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Just because a porn star or prostitute makes good money at their chosen field of work doesn't mean that they get a free moral pass from family & friends.
Well they do from me. As far as I am concerned they are doing the lord's work.
Old 12-29-11, 11:29 AM
  #904  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 7,071
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by creekdipper
What makes Maher look like a bitter little coward is that he said similar things after Tebow lost his second game after replacing Orton but remained predictably silent during the Broncos' six-game win streak with Tebow as QB.
The joke doesn't really work if Tebow is winning, now does it?

And what does it say about a grown man who spends his time "tweeting"?
I don't know. Is Tim Tebow a grown man? @TimTebow
Old 12-29-11, 11:36 AM
  #905  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 18,355
Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

I seriously doubt HBO is going to have many subscribers that are offended by Bill Maher's comments. If they were offended by edgy material, they wouldn't have HBO in the first place (for example, by parents are devout Christians and see HBO as The Devil's Playpen).
Old 12-29-11, 12:17 PM
  #906  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

I have no problems with Tim Tebow's religious demonstrations and statements. The NFL is full of people who are very religious. Don't know why Tebow is singled out by the masses. Comedians, yes. He is pretty funny.

What makes Maher look like a bitter little coward is that he said similar things after Tebow lost his second game after replacing Orton but remained predictably silent during the Broncos' six-game win streak with Tebow as QB.
That's because the delusion that he is winning (or losing) because of his devotion to Jesus Christ is equally absurd and comical. The punchline only works comedically when he loses. Surely you don't believe Tebow's success is divinely created?

And what does it say about a grown man who spends his time "tweeting"?
Seriously?

Last edited by CRM114; 12-29-11 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-29-11, 04:20 PM
  #907  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by mcnabb
His HBO show is just another infommercial for Obama and the democrats. (To me its no better then FOX News or MSNBC as they play to their political bases too.) His whole monologue is against the republicans, and his political views have gone way to the left in the past 10 years. And every show he says the same recycled jokes about Sarah Palin being an idiot and religion sucks. I actually agree with him that Sarah Palin is an idiot, and the religious nuts in this country are hypocrites sometimes, but he says the same lame jokes every show! We get it, you hate Sarah Palin and Religion!
If you stopped watching his show several years ago how do you know any of this?
Old 12-30-11, 06:54 AM
  #908  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
If you stopped watching his show several years ago how do you know any of this?
Because I have liberal friends who still watch the show on a regular basis, so I will ask them from time to time, "Is he still doing the Sarah Palin is an idiot jokes?" They enjoy that Maher rails on the republicans for 60 minutes.

Thats the problem with all these shows including Jon Stewart as that they have slanted so far to either the right or left in the last 5 years, they are unwatchable. Just look at FOX and MSNBC and how Fox caters to the right and MSNBC caters to the left, it is ridiculous. But there is an audience out there who loves the 'preach to the choir' shows, and Maher has turned into one of these shows in the past few years. Hannity, Maddow, Ed Schultz, Beck, Limbaugh, and the comedy shows like Stewart, Maher, etc are all the same shit.
Old 12-30-11, 08:59 AM
  #909  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,149
Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

I like Tim Tebow and Bill Maher.


That Tribune link is dead. What was the actual Tweet that Maher said??

edit: I found it. I thought it was a pretty good joke. I can see how the religious right would be offended after reading this:

Wow, Jesus just fucked #TimTebow bad! And on Xmas Eve! Somewhere in hell Satan is tebowing, saying to Hitler "Hey, Buffalo's killing them"
Old 12-30-11, 11:27 AM
  #910  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Traxan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Maher is a troll, nothing more.

Old 12-30-11, 12:06 PM
  #911  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,149
Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Traxan
Maher is a troll, nothing more.

That's absolutely not true, but you're entitled to believe whatever you want.

He's been a big opponent of organized religion for a long, long time.
Old 12-30-11, 12:38 PM
  #912  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Because I have liberal friends who still watch the show on a regular basis, so I will ask them from time to time, "Is he still doing the Sarah Palin is an idiot jokes?" They enjoy that Maher rails on the republicans for 60 minutes.

Thats the problem with all these shows including Jon Stewart as that they have slanted so far to either the right or left in the last 5 years, they are unwatchable. Just look at FOX and MSNBC and how Fox caters to the right and MSNBC caters to the left, it is ridiculous. But there is an audience out there who loves the 'preach to the choir' shows, and Maher has turned into one of these shows in the past few years. Hannity, Maddow, Ed Schultz, Beck, Limbaugh, and the comedy shows like Stewart, Maher, etc are all the same shit.
Well I just watched a Real Time with Bill MAher from 2003 since HBO has the 12th episode from this show on ondemand for time warner cable and it seemed the same Bill MAher we have now. Making fun of Republicans for all the country's problems (which I agree with) and the democrats for having no balls at all (also agree with) and he also rails against religion (ditto).

Can't really understand all this Bill Maher is now way more of a democrat talk ...(He always seemed like a libertarian to me in most ways)
Old 12-30-11, 02:43 PM
  #913  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Simply watching Bill Maher's stand-up specials over the past decade or so shows that the claim that he has "changed" and veered towards the left is complete bunk. I rented all of these from NetFlix in the past 2 years and he's very consistent in his political views over this time (and the 1st one is from back when Bill Clinton was still president).

Bill Maher: Be More Cynical (2000)

Bill Maher: Victory Begins at Home (2003)

Bill Maher: I'm Swiss (2005)

Bill Maher: The Decider (2007)

Bill Maher...But I'm Not Wrong (2010)
Old 12-30-11, 03:46 PM
  #914  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by crazychris88
Well I just watched a Real Time with Bill MAher from 2003 since HBO has the 12th episode from this show on ondemand for time warner cable and it seemed the same Bill MAher we have now. Making fun of Republicans for all the country's problems (which I agree with) and the democrats for having no balls at all (also agree with) and he also rails against religion (ditto).

Can't really understand all this Bill Maher is now way more of a democrat talk ...(He always seemed like a libertarian to me in most ways)
I will give an example of how Maher has become a democratic lacky since Obama has been elected:

I remember during the 2000 Democrat and Republican Conventions he railed that the poll numbers moved for both Gore and Bush after their speeches. I remember his exact words, "The sad thing is this shit actually works on people!" Which I totally agreed with him that Republican and Democrat Conventions are total infommercials and the sad thing is they actually sway people with their vote.

Fast Forward to 2008 on HBO and he was fawning over Obama's speech at the Dem 2008 Convention, to the point where he was smitten with his words sort of like Chris Matthews got a tingle up his leg when Obama spoke.

I wanted to say to Bill, "The sad thing is this shit actually works on people.....like you Bill!"
Old 12-30-11, 04:46 PM
  #915  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,149
Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I will give an example of how Maher has become a democratic lacky since Obama has been elected:

I remember during the 2000 Democrat and Republican Conventions he railed that the poll numbers moved for both Gore and Bush after their speeches. I remember his exact words, "The sad thing is this shit actually works on people!" Which I totally agreed with him that Republican and Democrat Conventions are total infommercials and the sad thing is they actually sway people with their vote.

Fast Forward to 2008 on HBO and he was fawning over Obama's speech at the Dem 2008 Convention, to the point where he was smitten with his words sort of like Chris Matthews got a tingle up his leg when Obama spoke.

I wanted to say to Bill, "The sad thing is this shit actually works on people.....like you Bill!"

He was happy that a black man got elected president in this country.....the same as a lot of people were.

Whether Obama is/was qualified or not doesn't make much difference. It was a big deal to a lot of people.
Old 12-31-11, 06:29 AM
  #916  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Maher is an assclown. That is all.
Old 12-31-11, 06:30 AM
  #917  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by throwing copper

whether obama is/was qualified or not doesn't make much difference.
wtf?
Old 12-31-11, 12:45 PM
  #918  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,149
Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Maher is an assclown. That is all.
wtf?
Old 12-31-11, 01:26 PM
  #919  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
wtf?
Yeah he's an assclown but do you really believe that it doesn't matter if Obama is/was qualified to be president? That's insane. So we should just roll any old black guy out there? Well...he's only half black. Does it matter if he can read or write? Do you feel the same way about a Hispanic president? Now bout an Asian president? Or a woman? Would you say it doesn't matter if Palin was qualified to be president just because many people would be happy that a woman was elected?
Old 12-31-11, 01:46 PM
  #920  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
dhmac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 7,422
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I will give an example of how Maher has become a democratic lacky since Obama has been elected:

I remember during the 2000 Democrat and Republican Conventions he railed that the poll numbers moved for both Gore and Bush after their speeches. I remember his exact words, "The sad thing is this shit actually works on people!" Which I totally agreed with him that Republican and Democrat Conventions are total infommercials and the sad thing is they actually sway people with their vote.

Fast Forward to 2008 on HBO and he was fawning over Obama's speech at the Dem 2008 Convention, to the point where he was smitten with his words sort of like Chris Matthews got a tingle up his leg when Obama spoke.

I wanted to say to Bill, "The sad thing is this shit actually works on people.....like you Bill!"
While it's true that Bill Maher thinks Obama is sometimes a great orator and will praise a speech by him at times, he has been anything but fawning over Obama ever since he took office. (You would know this if you actually watched his show.) Heck, Maher has even said that he now thinks Hillary Clinton would've been a better choice for president in hindsight. Not exactly something an Obama "rah rah cheerleader" would say, as you are basically claiming Bill Maher is.

About only thing that can be said now about Maher's support of Obama is that he still supports Obama primarily because he thinks the Republican side has taken a fast train to crazy town, as represented by the Tea Party and most of the current Republican presidential candidates.
Old 12-31-11, 04:15 PM
  #921  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 14,169
Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by dhmac
While it's true that Bill Maher thinks Obama is sometimes a great orator and will praise a speech by him at times, he has been anything but fawning over Obama ever since he took office. (You would know this if you actually watched his show.) Heck, Maher has even said that he now thinks Hillary Clinton would've been a better choice for president in hindsight. Not exactly something an Obama "rah rah cheerleader" would say, as you are basically claiming Bill Maher is.
Easy for him to say in hinsight now that it is hard to imagine how she could have done any worse. What he will never say, however, is that a republican would have been a better choice. That's what makes him a one note cheerleader.
Old 12-31-11, 04:53 PM
  #922  
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 266
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

He would never say that because that is the most ridiculous statement one could make.
Old 12-31-11, 04:56 PM
  #923  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by dhmac
About only thing that can be said now about Maher's support of Obama is that he still supports Obama primarily because he thinks the Republican side has taken a fast train to crazy town, as represented by the Tea Party and most of the current Republican presidential candidates.
This is a pretty good assessment.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Easy for him to say in hinsight now that it is hard to imagine how she could have done any worse. What he will never say, however, is that a republican would have been a better choice. That's what makes him a one note cheerleader.
Know any self-proclaimed Republicans that would say a Democratic candidate would've done better than Bush? Everyone has biases, that's a fact in life. It's much better for a person to tell them upfront instead of not saying anything and just spewing their own views on you.
Old 12-31-11, 06:01 PM
  #924  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Know any self-proclaimed Republicans that would say a Democratic candidate would've done better than Bush? Everyone has biases, that's a fact in life. It's much better for a person to tell them upfront instead of not saying anything and just spewing their own views on you.
I am a republican (simply because I agree with them on economic issues and thats how I vote, but agree with democrats on social issues), but I think Bill Clinton was a much better President then George W Bush.

I think George W Bush will go down as one of our worst presidents, along with Jimmy Carter, and Obama is on his way to making that list too, as he has been terrible too.

Say what you want about Clinton's extracurricular activity in the Oval Office(which I never agreed with my fellow Republicans who were obsessed with impeaching him on anything) , the guy got things done with a republican congress after the 1994 elections (unlike this current President), and left office with a balance budget.
Old 12-31-11, 06:09 PM
  #925  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (2012)

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am a republican (simply because I agree with them on economic issues and thats how I vote, but agree with democrats on social issues), but I think Bill Clinton was a much better President then George W Bush.
I can't imagine any sane person would disagree with this. I'm a lifelong republican but I think Clinton was one of the best presidents we've ever had. W was not a good president but far from the worst in my opinion. Same with Obama.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.