Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Old 07-23-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 898 Posts
Re: Real Time With Bill Maher (HBO) - Season 12 Thread

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Yet Dems do this with things like the Hobby Lobby case, where they try to say that the courts are taking away their access to contraceptives when in fact, it does no such thing.
Neither side is perfect all the time but to me it doesn't seem like the Democrats have quite as many on their side who seem completely batshit like the Republicans do.
Old 07-23-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
And the democrats didn't blame Bush 43 for EVERYTHING that went wrong in his 8 years???

Both sides do this, as whoever is out of the white house has a witch hunt against the President.
There you go with the FALSE equivalency! Sure, many Dems did that to W, but not nearly to the same level that the GOP are doing to Obama, not even close.

It's like equating someone who lights a match with an arsonist who burns down a house. Sure, they're both lighting fires, but one's a lot more extreme than the other, and equating them is plain lunacy.
Old 07-23-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 937 Likes on 713 Posts

I don't like how Maher equates all problems to drug laws. He was recently discussing the border situation, and literally said it would all go away (the cartels and violence) if we just decriminalized all drugs. I wish I could ask him if he thinks that if drugs were decriminalized, then the cartels would all go get day jobs? They'll just find some other illegal and violent criminal activity to participate in.
Old 07-23-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I don't like how Maher equates all problems to drug laws. He was recently discussing the border situation, and literally said it would all go away (the cartels and violence) if we just decriminalized all drugs. I wish I could ask him if he thinks that if drugs were decriminalized, then the cartels would all go get day jobs? They'll just find some other illegal and violent criminal activity to participate in.
Shhh.
Old 07-23-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I think we have a tie for the most incompetent President of modern times between Bush 43 and Obama.

It didn't matter what the Republicans thought of Obamacare, as the Democrats had a Fillibuster Proof Senate with 60 Senators, and a majority in the House. The republicans were irrelevant in the government in Obama's first 2 years.

And only the crazies in Obama's party wanted a Single Payer System like Bernie Sanders, Jim McDermott, and pundits like Bill Maher too. Of course there are more progressives that supported single payer, but I can think of them off the top of my head, but trust me there are just as many crazies on the left as there are on the right!

Yet Obama picked Joe Biden as his VP, who ALSO voted for the War?? Obama beat Hillary because the democrats had a chance to elect the first black president and also personality wins in Politics these days. Look at the last 30 years of Presidential Elections, the candidate with more likeability and more personality ALWAYS wins.
It's impossible to take seriously anybody who compares Bush Jr, who never met a sentence he didn't mangle, to Obama. Besides, the main goal of the Republican Party, as stated by their leader in the Senate, was always to defeat Obama. Not to pass legislation to help make the country better...nope.

Only the crazies wanted single payer? That's so laughable, I actually can't laugh. You can call the Dems pu**ies for not fighting for it and you'd be right, but the mainstream position in liberal and Democratic circles was always for single payer or something like it. You can disagree with positions, but you can't make up your own version of the truth.

The female electorate is huge and often the deciding factor in many elections now and especially in Presidential elections. The desire for a female President was even stronger than for an African American. The vote for the war was a fatal flaw Hillary couldn't overcome (Did Biden need to win a primary to get the VP nom? No, didn't think so). But, of course, you missed the point. She voted for something a Republican President wanted.

Hmm, how often has that happened in the last 6 years with the Republicans voting for ANYTHING Obama wants? Republicans can't and won't even vote for infrastructure bills, a cause Republicans used to champion.

There's never been anything like this before. As Maher has said, "I wonder if it has anything to do with the color of his skin."

Bush Jr. didn't get a ton of liberal support, but FAR more cooperation than Obama has gotten. And that's saying something.
Old 07-23-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Poll numbers:

6 years in, 13% of Republicans want Obama to succeed.

6 years into Bush Jr's term (no WMDs by now), 40% of Dems wanted Bush to succeed. This is a Fox News poll. M

Yes, there is no difference at all. Everything is the same with each party and each President.
Old 07-24-14, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Poll numbers:

6 years in, 13% of Republicans want Obama to succeed.

6 years into Bush Jr's term (no WMDs by now), 40% of Dems wanted Bush to succeed. This is a Fox News poll. M

There is nothing funnier then a person who rails against Fox News, but then uses one of their polls to make his point. I don't watch Fox News, so I honestly could care less about their unscientific polls.

But this back and forth between you and I is the reason I don't watch FOX or MSNBC anymore, along with arguing politics with partisans like yourself.

You have pretty much towed the party line with the Democrats on EVERY argument you have made. You could have saved yourself alot of time in last 2 posts and just said: Republican Bad, Democrats Good!

I actually agree with alot of your points that I think the Republicans do have a vendetta against Obama and are blocking alot of things this congress. But in the same respect, I don't think Obama has wanted to work with the Republicans on many issues either, as he has the same 'take it or leave it' attitude with them. That is why I say that Obama has been one of the worst Presidents in the modern era (Along with Bush 43), and I will also say that Democrat Senate/Republican House has been one of the worst congresses in modern era too. Clinton and the Republicans made it work in the 90's, I don't see why Obama and the Republicans can't swallow their ego and do the same?

That is the difference between you and I in this converstation is that I will criticize BOTH republicans and democrats on any issue I see fit, where you consistently give me the democrat party line that EVERYTHING republicans do are bad.

Enjoy living in your bubble world where the Democrats do no wrong!
Old 07-24-14, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is nothing funnier then a person who rails against Fox News, but then uses one of their polls to make his point. I don't watch Fox News, so I honestly could care less about their unscientific polls.

But this back and forth between you and I is the reason I don't watch FOX or MSNBC anymore, along with arguing politics with partisans like yourself.

You have pretty much towed the party line with the Democrats on EVERY argument you have made. You could have saved yourself alot of time in last 2 posts and just said: Republican Bad, Democrats Good!

I actually agree with alot of your points that I think the Republicans do have a vendetta against Obama and are blocking alot of things this congress. But in the same respect, I don't think Obama has wanted to work with the Republicans on many issues either, as he has the same 'take it or leave it' attitude with them. That is why I say that Obama has been one of the worst Presidents in the modern era (Along with Bush 43), and I will also say that Democrat Senate/Republican House has been one of the worst congresses in modern era too. Clinton and the Republicans made it work in the 90's, I don't see why Obama and the Republicans can't swallow their ego and do the same?

That is the difference between you and I in this converstation is that I will criticize BOTH republicans and democrats on any issue I see fit, where you consistently give me the democrat party line that EVERYTHING republicans do are bad.

Enjoy living in your bubble world where the Democrats do no wrong!
You just criticized the hell out of me personally and made ridiculous leaps of logic about what you think I'm like and how much better you are, yet somehow you still feel the need to make claims that I'm the hyper partisan one between us.

That's fine. I don't even take personal attacks personally. You're way off base but that's really not my problem. My arguments in this thread have actually been quite narrow in scope and mostly to continue to push back against the false equivalency thing that conservatives have down so well. It's garbage and should be labeled as such. I've made multiple negative comments about Democrats but you just fail
To see anything you don't want to see.

And, again, that's fine by me. The world isn't going to be changed in a Real Time with Bill Maher thread.

PS-what actually is funny, is that if I had used an MSNBC poll, you would have criticized me even more for being in my bubble.
Old 07-24-14, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You just criticized the hell out of me personally and made ridiculous leaps of logic about what you think I'm like and how much better you are, yet somehow you still feel the need to make claims that I'm the hyper partisan one between us.
How can I be the hyper partisan one when I just stated that the 2 worst Presidents in modern era were Bush43 and Obama. 1 is a Democrat and 1 is republican?

I will also say that I think Clinton was one of our better Presidents of the modern era because he had executive experience as Governor of Arkansas for 12 years, so is that partisan too, ?

That's fine. I don't even take personal attacks personally. You're way off base but that's really not my problem.
I asked you earlier what politics show you watch, and you never answered. What political shows a person watches, or what blogs they read everyday can tell me if you are a partisan or not.

My arguments in this thread have actually been quite narrow in scope and mostly to continue to push back against the false equivalency thing that conservatives have down so well. It's garbage and should be labeled as such. I've made multiple negative comments about Democrats but you just fail
To see anything you don't want to see.
If you read my answer from my last post, I agree with you that Republicans have it out for Obama, and I think they are hesitant to compromise. I also asked you a question which you never answered, "Do you believe that Obama is stubborn too and won't compromise on many issues, so that creates even worse of a stalemate?"

I personally believe our politics is poison these days, and alot of it has to do with the Red State vs Blue State problem in our country that started after the 2000 election. And the other problem is gerrymandering of safe house districts that the Democrats and Republicans are both for, so they know they will pretty much get relelected every 2 years. So what happens is these house districts are electing more liberal and conservative members compared to more moderate members 20 years ago, and they are less apt to compromise when they get to congress. The Democrats were that way with Bush when they took over the House in 2006, and the Republicans are the same way when they took over the house in 2010.

So again, how am I the partisan one when I just criticized BOTH parties, and said Bill Clinton was a great President?
Old 07-24-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So again, how am I the partisan one when I just criticized BOTH parties, and said Bill Clinton was a great President?
And again, I'm calling you out on your bullshit stance that both parties are equally to blame for things currently, when they just aren't.
Old 07-24-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
And again, I'm calling you out on your bullshit stance that both parties are equally to blame for things currently, when they just aren't.
I can find articles all day to refute your 'bullshit' that the republicans are the worst ever, as the democrats did the same shit to Bush 43:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/after-...rticle/2512871

Last edited by mcnabb; 07-24-14 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 10:24 AM

Received 4,546 Likes on 3,084 Posts

MOD NOTE Guys... I know it's a political show, but this is getting out of hand with personal attacks. Please drop this. You can take any civil political discussion to the politics forum.
Old 07-24-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nevermind.
Old 07-24-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can find articles all day to refute your 'bullshit' that the republicans are the worst ever, as the democrats did the same shit to Bush 43:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/after-...rticle/2512871
Strawman. That's not at all what I was saying. I'm saying that they are not at equal levels - do you seriously think they are?
Old 11-22-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The interview with John Cleese at this start of the Nov 21st "Season Finale" episode was so good that I was disappointed when it ended and the panel started. (That's one of the very few times I ever wanted the opening interview to just keep going.)
Old 11-22-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "Finally... New Rule" is about Christmas:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZGpATMO-6_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And all that fake snow they dropped onstage at the end is still on them in the Overtime segment:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/heynpDBmTfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(And disappointingly, John Cleese doesn't join the panel for Overtime.)
Old 11-22-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
The interview with John Cleese at this start of the Nov 21st "Season Finale" episode was so good that I was disappointed when it ended and the panel started. (That's one of the very few times I ever wanted the opening interview to just keep going.)
The panel agreed with you. You could actually here them say to get John over there after the inteview when Bill went to the desk.
Old 11-23-14, 01:55 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Totally agree. That was awesome, and I wanted it to continue as well.
Old 04-09-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

There's now a controversy over this Web Exclusive New Rule:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7bhsxsSCWI4?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An article on the controversy:
"Bill Maher Zayn Malik Joke: Comedian Compares Zayn Malik To Boston Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev"

(This outrage sounds like P.C. people run amok over just a joke, but at least it clued me in to the fact that Bill Maher has stepped up his Internet only content because there's around 20 of these "Web Exclusive New Rules" since the new season started in January.)
Old 04-13-15, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bill Maher made this funny segment about the ridiculous P.C. outrage over the Zayn Malik joke called "Explaining Jokes to Idiots"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RpVCC7azVp4?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-13-15, 02:16 PM

That was pretty funny.
Old 01-15-16, 07:07 AM

Received 4,546 Likes on 3,084 Posts

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER KICKS OFF ITS 14TH SEASON JAN. 15, EXCLUSIVELY ON HBO; AL GORE IS THE TOP-OF-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; JOHN KRASINSKI IS THE MID-SHOW INTERVIEW GUEST; RALPH REED, NICOLLE WALLACE AND CORNEL WEST ARE THE ROUNDTABLE GUESTS

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER kicks off its 35-show 14th season FRIDAY, JAN. 15 (10:00-11:00 p.m. live ET/tape-delayed PT), with a replay at 11:00 p.m., exclusively on HBO. Allowing Maher to offer his unique perspective on contemporary issues, the show includes an opening monologue, roundtable discussions with panelists, and interviews with guests. Former Vice President Al Gore is the top-of-show interview guest. Actor John Krasinski is the mid-show interview guest. The roundtable guests are political activist Ralph Reed, political analyst Nicolle Wallace and academic Cornel West.
Old 01-15-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 898 Posts

I didn't watch as regularly last season because I work Friday nights and wound up missing it and not catching up but I still enjoy Maher's take on things. I'll hopefully tune in for the premiere tonight.
Old 01-15-16, 04:24 PM

Gotta make sure I record this tonight. Should be interesting with political season in full swing. I think they've been off the air since a week before Thanksgiving.
Old 01-17-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Man, I gotta bring up something Bill criticized ... Paul Ryan acting "smug" during the State of the Union. It's all in your head, Bill (and your team of writers). I looked at his face and didn't see anything wrong. It's like telling a dog to wipe that stupid look of its face! I don't know if Bill has a problem with Paul's emotive eyes, or what the problem is. But that whole bit was stupid. In fact, I think Paul Ryan should be embraced by Democrats, as he's a "team player" and not there to stonewall everything like the Republicans have been doing for the past seven years.

Also, Obama might not come on your show, because you're kind of a douche. I like you, your show, and your guests. Thought I don't know exactly what to think about it. Because I think Bill O'Reilly is the same way, and Obama did go on his show. Maybe you're too R-rated, broadcast live, and they're worried about that?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.