TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, interrupting repeatedly isn't owning anyone. No points were adequately shut down, she just shifted the topic.
"It's doesn't say January 6th on my calendar every day". She said that several times. What the fuck does that even mean!? It's not all we talk about. But we're sure as hell going to keep talking about it until everything is out. And hopefully people other than those hicks are charged.
The following users liked this post:
Jack Straw (06-29-22)
Old 06-13-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
"It's doesn't say January 6th on my calendar every day". She said that several times. What the fuck does that even mean!? It's not all we talk about. But we're sure as hell going to keep talking about it until everything is out. And hopefully people other than those hicks are charged.
It means there is no way to defend Trump and the GOP regarding 1/6, so the only "defense" is to insist people have to stop thinking about it.
Old 06-14-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Perhaps you didn't catch it, since Conway interrupted costantly, but Maher actually said the commission is a precursor.
Yes. Be he kept saying it like the DOJ was going to be indicting Trump when it is over. There's ZERO indication that's happening.
Old 06-14-22, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
She's always been that way, but she had a good point that Bill kept trying to dodge: If Trump isn't actually charged with anything, there's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to run again. She was also correct in pointing out that the January 6 Commission is NOT a trial - but Bill didn't want to hear that either. The discussion should have been about whether the DOJ is actually going to charge the Trump with anything.
Sort of. I felt Maher got halfway there. Yes, the January 6 Commission is NOT a trial. But it can help expose and bring to light the facts of what happened. And it can indirectly influence whether the DOJ is actually going to charge Trump with anything. As they are different branches of government, one does not directly influence the other. Nonetheless, if you do the work and present the case, then it can possibly force the DOJ's hand. Ultimately, the case, if there is one, would hinge on whether or not Trump knew he lost the election. If he did know he lost and did what he did on January 6th anyway, then he should be charged. If he was so delusional to think he actually won, then technically Trump should not be charged and there's no reason he shouldn't be allowed to run again. Though practically no one should vote for him if he's that delusional. It's not the legal disqualifier that bringing charges could be, but do you want to support a candidate that cannot tell fact from fiction? And there's the question that people like Maher should ask of people like Conway. If Trump can evade criminal charges by showing he legitly thought he won the election, then why support him? Ask if they'd vote for him again. Ask why. Cause someone that easily duped should bring serious questions if they should be president.
Old 06-14-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you want to ask delusional people if they think being delusional is a bad thing
Old 06-15-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
you want to ask delusional people if they think being delusional is a bad thing
It's probably an exercise in futility, but if you're booking delusional people on your show then what's the point? What else are you going to do? And it at least addresses part on Conway's "argument".
Old 06-19-22, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Bill is getting REALLY difficult to watch. He just comes off as being so out of touch. He didn't even know the stock market crashed at the beginning of the pandemic and the only reason it pumped so hard was because of all the stimulus, quantitative easing, and liquidity pumped into the system?

Krystal Ball was outnumbered, but she held her own against Bill and Mr. Eyeroller, and came off as the most informed of the three.
John Pannozzi (09-16-22)
Old 06-19-22, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

He knows what is coming in November and is covering his ass.
Old 06-25-22, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I watched last night’s show- I haven’t watched it in a while but it was awful. You know when the only laughs you get are unintended ones it’s time to hang it up. The whole one on one interview he had with the woman pushing her sex book was so cringeworthy it was difficult to watch. Bill just rambles now.

I wonder how long before HBO tell him it’s time to hang it up?
Old 06-25-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F

Never.

IDK how much Bill gets paid, but apart from that, the show costs nothing to produce, and it's topical content for HBOMax. The show won't end until Bill quits, and he won't do that before 2025. Maybe as he gets to 70, he will decide to hang it up.
Old 06-25-22, 06:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Maher loves being the sometimes-contrarian center of attention; he's not quitting anytime soon.
Old 06-25-22, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
Maher loves being the sometimes-contrarian center of attention; he's not quitting anytime soon.
He’s too far gone to realize his audience is laughing at him now. He doesn’t understand why he’s getting laughs on comments he makes seriously.
Old 06-26-22, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Every week for 10 years some has come in here saying "Man I really don't like Bill anymore. He's an old asshole and he's done. Fucking boomer".

Old 06-26-22, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is so unfortunate that HBO forces their subscribers to watch the show, whether they want to or not. There oughta be a law agin it!
Old 06-26-22, 08:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Who says or even acts like they're being forced to watch it? Such an argument would make more sense if it was backed up by, y'know, facts.
I watched this week because I was interested in what a particular guest had to say. Ended up disappointed but not a big deal. But while the episode had some insightful commentary barely sprinkled within, it was mostly bad jokes and Bill rambling and then complaining about the audience.

I'll still tune in for the odd guest here and there, but I'll skim through the episodes to get there, because based on watching the episode this week, it was like 85% filler.

I forgot that, these days, if you express once or twice that you don't like every episode of a show 100% of the time, then someone on a discussion forum feels like it's their duty to defend it.
John Pannozzi (08-05-22)
Old 06-26-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
Who says or even acts like they're being forced to watch it? Such an argument would make more sense if it was backed up by, y'know, facts.
I watched this week because I was interested in what a particular guest had to say. Ended up disappointed but not a big deal. But while the episode had some insightful commentary barely sprinkled within, it was mostly bad jokes and Bill rambling and then complaining about the audience.

I'll still tune in for the odd guest here and there, but I'll skim through the episodes to get there, because based on watching the episode this week, it was like 85% filler.

I forgot that, these days, if you express once or twice that you don't like every episode of a show 100% of the time, then someone on a discussion forum feels like it's their duty to defend it.
If someone says that they think the show has gotten so bad (for whatever reason) that they are not going to watch it anymore, then fine, stop watching.

If someone posts that the show should be cancelled because they think it is so bad, then the logical implication of such a comment is that they (feel they are?) being forced to watch it.

Old 06-26-22, 09:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

If someone posts that the show should be cancelled because they think it is so bad, then the logical implication of such a comment is that they (feel they are?) being forced to watch it.
Sure. Admittedly, I have only skimmed this last page of the thread (newb settings, FWIW), and I'm not seeing any use of the word cancel except in your post, and I'm not seeing anyone calling for his show to be pulled off the air. I very well could be missing it, though.

edit: Oh, I see Eric F's post. I don't see that as a call for cancellation as much as a call for retirement, but I get it that it could be interpreted both ways. Fair enough.
Old 06-26-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I see Eric F's post. I don't see that as a call for cancellation as much as a call for retirement, but I get it that it could be interpreted both ways. Fair enough.
One only asks that question: I wonder when HBO will cancel the show? if one thinks HBO should cancel the show.

Same thing with: People are saying HBO should tell Maher to retire. Are they right? That's Tucker Carlson for "I think Maher should go."
Old 06-26-22, 12:25 PM
Banned

One only asks that question: I wonder when HBO will cancel the show? if one thinks HBO should cancel the show.

Same thing with: People are saying HBO should tell Maher to retire. Are they right? That's Tucker Carlson for "I think Maher should go."
Thanks for interpreting what I said for me. I didn’t understand the point I was trying to make.
Old 06-26-22, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts

I like the show. I like most of Maher's views. I like that he will point out the ridiculousness of both sides.
Thos19 (06-28-22)
Old 06-26-22, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I watched last night’s show- I haven’t watched it in a while but it was awful. You know when the only laughs you get are unintended ones it’s time to hang it up. The whole one on one interview he had with the woman pushing her sex book was so cringeworthy it was difficult to watch. Bill just rambles now.

You haven't watched the show in a while, you watched a bad show on "your return" and your conclusion is, Bill just rambles now. You could have at least asked, if the show was this bad, the whole season. I do agree the interview in the beginning was awful and hard to watch.
Old 06-26-22, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for interpreting what I said for me. I didn’t understand the point I was trying to make.
Quite obviously, given the course of the conversation, I was not explaining it to you.
Old 06-27-22, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I like the show. I like most of Maher's views. I like that he will point out the ridiculousness of both sides.
So do I. I'm also mature enough to not give a fuck that a dude on television sometimes has opinions I don't share. At least he seems consistent and can back up what he says with thought out reasons and arguments that are more than merely strawmen and "just becausea".
No the show is not funny, but I doubt anyone besides Bill is still considering it "comedy". It's a political talk show.
Old 06-27-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I have to admit, despite not siding with Maher on a number of issues, he at least has some good discussion/debate on his show and his New Rules often hit the nail on the head (he did a great one this past week with the "you're not my lawyer" thing with the Democrats). I've found myself enjoying his shows much more this year than John Oliver, who is increasingly becoming grating to watch.
Old 06-27-22, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I still like him too. He's definitely getting crankier, but with the shitshow that the country/world is becoming, can you blame him?
tommyp007 (06-27-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.