DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - Series Discussion Thread

"You're a hypocrite" is the worst rebuttal to "You're wrong."
Old 10-01-22, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,350 Likes on 4,343 Posts

Alright, this is the best New Rules in a while. Funny, to the point and he makes a great argument.
Old 10-01-22, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,114 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Alright, this is the best New Rules in a while. Funny, to the point and he makes a great argument.
The notion that a power discrepancy automatically invalidates an adult woman's agency to enter into a sexual relationship of her own free will is insulting to women, imo. And let's be honest, for some women, the power discrepancy is part of what they find attractive.
The following users liked this post:
Decker (10-01-22)
Old 10-16-22, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I was afraid that Maher's stupidity was going to give Neil deGrasse Tyson a stroke.

And, Bill, seriously, just shut the fuck about people wearing masks outside. They might have a family member who is at-risk. They might just think it improves their chances of not getting sick a bit. It's their face, their choice, and not your fucking problem.

And Tyson should probably cool it on his H-bomb talk, too. They do release less radiation that a fission bomb, but it also depends on how they're used and what the yield is (the larger the H-bomb is, the less fallout it produces than a similarly sized fission bomb). At any rate, that's a genie lamp we don't want to start rubbing.
John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-17-22, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree, he really needs to stop with the mask rants. By the way he was wrong when comparing Florida and California, even with Floridas alleged cooking of the books California faired better then Florida with its Covid response.

John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-17-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Bill welcomes Chevy Chase for his latest episode of Club Random.

You can only imagine what all is said here . Lol
Old 10-17-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I was afraid that Maher's stupidity was going to give Neil deGrasse Tyson a stroke.

And, Bill, seriously, just shut the fuck about people wearing masks outside. They might have a family member who is at-risk. They might just think it improves their chances of not getting sick a bit. It's their face, their choice, and not your fucking problem.

And Tyson should probably cool it on his H-bomb talk, too. They do release less radiation that a fission bomb, but it also depends on how they're used and what the yield is (the larger the H-bomb is, the less fallout it produces than a similarly sized fission bomb). At any rate, that's a genie lamp we don't want to start rubbing.
The whole episode was terrible. In the interview he was neck deep in Netanjahu's ass. Not one critical question in the whole interview. During the panel again with his stupid covid theories, I was suprised he didn't blame fat people again. When Tyson argued in the same stupid way, telling him that Tyson didn't get covid but Maher did, he showed he couldn't take a punch himself.

Old 10-18-22, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I was suprised he didn't blame fat people again.
Wait, what??
I agree with everything you wrote except this. Maher never blamed fat people for Covid. But he has blamed obesity for a more severe course and more deaths. Which is completely true.
Old 10-18-22, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gunde
Wait, what??
I agree with everything you wrote except this. Maher never blamed fat people for Covid. But he has blamed obesity for a more severe course and more deaths. Which is completely true.
That was badly worded. I didn't mean he blamed fat people for covid, but he often divertes the covid discussion to obesity which is one of his pet projects. Obesity is the major driver for most health problems, but his "eat a salad" approach is a primitive solution to a complex problem and losing weight isn't a quick fix for covid.
John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-18-22, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

That was badly worded. I didn't mean he blamed fat people for covid, but he often divertes the covid discussion to obesity which is one of his pet projects. Obesity is the major driver for most health problems, but his "eat a salad" approach is a primitive solution to a complex problem and losing weight isn't a quick fix for covid.
Then we are still in agreement Thanks for clarifying.
Old 10-18-22, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maher's point was that in response to COVID-19, the governments at every level (federal, state, local) were willing to completely upend society, but were not willing to address obesity. Maybe the least that could have been done was in addition to pushing for wearing masks, it could have been pushed for people to lose weight. And like you said, it would help with health problems across the board.

You say his solution is primitive, but the solution to losing weight is simple: eat less, eat better, exercise. So what is he supposed to say? And how is this a bad pet project? He wants people to be healthier, so he's an asshole?

Old 10-18-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Have to agree with all that. Obesity is a huge issue that is only getting worse, but it's like we aren't allowed to address that anymore because fat shaming is a more pressing issue apparently.

Old 10-18-22, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Maher's point was that in response to COVID-19, the governments at every level (federal, state, local) were willing to completely upend society, but were not willing to address obesity. Maybe the least that could have been done was in addition to pushing for wearing masks, it could have been pushed for people to lose weight. And like you said, it would help with health problems across the board.

You say his solution is primitive, but the solution to losing weight is simple: eat less, eat better, exercise. So what is he supposed to say? And how is this a bad pet project? He wants people to be healthier, so he's an asshole?
Maher always had an issue with obesity, long before covid. He just uses covid to talk about one of his favorite topics.
For most people the "easy solution" isn't that easy. It's an addiction and while obesity is the cause of many health issues, it can also be the result of other health issues like depression.
Of course stopping/slowing down sounds easy, especially for a guy like Maher, who says he never ate for joy (comfort), but it's the equivalent of telling a bolemic to eat some bacon without throwing up. So while excercising and eating healthy is generally a good advise and the solution for a lot of problems, it's not an immediate solution for rising covid cases. Losing weight is a slow process, even with a healthy diet and exercise. So if you start of at 300 lbs, lose 4 lbs a month you're still obese after a year of pandemic. So even in this ideal version, it's not a fix, but if you want to discuss obesity in a serious way, you can't ignore the most of reasons for obesity.

That's why I called his solution primitive. He has a problem with obesity and the handling of society of the topic. So while remaining silent, because fat shaming is cruel, is stupid, he goes to the other extreme, because he ignores a lot of things which can factor in.
He's not Michelle Obama teaching kids how to eat healthy, he's Nancy Reagan telling children to just say no. That's what's making him an asshole or at least narrow minded.
John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-18-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

If this country cared to focus more attention and resources on mental health wed solve more than obesity. Perhaps wed have less mass shootings for one.
The following 4 users liked this post by bunkaroo:
actionjackson29 (10-22-22), Bronkster (10-23-22), JeffTheAlpaca (10-18-22), John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-18-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If this country cared to focus more attention and resources on mental health wed solve more than obesity. Perhaps wed have less mass shootings for one.
As a German I can hardly fathom how antiquated and anti-social the US are in so many aspects of a modern society. Health care, voting system/rights, captial punishment, gun control, education. In a lot of those fields America was pioneering, but stopped evolving or even declined.

The story of Breaking Bad in Germany and most western civilzed countries would have lasted 5 minutes.
- I've got cancer and I'm broke. I can't pay for treatment and I want my family to be taken care of, so my kids can go to college.
- No problem, your treatment will be covered by your insurance, no questions asked. While you're on sick leave you get full pay for 6 weeks and afterwards 70% of your pay. Should you die your wife gets a big chunk of your pension since as a teacher you worked for the state. Your children receive a pension for being half-orphand until they are 21. University is free anyway.

The End
The following 3 users liked this post by Runaway:
actionjackson29 (10-22-22), Decker (10-19-22), John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-18-22, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maher always had an issue with obesity, long before covid. He just uses covid to talk about one of his favorite topics.
So what? Is he wrong? Is obesity in the US a serious problem? COVID just brought an new aspect of the seriousness of obesity into the light.

For most people the "easy solution" isn't that easy. It's an addiction and while obesity is the cause of many health issues, it can also be the result of other health issues like depression.
I never said it was "easy." Believe me I know losing weight is not easy. But how to do it is a simple formula, and you can do it on your own.
If an adult has to deal with psychological issues, then they have to do that, and there is not a simple formula for that. But a lot of obesity in the US, especially childhood obesity, is people just not giving a shit about eating crap.

Of course stopping/slowing down sounds easy, especially for a guy like Maher, who says he never ate for joy (comfort), but it's the equivalent of telling a bolemic to eat some bacon without throwing up. So while excercising and eating healthy is generally a good advise and the solution for a lot of problems, it's not an immediate solution for rising covid cases. Losing weight is a slow process, even with a healthy diet and exercise. So if you start of at 300 lbs, lose 4 lbs a month you're still obese after a year of pandemic. So even in this ideal version, it's not a fix, but if you want to discuss obesity in a serious way, you can't ignore the most of reasons for obesity.
People would be healthier if they lost weight. That's the truth.
You make it sound like because it is hard, it shouldn't be encouraged.
Please, for the love of god, every obese 300 pounder out there, lose 50 pounds in a year!

I don't know that Maher or anybody else has ever said that people losing weight is a solution to rising COVID cases. It makes each individual who loses the weight safer if they get COVID.

That's why I called his solution primitive. He has a problem with obesity and the handling of society of the topic. So while remaining silent, because fat shaming is cruel, is stupid, he goes to the other extreme, because he ignores a lot of things which can factor in.
He's not Michelle Obama teaching kids how to eat healthy, he's Nancy Reagan telling children to just say no. That's what's making him an asshole or at least narrow minded.
Maher is not responsible for solving any problems. He's a crank who scolds people because no one else is doing it. I'm certain he would say he is raising awareness, and we're talking about it.

As I previously said, Maher is on this because he is frustrated and angry about what he sees as a missed opportunity for society to have a come to Jesus moment about his pet peeve.
Old 10-18-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a German I can hardly fathom how antiquated and anti-social the US are in so many aspects of a modern society. Health care, voting system/rights, captial punishment, gun control, education. In a lot of those fields America was pioneering, but stopped evolving or even declined.

The story of Breaking Bad in Germany and most western civilzed countries would have lasted 5 minutes.
- I've got cancer and I'm broke. I can't pay for treatment and I want my family to be taken care of, so my kids can go to college.
- No problem, your treatment will be covered by your insurance, no questions asked. While you're on sick leave you get full pay for 6 weeks and afterwards 70% of your pay. Should you die your wife gets a big chunk of your pension since as a teacher you worked for the state. Your children receive a pension for being half-orphand until they are 21. University is free anyway.

The End
Is this why no one has ever heard of a great German TV show?
Old 10-18-22, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Oh, so you want to take away people's First and Second Amendment rights to be crazy and own guns?
Old 10-19-22, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this why no one has ever heard of a great German TV show?
It's definitely part of it.
But there are one or two.

Old 10-19-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just want to explain that when I said losing weight was "simple," I meant it was not complicated, especially as health conditions go.
I know it is not easy. But if you are able to do what is necessary, it is not complicated. You don't have to go to a hospital or be under a doctor's care. You don't need expensive prescription medications. You don't have to buy any equipment or medical devices.
Old 10-19-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just want to explain that when I said losing weight was "simple," I meant it was not complicated, especially as health conditions go.
I know it is not easy. But if you are able to do what is necessary, it is not complicated. You don't have to go to a hospital or be under a doctor's care. You don't need expensive prescription medications. You don't have to buy any equipment or medical devices.
OK, than I misunderstood your first statement. I still think Maher has the wrong focus and over simplifies the issue, since he isn't affected by it. Speak out against Biden's age and he claims agesim, but only he himself turned 60.
Shutting down Neil DeGrasse Tyson in an science based discussion, because he points out problems with your argument, is pretty weak and not the first time he did it.
John Pannozzi (10-24-22)
Old 10-22-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

That's the complicated part.
Old 10-22-22, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
That's the complicated part.
Yes, and part of it is getting motivated and staying motivated.

Maher sees that we were willing to do so much in response to the pandemic: lock ourselves away in our homes, keep kids out of school, force businesses to fail. All these things done to our social and psychology detriment in the name of safety.
And then all the measures and enforcement that changed the simplest and most common of daily activities. Again, in the name of safe-guarding our health.

But the government trying to motivate people to lose weight was a bridge too far.
Old 01-21-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

First episode of 2023 aired last night, and it's off to a rocky start. Maher opened it with one of his worst interviews ever, with guest Bill Barr. Not sure what he was thinking. Did he just promise Barr beforehand that he would just basically toss him softball questions for the entire interview, or was that his legit approach? Because from aside from the final question (after just basically asking Barr about his childhood and what it was like growing up), which he STILL allowed Barr to just lie and dodge, it was just a milquetoast conversation that amounted to nothing. I know he always tries to make a point that he welcomes conservatives to his show and that it's healthy to establish a dialogue with those across the aisle, but he just embarrassed himself here. There's many, many tough but fair questions he could've asked Barr, but instead he basically just ensured that Barr got a bunch of polite applause and probably helped him sell his lie-packed book...Like, it's great that Barr eventually jumped ship from Trump when it was politically expedient to do so (plus he figured it would help him sign books, by painting himself as one of the sane ones in that Administration, as if), but that doesn't make up for all of the nefarious and potentially illegal things he did for the Trump Administration during his corrupt tenure as Attorney General...

Aside from that, I thought the Republican Congresswoman Karen Mace was a very good guest, aside from her remarks about how she would resolve America's debt problem, which were ridiculous even at face value. Beyond that remark, she was funny, intelligent, and I hope to see her on more often in the future...

And Andrew Sullivan was Andrew Sullivan, love him or hate him. I like some stuff he says, I dislike other stuff he says. I'm always kind of in the middle when it comes to that dude, although I do like how his thinking has greatly evolved since the Bush Jr. years, when his thinking was much, much different.
John Pannozzi (01-27-23)
Old 01-21-23, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

^I was reading that post and thinking "What did I miss about Bill Burr, and why should Bill Maher be calling him out?"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.