Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Official Golden Globes discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah - I kept thinking the same thing das - I mean, I have no idea which director they're talking about... and as for writer, no earthly idea.

But it still looks good!

Back to the GGs... and, no surprise there Perhaps that makes it the front runner for the Oscars, but based on critical support, WHERE WAS FAR FROM HEAVEN?? I'd still bet on FFH to win the Oscar.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Celine is scaring me.
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>I didn't think Nicole's performance was better than Lane's or Moore's, and Streep had the emotionally juicier role in the same film (The Hours). <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, I figured this would go to Moore for Far From Heaven. And Cage not winning is pretty bad.

Other than that, though, I've been very impressed with their selections. They seem to take more time to consider all the TV shows and not just the popular ones. Now that the Emmys are actually forcing voters to watch the shows the vote on (shocking concept, I know), they've been more reasonable too.

das
Old 01-19-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought "The Hours" was good, but not a great. Again, I have no idea who the "Hollywood Foreign Press Association" is, so who knows who's really voting for these awards.
Old 01-19-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow! An awards show that didn't run over their alloted time slot.
Old 01-19-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you missed the Globes watch in on Bravo saturday.
Old 01-19-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Wow! An awards show that didn't run over their alloted time slot.
Amen
Old 01-19-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In closing, I'd just like to thank Halle Berry for knocking down the door so I could watch this show.

das
Old 01-19-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm beginning to think a large percentage of the voters from the HFPA were women after seeing the results of the GGs when it comes to films.
Old 01-19-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Hours!?!?!?!?!!? I thought it was a good film, but certainly not award worthy... hello Lord of the Rings...hello About Schmidt!? (which like Jack said, should have been nominated as a comedy in the first place, but still deserved to win)...

Thank God Chicago did so well, otherwise I'd be completely disillusioned... The rest of the awards seemed pretty fair...but The Hours!?!?!?!?

I just can't believe it....

MATT
Old 01-19-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See, I didn't even think Chicago was all that either.
Old 01-19-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
That Said, Jack doesn't disappoint and gives the quote of the night: "I took a valium tonight"
I believe he was referencing his behavior on the Critics Choice Awards, last night.

See here: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=264837
Old 01-19-03, 10:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
As my friend aptly put it, referring to the shortness of the Golden Globes to the Oscars: "The Golden Globes, more awards, less bulls**t"

IMO Terrance Blanchard's score for "25th Hour" should have won over "Frida's" soundtrack.

What was up with Branden Frasier, thought he seemed kind of tipsy, looked like he was trying to feel that lady's butt or something. She had a really wierd look, like "get the hell away from me"

a lady friend of mine was fawning over the fact that Jude Law, Brendan, Matthew McConneghy (sic) and Paul Walker were all back to back presenters.

Last edited by Giles; 01-19-03 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-19-03, 10:45 PM

I thought it was pretty good...Chicago winning musical/comedy best picture, Renee Zellweger winning as well. But especially Martin Scorsese winning best director for the real best picture IMHO. Also Jennifer Connelly and Nicole Kidman looked absolutely beautiful, particularly Connelly.
Old 01-19-03, 11:17 PM

On the TV side, I'd say the major networks should now realize that their day is almost over. Every TV award, except for Jennifer Anniston, went to a non-broadcast network channel. It started last September at the Emmy's and is getting stronger with the GG.
Old 01-19-03, 11:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
-Meryl Streep winning right off the bat. Great reception, great speech. Wonderful moment.

-Chris Cooper winning, because he really deserved it.

-Nicole Kidman winning. In my opinion, the real struggle was between her and Streep for The Hours, but I think she gave a slightly better performance and I'm overjoyed she won.

-The Hours winning. I really liked this film. Perhaps About Schmidt should have won, but I am very satisfied with The Hours.

-Curb Your Enthusiasm winning. The funniest show on TV gets its due.

-Tony Shalhoub winning. He's such a talent, and so rarely does he get recognized.

-U2 winning. God, I love U2.

-And, of course, Martin Scorsese finally getting some recognition for simply being one of the best American filmmakers alive.

Dislikes:
-Chicago winning best comedy/musical. Adaptation was far superior. Also, Punch-Drunk Love should have been nominated over Nicholas Nickleby.

-Renee Zellweger winning. It should have gone to Catherine Zeta-Jones.

-The score to Frida winning. This should have gone to Far From Heaven or Long Walk Home.

Biggest surprise:
About Schmidt beating Adaptation for best screenplay. That one threw me for a loop. I was sure it was between The Hours and Adaptation, but Schmidt came in from behind and pulled the rug out from under them.

Ambivalent:
Jack Nicholson. Was he better than Daniel Day-Lewis? I still can't decide. They should be given a joint award.

Most egregious mistake:
Richard Gere beating Nicholas Cage. What a complete joke. The most Richard Gere has going for him is charisma. Nicholas Cage gave his two best performances and Gere tap dances in and steals it, pulling the wool over the eyes of the Hollywood Foreign Press. I just hate how people have fallen in with the Chicago zeitgeist so much that they can't see when a better picture or performance comes before them.
Old 01-19-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I loved Chicago, and I'm a HUGE musical fan, but the Hollywood Foreign Press is just a bit too enamored with musicals for my taste. Gere was right when he said he figured Cage would win ... because he should have. It's great to see Gere rewarded for a wonderful performance, but I hope the Oscars give it to (IMO) the more deserving Cage.

das
Old 01-19-03, 11:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
It's great to see Gere rewarded for a wonderful performance, but I hope the Oscars give it to (IMO) the more deserving Cage.

das
All things considered, I doubt Cage even has a true chance at the Oscars. If he lost to Richard Gere tonight, I highly doubt his performance will be able to stand up against Day-Lewis and Nicholson on Oscar night. That being said, I think Richard Gere has even less of a chance.
Old 01-19-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 214 Likes on 177 Posts
just a few comments:

Sharon Stone needs to get off the cocaine - someone should slap her and tell her to shut the fu*k up.

If people don't want to present, then don't - just quit making it look like you would rather be anywhere else but there, like Harrison Ford, Heath Ledger, Lara Flynn Boyle, etc.

No more pretentious idiots allowed on stage, specifically Jeff Goldblum.

I cannot believe Richard Gere won an award, does this mean that the apocalypse is upon us? seriously...

Every song sucked, not just U2's.

I can't believe Scrubs wasnt' nominated, but it was nice to see Larry David win - his speech was good, wasn't it?

Not that Jack Nicholson wasn't good in About Schmidt - it was an excellent change of pace for him (very smooth and understated), but I honestly believe that Daniel Day Lewis should have won for Best Actor in a Drama. He completely owned that movie. He was over the top and brilliant. He was the baddest mother fu**er to come across the screen in a long time (possibly since Eastwood in Unforgiven).

One thing I do love about the Golden Globes is that they don't waste their time w/ a host, they just get right to it. Oh, great segment when Hackman was awarded the DeMille award.
Old 01-20-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Suprmallet •<HR SIZE=1>All things considered, I doubt Cage even has a true chance at the Oscars. If he lost to Richard Gere tonight, I highly doubt his performance will be able to stand up against Day-Lewis and Nicholson on Oscar night. That being said, I think Richard Gere has even less of a chance. <HR SIZE=1>

You're probably right. Last year's Best Actor noms were pretty weak, but this year the voters are going to have their hands full trying to pick a winner, and Cage will probably get squeezed out. In fact, that category will be so packed, Gere's only hope of getting nominated is likely in the Supporting Actor category.

das
Old 01-20-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Adrian, your love for Minority Report is admirable, but I don't think I'm alone in finding it an incredibly watered down faux-science fiction flick with excellent special effects, solid acting, and hardly any substance at all. Like a skilled magician, Spielberg tries to distract us with special effects in hopes that we won't notice he's lost when it comes to difficult science fiction premises. While it attempts to cloak itself in the charade of intelligent science fiction, it's little more than a summer blockbuster. It would really shock me to see it nominated in any significant category (other than sound and effects), since IMO, while entertaining, it pales in comparison to each of the films you listed (including the possibly's).

I don't say this to criticize those who like it but to note that I don't think it has anything to do with "conservative" or not. I just think a lot of people don't consider it a very good movie, and that's something that can't really be said about the other films you listed (and will likely get nominated).

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 01-20-03 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-20-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Adrian •<HR SIZE=1>Okay, I thnk it will be waste of my time in my part if I will even try debating with you the merits & demerits of Minority Report.<HR SIZE=1>

That is wise. I have seen it twice now and honestly thought it was worse the second time. I certainly don't find it a bad film; I just think it fails on too many levels to be considered in the company of the potential nominees you listed. Anyway, as I think you noticed, I wasn't trying to start a debate of the merits of the film (I'm well aware there are many who loved it); I just think the other films you listed are liked on more levels by more people and stand a much greater chance of getting nominated for major awards. And while I think Minority Report is an entertaining enough chase flick, I believe these other films are significantly more deserving as well.

das
Old 01-20-03, 01:24 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 222 Posts
I just saw the results, I watched the football game instead, and I'm really surprised.

A big for Shaloub winning for Monk and CYE winning comedy series.

Someone said before and I agree 100%, the heads of the big 4 have to be in shock. I hope 1 win in the major awards sends them a message, though I doubt it will.

I haven't seen some all of the movies that were nominated so I won't comment on that.
Old 01-20-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth MrX •<HR SIZE=1>I just saw the results, I watched the football game instead, and I'm really surprised.<HR SIZE=1>

Picture ... in ... picture. Go Raiders!

das
Old 01-20-03, 01:48 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No comment on the TV awards - I don't watch too many shows. In fact I didn't watch the presentation - I'm just reacting here to the winner's list.

The movies on the other hand:
I think the 'Foreign Press' likes musicals a little too much - witness the awards for Moulin Rouge. I would have preferred Adaptation as best comedy/musical.
I would also disagree with the Scorsese award - this is just recognizing past work. Kidman wasn't as good as Moore this year. Best Drama was a tossup - The Hours is good enough to win.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.