Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire on HBO --- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This show is a great filler between OZ and The Sopranos.

I have caught every episode since the first and it only has gotten better and better.

I gotta love the 2 partner cops. Highlarious the way they play off each other.

It's also fascinating watching the relationship between McNulty and Omar. Especially at the
Spoiler:
bus stop when Omar was rolling out to NY.

Seemed like 2 regular guys talking.

Good stuff.
Old 08-13-02, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by RevLiver
No spoilers, but the ending of last night's episode was one of the most intense things I've ever seen on television.
Agreed.

Spoiler:
Kima's death was foreshadowed throughout the episode (1. the scene in the bar with her girlfriend who didn't like her being a cop; 2. Kima telling Bubs that she would help him find an apartment the next day), but I was hoping they wouldn't kill her off. My heart just sunk when they were trying to find her (yes, yes...I know it's not real ).

Personally, I hope they don't bring The Wire back for another season because nothing can top what we've seen thus far.
Old 08-13-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they will bring it back for a second season. How can they not? HBO unlike the networks allows good shows to find an audience rather than yanking them if they arent instant hits.
Old 08-17-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got to last week's episode on the TiVo (I wish my employers could realize that I need to watch 16 hours of TV a day, not waste my time making their company money). Damn, that was some good stuff.

HBO is so far past the rest of the television landscape it's almost laughable.

das
Old 08-17-02, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Thrush
I think they will bring it back for a second season. How can they not? HBO unlike the networks allows good shows to find an audience rather than yanking them if they arent instant hits.
I am almost positive that from the inception of this show it was a set limited run of 13 episodes. I think this follows David Simon other HBO show The Corner (this term gets over hyped -but that was the best HBO show I have seen). The Corner was a limited run too at 6 or 7 eps.

These stories are based on his books and I dont think intended for a multiple season series.
Old 08-18-02, 12:04 PM

I was thumbing through the "Television Week" tv guide that comes with the Baltimore Sun, and it stated that The Wire has recently been renewed for a second season.
Old 08-19-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I think Das and I were the only two who posted in the first topic about the Wire after the first episode. I think it is a great show and have not missed an episode.
Old 08-20-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth BigDaddy •<HR SIZE=1>I think Das and I were the only two who posted in the first topic about the Wire after the first episode. I think it is a great show and have not missed an episode. <HR SIZE=1>

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=214437

Reading through the other threads is fun too. Lots of "This show sucks" and "I won't be watching again ... it's boring." Suckers. When will people learn? Two years from now, the same posters will be pissed that HBO's not re-airing the repeats enough so they can catch up.

das
Old 09-08-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reminder!! The Wire Season Finale on now! (10pm EST)

!! <--excited heh
Old 09-08-02, 10:08 PM

That was excellent. This has become by far my favorite series of the summer. Anybody know if HBO has any plans to resurrect this show next year, maybe in a different city? It was great to have a show set somewhere other than New York, Chicago, or L.A. for a change.
Old 09-09-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
Originally posted by Neush
That was excellent. This has become by far my favorite series of the summer. Anybody know if HBO has any plans to resurrect this show next year, maybe in a different city? It was great to have a show set somewhere other than New York, Chicago, or L.A. for a change.
Well it was set in Baltimore.

I loved this show it really grew on me and I'm sad to see it over, the way they resolved all the plot points makes me believe we won't see any more of it but i'm sure HBO has a creative enough writing team that they could resurect it if they wanted to.

On the other hand if they can kill of Arlass I'd be a happy man the one real mis-step in the HBO lineup.....
Old 09-11-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The final episode was phenomenal.

Spoiler:
Mcnulty coming full circle with Stinkum in the courtroom was great. His line "what the hell did I do" said it all. I think in the end he realized there were no winners just losers. Destroyed lives, ruined careers (including his own), a colleague in the hospital and all for what? The "game" would continue despite all that they had done.

Some people have put forth the theory that Stringer was "the man" all along and Avon was nothing more than a figure head. I dont know if I buy that or not. But it seems Stringer was the smarter of the two and more often than not Avon did what Stringer advised him to do. The ending with Omar was priceless.

I just realized the actor who played Stringer bell (Stinkum) was also the agent from the British Vampire miniseries Ultraviolet. He hides his accent well.
Old 09-11-02, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The final episode was phenomenal.

I just realized the actor who played Stringer bell (Stinkum) was also the agent from the British Vampire miniseries Ultraviolet. He hides his accent well.

Am I misunderstanding here or do you think that Stringer Bell and Stinkum were the same person?
Old 09-11-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
I can't believe Dee let his mom talk him into that possible 20 year bid with that fanily guilt trip she layed on him!
Old 09-11-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
Am I misunderstanding here or do you think that Stringer Bell and Stinkum were the same person?
I kept getting them crossed up.

Last edited by Thrush; 09-11-02 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-11-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kept getting them crossed up.
Stinkum was muscle for the Barksdale crew. He got whacked by Omar when he and Wee-bay tried to ambush a street dealer.
Old 09-11-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Manco
Stinkum was muscle for the Barksdale crew. He got whacked by Omar when he and Wee-bay tried to ambush a street dealer.
I really should lay off of the drugs.
Old 10-24-02, 03:41 PM

HBO Wants More of 'The Wire'

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?28613

Wed, Oct 23, 2002 07:03 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "The Wire," the critically praised police drama that aired on HBO over the summer, will be back for a second season.

The pay-cable network is close to finishing an agreement for 13 more episodes of the series, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The pickup is no surprise, as the show earned solid ratings -- although not at the level of other HBO shows like "The Sopranos" or "Six Feet Under" -- and won the critical acclaim on which the network trades.

"The Wire's" first season focused on a group of Baltimore cops as they went through the often frustrating process of building a case against drug dealers at a city housing project. It also followed the lives of the dealers.

Where the second season will pick up is unclear -- the first ended with several of the major dealers in jail and the police task force that worked the case broken up. The underlying problems, however, went on as a new group of dealers stepped up to take over the business.

This is good news, though it took awhile to get into the show, since most of the characters and storylines were pretty complex. You really had to pay attention. But hopefully we will get back some of the regulars (good & bad guys/girls)

Chris
Old 10-24-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Good. The Wire was a great show.
Old 10-24-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet, best show on TV IMO.
Old 10-24-02, 06:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
Good. The Wire was a great show.
I agree.
Old 10-24-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I agree.
anyone know when HBO will reair it?
Old 10-25-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was the best miniseries I've ever seen. It will likely get nada at Emmy time, which is a shame. It was complex, subtle and thought-provoking. Brilliant in every way.

We've got to get McNulty out of the Harbor Patrol...that's just cruel.
Old 10-25-02, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved watching to see what Oz characters were resurrected from the dead.
Old 10-30-02, 07:34 AM

One word: BOO YAH!!!!

I'm already dripping in anticipation of a new season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.