TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you find Sarah Jessica Parker's face offensive looking?
Yes, she looks like a horse
51.85%
No, she's a hottie
44.44%
Twikoff looks way better
3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Sex and the City

Old 02-23-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Manipulative, but a very good finale. Probably one of the best series endings I've seen. I admit to getting teared up several times throughout.

Major embarassment for me:
When Carrie was dodging traffic and Big John pulled up next to her, I shouted, "Turn around!" at the television.
Old 02-23-04, 02:11 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I thought the finale was great. Everybody received a good send-off and Carrie and Big are back at. It shouldn't be any other way.
Old 02-23-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose

Major embarassment for me:
When Carrie was dodging traffic and Big John pulled up next to her, I shouted, "Turn around!" at the television.
I shouted, "You idiot! How could you not recognize her in that poofy skirt?"
Old 02-23-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The name "John" didn't seem to have fit the character of Big. Big looks like a Patrick or a Will to me. What do you guys think? In my opinion the writers should have picked a different name.
Old 02-23-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by QuikSilver
The name "John" didn't seem to have fit the character of Big. Big looks like a Patrick or a Will to me. What do you guys think? In my opinion the writers should have picked a different name.
I think they did that on purpose. After all this time without being named, it's funny that he ends up having such a nondescript name as John.
Old 02-23-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have liked him to have the name of "Horace" for some silly reason. The gals would have a field day with that name...
Old 02-24-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
I think they did that on purpose. After all this time without being named, it's funny that he ends up having such a nondescript name as John.
I was thinking the same thing - although my very first impulse was to be shocked that such a larger than life character would have such an ordinary name, in the end it seemed so fitting for the reason you stated.

I loved this show, and will miss it greatly. The season finale was all I hoped for - I did NOT like the Russian, and have a special place in my heart for Chris Noth, so was thrilled with Carrie's choice. The entire series has been a journey of self-discovery for Carrie, so it seemed so right to me that she finally came full circle and realized her love affair with New York was so much more than that, and that her sense of independence and self-worth were inherent parts of her being and not just something to be discarded when her current boyfriend found them inconvenient.

I also loved Big's journey, especially this last season - he truly realized what he wanted from life and a life partner, and could actually commit.

Know what? I loved it all. Miranda's slow (realistic) shedding of her cynical armor, Samantha's slow (realistic) shedding of her slutty armor, and Charlotte's slow (realistic) shedding of her romanticized ideals in favor of the true beauty of life. For those who felt this show was just about self-centered, promiscuous women, I say you did not "get it" - at all. You concentrated on the surface and failed to see the inner journeys. Personally, I'm quite sad that I cannot look forward to another season of one of my all-time favorite shows, and will always love this show. I sincerely hope they do a movie (or two, or even a "bonus season" ) to check in with the gang periodically.

I guess my girlfriends and I will need to rewatch the dvds again and again instead of watching new eps.
Old 02-24-04, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the finale had a strong emotional punch - unfortunately due to the frequent use of tobacco products being inhaled, I will have to take three stars off of my rating, dropping it from four stars down to one.
Are you serious?

Great ending... finest finale in a long time to a major series. (Of course in these days it's rare for a show to actually have a finale)
Old 02-24-04, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PeMo
Are you serious?
Nah, just an homage to my favorite film critic of all time
Old 02-24-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a smoker and I don't really like it personally, but I did think Carrie smoking again was a nice touch. Didn't she originally quit just because Aidan wanted her to?

It seemed like a nice way to show she was getting back in touch with who she was again and not just what men want of her.
Old 02-24-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
I'm not a smoker and I don't really like it personally, but I did think Carrie smoking again was a nice touch. Didn't she originally quit just because Aidan wanted her to?

It seemed like a nice way to show she was getting back in touch with who she was again and not just what men want of her.
Yep that is why Carrie quit smoking so taking up the habit again while not healthy is getting back to her roots. Good point Jadzia, I missed that one.
Old 02-25-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

SJP was on The Today Show this morning and she mentioned that the other 2 alternate endings were:

She calls the girls from the plane to announce that she and Petrovsky are getting married.

She announces that she's coming home, no man in sight.

Katie Couric also commented on the ratings for the final episode: they pulled in 10.6 million, which is huge for a HBO show since it's not in a large percentage of homes compared to conventional cable channels.

Last edited by Patman; 02-25-04 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
SJP was on The Today Show this morning and she mentioned that the other 2 alternate endings were:

She calls the girls from the plane to announce that she and Petrovsky are getting married.
Not exactly true....

The girls reassemble at the coffee shop where Carrie tells them everything that happened in Paris and why she had returned.

1 - She ran into Big, he was selling the place in Napa and returning to NYC and they would "see how it goes".

2 - Petrovsky was following her back to NYC in a few weeks and they would begin planning their wedding.

3 - She couldn't take Petrovsky and Paris and had moved back alone.

SJP said that NONE of this dialogue was used although it was filmed. The reason there is no breaking point for the separate endings in the aired episode is because the entire coffee shop scene with the dialogue and the alternate endings were cut. In the final version, we see the women hopping up to greet Carrie and then leaving the coffee shop together.

I still want that footage on the DVD.

Also on the movie front... SJP said she would definitely consider doing it since Michael Patrick King was writing it. If it DOES happen, the storyline is probably going to pick up right where this final episode ended and not leap ahead in time to a "different chapter" of the ladies' lives.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-25-04 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, I was trying to get dressed, tie my shoes and listen to the segment at the same time, good thing I wasn't chewing gum too! Obviously I got the gist right, but the details a little mixed up.
Old 02-26-04, 04:52 AM

I don't remember where I saw this, but in a brief interview with Chris Noth after the finale aired, he's asked about the alternate endings. He says that after he tracks Carrie down in Paris and says, "You're the one," she says, "It's too late."

I wasn't sure if Chris Noth was being entirely serious when he said this, but I could see this dialogue exchange fitting in with the alternate endings Sarah Jessica Parker described.