Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy on FX

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-01, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy on FX

I know it just started minutes ago, but after seeing the library I started feeling giddy. I love this show so much
Old 09-24-01, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[Insert jealous non-FX-carrying cable company bitter comment here...]
Old 09-24-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WhooHoo!!!!! I can't get enough! The only downside is it's on opposite Babylon 5. Also, I think TNG is going to be on at 7 when it's on TNN. (sigh)
Old 09-24-01, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My life is in shambles ... trying to watch B5, Farscape, Buffy, Ally, and The Practice is painful enough ... when TNG gets in there, I'm in serious trouble. Thankfully, at least FX is running it's lineup again during the day.

I must admit though that I was in a corner twitching, because I was so giddy that there was Buffy on my TV again. And a new Star Trek on the way, and TNG reruns, and more B5, and Jeremiah, and ... I'M GOING TO EXPLODE

das
Old 09-24-01, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am so glad that F/X bought the rights for Buffy. The only bad part is that I work until 7. But, hopefully they will rerun them on the weekends!
Old 09-24-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by whitetigeress
I am so glad that F/X bought the rights for Buffy. The only bad part is that I work until 7. But, hopefully they will rerun them on the weekends!
VCR
TiVo
Quit Work

Priorities ... come on ...

das
Old 09-24-01, 09:05 PM

I dont think they are running them on the weekends, I know the one they show at 7pmEST will be on the next day at 4pm but I did not see anything about weekends on their website
Old 09-24-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I'm right there with you man. I think it's time to quit work....
Old 09-24-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
My life is in shambles ... trying to watch B5, Farscape, Buffy, Ally, and The Practice is painful enough ... when TNG gets in there, I'm in serious trouble. Thankfully, at least FX is running it's lineup again during the day.

I must admit though that I was in a corner twitching, because I was so giddy that there was Buffy on my TV again. And a new Star Trek on the way, and TNG reruns, and more B5, and Jeremiah, and ... I'M GOING TO EXPLODE

das
ROFLMAO! I'm in the exact same boat, das Monkey! Or at least one close enough that I too feel that I'm going to explode. Now watching Farscape and Buffy from the beginning (combined that's 9 hours a week), plus new eps of Buffy, Angel, Roswell, Gilmore Girls, Charmed, Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Andromeda, Law and Order, West Wing, Friends, Will & Grace, Ally McBeal, the Practice, X-Files, Dark Angel, That 70's Show, NYPD Blue, and Once and Again.

Oh, and there's the shows that don't coincide with the regular seasons, Farscape, Sex and the City, and Witchblade.

And can't forget the new ones starting this fall: Smallville, Justice League, 24, Enterprise, Mutant X, Alias, The Agency, Philly, Crossing Jordan, Wolf Lake and Jeremiah (early 2002).

Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to watch them all when they're all on at the same time. For now, season premieres are spread out enough that I don't really have to freak out until the beginning of November, but I'm gonna need a system worked out before then.
Old 09-24-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Solution: Lay off some of those WB shows You can do without them and sit-coms. All sit-coms are the same anyway ... that's a gross generalization, but you have to make budget cuts somewhere.

Oh, and as I told someone else, you need two TVs. I have 2 TVs, 3 VCRs, and a TiVo with Dual Tuners. It's not enough, but it's close. Learn how to watch two shows at the same time on the dual TiVo tuner to cut out commercials. Also, learn how to watch two shows on two TVs at the same time. Sounds impossible, but it's the only way to survive in these desperate times

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-24-01 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-24-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No kidding. I was thinking of checking out Emeril and maybe Ellen's new show, but there's going to be so little time with all the other new stuff. Sooo, the genre shows for now and if the rest make it, I can check them out in reruns.
Old 09-24-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 2 tvs and 5 vcrs. I just branch of my cable into sep. feeds and use the vcrs tuner to pull in each channel I want. I also use my DSS to record some shows. All in all I have a system worked out. It just gets pretty crazy trying to make sure I have every channel I want to record without setting 2 vcrs with the same channel. I was going to buy a TIVO but I got 2 vcrs instead. It cost me about $150.00 less this way and I can live with the so-so picture since local channels never look that great anyway.
Old 09-24-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If only I could quit work and watch Buffy all day. Only in my dreams Did you guys see Angel???????
Old 09-25-01, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, the days of being able to watch one thing and tape another. It made life easier to tape things (plus I got to use the fun picture in picture capability of my tv), but I couldn't get sci-fi or hbo, and I only had one WB and UPN, and everything was a west coast feed.

So now I'm in the realm of Dish watchers, which means I can only watch one thing at a time with each receiver (and must watch what is taping - though I can also watch a dvd while taping ). But I have 2 receivers, each with a vcr - which means I can only double up, not triple up like before, BUT I have 3 wb feeds (eastern, mountain, pacific) and 2 UPNS (unfortunately both east coast). Most of my cable stations (i.e. sci-fi) are east coast feed, while local (fox, nbc, cbs, abc) are west coast feeds. So with the wonderful use of time zone staggering, I can actually tape EVERYTHING I want to watch with my set up. VERY VERY COOL!

What it requires of me (besides finding the time to watch the tapes - never watch when they're on because I hate commercials and have NO time to watch them) is to make sure the programmable receiver is set properly (the 8 slots aren't enough, but I get by ) and that the other vcr is set to record at the right times and that the receiver for that one is set at the right channel. It actually requires daily monitoring, and it's really hard for me to go out of town for more than a weekend at the peak of the fall season, because I have to brief my mom on what to do to make sure my system doesn't fail me while I'm gone. The pitfalls of being obsessive about seeing every episode of "my" shows, and of having just so darn many shows that are "mine!"

As to watching 2 shows at once - can't do it, don't want to do it. I wouldn't get to enjoy them as much. But for the ones that don't require that much attention (DC, Felicity, W&G, O&A for example) I read magazines that I usually don't have time for while I'm watching - Entertainment Weekly and In Style usually. The rest I really like to "watch" the whole time. I'm just a tv savage.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 09-25-01 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-25-01, 03:45 AM

Randomly, for those who wanted Buffy reruns during the weekend:

That's not FX's domain, but starting this weekend, local networks should be running Buffy eps on Saturdays and Sundays (My local WB affiliate's doing it here), for some bizarre reason, they're airing Season 1 eps on Saturday, and Season 3 eps on Sunday, starting from the premieres.

I'm hurtin' because I have to miss all of Angel, and the first half of Buffy due to classes, so I have to tape. Which means I get stuck without a way to watch Gilmore Girls.
Old 09-25-01, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by junkie
I dont think they are running them on the weekends, I know the one they show at 7pmEST will be on the next day at 4pm but I did not see anything about weekends on their website
Thank god for your post. I did not know this and it totally saves me. I'm a newbie to Buffy, but it's already my 3rd favorite show overall. Still, there will be some nights when I'm already taping something at 7pm on the spare tv. For example, when the new season of Buffy starts, I'll have the F/X Buffy, That 70's show, AND Dharma & Greg to choose from. Now I can watch Buffy, tape that 70's show, and tape the rerun of the F/X Buffy the next day! Dharma & Greg just will have to live without me. Anyway, the 4 o'clock re-airing is a lifesaver for me!

I am sooooo glad that I can get to see this show in all it's glory from the beginning. I first became aware of Alyson Hannigan from American Pie and I'm so glad she's on this show. Her hair was really long tonight and it wasn't as bright red.

This is the best!!!! I sill don't understand their choice of the Practice at 9pm but no-one's perfect....

Why isn't Buffy nominated for Emmys? That's just wrong. I'd put it right behind the Sopranos as Best Drama.
Old 09-25-01, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JaseXF3
Why isn't Buffy nominated for Emmys? That's just wrong. I'd put it right behind the Sopranos as Best Drama.
Because the Emmys are a load of crap, and Buffy's just way too good for them.

das
Old 09-25-01, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Ah, the days of being able to watch one thing and tape another. It made life easier to tape things (plus I got to use the fun picture in picture capability of my tv), but I couldn't get sci-fi or hbo, and I only had one WB and UPN, and everything was a west coast feed.

So now I'm in the realm of Dish watchers, which means I can only watch one thing at a time with each receiver (and must watch what is taping - though I can also watch a dvd while taping ). But I have 2 receivers, each with a vcr - which means I can only double up, not triple up like before, BUT I have 3 wb feeds (eastern, mountain, pacific) and 2 UPNS (unfortunately both east coast). Most of my cable stations (i.e. sci-fi) are east coast feed, while local (fox, nbc, cbs, abc) are west coast feeds. So with the wonderful use of time zone staggering, I can actually tape EVERYTHING I want to watch with my set up. VERY VERY COOL!

What it requires of me (besides finding the time to watch the tapes - never watch when they're on because I hate commercials and have NO time to watch them) is to make sure the programmable receiver is set properly (the 8 slots aren't enough, but I get by ) and that the other vcr is set to record at the right times and that the receiver for that one is set at the right channel. It actually requires daily monitoring, and it's really hard for me to go out of town for more than a weekend at the peak of the fall season, because I have to brief my mom on what to do to make sure my system doesn't fail me while I'm gone. The pitfalls of being obsessive about seeing every episode of "my" shows, and of having just so darn many shows that are "mine!"

As to watching 2 shows at once - can't do it, don't want to do it. I wouldn't get to enjoy them as much. But for the ones that don't require that much attention (DC, Felicity, W&G, O&A for example) I read magazines that I usually don't have time for while I'm watching - Entertainment Weekly and In Style usually. The rest I really like to "watch" the whole time. I'm just a tv savage.
I went with DirecTV, which screws me on UPN and WB for now (have to get them locally), but gives me a dual tuner TiVo. Add a cheap 2nd receiver, and I've got 3 unique DirecTV feeds.

With watching 2 shows, I don't do it with my favorites, but I'm also a guy ... which means huge sports fan. If nothing else, I'm watching the game on one TV and my favorite show on another. Sit-coms also split well. I watch way more than 8 hours of TV in a given day, and I spend 8 hours at work and 8 hours sleeping, so something has to give. The best part is killing the commercials on TiVo. Double up two shows, flipping and buffering during commercials. You'll be lagged by about 20 minutes at the end of the hour, but the next show has already buffered, so you can now watch it without commercials.

Life before TiVo is a scary place.

das
Old 09-25-01, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Because the Emmys are a load of crap, and Buffy's just way too good for them.

das
I hope that you are kidding or being sarcastic, because otherwise that's a really ignorant comment.

All the complaining about award shows aside, all of these people who work so hard at putting shows like Buffy on freely admit that they want to at least be nominated for Emmys.

Critical praise is great, but Emmy recognition is a big deal and I've read that the cast and producers do feel slighted by this major oversight. Many journalists have also brought out the fact that this show deserves not only praise for the show as a whole (and I don't think any show right now is as high quality week to week aside from the Sopranos and that includes the West Wing), but also for the cast. Sarah Michelle Gellar may not have any big movie hits yet, but she does an absolutely spot-on job with Buffy and the role is not easy. She's tough, feminine, sarcastic, flat out funny, smart, and she delivers in a way I can't see anyone else having done with the part. I also think Alyson Hannigan, among others, deserves AT LEAST supporting nominations.

Again, maybe you were just kidding because you are a fan of the show, but it definately deserves the Emmys and getting them would also bring more attention to some of the other really good shows that aren't on HBO, Fox, CBS, ABC (Still a network, right?), and NBC.

Anyway you slice it, even if you hate the Awards shows, I still can't possibly see how Buffy isn't among the top 5 in the drama category. It totally defies logic and I hope it changes this year.

Last edited by JaseXF3; 09-25-01 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-25-01, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get it. You just defended my case perfectly for why the Emmys are a load of crap.

They completely ignore anything that's not in the mainstream. It's great that they've hopped on the HBO bandwagon, because it is the best channel on the tuner, but that's no excuse. They're just now figuring out that The Daily Show is on TV, and they pretty much ignore everything else on cable.

Buffy has been one of the finest programs on television for years, and for it to escape nomination is really pathetic. Sarah Michelle Gellar is an incredible actress, but the Emmy "people" can't see past the fact that it's a genre show. In fact, it takes a near act of God to get a genre show into the Emmys. TNG finally hit on its 7th season, but 7th season was certainly not its best. And The X-Files hung around for a while, but that was just pop hoopla that got it in there. Aside from that, genre shows are all but ignored.

So, yeah, I was just joking when I said they're a load of crap. But to be fair, in many cases, they are.

das
Old 09-25-01, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

ROFLMAO! I'm in the exact same boat, das Monkey! Or at least one close enough that I too feel that I'm going to explode. Now watching Farscape and Buffy from the beginning (combined that's 9 hours a week), plus new eps of Buffy, Angel, Roswell, Gilmore Girls, Charmed, Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Andromeda, Law and Order, West Wing, Friends, Will & Grace, Ally McBeal, the Practice, X-Files, Dark Angel, That 70's Show, NYPD Blue, and Once and Again.

Oh, and there's the shows that don't coincide with the regular seasons, Farscape, Sex and the City, and Witchblade.

And can't forget the new ones starting this fall: Smallville, Justice League, 24, Enterprise, Mutant X, Alias, The Agency, Philly, Crossing Jordan, Wolf Lake and Jeremiah (early 2002).

Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to watch them all when they're all on at the same time. For now, season premieres are spread out enough that I don't really have to freak out until the beginning of November, but I'm gonna need a system worked out before then.
It is kinda off topic but I just wanted to let you know that 24 has been pulled from the networks because of the WTC attack.
Old 09-25-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Happy as Hell to have Buffy on weekdays, especially since I've only seen a few scattered episodes throughout the first two seasons. Only thing that kills me, is it rounds off a three hour block of tv, Dragonball at 5. Dragonball Z at 6, News Radio at 6.30, which kills me to sit in front of the tube that long.

Does anyone know if FX is running the episodes straight through?, or will they show the 1st season and then rerun it once more before showing the second season?
Old 09-25-01, 02:18 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist

Does anyone know if FX is running the episodes straight through?, or will they show the 1st season and then rerun it once more before showing the second season?

I was wondering the same thing, because there's only 12 episodes in the first season...

I'd never seen the pilot before and it was quite a shock to see Darla in the opening scene. And Buffy's funny non-chalant attitude towards Angel.
Old 09-25-01, 02:39 PM

I do believe that they are running them straight through. I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
Old 09-25-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It never occurred to me that FX might not show at least seasons 1-3 or 4 in order right away. I sincerely hope that they don't repeat a season or something like that in between. I've never seen any episodes from 1 or 2 and only a few from 3, so those are at the top of my list, but I know many haven't seen any, so truly FX should try to "catch up" by showing seasons 1-5 in order, since season 6 starts soon.

As for Darla being in the first ep - I too was shocked. At first, before they got into the story, I assumed she was cast as a random character and wasn't cast as Darla until later...but that was quickly corrected. I was also surprised to see Angel in the first ep - very cool to see the dynamics of the cast so early on.

(OT: And I believe that 24 wasn't pulled completely, just delayed to fix some things due to WTC and to not be insensitive (content just doesn't seem quite "right" this soon) - premiere is set for Nov. 6 as of now.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.