Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is DOWNLOADING TV Show Episodes ILLEGAL ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is DOWNLOADING TV Show Episodes ILLEGAL ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Just because something's against the law doesn't mean that law is enforced.
I have never heard of that replaytv server thing, maybe the suits or lawyers haven't either. Or it's just a low priority.
P2P is the big target now, there are plenty of other methods to transfer files, that aren't quite as visible or as trafficked.

That does sound pretty cool though. There's basically a network of RTV units? If Joe in CA has a show I want, can I just grab it, or does he have to 'share' or 'send' it?
Old 08-01-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Okay, tell me how this is any different.

Scenario A:
I recored a show via DVR and replay it through the DVR. I "time shift" through the commercials. Personal Use.

I then transfer the show off of the DVR and back it up on my computer (which I am able to do via firewire since that was mandated to be activated).

Scenario B:
I recored a show via DVR and replay it through the DVR. I "time shift" through the commercials. Personal Use. However, I accidentally delete the show.

I then download a copy onto my computer to view through a media player and then "time shift" as I watch through the commercials.

Go to town.
Old 08-01-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Just because something's against the law doesn't mean that law is enforced.
I have never heard of that replaytv server thing, maybe the suits or lawyers haven't either. Or it's just a low priority.
P2P is the big target now, there are plenty of other methods to transfer files, that aren't quite as visible or as trafficked.

That does sound pretty cool though. There's basically a network of RTV units? If Joe in CA has a show I want, can I just grab it, or does he have to 'share' or 'send' it?
I'm always surprised to hear from fellow DVR users (particularly TiVo users) that they haven't heard of RTV. When I was looking into buying one, I looked into what kinds were offered. I even purchased a TiVo to test it out. I found that I liked the RTV's features much better.

To answer you question: You can view the list of shows saved on many thousands of RTV user's HDs from around the country (and perhaps around the world?). Once you find the show you want, you make a request. The user has to push a few buttons on his menu screen and the show is sent. You then have to accept the send and then the show beings to download.

I have found it to be very useful in times when the DVR does something funny and doesn't record the show, when the cable goes out, when the show gets pre-empted on the east coast by some weather or breaking news, or I didn't update the program guide and the network changed the showtime last minute.
Old 08-01-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Runner--Cool. Though I do have and love my DVR, it's not a TiVo, it's a Scientific Atlanta HDDVR though Time Warner, so I know it doesn't have some features TiVo or RTV has, but at the time, it was the only HDDVR [and probably still the only 'affordable' one]. I've probably heard the name ReplayTV but didn't know much about it. I started with a DishNetworkDVR, then when we moved we got cable and got their DVR.
That networking does sound quite cool, but the rest of it doesn't sound like much of an improvement over what I already have--and I don't 'follow' enough shows to really get full use even out of my current DVR. I also looked at the Slingbox since someone posted about it here, but while cool, it doesn't sound very 'useful' for me.

Superman: Ethically? I don't see a difference. Legally? B is illegal, you are downloading an 'illegal' copy of the file--whoever posted it or is sharing it, should not be doing that.
And, of course, it's much more difficult to 'get caught' doing the first one, whereas it's very easy to get caught doing the second. If people just traded CDRs with copied music, I don't think there would have been as big a hubbub; but put it online and send out 100 copies, it's very visible and very easy to track.
Old 08-01-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
DVRs are different.... users record individually for individual use

Internet = vehicle of mass distribution
Old 08-01-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This debate seems to come up every few months on DVDTalk. The short answer is this - there is exactly one thing you can do that is legal with your VCR/DVR/TiVo. That thing is to record a program for later viewing. That has been held to be fair use by the Supreme Court. Everything else, including downloading, burning shows to DVD after editing out the commercials, saving a High Def movie on your DVR forever, etc. is not fair use and is not legal.
Old 08-01-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Everything else, including downloading,
Sure, now you're distributing it, or converting it. Makes sense.

burning shows to DVD after editing out the commercials,
hmm...how is this different from recording onto VHS while hitting 'pause' during the commercials? Or is that not fair-use either?

saving a High Def movie on your DVR forever, etc. is not fair use and is not legal.
okay...why is this one on this list? If I record a movie for later viewing, and later is, oh, two years down the road [which isn't impossible, I have had an HD movie on my dvr since last May], that shouldn't violate the letter of the law. Unless I don't have HBO [or whatever] anymore, and I guess it could be argued my 'license' to time-shift that movie expired when I stopped paying for the movie channel I got it from.
Old 08-01-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
hmm...how is this different from recording onto VHS while hitting 'pause' during the commercials? Or is that not fair-use either?
It isn't any different. Recording onto VHS while hitting pause is also illegal if the end-product is meant for librarying or archiving purposes.

okay...why is this one on this list? If I record a movie for later viewing, and later is, oh, two years down the road [which isn't impossible, I have had an HD movie on my dvr since last May], that shouldn't violate the letter of the law. Unless I don't have HBO [or whatever] anymore, and I guess it could be argued my 'license' to time-shift that movie expired when I stopped paying for the movie channel I got it from.
It is on the list because, like librarying, downloading and distributing a file over peer-to-peer networks, it is also not fair use. If the program is recording for lawful purposes, the fact that it sits on the DVR for a long time does not create a problem. I am talking about keeping the copies on the DVR indefinitely, much in the same way that one might burn the episode to a DVD.
Old 08-30-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a similar letter from Comcast this morning. I was using Bittorrent too:

Subject: Notice of Claim of Copyright Infringement.
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:16:38 +0000

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number: null
Report Date/Time: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:30:15 -0400

MY NAME
MY ADDRESS

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized
agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made
on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright
owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your
Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works
identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast
reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner
that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of
Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination
of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast
in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Legal Response Center
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
650 Centerton Road
Moorestown, NJ 08057 U.S.A.
Phone: (856) 317-7272
Fax: (856) 317-7319
E-mail: [email protected]

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy,
procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by
clicking on the Terms of Service link at ht tp://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Legal Response Center

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Infringing Work: Deadwood

Filepath: Deadwood.S03E12.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi.torrent
Filename: Deadwood.S03E12.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi
First Found: 29 Aug 2006 00:52:31 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 29 Aug 2006 00:52:31 EDT (GMT -0400)
Filesize: 358,516k
IP Address: XXXXXXXX
IP Port: XXXX
Network: BTPeers
Protocol: BitTorrent

Now, the fact that the Incident Number says NULL made me think its nothing but a warning. I really see no difference between this and using a TIVO or VCR. If it was out on DVD I would have just as well rented it.

I did find these two threads that really helped answer a lot of questions about the email and the overall issue as a whole:

http://www2.dslreports.com/forum/rem...ngement+letter

http://isohunt.com/forum/viewtopic.p...d85717205aad90