Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: The Criterion Channel -- streaming service

No, it's still 2.0
Old 05-11-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Has Criterion said anything about any work they're doing to update the apps? It feels like it hasn't changed at all in the first year, and it's missing what I would think are 'obvious' features for the company; specifically filtering by country or director. It just kind of feels like they dumped the app out because it was good enough and are either too restricted to update it in any meaningful way, or don't have the resources to do so. Though apparently the Apple/Subtitles issue was fixed, so clearly there's some work going on there.
I guess that must be a limitation only in the apps. The browser version has a good filtering option for exactly what you're requesting.

As they've definitely improved the playback engine for my other complaints (delay to switch to HD, jumping back and forth by X seconds, etc.) my only current complaints are the inability to resume, if you haven't finished a movie, and the lack of a watch history. The resume issue is baffling, as there is a "Continue watching" section that has 5 entries in it, but I don't have any way to get rid of those, nor does it add new ones if I leave in the middle of watching something.
Old 05-11-20, 02:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

^ yeah definitely the apps (phone, Roku, etc.). I really don't want to have to go to a "real browser" just to input search filters that should be standard at this point. I'm curious, though, what the userbase split is between using the desktop browser vs. all the other apps. I would think most people are using anything but the browser, but maybe not.
Old 05-11-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do have it on my FireStick, but I usually watch in my mancave, so I've got my TV hooked up to my PC, thus the browser.
Old 05-13-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
As they've definitely improved the playback engine for my other complaints (delay to switch to HD, jumping back and forth by X seconds, etc.) my only current complaints are the inability to resume, if you haven't finished a movie, and the lack of a watch history. The resume issue is baffling, as there is a "Continue watching" section that has 5 entries in it, but I don't have any way to get rid of those, nor does it add new ones if I leave in the middle of watching something.
This must be an issue with the Browser because the "Continue watching" for my iPhone and AppleTV apps works well. Do you have the Criterion Channel on an app that you can test it out?
Old 05-13-20, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
This must be an issue with the Browser because the "Continue watching" for my iPhone and AppleTV apps works well. Do you have the Criterion Channel on an app that you can test it out?
Good point. I may have the continues from when I used my Firestick to watch. I'll check it out, on that.
Old 05-25-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been trying to finish off the Rita Hayworth movies from the Channel before it leaves at the end of the month and to be honest, I have never seen her movies with the exception of "Only Angels Have Wings". I had no idea she was such an accomplished singer and dancer since I wasn't aware of her background.

So far I have watched:
- Only Angels Have Wings
- Gilda (This movie is just okay but she looks amazing in this)
- The Lady from Shanghai
- You'll Never Get Rich (the very fact that she was able to keep up with Fred Astaire is amazing)
- Cover Girl

I'm trying to finish off Strawberry Blonde, Salome, You Were Never Lovelier, Separate Tables, Pal Joey and Angels Over Broadway. Which one should be my first priority?
Old 05-25-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't follow up, but you were correct that the 'Continue watching' feature works with the app on my Firestick.

It's very frustrating that all these features are not common across platforms. I watched the first 10 minutes of a movie, the other night, just to see if I was interested (which I was), and the next day I couldn't remember what it was called. There was no way to find out, so I had to search based on what little I knew of it. I did find it (Good Morning - Yasujiro Ozu), but it's annoying to not have that feature.

My latest watches:

The Daytrippers - 1996 - Greg Mottola
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - 1974 - Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Until the End of the World (4:48 cut) - 1991 - Wim Wenders
Katzelmacher - 1969 - Rainer Werner Fassbinder
The Big Heat - 1953 - Fritz Lang
Experiment in Terror - 1962 - Blake Edwards
Angst isst Seele auf (short) - 2002 - Shahbaz Noshir
Repulsion - 1965 - Roman Polanski
Vernon, Florida - 1981 - Errol Morris
Little Fugitive - 1953 - Ray Ashley, Morris Engel, Ruth Orkin
Bunny Lake Is Missing - 1965 - Otto Preminger
Street of Crocodiles (short) - 1986 - The Quay Brothers
Old 05-25-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would suggest using the "My List" feature so you don't start searching for the title. That's what I do if I see something that I might like.

I watched "The Big Heat" earlier in the month and loved it. Much better movie than Gilda (even with the stunning Rita Hayworth in it).
Old 05-25-20, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I've added it to My List, now. I remember to do that at times, but didn't think of it on this occasion (and too many others).

And I agree with you that the Big Heat was excellent!
Old 05-31-20, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm suddenly seeing this, when trying to watch via my browser. It happens when I watch on my TV (where I normally watch), or on my main PC monitor.

Anyone else having issues?

It works fine via the app on my Firestick, but I definitely prefer the browser navigation.

Old 05-31-20, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Came back to this a month ago. I noticed the new Jackie Chan collection with Police Story 1 and 2, which I do have on BD and some of his older work. I will have to check out some of those.
Old 06-01-20, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
I'm suddenly seeing this, when trying to watch via my browser. It happens when I watch on my TV (where I normally watch), or on my main PC monitor.

Anyone else having issues?

It works fine via the app on my Firestick, but I definitely prefer the browser navigation.
I just tested it out on my FireFox browser and it's working for me Andicus. What browser are you using? Maybe it has something to do with that.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Came back to this a month ago. I noticed the new Jackie Chan collection with Police Story 1 and 2, which I do have on BD and some of his older work. I will have to check out some of those.
I watched all of the movies in this collection with the exception of Fearless Hyena 2 for obvious reasons. My recommendations will be Fearless Hyena and The Young Master as they hold up the best for me if you don't count Police Story 1 and 2. Spiritual Kung Fu and Half of Loaf of Kung Fu are the ones that fares the worst for me. I just didn't care for it much anymore. I wouldn't call "My Lucky Stars" a Jackie Chan movie and some of the jokes goes on for far too long. This is an ensemble movie with Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and others.

My hope is that Criterion Channel can at least pick up the slack and starts showing some classic Hong Kong movies on their service as this is sorely lacking in the streaming services. I love the Criterion Channel as I don't have TCM on cable (because of pricing) and HBO Max and their classic library won't be available to us, Canadians.
Old 06-01-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also they just updated the list of what's leaving at the end of June. Films from the Rita Hayworth collection (what remains since most of them left yesterday), the Jean Arthur collection, Classic Columbia Noirs, Luis Buñuel movies, Gary Cooper collection, Nights of Cabiria, Shampoo, Foxy Brown and others.
Plan your viewing accordingly...
Old 06-01-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just tested it out on my FireFox browser and it's working for me Andicus. What browser are you using? Maybe it has something to do with that.
Thanks! i appreciate the validation. I'm running Chrome. I'd like to blame that, but I'm running the exact same release on my laptop, and it works fine. My laptop is Win 10, my desktop is Win 7 Pro. Of course, the laptop doesn't have any HDMI cabling, but I'd be surprised if a cable was suddenly unable to handle HDCP, yet still work properly.

Also they just updated the list of what's leaving at the end of June. Films from the Rita Hayworth collection (what remains since most of them left yesterday), the Jean Arthur collection, Classic Columbia Noirs, Luis Buñuel movies, Gary Cooper collection, Nights of Cabiria, Shampoo, Foxy Brown and others.
Plan your viewing accordingly...
Yeah, a lot of content doesn't stick around very long. I've gotten into the habit of viewing a lot of 'leaving this month' films.
Old 06-01-20, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the Criterion Channel has disabled the screencasting feature now. It would be a good question to ask them about.
Old 06-01-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just found a lot of similar complaints on Reddit. Working on May 25th, and not working on the 28th, with the same setup.

They must've updated their software and it's tripping a lot of people up.

Some others are also indicating success with Firefox, but not everyone.

I tried a couple of utilities to test for HDCP compliance, and both passed.

Weird and frustrating. I'll contact them, but be prepared to be annoyed, as others just received responses that their setup is not HDCP compliant. I.e. typical canned responses.

*edit to add* I just checked with Firefox, and it works fine. It must be something with Chrome and Win 7.

I'll use this to make my usual complaint... Content protection blows. It always screws the people that are accessing things legitimately.

Last edited by andicus; 06-01-20 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, a follow up to this...

The issue with Chrome has been a blessing in disguise. Running with Firefox has the benefits I like from the browser version, as well as the FireTV App.

In particular, it supports 'Continue watching' which Chrome did not, plus all the other features missing from the app, like searching by filtering and sorting. Hard to believe that's not available on the app.

And, of course, a keyboard interface.

Thanks again, LorenzoL.

Oh, I also noticed that there's a difference when going fullscreen on Firefox... This box comes up:

whereas the box that comes up on Chrome doesn't mention vhx.tv.

At first I thought they weren't using Vimeo, like Chrome does, and that that was related to the problem. But, going to the website, it redirects to Vimeo OTT.
Old 06-02-20, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad that is working for you again Andicus.
The following users liked this post:
andicus (06-04-20)
Old 06-09-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the movies I watched last month before it left the Channel:

The Strawberry Blonde (1941)
This was one of the lesser Rita Hayworth movies as the spotlight is on James Cagney and Olivia De Havilland. I didn't really care for this movie.

Ghost World (2001)
It took me so long to watch this and I'm glad I did before it left the Channel. I find the relationship with Steve Buscemi and Thora Birch unnerving but everything else, I loved.

Pal Joey (1957)
Sinatra playing a unsympathetic kind of guy with Kim Novak and Rita Hayworth after him. I loved the songs.

Now these are the movies leaving this month:

Death Race 2000 (1975)
Boobies and violence. Rewatched this after so many years. I still found it enjoyable and fun in a cheesy 1970's kind of way.

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972)
I didn't get it. Are my movie opinions worthless now? These two movies are highly rated and loved from fans of Buñuel but I didn't find it amazing. It's not like I was completely lost but is something that I might have to re-watch and read about it. I'm still trying to figure out how to write the review for both of the movies on Letterboxd.

Ocean's Eleven (1960)
Is it just me or the remake so much better? I found this boring and didn't really care for any of the characters.
Old 06-29-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day to catch some of these movies...

https://www.criterionchannel.com/leaving-june-30
Old 06-29-20, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is what's coming in July 2020 from them:

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ly-2020-lineup
Old 06-29-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Looks like a U.S. list (based on the Olympic stuff that we never seem to get), but hopefully we get Young Ahmed. I've really enjoyed the Dardenne Brother's stuff that I've seen. I'm slightly pessimistic since I have seen where some of their work has been available in the U.S. but not in Canada, previously. Hopefully that's not the case, this time.

My latest watches are:

Good Morning (Ohayô) - 1959 - Yasujirô Ozu
The Juniper Tree - 1990 - Nietzchka Keene
Wendy and Lucy - 2008 - Kelly Reichardt
Luminous Motion - 1998 - Bette Gordon
La Captive - 2000 - Chantal Ackerman
Le Havre - 2011 - Aki Kaurismäki
The Limey - 1999 - Steven Soderbergh
Phase IV - 1974 - Saul Bass
All or Nothing - 2002 - Mike Leigh

Phase IV was interesting in that I didn't know Saul Bass actually directed a film. It was also a pretty good sci-fi story.
Old 06-30-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, the list is American. I’m hoping that the Olympiads will be shown in Canada since is a big feature for the month. Also High Heels will be shown in July and really hoping that it will be shown on the Canadian site too as this is an Almodóvar movie, I haven’t seen.

The Limey was great. I never seen it before and I absolutely loved it. Terence Stamp was awesome as Wilson with Luis Guzman, Leslie Ann Warren and Peter Fonda rounding up a great supporting cast. I felt like Fonda was playing an older version of one of his Hippy movie characters.
Old 07-02-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As predicted, FFS. So frustrating. Whenever I see this, I figure someone in Canada has acquired the rights to the content, so I check on justwatch.com, and nope... Just shows Apple TV and Criterion Channel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.