Deleted unrelated wiki from a different thread
Print Wikipost

Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 368 Likes on 277 Posts
Re: Movies Anywhere - News, Rumors & Discussion

The newer Lion King showed up for me last night, still have the old one also. Of course both of them have the wrong opening. Laserdisc is the most accurate edition available.
Old 11-14-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 156 Likes on 123 Posts

For those that had previously seen movies you had in SD on some providers (like iTunes) showing up as HD in the Movies Anywhere site / app / Roku / VUDU / etc, you may want to check. All of the ones that were that way for me now show for me on VUDU as SD. As well in purchase history, it looks like they were recently put on VUDU despite the fact I did it back in OCT when I first signed on to Movies Anywhere.
Old 11-14-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Yeah, that's exactly what happened for me, for all my iTunes conversions it seems.
Old 11-14-17, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 895 Likes on 406 Posts

I think it is just VUDU, at least so far for me. The Roku Google Play app now indicates if it is HD, and I checked a few on there and they are still HD even though they changed on Vudu. My iTunes has not changed, they are still SD there (and I checked the library by modified date). As long as they are HD on MA or somewhere, I'm fine.
Only ones I really care about are the Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, X-men trilogies and maybe a couple of others. According to my Account history in Vudu ~40 converted to SD today.
Does MA even have SD?
Old 11-14-17, 10:00 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

i thought something was weird that they were boosted to top of my list. so what now? will they revert? is this an error that will be corrected? do we have to call?
Old 11-14-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the ones that are SD in iTunes (if you're seeing them that way), you can do the following to make sure you have the best quality version available -- at least from iTunes.

1. In your iTunes library, check the filesize of the previously downloaded movie.
2. Delete the offline version of the film from your iTunes library (if you downloaded it). In the second prompt, keep the file (don't delete to recycle bin/trash).
3. After deleting the file from your iTunes library, you'll now see the option to download it and it will show the size of the file.
4. If the filesize is larger than the version that you had previously deleted, then re-download the film in HD. If not, then add the physical digital file you previously downloaded back to your iTunes library.

I did this with about 100 titles that instantly upgraded to HD. I don't know if maybe they were only originally available in SD and that's what I originally downloaded, or if by associating my account with Movies Anywhere upgraded all of my films to HD.

I'd rather download them and have them offline, just in case for some reason the files revert back to SD or some other thing I can't control.

The only films that I still have in SD are Titanic, Kick-Ass and Skyfall. (Paramount and Lionsgate.) I'm hoping that if/when they join Movies Anywhere, that those files will be upgraded to HD in iTunes as well.

I wish that studios would make documentaries about the films that they allow as extras available for download or purchasing so that they could be downloaded. I'm talking about docs like the one for "The Shining" made by Ms. Kubrick, the 4+ hour Blade Runner doc, 70+ minute doc for Magnolia.

Studios could make more money if they made extras available for purchase separately, rather than just making them available to stream. Fans of films would like to have the digital copies because you never know when rights expire and extras are removed from streaming sites like iTunes. Throw the docs up before the film's home video release to promote the home video release. Make 'em $5. How many of us that loved Blade Runner 2049 or Dunkirk wouldn't pay $5 for an hour+ documentary on those films? I'm thankful they are available via streaming, but sure wouldn't mind having them offline.

Has anyone asked Paramount or Lionsgate why they haven't joined Movies Anywhere? (Or vice versa.) Is it a possibility or will they never join?

Last edited by suomynona; 11-14-17 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Paramount/Lionsgate
Old 11-14-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 895 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by suomynona
For the ones that are SD in iTunes (if you're seeing them that way), you can do the following to make sure you have the best quality version available -- at least from iTunes.
So, did they eventually port back to vudu as HD? I tried a couple (former DMA ones, Iron Man 2, Capt America) and it appears to work. As soon as I deleted from my library, I got the HD icon next to it.
I guess you are SOL if you didn't download them in the first place? When most of my SD movies were acquired, my internet sucked so I probably only have about 3/4 of them downloaded. If they came from a disc to digital DVD then I have those downloaded which might be most of them. I've never done an XML redeem without a disc which I've seen a lot of people were saying that's what they had go to SD.

As for other studios joining, who knows. I would think once UV starts disappearing more and more, they'll join. I've heard some say there was an email/petition to try and get them to join.
Old 11-15-17, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was told by VUDU customer support that I needed to call Movies Anywhere about the titles that we're deleted and re-added. I didn't have time yet to do that. You may have some luck there getting things back to HD.
Old 11-15-17, 04:45 AM

Received 559 Likes on 395 Posts

Based on what I've heard from other users, Movies Anywhere is aware of the problem and is working to fix it. They hope to have it fixed in a few days.

This is a widespread problem. Lots of people are talking about it and contacting Vudu & Movies Anywhere customer support. So those companies are obviously aware of what happened.

I seem to recall a similar problem earlier this year with Disney Movies Anywhere. It took them a couple days, but they eventually got it fixed. Hopefully this will all be cleared up soon.
Old 11-15-17, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i thought something was weird that they were boosted to top of my list. so what now? will they revert? is this an error that will be corrected? do we have to call?
Actually, if you check your History in VUDU, I think you will find that the new SD stuff from yesterday is an additional entitlement pushed through MA, and that you'll find the original HDX entitlement from the day you linked your iTunes account to MA back in October.

I don't know what this means for new SD (XML) titles you might redeem on iTunes though, if it will push through MA as HD still.

Edit: Actually, it looks like all those SD titles were upgraded to HD in iTunes also, which was not the case before. The only SD titles I have left are Paramount titles, and SD Ultraviolet titles that came in through VUDU.
Old 11-15-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had other titles that were deleted and re-added which did not change to SD. Most of the titles that went SD were SD originally at iTunes. It is all bizarre.

The big thing is many of these also were deleted from my UV locker and have not returned to myUV.

Something else to keep a watch about.

Last edited by b2net; 11-15-17 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 06:02 PM

Looks like a fix is being rolled out by Movies Anywhere. My Vudu movies just reverted back to HDX. And I've heard from others that their movies were fixed earlier this afternoon. So if your movies haven't been fixed yet, give it a couple hours.
Old 11-15-17, 06:04 PM

This has been added to the Movies Anywhere help section:

Why is the movie I redeemed in standard definition (SD)?

Movies redeemed at Movies Anywhere or connected digital retailers prior to November 14, 2017, using a standard definition (SD) digital copy code were being incorrectly recorded as high definition (HD) transactions. These codes redeemed before Nov. 14 will remain in HD. Starting November 14, 2017, all new SD transactions will be properly recorded as SD transactions. If you are unsure as to whether your digital movie code is SD or HD, please contact the customer care team for the specific studio that issued your digital movie code.

Disney, including Lucasfilm, Marvel, and Pixar: Visit https://www.disneystudioshelp.com/contact-dch.html

Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.: Email [email protected] or call (800) 860-2878

Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp.: Email [email protected] or call (888) 223-4369

Universal: Visit https://www.uphe.com/contact-support

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.: Email [email protected]
https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...definition-SD-
Old 11-15-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Ah, that's really a shame. Does that apply to new Disney XML movies entered too, which would convert to HD under DMA?
Old 11-15-17, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now I wonder if the ones that were deleted and re-added are considered pre or post Nov 14, hence will they be SD or HD... Hoping for HD....
Old 11-15-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Now I wonder if the ones that were deleted and re-added are considered pre or post Nov 14, hence will they be SD or HD... Hoping for HD....
Mine are back in HDX now.
Old 11-15-17, 08:39 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

back now.
Old 11-15-17, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang
Ah, that's really a shame. Does that apply to new Disney XML movies entered too, which would convert to HD under DMA?
Based on the rumors going around, from now on all iTunes XML codes and codes redeemed at Google Play will be SD.

I don't know if that info's accurate. I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you have an iTunes XML code that came from a Bluray, I would suggest contacting the studio's customer support and asking them to exchange it for a current Digital HD code. They might not be able to do anything. But I've heard of studios replacing old expired codes for new working ones. So it's worth a try.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 11-15-17 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-15-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I looked and discovered I had titles missing from Movies Anywhere (and from Amazon, iTunes, etc).

Spoke with Movies Anywhere Customer Support. They said there was a VUDU issue recently that removed and added back titles to people's accounts. This triggered Movies Anywhere to "remove" movies. Now that these are back with VUDU, MA didn't get a trigger to add them back. I now have a case with MA and if these are not back within a few days, I am to contact them back.

The Customer Support Agent was able to discover all the titles I had missing by seeing them as "refunds" in their system. Fortunate I only had 17 missing. (He mentioned one customer they helped who had 2900 missing.

I suggest if you think you may have anything missing, give them a call and ask if there are any titles in your MA locker that are listed as "refunded".

(I did mention to the Agent that once UV pushes the titles to the providers - ie VUDU, etc - and there is a glitch in the titles at the myUV locker, the titles are still at the providers. It sucks that MA will actually pull back the titles if they have something similar occur. He agreed and said he'd share my suggestion to make MA better)

Now to get the 14 titles I am missing myUV locker corrected (ugh). UV said it was a VUDU problem (sounds just like MA said). VUDU said it was a MA problem (the 14 missing for me are UV/MA titles). They are now missing from myUV yet showing up everywhere else.

Last edited by b2net; 11-15-17 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-16-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Turns out that VUDU will NOT be fixing my 14 missing titles as they determined those titles to not be missing.

Any title that came MA to VUDU and VUDU to UV was not supposed to do that yet most did since MA started. MA worked with VUDU to fix it so no MA movie would pass to UV via VUDU as well as remove any titles from our accounts that had previously gone MA to VUDU to UV.

Bottom line. We all likely have some titles that made it to UV from MA that we no longer have in UV.

It was also suggested that if we want to have titles in both UV and MA, the best solution is to redeem the codes with VUDU.

Now I am only waiting for the 16 MA titles to be restored to MA that were somehow dropped during this whole SD vs HD and MA vs UV work happened with VUDU and MA. Joy.
Old 11-16-17, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get DMR points for buying digital Disney movies anymore? It used to be 150 points for HD.
Old 11-17-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 368 Likes on 277 Posts

Digital is the future!
Old 11-17-17, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 668 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I don't get DMR points for buying digital Disney movies anymore? It used to be 150 points for HD.
You have to separately redeem the code on the DMR site:
https://disneymovierewards.go.com

Actually, the last time I entered a Disney code into the MA site, the redemption confirmation pop-up had a link to the DMR site that auto-entered the code and redeemed it for me. Likewise, the DMR redemption screen had a link to redeem it on MA.
Old 11-17-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 893 Likes on 417 Posts

^ He's talking about buying digitally though. Part of the new terms with MA is that when you buy digital, you don't get any DMR points. You can still get points if you buy the physical copy with a DMR/MA code.
Old 11-17-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All my titles that were originally SD, were downgraded and are now back to HDX in Vudu.

And now in iTunes, all those SDs have been duped and include a version with iTunes extras

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.