Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

I decided to get the $2 D+ deal. I was a returning customer so had some catching up to do.
Old 09-14-22, 07:57 PM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Get DMI points every month by linking your Disney+ account.

https://www.disneymovieinsiders.com/...unt/disneyplus
The following 3 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
Alan Smithee (09-15-22), MLBFan24 (09-16-22), story (10-14-22)
Old 09-15-22, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Sorta makes up for the upcoming price increase (though we’ll see if Kodi will still leave out the commercials if you don’t take that.)
Old 10-02-22, 04:46 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

This just hit my inbox:

WE'RE UPDATING OUR SUBSCRIBER AGREEMENT

In advance of the launch of the ad-supported tier on Disney+, we wanted to let you know that we are making some corresponding updates to our Subscriber Agreement. We also took the opportunity to streamline it to make it even easier to read and update some of our other terms.

These terms will apply as of today for new subscribers. For prior and existing subscribers, like you, these terms will be effective beginning on November 3, 2022 (and the prior version of our Subscriber Agreement will apply until then).

We encourage you to review the updated Subscriber Agreement in full and save a copy for your files. Once effective, it will govern your use and enjoyment of your Disney+ or ESPN+ subscription. We are as committed as ever to making sure you have an enjoyable streaming experience. Please visit our Help Center for more information about your subscription. We have highlighted some of the changes for your reference:

• We’re reflecting that with the launch of the ad-supported tier, subscriptions to our streaming services may be offered in tiers that differ, including with respect to features, pricing, and other factors.

• We’re clarifying that, by signing up for and using our streaming services, you consent to receive email and other forms of electronic notices and disclosures relating to your subscription and our services (for example, we will attempt to notify you via email before price changes).

• We’re explaining that subscriptions to the Disney Bundle will be subject to terms and disclosures presented during the sign-up and purchase process and related FAQs in our Help Center.

• We’re updating the arbitration agreement to be more specific about the procedures for resolving any disputes relating to your subscription and our services.
I have the basic D+ service for $7.99/month… looks like that will become the ad supported tier and the ad-free will be $10.99/month.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-02-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-03-22, 06:16 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I continue to wonder if any of us who did the 3-year deal will get some sort of offer...
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (10-03-22)
Old 10-03-22, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm still riding that out. Hard to believe it hasn't been three years yet!

That said, I have Verizon and they give Verizon customers the Disney bundle. Hope these changes don't have any effect on that as it is my plan once the 3-year initial buy runs out.
Old 10-03-22, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I continue to wonder if any of us who did the 3-year deal will get some sort of offer...
Well it is around black friday,but I suspect the only deal we'll get is that it expires right before the price hike so at least we get the old rate for a year.
Old 10-05-22, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Holding out hope but not optimistic that us 3 year subscribers get a special deal. I think that when it is all said and done that I will just end up buying the bundle that gets me Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ all add free. I think that maybe this bundle will be offered where we sign up for year and get a month free or perhaps $2-3 is discounted from a 1 year sign-up during the first 2-3 months or something like that. Any discount to the bundle price is better than nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inhumans99:
John Pannozzi (10-05-22), parker63 (10-05-22)
Old 10-14-22, 05:55 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Well, 3-year deal members, wonder no more. I got an email a few minutes ago detailing our "bargain," for year four...

We wanted to remind you that your Disney+ annual subscription will automatically renew for $79.99 on November 12, 2022. Your payment method on file will be charged unless you cancel your subscription before then.

If you no longer want access to Disney+ and wish to cancel your subscription, either call 888-905-7888, or go to account settings, select the subscription you would like to cancel and click “Cancel Subscription.”

We are always here to help. For any questions, please visit our Help Center
for more information.
That isn't very impressive to me. Maybe it's designed that way to get us thinking about the Disney + Hulu + ESPN stuff. I guess if the ad-free version is $11/month that's $132/year so $52 off. Still doesn't feel like an amazing deal and certainly didn't have much "thanks for being with us from the beginning" fanfare.

We have Hulu basic for $80/year and I'll be honest, I'm sick of my kids exposed to the ads. I'm definitely not going to ads for Disney+. If we stick with what we have, it's $80/year Hulu + $80/year Disney+ or $160 total. If we did the Hulu ad-free Disney ESPN then it's $240/year, or $80 extra. But the Hulu ad tier with Disney ad-free and ESPN is $168/year, so $8 for ESPN. I assume ESPN is just full of ads since it's live games and live shows. I still don't get why I wouldn't be able to watch local NBA games on it but whatever. Money's gotta money.

In the big picture the increases are not a lot for us, and I think we may find it worth going that route to become ad free, but that's getting expensive for a lot of people, if you ask me.

Last edited by story; 10-14-22 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-14-22, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
Well, 3-year deal members, wonder no more. I got an email a few minutes ago detailing our "bargain," for year four...

That isn't very impressive to me. Maybe it's designed that way to get us thinking about the Disney + Hulu + ESPN stuff. I guess if the ad-free version is $11/month that's $132/year so $52 off. Still doesn't feel like an amazing deal and certainly didn't have much "thanks for being with us from the beginning" fanfare.

We have Hulu basic for $80/year and I'll be honest, I'm sick of my kids exposed to the ads. I'm definitely not going to ads for Disney+. If we stick with what we have, it's $80/year Hulu + $80/year Disney+ or $160 total. If we did the Hulu ad-free Disney ESPN then it's $240/year, or $80 extra. But the Hulu ad tier with Disney ad-free and ESPN is $168/year, so $8 for ESPN. I assume ESPN is just full of ads since it's live games and live shows. I still don't get why I wouldn't be able to watch local NBA games on it but whatever. Money's gotta money.

In the big picture the increases are not a lot for us, and I think we may find it worth going that route to become ad free, but that's getting expensive for a lot of people, if you ask me.
That "bargain" is basically regular price because the price hikes haven't kicked in yet.

The best deal is obviously the bundle, but there's no annual price which I don't get... I guess like Netflix they think their service is good enough that they don't need an annual price to lock people in.
Old 10-14-22, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, just got the same thing. Not really a deal at all, seems like regular price.
(I actually had a renewal come in today for a magazine, saying it would be full price upon renewal. I clicked through the cancel, and it immediately said "Wait a minute, do you still want your 50% off intro price that you had last year?" I said Yes. SiriusXM as well, when your renewal comes up, it's actually built in to the phone IVR now to let you renew at a big discount rather than cancelling.)
Everything I've seen about Disney is there is no way they will be offering deals soon. I am open to being wrong on that though. The streamers are starting to struggle.
I did the math and it looks like the Disney bundle on Hulu (with ads) is cheaper than Hulu and D+ annual, so I'll probably due that. Don't care at all about ESPN.
I was wondering about the lack of annual as well. Either as you say they don't they need it, or maybe they just don't want an overwhelming number of options.
Streaming is getting more and more expensive. It's not yet to cable/satellite pricing, but getting there. And unless you sign up for a year, there's no contract term - yet. I'm definitely at the point where I will let some annual subs cancel, and review the monthlies as well.
Old 10-14-22, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think there's even an option for Disney+ ad free and Hulu with ads (post December 8). How much did you see it for?
There is a
Disney plus with ads and Hulu with ads for 10 bucks a month.
Disney+ (ads), Hulu(ads), ESPN+: 13 a month
Disney+ (ad free), Hulu(ads) and ESPN+: 14 a month going up to 15 a month (separately without espn this would be 10.99 + 7.99 so cheaper just to get ESPN+ and never watch it unless you are grandfathered into the the old Disney+ annual plan)
Disney+ (ad free), Hulu (ad free), ESPN+: 20 bucks a month, price not changing (separately without espn 10.99 + 14.99)
Old 10-14-22, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry, yeah, I was looking at the 13.99 bundle - Hulu with ads, ESPN, and D+ which currently says ad-free in the bundle description.
Maybe that'll change Dec 8 to be an ad-version, that's just what it's showing me in my current Hulu profile.
Old 10-14-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Sorry, yeah, I was looking at the 13.99 bundle - Hulu with ads, ESPN, and D+ which currently says ad-free in the bundle description.
Maybe that'll change Dec 8 to be an ad-version, that's just what it's showing me in my current Hulu profile.
Ah, gotcha, I thought you were talking about getting some kind of bundle without ESPN+. If you want Hulu and Disney+ they make it cheaper by design to bundle it with ESPN+.

And that bundle will remain ad free for Disney but will go up by a buck.

I think I'm going to grandfather in for a year and maybe do the bundle next year. If there was a way for them to get the grandfathered annual and pay extra for the bundle, I would, but IIRC they don't do that.
Old 10-14-22, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

My annual hulu with ads expired in August so I was going to do the bundle (no ads) in November when the 3 year prepay expired. I was really tired of the hulu ads. What I discovered last month is that if I sign up for the bundle now along with the bundle discount, it discounts the prepaid Disney at the regular monthly rate so that the hulu (no ads)/ESPN+ portion was actually cheaper ($12) than the hulu no ads was by itself ($13).

I got the same $79.99 email, but my renewal next month on Disney+ still lists at $69.99. Obviously I'll monitor that, but based on my scheduled future hulu withdrawals it appears to be cheaper to sign up for the bundle then take the annual Disney+ plan which deducts the regular monthly fee from the bundle.
Old 10-14-22, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I get Hulu with Ads through Sprint so I will just re-up D+ at the current price.

Funny aside : My daughter's friend works at Disneyland. They give every employee a pass that allows them to bring up to three additional friends with them for free entry to the park up to 16 times a year. They can, if they so choose, surrender that pass in exchange for.... One Year of Disney+ (ad free)! Shockingly, some people do apparently take Disney up of that offer.
Old 10-14-22, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I barely watch hulu because I have ads, and I only paid a buck for it. I'm not paying significantly more for hulu with ads so it's either the ad free bundle or no hulu (unless they do another black friday deal)
Old 10-14-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I barely watch hulu because I have ads, and I only paid a buck for it. I'm not paying significantly more for hulu with ads so it's either the ad free bundle or no hulu (unless they do another black friday deal)
You’re missing a great documentary on the history of the Lakers.

Yeah I know your a Clip show fan.
Old 10-14-22, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
You’re missing a great documentary on the history of the Lakers.

Yeah I know your a Clip show fan.
Oh is it any good? I'll watch it.
Old 10-14-22, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Oh is it any good? I'll watch it.
Yes it’s amazing there is a thread. It’s a 10 hour series. I’m surprised you didn’t know it existed.

I was surprised you and Decker didn’t watch it.
Old 10-14-22, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yes it’s amazing there is a thread. It’s a 10 hour series. I’m surprised you didn’t know it existed.

I was surprised you and Decker didn’t watch it.
Oh I know it existed (and there are ads all over LA about it) I just get confused between that and the maligned HBO max series (which I also didn't watch but I love Jerry West and apparently he doesn't come across as great). It takes me a long time to watch stuff my kids aren't into especially during football and basketball season.

Meanwhile I watched all of Rings of Power because I thought there'd be discussion and nobody (including me) can be bothered to make a thread for the finale.

Back to Disney + and bundles, the main thing that tempts me to get the hulu bundle is stuff like Bleach, because apparently in the US they're going to put all their anime on hulu instead of Disney + which kinda sucks.
Old 10-14-22, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So Disney+ costs $6.66 per month now? Interesting...
Old 10-15-22, 08:26 AM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Meanwhile I watched all of Rings of Power because I thought there'd be discussion and nobody (including me) can be bothered to make a thread for the finale.
I was gonna, but it looked like others had typically done it for the series and I'm not the kind of person who likes to steal thunder nor feel the need to be "the one who posts threads." Maybe I should've gone for it. Next time.
Music (10-16-22)
Old 10-25-22, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I'll definitely watch this. Wonder if it will "live online" or if it's just a live-event only. Since it starts at 11pm ET, I figure it will have to be streamable the next day, but I guess we'll find out.
MLBFan24 (10-25-22)
Old 10-25-22, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I still have a year left on my initial 3+1 and hoping it doesn’t price itself out of me renewing by then.

Disney+ is the new home for Doctor Who and the new Russel T. Davies run starting next year.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-fe...-on-doctor-who

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.