Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney+ streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Old 11-12-22, 04:11 PM
  #1626  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,207
Received 484 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

So, here's a little bit of pricing strategy before the Disney+ price increase on Dec. 8, if you're not interested in ESPN.

The problem with the new pricing structure is that Disney+ (No Ads) is only available either by itself for $10.99/month, or in the trio bundle for $19.99/month.

New prices:
Disney+ (Ads): $7.99
Disney+ (No Ads): $10.99
Disney+ (Ads) + Hulu (Ads): $9.99

But, if you act before Dec. 8, you can get a Disney+ (No Ads) plus Hulu (either Ads or No Ads). The Disney+ (No Ads) Hulu add-on is only available until Dec. 8, and will only be allowed for grandfathered plans after that point. That means you can get:

Hulu (Ads) + Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on: $10.99
Hulu (No Ads) + Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on: $14.99

So, you can get Hulu (Ads) + Disney+ (No Ads) for $10.99/month, the same as the new monthly price for Disney+ (No Ads) by itself. As long you maintain your Hulu account and your Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on, you can keep it.

In order to be eligible to add the Disney+ add-on, you have to have a Hulu account, and not have the Disney Bundle, a standalone Disney+ subscription, or the ESPN+ Add-on. So, if you have a standalone Disney+ account or Disney bundle, if you can cancel it and have it terminate before Dec. 8, you can get in on this Hulu deal.

To save even more money, you can subscribe to Hulu (Ads) at an annual rate (Hulu (no ads) is not available in an annual plan), and add the Disney+ add-on (which will continue to be billed monthly at $2.99). That works out to $79.99 + ($2.99 x 12) = $115.87 annually. That compares to the new pricing Disney+ (No Ads) annual rate of $109.99.

You should be able to switch back and forth from Hulu (Ads) and Hulu (No Ads) without affecting your Disney+ grandfathered add-on. (Although, if you are on Hulu (Ads) annual, you will have to contact customer service to switch it because of no annual rate for Hulu (No Ads).)

Last edited by TheBang; 11-12-22 at 04:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBang:
Cellar Door (11-12-22), story (11-12-22)
Old 11-13-22, 09:10 AM
  #1627  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,704
Likes: 0
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Thank you for posting that. I was trying to figure out what best to do, but never wanted to be stuck with the ESPN sub.

I'm going to try for this option:
To save even more money, you can subscribe to Hulu (Ads) at an annual rate (Hulu (no ads) is not available in an annual plan), and add the Disney+ add-on (which will continue to be billed monthly at $2.99). That works out to $79.99 + ($2.99 x 12) = $115.87 annually. That compares to the new pricing Disney+ (No Ads) annual rate of $109.99.
I already have an annual Hulu with ads plan...and my Disney+ annual plan just renewed. So I guess I need to contact Disney+ for a refund and then contact Hulu to do the add on. It would be cool if they had a price that could lock you in for life, but oh well.

edit: Looks like you can handle it all through Hulu via Chat.

Last edited by dex14; 11-13-22 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 07:55 PM
  #1628  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 460
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by dex14
Thank you for posting that. I was trying to figure out what best to do, but never wanted to be stuck with the ESPN sub.

I'm going to try for this option:

I already have an annual Hulu with ads plan...and my Disney+ annual plan just renewed. So I guess I need to contact Disney+ for a refund and then contact Hulu to do the add on. It would be cool if they had a price that could lock you in for life, but oh well.

edit: Looks like you can handle it all through Hulu via Chat.
My Hulu 0.99 per month special promo from last year is about to expire and my Disney+ 3 year special promo just expired 2 days ago (and renewed automatically) so I tried the Hulu chat thing to cancel or switch my subscription to the Hulu Disney+ bundle but the Hulu support said they couldn't access Disney+ accounts so I had to call Disney+ to cancel and request a refund, then sign up on Hulu to the $79.99 yearly w/ads plan and add on the $2.99 Disney+ no ads monthly plan. All of that seem to go through without a hitch but when I tried to activate the new Disney+ account by using my Hulu account info, the last page asked for my payment info and the screen showed the payment info was for the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ $13.99 per month bundle. I didn't complete the payment page in case they were going to charge me for this bundle and was able to login to Disney+ with the Hulu account info and access Disney+ content without adding a payment method since the Hulu account screen shows they are billing me for Disney+ already. So I would be careful and not enter billing info in the Disney+ account page to not get double billed.
Old 11-13-22, 09:25 PM
  #1629  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 29,908
Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Let me ask the question that I'm sure nobody can answer ... how long will the free bundle with Verizon last?

I didn't realize the 3 year deal ran its course a couple of months ago! I'm running on the Verizon "freebie" now.
Old 11-13-22, 09:27 PM
  #1630  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81,140
Received 1,398 Likes on 950 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Let me ask the question that I'm sure nobody can answer ... how long will the free bundle with Verizon last?

I didn't realize the 3 year deal ran its course a couple of months ago! I'm running on the Verizon "freebie" now.
Hard to say. Every provider offers a different service. I would imagine as long as TMobile and ATT keep offering a streaming freebie, Verizon will continue to do so as well..
Old 11-13-22, 09:30 PM
  #1631  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 23,164
Received 626 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

We’ve had the Verizon Disney bundle for over a year so I’m guessing these price gouging I mean changes won’t effect us.
Old 11-14-22, 08:39 AM
  #1632  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by TheBang
So, here's a little bit of pricing strategy before the Disney+ price increase on Dec. 8, if you're not interested in ESPN.

The problem with the new pricing structure is that Disney+ (No Ads) is only available either by itself for $10.99/month, or in the trio bundle for $19.99/month.

New prices:
Disney+ (Ads): $7.99
Disney+ (No Ads): $10.99
Disney+ (Ads) + Hulu (Ads): $9.99

But, if you act before Dec. 8, you can get a Disney+ (No Ads) plus Hulu (either Ads or No Ads). The Disney+ (No Ads) Hulu add-on is only available until Dec. 8, and will only be allowed for grandfathered plans after that point. That means you can get:

Hulu (Ads) + Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on: $10.99
Hulu (No Ads) + Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on: $14.99

So, you can get Hulu (Ads) + Disney+ (No Ads) for $10.99/month, the same as the new monthly price for Disney+ (No Ads) by itself. As long you maintain your Hulu account and your Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on, you can keep it.

In order to be eligible to add the Disney+ add-on, you have to have a Hulu account, and not have the Disney Bundle, a standalone Disney+ subscription, or the ESPN+ Add-on. So, if you have a standalone Disney+ account or Disney bundle, if you can cancel it and have it terminate before Dec. 8, you can get in on this Hulu deal.

To save even more money, you can subscribe to Hulu (Ads) at an annual rate (Hulu (no ads) is not available in an annual plan), and add the Disney+ add-on (which will continue to be billed monthly at $2.99). That works out to $79.99 + ($2.99 x 12) = $115.87 annually. That compares to the new pricing Disney+ (No Ads) annual rate of $109.99.

You should be able to switch back and forth from Hulu (Ads) and Hulu (No Ads) without affecting your Disney+ grandfathered add-on. (Although, if you are on Hulu (Ads) annual, you will have to contact customer service to switch it because of no annual rate for Hulu (No Ads).)
One thing though... they can raise that 2.99 monthly rate at any time, right?
Old 11-14-22, 09:23 AM
  #1633  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,704
Likes: 0
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
One thing though... they can raise that 2.99 monthly rate at any time, right?
They told me yes.
Old 11-14-22, 03:09 PM
  #1634  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

I think for me I'm going to reup at the current price for Disney + no ads, then hope that there's a black friday Hulu deal again, since it seems I'd otherwise have to jump through hoops to subscribe to Hulu first then add on Disney + and I'm not sure how long that 2.99 would hold. Still ruminating though.

edited to add: wow I just saw that you could add on that 2.99 Disney Plus sub to the 1 dollar black friday Hulu deal last year (obviously I had that original three year sub though). Maybe they won't offer a black friday Hulu deal again.

Last edited by fujishig; 11-14-22 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-15-22, 06:31 PM
  #1635  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 4,565
Received 892 Likes on 577 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Man I’m so confused. I currently have Hulu (ad free) and Disney + as separate accounts. So I need to call and combine them before December 8th to get a deal of sorts?
The following users liked this post:
story (11-15-22)
Old 11-15-22, 06:40 PM
  #1636  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,998
Received 857 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Man I’m so confused. I currently have Hulu (ad free) and Disney + as separate accounts. So I need to call and combine them before December 8th to get a deal of sorts?
If you get the Disney commercial free Bundle via Hulu, you can get Hulu (no ads), Disney+ (no ads), and ESPN+(with ads) for $19.99. I was able to combine all my accounts without calling anyone. It let me link all three by myself.
Old 11-15-22, 06:46 PM
  #1637  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Toddarino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northeastern Wisconsin
Posts: 4,565
Received 892 Likes on 577 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Ahh ok thanks. I couldn’t care less about espn, but that’s cheaper than what I’m paying for two channels.
Old 11-15-22, 06:56 PM
  #1638  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,998
Received 857 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Ahh ok thanks. I couldnít care less about espn, but thatís cheaper than what Iím paying for two channels.
Post 1626 has a different method for getting Hulu no ads and Disney+ no ads for $14.99 than buying the bundle that I mentioned.

Last edited by lwhy?; 11-15-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 02:37 AM
  #1639  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,207
Received 484 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Man I’m so confused. I currently have Hulu (ad free) and Disney + as separate accounts. So I need to call and combine them before December 8th to get a deal of sorts?
You need to cancel your Disney+ subscription. Once it's inactive, then go into your Hulu account, and select the Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on for $2.99/month. That option is only available before Dec. 8, and you'll be able to keep it if you add it onto your Hulu account before then. On Dec. 8, the only Disney+ add-on option available will be Disney+ (Ads) for $2.00/month.

If you can't inactivate your Disney+ subscription before Dec. 8, you might need to call Disney+ customer service and see if they can inactivate it immediately for you. Otherwise, you might need to create a new Disney+ account to link to the Add-on, which means you'll lose your watchlist/profiles.
Old 11-16-22, 06:13 AM
  #1640  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,704
Likes: 0
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Man I’m so confused. I currently have Hulu (ad free) and Disney + as separate accounts. So I need to call and combine them before December 8th to get a deal of sorts?
Originally Posted by TheBang
You need to cancel your Disney+ subscription. Once it's inactive, then go into your Hulu account, and select the Disney+ (No Ads) Add-on for $2.99/month. That option is only available before Dec. 8, and you'll be able to keep it if you add it onto your Hulu account before then. On Dec. 8, the only Disney+ add-on option available will be Disney+ (Ads) for $2.00/month.

If you can't inactivate your Disney+ subscription before Dec. 8, you might need to call Disney+ customer service and see if they can inactivate it immediately for you. Otherwise, you might need to create a new Disney+ account to link to the Add-on, which means you'll lose your watchlist/profiles.
This is what I did. I had separate annual Hulu (with ads) and Disney+ subs. All I wanted was to pay for Disney+ with no ads at a decent price. I even thought about just dropping Hulu all together and just subscribing for a month here and there. But that $79.99 Hulu (with ads) annual + $2.99/mo Disney+ felt like the best option for me.

I first contacted Disney via chat since that sub had just renewed, and they told me I should contact Hulu to cancel that sub and then it could be bundled. But then I saw about the $2.99 deal and I contacted Hulu via chat. The rep was able to cancel my Disney+ sub and refund me in full. Once that was processed, I saw the $2.99 D+ add-on deal pop up on my account. I added that and activated my Disney+ account and it is all fine. I'm happy with this cost. Hopefully it lasts for a while.
Old 11-17-22, 11:56 AM
  #1641  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

I wanted to give some family a disney plus subscription card, but apparently they were only sold at Disneyshop and they already took them down/sold out of them. Then I looked and you can buy a digital subscription code but it only works for new subscribers. So there's really no way to gift a year of Disney+ to an existing subscriber?
Old 11-17-22, 12:28 PM
  #1642  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 8,064
Received 361 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wanted to give some family a disney plus subscription card, but apparently they were only sold at Disneyshop and they already took them down/sold out of them. Then I looked and you can buy a digital subscription code but it only works for new subscribers. So there's really no way to gift a year of Disney+ to an existing subscriber?
Correct, which is really dumb. The same is true for The Criterion Channel as well.
Old 11-20-22, 07:47 PM
  #1643  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 45,704
Likes: 0
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,258 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Old 11-21-22, 02:12 PM
  #1644  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Thanks TheBang and all for the deal discussion. My Disney+ three years just expired, so I was contemplating options. Think I’ll wait until Friday and see if Hulu has any deals, but if not just get Hulu ads yearly and the + add-on. Didn’t really want Hulu, but for pretty much no extra cash, and possible future savings too, I’ll lock it in for now.
Old 11-21-22, 02:28 PM
  #1645  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,980
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks TheBang and all for the deal discussion. My Disney+ three years just expired, so I was contemplating options. Think Iíll wait until Friday and see if Hulu has any deals, but if not just get Hulu ads yearly and the + add-on. Didnít really want Hulu, but for pretty much no extra cash, and possible future savings too, Iíll lock it in for now.
This year's deal is 1.99 a month for new subscribers (or changed email addresses, though that will also affect your disney plus account):
https://www.hulu.com/GMA
Old 11-21-22, 02:53 PM
  #1646  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
This year's deal is 1.99 a month for new subscribers (or changed email addresses, though that will also affect your disney plus account):
https://www.hulu.com/GMA
Thanks, Iím good for a year now. Havenít had Hulu for a couple/few years, time to,check out their exclusives I guess.
Old 11-21-22, 03:13 PM
  #1647  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 78,011
Received 6,689 Likes on 4,566 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks, Iím good for a year now. Havenít had Hulu for a couple/few years, time to,check out their exclusives I guess.
The Dropout, The Patient, Only Murders in the Building and Under the Banner of Heaven are worth checking out.
Old 11-21-22, 03:18 PM
  #1648  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,998
Received 857 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks, Iím good for a year now. Havenít had Hulu for a couple/few years, time to,check out their exclusives I guess.
I really like Only Murders in the Building and Reboot.
Old 11-21-22, 08:05 PM
  #1649  
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 50,069
Received 1,015 Likes on 849 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Dopesick and so much more. Hulu is great. Great syndicated shows. Cable shows. Vast array of good content.
Old 11-21-22, 10:06 PM
  #1650  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,207
Received 484 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Originally Posted by fujishig
This year's deal is 1.99 a month for new subscribers (or changed email addresses, though that will also affect your disney plus account):
https://www.hulu.com/GMA
And, as discussed before, you can Add-On Disney+ (No Ads) for $2.99/month to your Hulu account, indefinitely, so long as you add it before Dec. 8.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.