Reload this Page >

Disney+ streaming service

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Disney+ streaming service

Old 08-09-23, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Disney+ streaming service

Kept my subscription so far even after finding a course to the high seas, but may be almost time to sail that way exclusively. Already had to do that to see Crater since Disney pulled it before I had time to watch it.

This price increase of course wonít go toward making the native app usable or stop further content from being pulled.
Old 08-09-23, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 922 Posts

Since I limited my physical media buying years ago it has freed up month to subscribe ad-free. Except Peacock because I jumped on $19 for a year.
Old 08-09-23, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

I have Hulu Live, which means Iím forced to purchase Disney+ and ESPN+ as part of a bundle.

Ideally, Iíd rather just pay for Disney+ when a new show premieres. So maybe once or twice a year. I only launch the app maybe 2-4 times a month when there arenít any new shows, basically digging through the app to see if thereís anything to watch (as opposed to Hulu Live and Netflix, which I watch everyday).

Disney should be refunding me money, not increasing the price. I donít use ESPN+ at all.

And I have no idea why they want to combine Hulu and Disney into a single app. Hulu shows are for a different age-demographic than Disney show demographics. Marketing and branding are different.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 08-09-23 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-10-23, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Disney+ has most of the adult Hulu content on its app in other countries under a ďStarĒ section. I can get those using a VPN and having it fake being in another country. I could just drop Hulu and not lose a whole lot that way, but right now I pay for ad-supported Hulu and ad-free Disney together cheap and use Kodi which doesnít play the commercials on Hulu. The guy who made the addons said he had to change something to get the Disney with ads subscriptions to work so I donít know if it plays the commercials there or not.
Old 08-10-23, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 305 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I bet this is soon to be the end of the Disney+ bundle on Verizon, which sucks.
Yeah Verizon absorbed the price increase last round. I can't see them doing it again.
Old 08-10-23, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 797 Likes on 530 Posts

This will probably push me to finally dump D+ after Loki season 2.
I rarely watch anything on there.
In fact maybe i should just get more selective across the board. Netflix, D+ and Shudder are easily my three least watched.
Old 08-10-23, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 922 Posts

I still use D+ for their catalogue stuff. A lot of their old DVDs and blus are in storage and not easily accessible like they used to be.
Old 08-11-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 898 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Yeah Verizon absorbed the price increase last round. I can't see them doing it again.
So does Verizon just offer it as a customer award for having a certain amount of service?

The reason I ask is that is how I have Disney+ and Hulu (with ads) but honestly forgot why or how I got it from Verizon.

It is getting hard to keep up with all the streaming services. I just fucked myself with Starz the other day. Got the annual for cheap last year and honestly totally forgot I had the app after the Party Down season ended. Then got a charge for $55 bucks the other day. Guess i need to start keeping a calendar of what expires when.

I enjoy having various access to all the different streaming services when I want them, but it is getting too hard to manage them or watch them all at this point.

I just need to have one or two, watch all the shit I want to watch and then dump it. Move to the next service, watch all I want and them dump it. And so on. The problem is there is always something new coming out that may be worth watching. So behind on everything so I guess it really shouldn't matter at this point.
Old 08-11-23, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 831 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
They are about to find out how useless ESPN+ is to a lot of people, I suspect.
Slamball is back. + is now worth every penny!
Old 08-11-23, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 341 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So does Verizon just offer it as a customer award for having a certain amount of service?

The reason I ask is that is how I have Disney+ and Hulu (with ads) but honestly forgot why or how I got it from Verizon.
They made a change to their plans over the last couple of months, so I'm not sure if it's still something available for brand new folks. Previously, they had different options (Do More, Play More, etc). A couple of those plans had the bundle as a perk. Our family has 4 lines and we made sure one of them was on a plan which included it.
Old 08-11-23, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Prior to the newest plans (within the last month or so), the higher tiers came with the Disney Bundle as a free perk with no listed expiration. I'm on last year's Get More plan and get the bundle, Apple Music and Arcade free. The new base plans don't include anything now,

Not so much an award but a perk for the more expensive plans.
Old 08-11-23, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,158 Likes on 890 Posts

I might have to downgrade do a Hulu/Disney ad plan and remove ESPN+. I have it locked in with a bundle that I am essentially getting ESPN+ for free right now.
The 30% increase is steep.
Old 08-12-23, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,158 Likes on 890 Posts

There. Just downgraded to the ads trio plan for $12.99 per month. That's an $84 savings per year. I can re-direct those funds over to Max or P+, etc.
Old 08-12-23, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I am curious how intrusive the Disney Plus with ads really is. Anyone else on that plan?
Old 08-12-23, 01:42 PM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I don't like price hikes but I like ads even less. I already have enough issues trying to be informed on what shows, movies, and content my kids are watching without also needing to be concerned about what ads they'll see. We already don't watch much OTA TV and we don't have cable, so keeping commercials away from them is just fine by me.
Old 08-12-23, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 813 Posts

ESPN+ is a joke. Sure, it has lots of content, but they donít have an app on several platforms and the user interface is gawd awful.

I only have it as part of the Verizon deal. Been enjoying the Little League World Series, but it isnít worth paying for (for me).

What is the tipping point for most customers? I ditched Netflix a long time ago. Iím thinking Prime is next. I like it because I pay it one time and Iím good for the year. However, not much on there to watch.
Old 08-13-23, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do people actually subscribe to Prime for the video portion only and not the shipping? Or is there a separate video option only?
Old 08-13-23, 08:36 AM

Do people actually subscribe to Prime for the video portion only and not the shipping? Or is there a separate video option only?
Yes there is an option for only Prime Video at $8.99/mo.
The following users liked this post:
fujishig (08-13-23)
Old 08-13-23, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 898 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There. Just downgraded to the ads trio plan for $12.99 per month. That's an $84 savings per year. I can re-direct those funds over to Max or P+, etc.
Hope it works for you. I can't stand the ads. I never watch my free subscription to Hulu because it is the add version. It affects how much I watch Peacock as well.

I think I am just going to cancel all my shit, buy one or two services without ads for the year that I use regularly and then just buy a monthly here and there for others if there is something I want to see. Then cancel once I have seen what I want.

I love having all the content at my fingertips when I want it, but I hate paying for stuff that I am not watching.
Abob Teff (08-13-23)
Old 08-13-23, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since Prime shipping is also a joke, the streaming has been my primary reason for sticking with it. Like I said, it hasn't even been their treasure trove of content (which, I actually find to be the weakest), but the fact that I can pay one time and be done. Admittedly, the price hikes have given me pause the last few years, but one and done.
Old 08-13-23, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But you can pay one time for Disney+ as well (and it's cheaper). I don't think you can with the bundle but you can with just Disney+ (no ads) if that's a benefit.
Old 08-13-23, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,452 Likes on 2,483 Posts

I have the Disney Plus bundle with all 3 services ad free for $19.99. But, I changed billing to my AMEX card because it has a $9.99 off promo until November. So, $10 per month for now. It was valid up to 6 times, but I just discovered it recently.

I'm a sports fan, but honestly I don't really use ESPN plus much at all. So, I would have no issue downgrading to just D+ and Hulu after the price increase. No one likes to pay more, so understandable some of you are re-assessing your streaming consumption.
Abob Teff (08-13-23)
Old 08-13-23, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But you can pay one time for Disney+ as well (and it's cheaper). I don't think you can with the bundle but you can with just Disney+ (no ads) if that's a benefit.

The prime (pun intended) reason I was an early Disney+ adopter: The 3-year, one time purchase. Loved it.

Like I said, I have it through Verizon, but if that goes away I will consider the annual purchase (price dependent). Hulu is the sticker there Ö for now.
Old 08-13-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
ESPN+ is a joke. Sure, it has lots of content, but they don’t have an app on several platforms and the user interface is gawd awful.

I only have it as part of the Verizon deal. Been enjoying the Little League World Series, but it isn’t worth paying for (for me).

What is the tipping point for most customers? I ditched Netflix a long time ago. I’m thinking Prime is next. I like it because I pay it one time and I’m good for the year. However, not much on there to watch.
You Tube just started showing USL games and I am paying for these games with ESPN Plus.I don't think it's part of YouTube Premium but USL shouldn't allow other streaming formats the content.
Old 08-14-23, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The prime (pun intended) reason I was an early Disney+ adopter: The 3-year, one time purchase. Loved it.
Yeah same here. I supposedly still have about 11 months left on it after multiple Verizon offers. I got a year free of Disney+ on one plan and then the Bundle (which I'm still on) on my current plan that paused the 3 year deal again. I only pay $5/mo for the ad-free Hulu upgrade.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.