DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Old 08-30-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

re: DC Universe streaming service

I just checked Twitter and it looks like there is some confusion about the Omnibus book whether it’s for all pre-orders or only those who got a question answered on air.

Oh well, doesn’t matter to me. I’m just counting down to September 15th.
Old 08-30-18, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just checked the DC Universe Facebook and indeed the Omnibus is only for those who asked a question and already paid for the pre-order.
Old 08-30-18, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just dropped Fandor and Full Moon(both Amazon streaming channels) so maybe I will take a look at this plus maybe Boomerang Cartoons streaming(or History documentary streaming channel).
Old 08-30-18, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, they're giving away the Wolfman/Perez NTT omnibus? Isn't that out of print? Plus I think the cover price is near the subscription price. If that's accurate, and it's not just say the first tpb or something, I might bite.
Its back in print.
Old 08-30-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

I think I might wait until all of the Titans show has aired as well as the YJ show and then binge the F out of it on a one month sub. I really am spoiled with the Netflix/Amazon way of doing it by releasing everything at same time. I don't want to reward streaming companies for basically being another broadcast network by spreading the shows by airing once per week.
Old 08-30-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is everything that's in the DC archives going too be available from the very beginning?

CBS All-Access seems to be playing games with their classic tv shows(they are either hard to find or not available)?
Old 08-30-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Is everything that's in the DC archives going too be available from the very beginning?

CBS All-Access seems to be playing games with their classic tv shows(they are either hard to find or not available)?
There’s a lot of content and they can’t list everything. The live stream yesterday announced some of the stuff TV wise available at launch like DC animated movies, Lois and Clark, the old Batman movies, the old 90s Flash TV show, Superfriends and such. And don’t forget comics as well. Content will be updated on a monthly basis. The new original shows will be posted weekly. Batman the animated series, which is getting a big BD release in October, will be available to stream in its entirety in HD on this service.

If you’re hesitant to commit to the $75 15 month preorder, just wait until it launches and use the free trial and see if it’s something you like and will use. They do allow month to month at $7.99/month as well. But, the preorder/commitment saves you about $3 per month.
Old 08-30-18, 11:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I did the pre-order, which iirc still mentions the free 7 day trail. I’d bet I’ll end up cancelling, but just in case it rocks I wanted to lock in the savings.
Old 08-30-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I did the pre-order, which iirc still mentions the free 7 day trail. I’d bet I’ll end up cancelling, but just in case it rocks I wanted to lock in the savings.
The $75 preorder is non refundable. It’s on the confirmation email. You are stuck with it for at least 15 months.

Can’t blame them. It’s a wise business move to lock in subscribers.
Old 08-30-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some key information about upcoming programming:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...expect-1138445

PROGRAMMING

DC Daily | Hosted by Kevin Smith, the daily show will cover news about all things DC, including original series, comics and more. Tiffany Smith will anchor DC Daily, which will also feature John Barrowman, Samm Levine, Harley Quinn Smith (Smith's daughter), Sam Humphries, Hector Navarro, Clarke Wolfe, Brian Tong, Markeia McCarty and John Kourounis.

Titans | The first live-action drama was originally developed for TNT but moved to the SVOD platform. The series centers on Dick Grayson (aka Robin) as he emerges from Batman's shadow to lead a new band of heroes. Brenton Thwaites (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales) stars as the Boy Wonder and leads a group of heroes including Starfire (Anna Diop), Raven (Teagan Croft) and Beast Boy (Ryan Potter). Alan Ritchson (who plays Hawk), Minka Kelly (Dove), Lindsey Gort (Amy Rohrbach), Seamus Dever and Bruno Bichir (Chief) recur. The series debuts Oct. 12. Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns and Sarah Schechter executive produce.

Doom Patrol | Due in 2019, the live-action series is based on the DC Comics title of the same name. Jeremy Carver (Supernatural) is serving as showrunner on the 13-episode drama and exec produces alongside Berlanti, Johns and Schechter. The drama revolves around superhero outcasts Robotman (Brendan Fraser), Negative Man, Elasti-Woman (April Bowlby) and Crazy Jane (Diane Guerrero), who are led by modern-day mad scientists Dr. Niles Caulder and Cyborg (Joivan Wade)

Swamp Thing | The live-action drama based on DC characters created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, the project was picked up to series after a brief time in development. Mark Verheiden (Battlestar Galactica, Daredevil) and Gary Dauberman (It and its forthcoming sequel) are attached to co-write the script and serve as showrunners. James Wan (Aquaman) will exec produce alongside his Atomic Monster banner topper Michael Clear, with the company's Rob Hackett set as a co-exec producer. Verheiden and Dauberman will also exec produce. The drama follows what happens when CDC researcher Abby Arcane returns to her childhood home of Houma, Louisiana, in order to investigate a deadly swamp-borne virus. There, she develops a surprising bond with scientist Alec Holland — only to have him tragically taken from her. But as powerful forces descend on Houma, intent on exploiting the swamp’s mysterious properties for their own purposes, Abby will discover that the swamp holds mystical secrets, both horrifying and wondrous — and the potential love of her life may not be gone after all. Swamp Thing is due in 2019.

Young Justice: Outsiders | The animated series, due in 2019, hails from producers Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti and serves as the third season of the Young Justice franchise. The first two seasons of Young Justice will be available on DC Universe's launch day.

Harley Quinn | The 26-episode half-hour animated series is due to launch on the service in 2019. Powerless trio Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker and Dean Lorey are behind the show, which is based on characters from the DC Comics universe. Harley Quinn was most recently played by Margot Robbie in the Warner Bros. feature Suicide Squad. Robbie will be asked to voice the DC platform animated series, though it's unclear if the in-demand actress will do it. The comedy will also feature Poison Ivy and a cast of heroes and villains — old and new — from the DC universe. The series follows Harley as she breaks things off with the Joker and attempts to make it on her own as the criminal "queenpin" of Gotham City. The effort is described as an adult animated action-comedy. (Powerless, for its part, was DC Comics' first live-action half-hour comedy.)

Stargirl | Johns will write and exec produce the 13-episode live-action scripted drama alongside Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. The series is slated to bow in 2019, though that may change. Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore, who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The project reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in a fun, exciting and unpredictable series. Johns and Lee Moder created the character, who was named after the former's sister, Courtney, who died in the 1996 explosion of TWA Flight 800. The character made her first appearance in July 1999's Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. #1.

Metropolis | Originally picked up straight to series with a 13-episode order, the drama from Gotham duo John Stephens and Danny Cannon is being redeveloped. The original pitch for Metropolis was set in the City of Tomorrow before the arrival of Superman and revolved around Lois Lane and Lex Luthor as they investigate the world of fringe science and expose the city's dark and bizarre secrets.

LIBRARY TITLES

Library TV titles that will be featured on DCU include the original Wonder Woman, the Batman animated series, Superfriends, Birds of Prey, Teen Titans (2003), Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Constantine, Batman Beyond and the Justice League animated series, among others.

COMICS

Digital comics that will be available through DC Universe include the first appearances of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. Other titles included are Batman: Gothic, the Authority series, Green Arrow: Year One, Shazam, The New Teen Titans, Identity Crisis, The Batman Adventures, Jack Kirby’s New Gods and more DC classics.

The $7.99 a month service will officially launch Sept. 15 (aka Batman Day) in the U.S. and will be a destination for new scripted originals (both live-action and animated), library content (both films and classic TV series), a curated selection of digital comics, a hub for breaking news in the DC Entertainment world and other fan-focused offerings.

The first scripted original to bow on DC Universe will be Titans, the drama that was announced back in April 2017 along with plans for the larger platform itself. Titans will debut Oct. 12, with episodes released weekly for 12 weeks. The series will have its world premiere Oct. 3 in conjunction with New York Comic-Con.

Launch and pricing | DC Universe will launch Sept. 15 at 5:59 a.m. PT. Subscriptions cost $7.99 per month or $74.99 per year. Membership includes access to all the content on the platform as well as opportunities to win prizes, earn rewards and connect with others in the community.
Old 08-30-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I just checked the DC Universe Facebook and indeed the Omnibus is only for those who asked a question and already paid for the pre-order.
Ah, that would have been like a killer deal otherwise. As is, even with the three free months, the fact that you have to pay upfront, added to the fact that I can probably just subscribe like every four months or so and get my fill, puts this back in the back of the queue for me.
Old 09-02-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's not a lot of content for launch. Hopefully that changes.

Just a list of what's NOT part of the launch:

- ANY of the CW series' prior seasons
- ANY of the new DC Universe movies (which began with Man of Steel)
- Smallville
- George Reeves' The Adventures of Superman

Also, 2,500 seems like A LOT of comics. but when you consider how many comics they publish a year, this is really just scratching the surface.

My guess is they'll be adding a lot more and just wanted to beat the Disney app to going live - that's one of the reasons they probably added the three free months.

They implied they're only refreshing the site once a month (aside from new episodes of exclusive series). They're going to need to up their game there too.
Old 09-02-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, with what they are launching with, I have zero desire to jump on board immediately. YJ: Outsiders is something I will definitely subscribe to see, but I don't feel the need to pay for the service now when it is not coming next year. They definitely seem to be putting out some content next year. It'll just have to be a wait and see when it all shows up and the quality of it.
Old 09-02-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
There's not a lot of content for launch. Hopefully that changes.

Just a list of what's NOT part of the launch:

- ANY of the CW series' prior seasons
- ANY of the new DC Universe movies (which began with Man of Steel)
- Smallville
- George Reeves' The Adventures of Superman

Also, 2,500 seems like A LOT of comics. but when you consider how many comics they publish a year, this is really just scratching the surface.

My guess is they'll be adding a lot more and just wanted to beat the Disney app to going live - that's one of the reasons they probably added the three free months.

They implied they're only refreshing the site once a month (aside from new episodes of exclusive series). They're going to need to up their game there too.

Smallville is licensed to Hulu as of right now. Don't know how long the deal is, but once it expires, it's practically a certainty to be moving to DC Universe.

(edit: Smallville was licensed back in Spring 2016, so it's probably going to be at least until 2020 before it could move)

The Arrowverse shows are licensed to Netflix in conjunction with The CW. That might be trickier to move here because the money from that is also going to the network.

I'm sure the DCEU movies will come at some point. They can't put everything at launch. Same goes with the George Reeves Superman show.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-02-18 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Smallville is licensed to Hulu as of right now. Don't know how long the deal is, but once it expires, it's practically a certainty to be moving to DC Universe.

(edit: Smallville was licensed back in Spring 2016, so it's probably going to be at least until 2020 before it could move)

The Arrowverse shows are licensed to Netflix in conjunction with The CW. That might be trickier to move here because the money from that is also going to the network.

I'm sure the DCEU movies will come at some point. They can't put everything at launch. Same goes with the George Reeves Superman show.
Yes, I'm aware of this. Disney has the same issues with their streaming launch (movies and series licensed to others), but - of course - they have a lot more content to dip into. Disney, however, is intent on making all their older content exclusive to their app once those rights expire - I'm not sure Warners/DC will do the same if they can make $$$ elsewhere. So I'm hoping the focus really goes into putting up as much original content as they can plus more comics - I think that's where the draw for subscriptions has be too.
Old 09-05-18, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is Superboy(1966)animated series going too part of DC Universe?

The above mentioned never made it too dvd(maybe tied up in courts) .

Since Hanna Barbera owns Fantastic Four 1967 animated series(or should I say partly owns) could they show it on DC Universe since afterall it's a superhero series and doesn't look like Marvel Properties(or whoever owns it on their behalf) seemingly doesn't care about it.
Old 09-05-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yeah, with what they are launching with, I have zero desire to jump on board immediately. YJ: Outsiders is something I will definitely subscribe to see, but I don't feel the need to pay for the service now when it is not coming next year. They definitely seem to be putting out some content next year. It'll just have to be a wait and see when it all shows up and the quality of it.
Same, i'll sign up to binge Young Justice and that'll probably be it.
Old 09-05-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Superboy(1966)animated series going too part of DC Universe?

The above mentioned never made it too dvd(maybe tied up in courts) .

Since Hanna Barbera owns Fantastic Four 1967 animated series(or should I say partly owns) could they show it on DC Universe since afterall it's a superhero series and doesn't look like Marvel Properties(or whoever owns it on their behalf) seemingly doesn't care about it.
The original Superboy character still has specific issues that result in more royalties for Siegel's heirs after the lawsuit. That is why the character has been almost entirely wiped from DC properties in corporate settings. It's why anything featuring the original Superboy (Clark Kent as a young boy in Smallville dressed up in a Superman costume) has virtually disappeared from the market.
Old 09-05-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For the record, the 1990's Superboy series, which from what I understand was rarely seen, is on the service.
Old 09-05-18, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The original Superboy character still has specific issues that result in more royalties for Siegel's heirs after the lawsuit. That is why the character has been almost entirely wiped from DC properties in corporate settings. It's why anything featuring the original Superboy (Clark Kent as a young boy in Smallville dressed up in a Superman costume) has virtually disappeared from the market.

They came out with 1960s Legion of Superheroes Omnibus(featuring Superboy) and have some standalone Superboy stories.
Old 09-05-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the record, the 1990's Superboy series, which from what I understand was rarely seen, is on the service.
I have all of those on dvd and it's been said by most that the first season was the worst but I thought it was the best despite a horrible Lex Luthor.
Old 09-06-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know how many stream's will be permitted at the same time?
Old 09-06-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was referring to the late 1960s Superboy series. The other animated series with a "young" Superman came out in the mid 2000s. There was a live-action Superboy series in the 1980s.
They came out with 1960s Legion of Superheroes Omnibus(featuring Superboy) and have some standalone Superboy stories.
Yes, I have them. It's my understanding that DC has to pay virtually nothing in royalties for any comic book work before 1976 (1978?) when reprinting them. The guy that used to run their trade program talked freely about the situation on other forums.

Superboy doesn't exist outside of reprints. It's why DC remade the character into Superboy Prime back in the 2000s. Because Siegel's heirs have no claim over newer versions of the character.

It's a sad tale of legal wrangling. I am a huge Superboy fan, so we will never see the character again in a recognizable form. DC could use him again, but that would trigger more money for Siegel's heirs.
Old 09-06-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know how many stream's will be permitted at the same time?
Wondering that myself, but I can't find any info yet.
Old 09-06-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Wondering that myself, but I can't find any info yet.
I think Kevin Smith said it on the YouTube live stream last week that multiple streams are allowed. Not 100% sure. It was a quick Q&A from a fan.

Seems like the opinions of this service are kind of divided here.

There are those who are excited about it and everything it's going to offer (new and old) and there are those who only care about the new and original content, but don't really want to pay regular monthly money for yet another streaming service.

Looks like this service will only have the 1st 2 seasons of Batman the animated series at launch. DC Universe Twitter said it on a recent tweet. Someone said on Twitter they're still remastering seasons in HD for this streaming version and it's not going to be all available right away.

Edit: It just hit me the complete series comes out on disc in October and WB/DC probably wants to sell as many of those as possible for the time being and slowly roll them out on this service afterwards.

I'm looking forward to both the new and old content. Some of the old stuff like Superboy, Lois and Clark, The Flash (1990) and Wonder Woman (1975) I either have never seen or haven't seen in decades. Not really a comic reader, but I'm very intrigued about the digital comics.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-07-18 at 01:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.