Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Amazon Prime Streaming Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: The Amazon Prime Streaming Thread

Originally Posted by Bacon
I haven’t seen a single ad on purchases, so who knows.
They're not putting ads on content you purchased though... unless I misunderstand what you mean or something.
Old 01-30-24, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

The ads are on Amazon Prime Video not purchases even thou both play thru the same app.
Old 01-30-24, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
The ads are on Amazon Prime Video not purchases even thou both play thru the same app.
Just think if they were playing ads on purchases suddenly. Talk about pissing people off.

I can't imagine them ever doing that.
Old 01-30-24, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Just think if they were playing ads on purchases suddenly. Talk about pissing people off.

I can't imagine them ever doing that.
Hopefully not but given time who knows. VUDU has a clause in their T/C's that they reserve the right to charge a monthly fee to access your library.
Old 01-30-24, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
really?
I thought they were doing that.
I misunderstood the announcement I guess.
Old 01-30-24, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bacon
really?
I thought they were doing that.
I misunderstood the announcement I guess.
Yes... Prime Original movies or shows like The Boys and Lord of the Rings now have ads. If you purchased (or ported in) say Barbie... no ads.
The following users liked this post:
BackStJoe (01-31-24)
Old 01-30-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've seen some people saying that there are multiple ad breaks in an episode and they don't even fall into the "natural" breaks, which seems like a really terrible implementation, so maybe it varies by series or even by person right now.
Watched Ep. 10 of K-Drama "Marry My Husband". Ad break at start (41 secs.), another Ad at 15 min. mark (15 secs.), and another Ad at the 41 min. mark (30 secs.).
Old 01-30-24, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I guess it depends on the show. As I said, I watched Expats and there was only 1 at the beginning and that was it.

At least it's not like the completely free services like CW or Pluto, which have like 2 1/2 to 3 minute breaks.
Old 02-01-24, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once and all I got was the 6 second Prime Video ad.
Old 02-01-24, 08:02 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Got about 1:15 in ads before the first episode of Mr and Mrs Smith.
Old 02-02-24, 06:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I suspect the number of commercials is based on how much one watches. The first couple of movies/shows I watched had only commercials at the start, if then. But I was bored the other day and watched 6 or so old TV shows. Now I reliably get 2 commercials at the start and 2 during the show. At first they were ads for prime shows or movies so tolerable but they quickly moved to acne medicine, etc. I'm not sure what they are basing that on since I haven't had acne in 60 years. Also the commercials seem to break in whenever they want to, not at the original shows commercial breaks.
Old 02-03-24, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by DeFan
I suspect the number of commercials is based on how much one watches. The first couple of movies/shows I watched had only commercials at the start, if then. But I was bored the other day and watched 6 or so old TV shows. Now I reliably get 2 commercials at the start and 2 during the show. At first they were ads for prime shows or movies so tolerable but they quickly moved to acne medicine, etc. I'm not sure what they are basing that on since I haven't had acne in 60 years. Also the commercials seem to break in whenever they want to, not at the original shows commercial breaks.
You fucked around and found out!

I see a day where I just carry one streaming service at a time, pay for them to be ad free and watch everything I want to that they currently have. When that is exhausted, I will move to a different service.

I am sure some here already do that. I have a friend who does it. You may be behind on the shows and risk spoilers and not joining in on discussions but if you want to save some scratch, that is the way to do it.

I am the only one in my household that watches them regularly anyway. My wife doesn't give to shits about this stuff and our son is at college and only watches Youtube with any regularity.
Old 02-03-24, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I don't pay monthly for any streaming services. The only reason Amazon Prime has lasted so long in my house is be cause I pay it once and it is good for a year. If I find deals for a year at a time, I'll bite on a service. Monthly? Nope.
Old 02-07-24, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 442 Likes on 256 Posts

I usually watch Prime while on my treadmill. I also have a computer next to the treadmill. Watching regular TV on the treadmill, when there are commercials, I can step off the treadmill and read while waiting for the commercials to finish. Unfortunately, Prime does a single commercial at a time, and 15-30 seconds isn't enough time to step away. If they're going to do commercials, it would be nice if they did 2-3 at once with fewer commercial breaks.
Old 02-07-24, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
If they're going to do commercials, it would be nice if they did 2-3 at once with fewer commercial breaks.
It's probably that way on purpose.
Kevin Phillips (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 01:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I've seen some people saying that there are multiple ad breaks in an episode and they don't even fall into the "natural" breaks, which seems like a really terrible implementation, so maybe it varies by series or even by person right now.
Absolutely true. I watched a movie the other night that had 5 or 6 two-and-a-half minute commercial breaks (5 commercials each break) right in the middle of intense action and other inappropriate places. I just turned off the sound but it really ruined the flow of the movie.
Old 02-11-24, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Don't know if this is a bug or designed, but if you don't pay the $2.99/month fee to remove ads, apparently you also lose out on Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...dden-surprise/
Old 02-11-24, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I played the 3rd episode of Expats a few nights ago. It was once again 1 minute commercials (3 short spots) and then it played uninterrupted.

Old 02-11-24, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Don't know if this is a bug or designed, but if you don't pay the $2.99/month fee to remove ads, apparently you also lose out on Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...dden-surprise/

Seems to be a disingenuous feature.

Designed autocorrected to disingenuous.
Old 02-11-24, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Eh, works either way.
whotony (02-11-24)
Old 02-12-24, 07:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones;[url=tel:14386725
14386725[/url]]Don't know if this is a bug or designed, but if you don't pay the $2.99/month fee to remove ads, apparently you also lose out on Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...dden-surprise/
I put on the Jack Ryan finale yesterday and was surprised I was only getting a stereo feed, not Atmos. If this is the case it's truly messed up on Amazon's part. Maybe they need to separate the streaming business from Prime and give us clear payment tiers.
Old 02-12-24, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,510 Posts

It doesn't seem too bad for me, so far. Yesterday I blew through six episodes of a TV show, there was a minute of commercials before the first one started, and then maybe one 30 second commercial every other episode, placed during a natural commercial break in the show. I imagine it will get worse in the future though.
Old 02-12-24, 11:45 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Watched another movie last night with at least five 2 1/2 minute commercials. I fell asleep before the end of the movie the night before and I had to sit through the commercials to get back to the part I missed. The night before the movie had much shorter commercial breaks so they may be doing some kind of commercial allocation per user.
Old 02-12-24, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I really don’t even care about the commercials.
It’s annoying but the Audio issue is a major problem for me.
BackStJoe (02-12-24)
Old 02-12-24, 04:21 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Amazon is facing a lawsuit accusing it of misleading Prime subscribers by charging them an additional fee to stream movies and TV shows without ads.

A proposed class action lawsuit, filed Friday in California federal court, claims breach of contract and violations of state consumer protection laws on behalf of users who saw the terms of their subscriptions with Amazon change when it pivoted to making its ad tier the default for its over 100 million subscribers.

In 2023, Amazon, which declined to comment, announced plans to turn on ads for all Prime Video viewers. The platform last month rolled out the change, instantly turning the service into a streaming-ad juggernaut and the largest ad-supported subscription streamer. Users must pay an additional $2.99 per month to watch without ads.

But when Amazon altered its terms, users who had signed up for annual subscriptions were also impacted. They allege the change is deceptive.

“Subscribers must now pay extra to get something they already paid for,” the complaint states.

In addition to being “unfair,” the suit alleges that Amazon illegally benefited by advertising Prime Video as “commercial-free” for years prior to launching its ad-supported tier, which “harms both consumers and honest competition,” according to the complaint.

The proposed class action seeks at least $5 million and a court order barring Amazon from engaging in further deceptive conduct on behalf of users who subscribed to Prime prior to Dec. 28, 2023. It brings claims for breach of contract, false advertising and unfair competition, among other alleged violations of consumer protection laws in California and Washington.

Last year, the Federal Trade Commission sued the tech giant for allegedly duping consumers into signing up for its Prime service and then impeding them from canceling their subscriptions. The suit argued Amazon employs a “manipulative” and “coercive” interface to trick users into enrolling in automatically renewing subscriptions. It also alleged that many subscribers intended to sign up solely for Prime Video, which is a lower-cost option.

Prime is considered a vital part of Amazon’s retail dominance because it keeps users locked into the company’s marketplace by offering them perks, including access to Prime Video, according to the FTC.

Amazon was also sued in 2020 for unfair competition and false advertising over the company reserving the right to end consumers’ access to content purchased through Prime Video. A federal judge in 2022 dismissed the proposed class action, siding with Amazon on arguments that its terms of use tell users that movies and TV shows they purchased may become unavailable due to provider licensing restrictions.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...it-1235822779/
BackStJoe (02-12-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.