Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

It looks like they're stocking the store for Christmas. Lots of animated/family Christmas specials popped up over the past week, including a couple of my sentimental favorites: Jim Henson's adaptation of Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas (RIP Russell Hoban) and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. There's also the holiday offerings from Fat Albert (not too bad) and He-Man and She-Ra (I'll pass, but if that's your thing, there it is).

Also: Norm McDonald: Me Doing Stand-up, his Comedy Central special from earlier this year. Norm has a taken a very (a-HEM) unique approach to stand-up in recent years (just look at the title), so this isn't going to be the best fit for everybody. I enjoyed it, but people tell me I'm a bit weird...
Old 12-18-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

I watched Insidious on Netflix Instant last night. Pretty good--very creepy at times. It's available in HD.

I also watched an independent Australian horror movie called The Reef. It's about a group of friends who are sailing when their boat capsizes, and they are terrorized by a great white shark. More like Open Water than Jaws.
Old 01-02-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tucker&Dale Vs. Evil is one of the new additions, as well as a lot of WWE titles(fans of old school titles will be happy) since the History of AWA, Triumph and Tragedy of the WCCW, The Road Warriors, Ric Flair, and Pipers entries are there.
Old 01-03-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I watched Insidious on Netflix Instant last night. Pretty good--very creepy at times. It's available in HD.

I also watched an independent Australian horror movie called The Reef. It's about a group of friends who are sailing when their boat capsizes, and they are terrorized by a great white shark. More like Open Water than Jaws.
I liked the Reef. But then again I like anything having to do with the oceans and sharks.
Old 01-05-12, 09:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have been watching some MST3K and episodes of Columbo.
Old 01-07-12, 12:35 PM

I just noticed that netflix streaming had The Monitors, a sci-fi comedy from the 60's that I had vague memories of from drive in days. I have been wanting to see it again.

My only memories of it were the theme song and that it was a dark comedy. Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Not perfect, but it was fun. Sadly it was not wide screen. But. it was still fun to finally see it after all these years.
Old 01-18-12, 09:14 PM

Neither Apple TV nor my PS3 is noting whether a title is presented in "HD " including titles that were designated as such the last time I looked. I'm pretty sure this is brand new, but I'm wondering whether it is temporary.

Apple TV includes a field on each title screen that distinguishes "High Definition" from "Standard Definition" but every titile I checked was designated as the latter.

The Netflix website also seems to have removed any SD vs HD distinctions for streaming content, but I'm looking at it on my iPad, so it may look different on non mobile OSes.

Anyone notice anything similar?
Old 01-18-12, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by theWitcher
Neither Apple TV nor my PS3 is noting whether a title is presented in "HD " including titles that were designated as such the last time I looked. I'm pretty sure this is brand new, but I'm wondering whether it is temporary.

Apple TV includes a field on each title screen that distinguishes "High Definition" from "Standard Definition" but every titile I checked was designated as the latter.

The Netflix website also seems to have removed any SD vs HD distinctions for streaming content, but I'm looking at it on my iPad, so it may look different on non mobile OSes.

Anyone notice anything similar?
i know, its suck, i just rejoin but this site might help you http://instantwatcher.com/
Old 01-20-12, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lacubs
i know, its suck, i just rejoin but this site might help you http://instantwatcher.com/
Thanks. Instant Watcher shows several titles as HD that are not designated as such on either Apple TV or the PS3 (or the Netflix website on iOS Safari.)

I found this discussion at Apple Support that confirms that the issue is not isolated to my network.

In that link, one of the posters was able to find a few TV shows that were flagged as HD and DD5.1. Only one episode of "Breaking Bad" is shown as HD and 5.1 but I sampled both the "HD" episode and another one and both appear to output DD 5.1. I did not perceive any PQ disparity between the episodes.

I also found a couple of movies that appear as HD on Apple TV, PS3, and Netflix website: Reservoir Dogs and Super Troopers

I initially thought that the Netflix API had removed or changed how HD content was flagged but perhaps it is some other database issue. I am curious if others notice similiar issues on other devices/platforms.
Old 01-21-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Downfall is on Watch Instantly (and in HD too)

Yes, Downfall is the movie about Adolph Hitler from which the footage for the popular "Hitler Meme" is lifted. So watch this great movie and when that scene shows up, finally see what he was actually saying in it.
Old 01-24-12, 02:08 AM

Kidnapped is a very good movie on instant. The only sad thing, is that the movie doesn't have the original audio. It's a dubbed cut, the dub isn't bad. But it would've been nice to have the original dialogue.
Old 01-25-12, 06:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

One of my favorite movies on IW is Home Room

A small town is rocked by a shooting at its high school that results in nine deaths and serious injury to one popular female student, Deanna. As a detective looks for those responsible, his concentration turns to a defiant outcast named Alicia. With her involvement still in question, Alicia visits Deanna in the hospital, and the two forge a rare bond over what they saw that fateful day.
Old 01-31-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Revenge of the Electric Car, the documentary sequel of sorts to Who Killed The Electric Car?, is on Watch Instantly.
Old 02-07-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The Double (which came out last week) is already there streaming in HD.... Pretty decent Spy Thriller... I don't recommend watching the trailer as it includes spoilers..
Old 02-08-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They just added the Extended editions of the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy.
Old 02-15-12, 02:36 PM

Quarantine part 2 was better than part 1 but I didn't really like the ending.. We just finished it up today.
Old 02-27-12, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PvtPlatypus
Kidnapped is a very good movie on instant. The only sad thing, is that the movie doesn't have the original audio. It's a dubbed cut, the dub isn't bad. But it would've been nice to have the original dialogue.
I got my hopes up there that you meant Bava's "Rabid Dogs" aka Kidnapped there for a second before i went and checked, guess i should have known better.
They added "Supernatural", of course after i picked up seasons 4-6 as a blind buy they decide to do this. I'm halfway through season 3 now and didn't think i'd find them for 15 bucks a piece again so went ahead and bought them. I guess if there is the small chance I don't like the later seasons I can probably get my money back since there unopened.
Old 03-18-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Religulous, the funny documentary starring Bill Maher that looks at the ridiculousness in common religious beliefs, is on Watch Instantly.

Old 03-19-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't seen it but added it to my queue, Julie Delpy's version of the Elizabeth Bathory story "The Countess". More of a drama than horror but maybe worth a look.
Old 03-23-12, 11:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I saw The Killing (US edition) on there last night. Might be new, because I swear I looked for it last week and it wasn't there.
Old 04-01-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched Agora, a film about Hypatia of Alexandria starring Rachel Weisz, on streaming.

It's pretty good and reasonably accurate to the historical sources to boot.
Old 04-01-12, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Watched Agora, a film about Hypatia of Alexandria starring Rachel Weisz, on streaming.

It's pretty good and reasonably accurate to the historical sources to boot.
Also directed by Alejandro Amenábar, guy who did The Others, The Sea Inside and Abres Los Ojos
Old 04-01-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Started to watch the first few episodes of Luther (BBC crime drama) and came away impressed.
Old 04-05-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rango is on there, probably has been for a little while, watched it last night. Looks fantastic via streaming, no idea how that movie got green lit with that script and those concepts as a Kid/Family flick, but glad it did, something so incredibly trippy about it.
Old 04-17-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched Castaway on the Moon last night, a Korean version of Castaway re-imagined as a quirky drama/comedy.

Basic premise: Guy tries to kill himself by jumping off a bridge, washes up onshore of a deserted island. Island turns out to be right off shore from the city, and he can't swim and doesn't care. Starts a relationship with an agoraphobic young lady who lives in an apartment across the bay (He writes in the sand (oddly enough, the two communicate strictly in English), she photographs it with a telescopic lens camera and responds with messages in bottles). Movie goes from there, pretty funny and very sweet film.

It's a well shot, well produced, indie-style flick. Oddly, there seems to be a remake in the works, probably staring Zooey Deschanel and Will Ferrell, or cheaper counterparts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.