Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

The complaining about Amazon thread

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

The complaining about Amazon thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: The complaining about Amazon thread

My last two orders this week were delivered on the day as stated by the time stated. My second order staid "by 10pm" but I had it by 11am.
Old 07-02-22, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I have three different orders coming from amazon tomorrow (supposedly), who wants to place bets on how many actually arrive on time?
Old 07-03-22, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I ordered a CD box set yesterday around 10 am with a next day delivery guarantee. It's not going to be delivered today. Not the first, second or even the tenth time this has happened so I guess I should be used to it.
Let's ignore the fact that you're still listening to CDs. Let's further ignore that that CD box set is probably worth 30% less the moment you open the package. But, you're whining about another day or so to receive music ... as if you don't have enough music to listen to? Like there is not a pile of stuff you ordered that you haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Please.
Old 07-03-22, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Let's ignore the fact that you're still listening to CDs. Let's further ignore that that CD box set is probably worth 30% less the moment you open the package. But, you're whining about another day or so to receive music ... as if you don't have enough music to listen to? Like there is not a pile of stuff you ordered that you haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Please.
Are you Bezos or just an idiot?
The following 2 users liked this post by stvn1974:
andicus (07-05-22), PileOfFudge (08-20-22)
Old 07-03-22, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Are you Bezos or just an idiot?
No personal attacks like that, please...

...though this is an awfully ridiculous post. Complaining about the presence of complaints in the "complaining about Amazon" thread is pretty silly to begin with, and belittling someone buying CDs in 2022 on a DVD message board just makes it that much sillier. We're a near-dead form of communication centered around a format whose best years are, like, two full decades in the rear view mirror. There's not much to be holier than thou about. The guy's not frothing at the mouth or trembling with rage; his is an appropriate level of annoyance of a delivery date being missed.

I still buy CDs too. Yeah, I just rip 'em to iTunes and stream them afterwards, and a lot of what I buy is on Apple Music anyway. I get that it's mostly pointless. But I like supporting artists (I mostly buy directly from their Bandcamp/websites/whatever), and if I'm going to spend $XX amount of money on music, it's nice to have something physical to go with it, even if it's just plastic that sits on a shelf. I'm not saying it's better. I'm not saying it makes sense. But I like it, I'm not hurting anyone, so who cares?

So ... since you already know the movie (even own the movie) ... why not just put the name of the movie in the search bar?
Because the search results are garbage. It's gotten to the point where I look up the UPC for a movie I'm ordering and search for that instead -- or just search Google and key off their Amazon matches -- because searches by title are almost always flooded with irrelevant movies, foreign releases, etc. The same thing happens with video games, where the results lead with imports from third-party sellers rather than the domestic version sold by Amazon.
​​​​
Though to be fair, MooMooMooMoo isn't going to get a relevant match on Amazon for a Blu-ray release of Shadow of the Vampire because that doesn't exist.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (07-03-22)
Old 07-05-22, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
In March I ordered a $400 steering wheel for the PS5 to play Gran Turismo (with $350 in gift cards I had saved). I ordered a new one, and Amazon shipped me a used one from their Amazon Warehouse inventory instead. It had huge scrapes and gouges all over the top and was generally beat to hell.

I immediately started a return and replace. Amazon says they can't get me another until the end of May. Whatever.

I sent the used one back and it was delivered to Amazon April 7 per UPS. It's now been 11 days and they have not yet indicated in any way they received my return. I'm not sure what their time frame on returns are now (I remember them being faster last time) but I am really nervous they'll fuck this up somehow and I'll end up getting charged in full for the replacement due to "not returning the original item".
I guess I should close out my saga here.

They processed my return a few days after this post. I had a replacement order opened for a new wheel. They said it wouldn't arrive until the end of May. They didn't refund my money, they kept it and applied it to the replacement. The replacement order showed the wheel costing "$0.00" and no payment applied but whatever. The second week of May rolls around and I get an email from Amazon "We are not going to be able to get this item back in stock. Your order has been cancelled. Since the item has not shipped, you were not charged." I started to freak a little. I asked Amazon Twitter CS and they asked me to wait. Refunds usually process in 1-2 days, I would see my refund then.

I waited a week for good measure, still nothing. My $400 was not refunded. I went to their site and started looking for the CS chat. Couldn't find it anymore, all there is now is a knowledge base thing. I demanded someone on twitter tell me how to talk to a person and they told me the exact order of links to click to get to the automated FAQ, where I had to ignore the options it gave me and type in a specific code word unprompted to get to a chat with a real person.

I got a person on chat and started explaining my situation to him. He cut me off mid story and said "Never fear, sir. Your order was not shipped so you were not charged." I told him I'm not done yet and fill him in on the rest of the story. He then says "I see the replacement order was placed March 31st. Why did you wait so long to contact us?" I started to get agitated as I reminded him that the replacement order was just cancelled the week before. He then tells me in a tone of voice as if he is giving me the most profound answer in history: "But the charge was $0.00. You were not charged." At that point I start to get angry but the guy cut me off and said "I will have someone call you, sir". I started to screen cap the chat and he immediately disconnected. The chat went white, it appears Amazon's chat program now wipes the screen when they disconnect.

Anyway, a few minutes later another guy called me and I go over the whole thing again with him. "I see the original order here, sir. I see you were charged $400. I see it wasn't refunded. I see the replacement order tied to it and that order was cancelled. Our system was supposed to initiate the refund automatically. I'm not entirely sure why it didn't." I asked him if it's because the original order was considered closed in the system and when the system looked at the replacement order it saw "$0.00" so it thought there was nothing to refund. He responded with "maybe".
Finally, an hour and a half after I started this process, the second CS rep tells me he has initiated my refund.

Two days later, I had my money back.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 07-05-22 at 05:35 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bob_Bobbson:
Adam Tyner (07-05-22), BobO'Link (07-07-22), Norm de Plume (07-15-22), story (07-05-22)
Old 07-05-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good that you got it sorted out.

I had to return the CD box set that I posted about above. Amazon put it in a box twice its size without any packing so four of the six discs were loose from their spots and scratched badly enough that they wouldn't play or rip properly. When I went to do a return the chance to get a replacement wasn't offered, just a refund to my credit card or credit to my amazon account. I took the credit and ordered 6 different CD with it. One was shipped by itself and badly crushed causing the second disc to be loose and badly scratched that the last two songs skip. I have a replacement coming Thursday. The other five CD were not what was listed in their description so I returned them for a refund earlier today. That isn't amazon's fault though, the music label put the wrong masters on the discs instead of using the new remaster that is shown on the product pages.

Last edited by stvn1974; 07-05-22 at 06:16 PM.
Bob_Bobbson (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 427 Likes on 248 Posts

They processed my return a few days after this post. I had a replacement order opened for a new wheel. They said it wouldn't arrive until the end of May. They didn't refund my money, they kept it and applied it to the replacement. The replacement order showed the wheel costing "$0.00" and no payment applied but whatever. The second week of May rolls around and I get an email from Amazon "We are not going to be able to get this item back in stock. Your order has been cancelled. Since the item has not shipped, you were not charged." I started to freak a little. I asked Amazon Twitter CS and they asked me to wait. Refunds usually process in 1-2 days, I would see my refund then.

I waited a week for good measure, still nothing. My $400 was not refunded. I went to their site and started looking for the CS chat. Couldn't find it anymore, all there is now is a knowledge base thing. I demanded someone on twitter tell me how to talk to a person and they told me the exact order of links to click to get to the automated FAQ, where I had to ignore the options it gave me and type in a specific code word unprompted to get to a chat with a real person.

I got a person on chat and started explaining my situation to him. He cut me off mid story and said "Never fear, sir. Your order was not shipped so you were not charged." I told him I'm not done yet and fill him in on the rest of the story. He then says "I see the replacement order was placed March 31st. Why did you wait so long to contact us?" I started to get agitated as I reminded him that the replacement order was just cancelled the week before. He then tells me in a tone of voice as if he is giving me the most profound answer in history: "But the charge was $0.00. You were not charged." At that point I start to get angry but the guy cut me off and said "I will have someone call you, sir". I started to screen cap the chat and he immediately disconnected. The chat went white, it appears Amazon's chat program now wipes the screen when they disconnect.

Anyway, a few minutes later another guy called me and I go over the whole thing again with him. "I see the original order here, sir. I see you were charged $400. I see it wasn't refunded. I see the replacement order tied to it and that order was cancelled. Our system was supposed to initiate the refund automatically. I'm not entirely sure why it didn't." I asked him if it's because the original order was considered closed in the system and when the system looked at the replacement order it saw "$0.00" so it thought there was nothing to refund. He responded with "maybe".
Finally, an hour and a half after I started this process, the second CS rep tells me he has initiated my refund.

What a mess. I feel for you. I may end up going through something similar right now. I ordered a patio umbrella. It arrived damaged and I immediately sent it back, requesting a replacement. The replacement arrived, and it was also damaged. I sent it back, this time requesting a refund. It's been a month since they got it back and the return status just finally indicated they received it. Now I have to wait another week or so to see if I get my money back.
Bob_Bobbson (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

It's complete bullshit the hoops consumers have to jump through now just to get someone somewhat competent who can handle your situation. I've had to initiate more chargebacks in the past 2-3 years than I had my entire life before that. I've also gone through our state's consumer protection bureau on several occasions.
Old 07-06-22, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I guess I should close out my saga here. [...] Two days later, I had my money back.
What a saga. You could try asking for a courtesy credit for the inconvenience of 1) never getting your item, and 2) having to spend almost 2 hours to get your money back on something that should have been automatically refunded.

The CSR's have pretty wide latitude to issue credits for customer satisfaction. For this $400 order, I'd guess you could probably get at least $20 credit for the fiasco.
Old 07-06-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

In cases like these Amazon usually tacks on a free month or two of Prime service if asked.
Old 07-07-22, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
It's complete bullshit the hoops consumers have to jump through now just to get someone somewhat competent who can handle your situation. I've had to initiate more chargebacks in the past 2-3 years than I had my entire life before that. I've also gone through our state's consumer protection bureau on several occasions.
Good for you for not just acquiescing to all the bullshit. The last 2 to 3 years have been brutal. I've stopped nearly all online buying for this reason. I'd never filed any chargebacks before 2019. Since then, I've had to file five of them, even though my online purchases have been reduced to ~1/3rd of what they were before 2019!

You've got to take such severe action nowadays, if you ever want to see any hope of things changing more positively for cosumers / customers in the future. It's really a cliche now, but "Speak with your wallet." Get 'em where it hurts, for all they can see is dollar signs, and when they see fewer dollar signs, corrective action is usually forthcoming.... A slow, but hopeful progression.
Old 07-07-22, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
What a saga. You could try asking for a courtesy credit for the inconvenience of 1) never getting your item, and 2) having to spend almost 2 hours to get your money back on something that should have been automatically refunded.

The CSR's have pretty wide latitude to issue credits for customer satisfaction. For this $400 order, I'd guess you could probably get at least $20 credit for the fiasco.
Hell, I don't know about you, but my time and frustration at this type of bullshit is worth more than $10 per hour. He should be given a minimum of a $50 credit for all the kaka and incompetence he had to endure.
Old 07-10-22, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon delivery photo

My house is over 1700ft from the road. That's my mailbox. They took the picture looking in from the road. You can't even see halfway down the driveway.
Old 07-11-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Surprised they didn't put it inside the mailbox. I've had that a few time when it's a small package.
Old 07-11-22, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLifeDGenerate

Amazon delivery photo

My house is over 1700ft from the road. That's my mailbox. They took the picture looking in from the road. You can't even see halfway down the driveway.
What is the complaint?
Old 07-11-22, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
What is the complaint?
You don't see the problem with leaving the package 1700ft from the fucking house!? They're supposed to bring it to the door like every other delivery driver the past 30 years except a few idiots. Even the post office comes in when something doesn't fit in the box. They don't just leave it on the fucking ground out there by the road. FedEx did that once with a limited edition Halo keyboard and someone nearly got fired over it. That's NOT how you deliver shit.
Old 07-11-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Surprised they didn't put it inside the mailbox. I've had that a few time when it's a small package.
Depends who delivered it.

It's illegal for anyone except for the USPS to put something in a mailbox. So UPS, FedEx, or whoever Amazon has subcontracted their delivery to that isn't the USPS, cannot place packages inside of your mailbox without violating federal law.
Norm de Plume (07-14-22)
Old 07-11-22, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Depends who delivered it.

It's illegal for anyone except for the USPS to put something in a mailbox. So UPS, FedEx, or whoever Amazon has subcontracted their delivery to that isn't the USPS, cannot place packages inside of your mailbox without violating federal law.
Amazon does their own deliveries 99% of the time now. That's who took the picture.
Old 07-11-22, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lately amazon has been dropping packages off the the resident of a town about an hour from here that has the same address other than the zip code. I usually get them two days later, luckily the person that they keep sending them to is honest.
Old 07-12-22, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't see the problem with leaving the package 1700ft from the fucking house!?
Not at all. The mail doesn't get delivered to the front door, does it? Amazon let you know it was delivered and where it was.

They're supposed to bring it to the door like every other delivery driver the past 30 years except a few idiots.
Says who? All your mail people are idiots, I guess.

Even the post office comes in when something doesn't fit in the box.
As they should. Unfortunately, only USPS can deliver in the mailbox.

They don't just leave it on the fucking ground out there by the road.
Did Amazon do that? Is there another picture that I somehow missed?
Norm de Plume (07-14-22)
Old 07-12-22, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
Did Amazon do that? Is there another picture that I somehow missed?
Same fucking difference. It was a blu-ray. It would've blown away had someone not gone out for it right away. NOBODY leaves packages out by the fucking road. It's either in the mailbox or deliver it to the fucking door.
Old 07-13-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same fucking difference. It was a blu-ray. It would've blown away had someone not gone out for it right away. NOBODY leaves packages out by the fucking road. It's either in the mailbox or deliver it to the fucking door.
So your complaint is that it blew away?
Old 07-13-22, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

My local Amazon warehouse had a fire so a lot of my shipments are being delayed and automatically reordered, something I’ve never seen before.
Old 07-13-22, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
My local Amazon warehouse had a fire so a lot of my shipments are being delayed and automatically reordered, something I’ve never seen before.
You will probably still receive a bunch of charred items.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.