Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

I'm done with DeepDiscount

Old 06-10-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm done with DeepDiscount

I've had the worst luck with my purchases at DD.com lately. Nothing is ever in stock. Today, I went online to order "The Other Boleyn Girl" on BD and that, too, is on back order. The freakin' thing came out today!! So, I'm done. Which is too bad, I've been with them for years and they used to be a great company.
Old 06-10-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is, I dunno, some kind of sale going on... but I don't think anyone knows about it, so it's probably not drastically affecting the stock of recently released items or anything...

I feel you, though, I do think that they've gone downhill in recent years... either that, or my dvd collection has reached saturation and I no longer need to splurge as much as I did in past years. Probably a little bit of both.
Old 06-10-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ah, it must be Summer again!

4-11-08
Old 06-10-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

congrats
Old 06-10-08, 03:00 PM

My only complaints about them right now are things seem to ship slower than before and I've had about three things come in with the disc off its spindle. The shipping being slower than before most likely has to do with higher gas prices and the postal service being horrible. The spindle issue is probably because things get thrown around in the mail or the factory didn't press them properly. Other than that though I think the benefits still outweigh the negatives of DeepDiscount. When I ordered my Dawn Of The Dead set they were originally backordered but within a few days they got more in and shipped mine out. Be patient and they'll probably do the same for you. IIRC you have 60 days till they cancel a backordered order so if the DVD is new they're especially likely to get some in before then.
Old 06-10-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Doctor Zoidberg
The shipping being slower than before most likely has to do with higher gas prices and the postal service being horrible.
The Postal Service being [more] horrible, I suppose I get, but how does higher gas prices figure in to your theory of slower delivery? Are the mail trucks just driving slower to save gas, or do you have a more elaborate theory?
Old 06-10-08, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
The Postal Service being [more] horrible, I suppose I get, but how does higher gas prices figure in to your theory of slower delivery? Are the mail trucks just driving slower to save gas, or do you have a more elaborate theory?
Well for me DeepDiscount doesn't have a location close to where I live, so my orders have to travel about a state over. Since I use the free shipping they'll take longer no matter what, but I'm guessing the postal service runs those types of mail over here less because gas is higher now than before and they're using more of it (in my case). Before if I ordered something from DeepDiscount on a Monday it would likely get here on a Friday. Now if I order something there's usually about a two week wait. All of this though is educated guessing on my part so there's probably more to the story.
Old 06-11-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had it tell me things were out of stock, then ship them the same day anyway...
Old 06-11-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in their retail store yesterday and they had plenty of TOBG and Bucket List on Blu, so I don't know why their warehouse would be out. I actually stopped in to get Natural Born Killers on Blu since it was cheaper than getting it from Amazon.

I haven't really ordered anything from their site since the store opened last summer.
Old 06-11-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never really had any issues with them. Even if I did, the 20% off sale would certainly help ease the inconvenience of having to wait for an item.
Old 06-11-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reverie
I've had it tell me things were out of stock, then ship them the same day anyway...
Well, you're very lucky. Unfortunately that hasn't happened to me. I even called yesterday after I got the e-mail and the agent confirmed there were none in stock.
Old 06-11-08, 07:00 PM

Are you really that impatient about getting to see The Other Boleyn Girl? It's in stock at Amazon, pay the extra $5 and you'll be enjoying the film soon. If you want to save the $5, order it from DD, it may be in stock tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Choose what's more important, getting it soon or saving money.
Old 06-12-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vcuram
Are you really that impatient about getting to see The Other Boleyn Girl? It's in stock at Amazon, pay the extra $5 and you'll be enjoying the film soon. If you want to save the $5, order it from DD, it may be in stock tomorrow, or next week, or next month. Choose what's more important, getting it soon or saving money.
Sigh. Thanks for completely ignoring the point of my original post. I said "The Other Boleyn Girl" was just the latest DVD I've tried to purchase that wasn't available. But thanks for all your tips and advice.
Old 06-12-08, 07:20 PM

Well, it's the same for any DVD. If you're that impatient to get anything, pay the extra money and get it elsewhere. You complained in the DD sale thread and felt it necessary to tell us all how you're done with DD in a new thread. We get it. Stuff you want is out of stock. Being the 18 billionth person to whine about DD isn't going to change anything.
Old 06-12-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never really understood the "all or nothing" mentality that people seem to have with Deep Discount. Maybe it's because I don't under dozens of movies at a time and thousands of dollars worth of stuff.

Can't you just order what is in stock that you save money with, And order from somewhere else on items that are back ordered or out of stock? It's the same with people who said they would stop ordering because prices for some items went up before the sale, or after the sale wasn't cheaper then Amazon.
Old 06-12-08, 07:29 PM

I would shop a lot more at DD if it wasn't for the slow shipping. I don't know why it is so slow. I get media mail from Ebay purchases and from Amazon and it arrives in 3 or 4 days. I get the shipping notice from DD and if it shows up in 3 weeks, it is a miracle. You can say the post office sucks, but why does it only suck for this one company?
Old 06-12-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vcuram
Well, it's the same for any DVD. If you're that impatient to get anything, pay the extra money and get it elsewhere. You complained in the DD sale thread and felt it necessary to tell us all how you're done with DD in a new thread. We get it. Stuff you want is out of stock. Being the 18 billionth person to whine about DD isn't going to change anything.
Thanks for speaking for everyone vcuram ("we get it"). And stalking me no less. I've commented about this in a whopping two threads. Wow, slap the cuffs on me. And this is a store discussion thread. Good or bad. If you can't take the "whining", get lost.
Old 06-12-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RonG617
I would shop a lot more at DD if it wasn't for the slow shipping. I don't know why it is so slow. I get media mail from Ebay purchases and from Amazon and it arrives in 3 or 4 days. I get the shipping notice from DD and if it shows up in 3 weeks, it is a miracle. You can say the post office sucks, but why does it only suck for this one company?
That's about the only positive thing I can say about DD lately. Their media mail shipping isn't as slow as it used to be. For me anyway.
Old 06-12-08, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by RonG617
Agreed as I live around 2 hours south of their IL site. So postage from there gets delivered here in 2 days via media (I have have made dvd trades from a town next to there). My free shipping normally takes a good 2-3 weeks to get here. No excuse for that.
Old 06-13-08, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by pvdfan
Agreed as I live around 2 hours south of their IL site. So postage from there gets delivered here in 2 days via media (I have have made dvd trades from a town next to there). My free shipping normally takes a good 2-3 weeks to get here. No excuse for that.
I live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and my free shipping takes (usually) 3-5 weeks, although there have been exceptions. The low price offsets the long arrival time, and I've never had a problem with any of the DVDs I've ordered being out of stock, but I've never ordered anything that's just been released, or is in any way considered popular.

YMMV
Old 06-13-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Haven't they always had slow shipping during the sales? I remember a couple years ago, placing a huge order in November to complete most of my Christmas shopping. It took 3-4 weeks after getting a shipping notice to actually receive the items. I'll order at least a handful of things from them every time they have the sale, but I never expect anything to get here quickly.
Old 06-13-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They bumped my shipping up to UPS and I got my order in 3 days
Old 06-13-08, 08:51 AM

I would love to see DeepDiscount post "We are done with ........." LOL!

James
Old 06-13-08, 11:51 AM
X
Administrator

I wish they taught the advantages of delayed gratification in school.
Old 06-13-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I live in upstate NY and it takes about 7 to 10 days to get to me. I don't mind, if I want it fast I use DVD Empire or I pay shipping at Amazon. If I ordered with free shipping from Amazon they keep my order (all items in stock) about 4 to 7 days before they ship it but then it takes only 2 days to get here which in the end comes out to the same as the DD shipping.

Dirk

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.