Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
This is obviously intended as a fix to the situation where buyers were reluctant to leave negative seller feedback in fear of retaliation. I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but I can't think of a better idea.
Do not reveal feedback to the other until both buyer and seller have left feedback or the alloted time to leave feedback has expired.
Old 01-31-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ben12
In a small number of cases (fewer than 5% of all payments on eBay), PayPal will hold payment funds until either the buyer has left positive Feedback or 21 days have passed without a claim.
It might be fewer than 5% of payments, but its going to be way more than 5% of sellers. What percentage of payments are received by power sellers?

That change won't affect me, but it will affect a much higher percentage of non-power sellers than 5%.
Old 01-31-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
Do not reveal feedback to the other until both buyer and seller have left feedback or the alloted time to leave feedback has expired.
That would benefit the scammers, since negative feedback wouldn't show up until the end of the alloted time. It would give them a lot more time to scam people.
Old 01-31-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New ebay rules: what in the sam hill?? "important seller pricing changes "

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...ellers-ri.html

Good thing I actually read this email. It's a lot more than just fee changes.

Summary on fees: Insertion fee reduced, final value fee increased. That sucks IMO. It sounds like an increase overall to me.

Big change: you can no longer give buyers anything but positive feedback. What the hell?

Now I can be a dick to every ebay seller when I buy something! Whee!

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 01-31-08 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's bullshit. It's free game to rip off sellers.
Old 01-31-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Repost from store forum. Long thread over there.
Old 01-31-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

C'mon onver

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523795
Old 01-31-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
We should merge this thread into the store forum one, and move the sillymonkey Bestbuy one here...
Old 01-31-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, thanks guys. I'll go read over there. Didn't think to look there since most of the ebay threads are here.
Old 01-31-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got busted for "shill" bidding..... not sure how i got caught, but i did

anyhow, i had to take some 15min test on why its bad to shill bid......
Old 01-31-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It might be fewer than 5% of payments, but its going to be way more than 5% of sellers. What percentage of payments are received by power sellers?

That change won't affect me, but it will affect a much higher percentage of non-power sellers than 5%.
Overall this seems aimed to benefit certain power sellers, and buyers. Small sellers are getting the shaft here.

I'm going to look into the Amazon marketplace for video games and other media. I think I'll only be doing ebay for odd things like computer hardware, household objects, oldschool video games, etc.
Old 01-31-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive already commented, but these new fees are definitely going to cut back on my selling. I will continue to buy and sell higher ticket items, but most of the time Im selling dvd's and other under $25 stuff and its just not worth it, I just got done selling a few small value items and they all sold for alot less than they usually do, couple transformer steel books, one sold for like 22 the other 17 that including shipping. Ive gotten upwards of $45 in the past for these. I think people are cutting back on their spending and this especially includes ebay and non-essentials. So if I can get stuff like the james bond sets for $80 and resell for $130+, I will sell, but most of the time its cheaper stuff where Im selling something for $25 on a $10-15 investment. But they are doing such a great service not charging for unsold items, yeah right. So I can list a hot bag of trash with no recourse. Thats what they want right, more auctions
Old 01-31-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I wish a viable alternative came up ... I'm kind of surprised there isn't one yet.
Old 02-01-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wait, wait. So DVD Josh is annoyed that someone is playing cop on the forum? Someone help me, is that irony, or just hypocrisy?
Old 02-01-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 228 Posts
Another upcoming problem is the new search. Sellers who've tried it say it's horrible--some auctions never end up on the first page, yet everyone will be charged the same to list.
Old 02-01-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Wow, I wish a viable alternative came up ... I'm kind of surprised there isn't one yet.
My thought is that Ebay is up after next quarters earnings and down around $20 mid-summer.

If I wanted to buy stuff from a legit seller and pay a fixed price I would be on Amazon or Walmart.com, not Ebay.
Old 02-01-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by neiname
My thought is that Ebay is up after next quarters earnings and down around $20 mid-summer.

If I wanted to buy stuff from a legit seller and pay a fixed price I would be on Amazon or Walmart.com, not Ebay.
Every one of my buyers is purchasing a fixed price item from a legit seller. People do like Buy It Now.
Old 02-01-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
from 5.25% to 8.75% on stuff under $25, Im going to save so much money with these "lower fees".
But your insertion fee is a nickel less!

If I had a nickel for every time I saved on an insertion fee, why...um...yeah, it would still suck.
Old 02-02-08, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Can't wait to register a new account, buy some movies, use paypal, get movies, leave the seller a negative, and then file a charge back! What are they gonna do, leave me a positive?!? Mwuahaha

Seriously, this is what scammers are already thinking.
Old 02-04-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is something from another site I visit.

People are trying to organize a boycott of eBay for the week of February 18th through the 25th. This means no buying, selling, or searching.

Why?

Ebay is planning on increasing fees across the board and destroying the current feedback system for sellers.

Paypal is also planning changes that will allow them to hold on to your money, interest free, for 21 days.

Don't like these changes? What can you do?

First watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23TomS5--nQ

Then read the discussion on the official ebay boards to see what you can do including cancelling your paypal account and getting helpful phone numbers and email addresses.

edited: link invalid

Lets see what we can do.

Not sure if it would make a difference, but some unified show of displeasure is needed.

Last edited by A-aron; 02-04-08 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-04-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might actually have to stop using eBay. And I was just about to throw some stuff on there (DVD's/games).

= J
Old 02-05-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'm done with eBay. I'm not interested in giving them an even bigger chunk of the final sales price. I'd rather give my CD's and DVD's to Goodwill.

What they really need to address is people charging 1 cent for an item and $50 shipping. That, more than anything, is destroying eBay's "reputation" IMO.
Old 02-05-08, 02:21 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the new rules.......as a buyer.

I do most of my business anyway with amazon because I feel more protected. I have never liked, nor will I ever like Paypal.

Last edited by foxdvd; 02-05-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 02:29 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to add, most people who sell on ebay have a feeling that the buyer and seller should be equal, as we are all humans, and all should be equal. Gone is the sense of “the customer is always right”

Now I know there are a lot of asshole ebay buyers who cry if even one thing goes wrong with the transaction, but waitresses, small business owners, and even large stores have had to deal with these same customers forever. Ultimately as a seller you blend the good with the bad. Still if the arrow is going to lean anyway at all, it needs to lean toward the buyer. That is the cost of selling, and unfortunately ebay has shifted towards the seller to far.

I have stopped shopping there, and I have NEVER left bad feedback. It is just the sense that when I have had a small problem, the seller could care less. That makes me not want to shop, and less buyers = bad for sellers. (as some have pointed out less sellers = bad for buyers)

These changes might not be right, but I can see what they are trying to do. (outside the cost increase which is obviously a way to make more money)

Last edited by foxdvd; 02-05-08 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I've been a buyer there since 2001, but mostly a seller. If these changes do indeed go through, I will most likely stop using them. At the very least, I will no longer offer paypal as a payment option. But that would likely hurt my bids, so I'd probably just move to Amazon, even though I've never used them.

I refuse to have my money held in escrow against my will.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.