Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Old 02-06-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
People are trying to organize a boycott of eBay for the week of February 18th through the 25th. This means no buying, selling, or searching.
That sucks! Now I have to get my auctions up ASAP. I'll probably move to half.com or amazon after the 20th but the boycott is making things a little more difficult before that date, especially if I need to re-list an item that doesn't sell the first time. I don't have a problem with informing people of the truth but let them make their own decisions, don't lead them like a pack of sheep.
Old 02-07-08, 03:05 PM
Suspended

I know another person posted about the boycott, but I thought you guys might like a direct link to the ebay forum where they're talking about the boycott http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.js...636290&start=0
Old 02-12-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is an auction that you might be interested in looking at ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=005
Old 02-12-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this on Yahoo Tech news:

Answering anger, eBay cuts more fees By AMANDA FEHD, Associated Press Writer
Mon Feb 11, 6:02 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - EBay Inc. bowed to pressure Monday from some of its high-volume sellers, saying it will further cut listing fees for books, music, movies and video games sold through the online auction site.

Monday's move amends a fee structure announced last month and could mean savings for merchants who sell those goods in high volume. Those sellers had expected to lose money from the new plan, slated to take effect Feb. 20. Some had threatened to stop selling on eBay.

The company said last month it plans to cut the fees for listing an item but raise eBay's commissions on items that sell. Merchants quickly complained the cuts were not enough to balance the hike in commissions.

Monday's amendment further cuts by as much as half the listing fees for items in the "media" category selling for less than $25.

Shares of eBay rose 10 cents, about one-third of 1 percent, to close at $28.17 Monday.

The two rounds of changes come as eBay struggles with flattening growth in listings and the number of active users and with a gradual loss of market share to Amazon.com, which does not charge listing fees.

Online message boards have been abuzz with threats of a site-wide sellers strike since the new fee structure was announced.

People who sell media items complained the changes would hit them especially hard because they post many more listings than other sellers some offering more than 40,000 items on eBay each month.

Lorrie Norrington, president of eBay's Global Marketplace Operations, which includes the company's online shopping sites, announced the new changes Monday.

"We heard your comments about the need for media and category-specific pricing," Norrington said in a statement posted online.

Steve Grossberg a top seller of video games and president of the Internet Merchants Association, which lobbied the company to take another look at the new fee plan said Monday's announcement will benefit thousands of media sellers like him. Now most sellers in the category, if not all, will see their fees go down, he said.

He says the media category accounts for 10 percent of core listings.

Company spokesman Usher Lieberman said the "change in the media category will not have a material impact" on company finances.

Media sellers have long asked for a fee structure specific to their category because of their low profit margins and average selling price and high listing volume, said Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Derek Brown.

"Part of the concern these sellers had was that their fees were likely going to be going up as a result of all these changes, and that would have discouraged their listings and sales," Brown said.

"I don't believe it was their (eBay's) intent to discourage listings from happening in the first place, but that may have been an unintended consequence, particularly in the media category," Brown said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/...rlXsJ3O1AjtBAF
Old 02-12-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck

Monday's amendment further cuts by as much as half the listing fees for items in the "media" category selling for less than $25.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080211/...rlXsJ3O1AjtBAF
Any idea what the rates will be. From that sentence it says the listing fees would be cut in half, arent the listing fees set at the beginning of the auction. How do they know if it sells for less than $25 at the beginning?
Old 02-12-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im all for the boycott too. At least this boycott makes sense, not like the stupid dont buy gasoline on such a such a day. Buy it the day before or the day after basically, that'll show em.
Old 02-12-08, 01:40 PM

If ebay was clever they would offer some
sort free listing promotion for that week.

On the boycott I am on the fence.
I am reading some sellers going over
to halfcom. I think if you are going
to boycott, should be all of ebay
owned companies. No paypal, etc.
Old 02-16-08, 05:36 AM

I just got an email with the new rates today. But it's not the prices that bother me, it's the paypal thing.
Old 02-17-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't want to be at the mercy of the buyers. Simple as that. If they buy an item, I ship it the next day, they get it and don't like it, guess what, I'm screwed. They hold all the cards. Ridiculous.
Old 02-17-08, 02:18 AM

Yeah that article misses the biggest gripe of the sellers: the safety net that the buyers now own which happens to be just the right size to smother the seller. That's seriously an eBay-approved newsstory: total blowjob for the company via not even mentioning the real complaints with Paypal and feedback
Old 02-17-08, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am sure this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but why hasn't a formidable alternative to Ebay come online yet? I have seen a few minor auction sites here and there....but none of them really offer much. We have Yahoo and Google, amazon.com and sites like buy.com and deepdiscount.com, and so on. I bet for every major site somebody lists there is an alternative out there that's formidable. And for all this complaining about Ebay nobody has offered anything to counter it that can attract millions of sellers as well?
Old 02-17-08, 02:13 PM

The problem is finding an auction site that has as much exposure as ebay. I use it not because of company practicies or policies, but because it has the largest user base of online auctions. I don't know how much I'll use it after the pricing change; the new paypal policy doesn't affect me in the slightest as I dumped it years ago for the companies poor business practices. If there were a viable alternative to getting my items as much exposure as ebay, I'd be for it. The only problem is, I'd bet that as soon as it built up a similar user base, that company would also increase its fees as well. Ebay isn't raising fees because it's offering newer/ better service, it's pure profit (or an attempt to decrease debt) for them.

Also, ebay policies on deadbeat bidders and theiving sellers have no teeth. They can't do anything to anyone and multiple bidders can be ripped off by the same seller before ebay suspends their account, at which time they just open another one and start over.

But the largest problem for me, as a seller, are the deadbeat bidders. What ebay should do is require ALL USERS to input a credit card that can be charged into an escrow account. If for some reason a bidder decides not to honor their contract, their credit card gets hit for the costs, and remains in escrow for a certain period giving them a chance to pay and honor the contract. If not the seller is issued the funds. But honestly, an unscrupulous seller could always claim there was no payment, so even that idea isn't perfect. I suppose they could also work on this system to help bidders that have been ripped off, but I feel that should be more the responsibility of the payment method. I have no idea how legal this is, but even if the ebay lawyers could get their junk together, ebay still wouldn't implement it. Once an item is listed, ebay gets paid. Once an item has a bid (that at least meets any set reserve), ebay gets paid. The seller has to do all the work when a bidder backs out; wait at least 8 days, relist the auction or contact the next highewst bidder (if any) in hopes that someone else will buy the item and they can recoup costs. If a buyer were busy or unfamiliar with the process, they'd lose their insertion and FVF, free money to ebay.

If and when another auction site becomes established, I'd like to see the users join ebay, then starts thousands of bogus $0.01 auctions that use keywords for the most popular items, and use those auctions to advertise the new site as a superior alternative to ebay... millions in low cost promotion.
Old 02-18-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We deal with surplus commercial, industrial, and professional-related equipment. Luckily, we've worked into a market that's entirely different than the 'consumer' grade stuff that a lot of people deal with. I've been on eBay since around 2000. Our monthly bill is around $5000. Another $2000 or so goes to PayPal.

I fully understand both sides of the new feedback policy. I also understand PayPal's new "pending balance" structure. I didn't guff and reject it immediately. While I won't be 'boycotting', this set of changes has given me initiative to start utilizing our personal website, along with smaller trade-specific sites (ie. LabX.Com, Used-Line.Com, PLCCenter.Com). I've casually used these sites for the past couple years, and have gotten tons of leads. Also, with the type of sales we do, people usually say that they found us from a Google search (as opposed to 'oh, I was looking around eBay).

I am also taking the step to minimize our PayPal-related merchant payments. Currently, we accept PayPal, and use a proper PayPal-run 'merchant' account to accept credit cards directly. While we will still take PayPal, I am going to start using a checkout system that allows the customer to pay 'directly' to our merchant account. And, that being said, I am moving our merchant account from PayPal to Alliant.

eBay is excellent for the exposure. They've been slowing raising fees and subtly pushing sellers around. The thing is that they seem to think that they NOT dealing with "liquidation" people. It seems like eBay, themselves, have forgotten that "all sales are final" at a regular auction. WE take phone calls. WE take returns. WE have grown into a company that puts a very basic, casual "guarantee" with most all of our sales. But this is NOT typical 'as-is auction' etiquette that has been in place long before eBay was around. And people (eBayers AND eBay themselves) just don't seem to understand that. Liquidation companies are out there selling items for $150, which retail for $3000, and cost $1700 on the 'used' market. They're selling them "as-is", and people still presume that it's 'guaranteed' to an extent.

I know people who have eaten a lot of shit on sales that they were very upfront and honest about. Sometimes we'll have so much incoming equipment that we'll just liquidate everything and start it at $9.99. Those seem to be the times when we have the most 'jerkoff' customers. When I list a knowninlgy-broken, "as is" item, I'll state three times in the descriptions (ie ... from one of my auctions), "This is used and in good condition. It is not a rebuild. The motor is frozen. It'll need some work. It is being SOLD AS-IS. NO RETURNS. NO REFUNDS. NO EXCEPTIONS FOR ANY REASON." And I STILL have to eat shit on some of these types of listings.

Here is another one, fresh for me this morning. Someone that I'll possibly get a negative feedback from. This guy bought this item over the weekend, and emailed me asking for a shipping quote for Fed Ex Overnight. I gave him all of the shipping options. Note that this was a $32 'liquidation' item.

---------- MY EMAIL TO HIM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting me.

Here are all of the Fed Ex Express options. This doesn't weigh too much (around 15 lbs boxed). But the only box that I have to put it in is a 24x12x12. So the box's dimensions make the shipping cost a bit high.

8:00 AM FedEx First OvernightR 149.95
10:30 AM FedEx Priority OvernightR 119.95
3:00 PM FedEx Standard OvernightR 109.95
4:30 PM FedEx 2DayR 54.95
4:30 PM FedEx Express SaverR 44.95

If you'd like any of those options, just let me know. You can either add the cost in your PayPal payment, or I can re-send an updated invoice if you prefer.

Feel free to call or email if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

{Signature w/Phone #}
---------- HE REPLIED THIS MORNING
I have paid for the item. I am a new company and I am trying to package environmentally friendly building materials. Trying to get America on board, with what the rest of the world has been doing for a while,... I wanted to share with you, how ironic this evening was for me. I have been dealing with some new vendors overseas, and they are so nice. I opened anemail from a fellow in India right before opening yours. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he is shipping me three 5'x7' samples of organic wool carpet, all for free, and in 3 days time (it will be here Monday, and it left Wednesday, via Fed-Ex). But my fellow American, is wanting $150, due to a box (or lack thereof), to get me a very small package right down the street. And you have the nerve to put a smiley face with your offer..? You must deal with a lot of pencil pushing rich guys? It is no wonder businesses have such a hard time in America, and all
business is getting sent overseas. "God Bless America" .... we need it.. ... {name}
---------

I see that the guy left negative feedback for people before. Am I going to get a negative for that? Maybe not now, since I can leave him a negative in return. But I would definately expect one if this jerk could do it without any damage. It's like, what does eBay expect us to do with these types of people? Is there going to be a private "file buyer complaint" process that they're going to manage? I'd say that I deal with this sort of thing (stupidity) a few times a week. Right now, we just get a negative/neutral once or two or three times a month - 90% of which are people like this. And THAT is OK with me. THAT is a system that works. But what now? Everyone like this is going to start leaving bad feedback? Our FB rating is going to go from 99.3% to what ... 96%? That's unexceptable to me.
Old 02-18-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ooo. Here's an example of a neutral feedback that I received the other day. A perfect example of why this new system isn't going to work.

---
as is, for parts was accurate warning many corroded parts Buyer: {buyer} ( 34)
Reply by trch24 To be accurate, we also stated, "It WILL NOT POWER UP" twice! Unfair feedback.
GRALAB DIMCO-GRAY 168 UNIVERSAL LAB & DARKROOM TIMER ($9.99)
---

The exact wording in the listing read, "It WILL NOT POWER UP! It is being sold as-is. NO REFUNDS. NO RETURNS. NO EXCEPTIONS! All sales are final." I also stated, "This does not power up. It is being sold 'for parts or repair'."

As it goes, I had already left a positive feedback. So I couldn't do anything about a retalitory feedback. But that was like an "OH REALLY??? ... C'MON" feedback.
Old 02-18-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Last post for now... Maybe it was discussed already... But regarding PayPal's new 'funding holds'... PayPal is only going to be holding 'sketchy' transactions. They're not going to be holding EVERYONE'S money. It'll be interesting to see exactly how it work out. But I'm presuming that only 10% (at the most) of my transaction will actually be held.

I don't know the legal babel. But is PayPal going to be 'floating' that money while the seller waits? If so, that's a bit infuriating. That would mean that they're more interested in making an extra billion pennies than making it a safer place to deal.
Old 02-18-08, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Ooo. Here's an example of a neutral feedback that I received the other day. A perfect example of why this new system isn't going to work.
On the flip side you have another transaction that the new system is trying to eliminate. You sold an item but couldn't deliver it because you oversold. It's an honest mistake but the buyer has the right to leave negative feedback especially if he lost money during the exchange, which I don't quite understand, yet you leave retaliatory feedback when he did nothing wrong.
Old 02-18-08, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
On the flip side you have another transaction that the new system is trying to eliminate. You sold an item but couldn't deliver it because you oversold. It's an honest mistake but the buyer has the right to leave negative feedback especially if he lost money during the exchange, which I don't quite understand, yet you leave retaliatory feedback when he did nothing wrong.
Where does his post indicate he oversold?
Where does he say he left retaliatory FB?
Old 02-18-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sold my first item on Amazon - Trauma Center for the Wii - I like it so far. It's nice to see upfront what your take-home amount is after fees, and no listing fees, and no need to constantly re-list to sell something with low demand, no need to take a picture.

I've got my last batch of auctions up on ebay. I'll be saving ebay just for oldschool videogames and non-media type stuff.
Old 02-18-08, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Funk
Where does his post indicate he oversold?
Where does he say he left retaliatory FB?
His post doesn't indicate either one which is why I said another transaction. He posted his eBay name so I checked out the auction in question from his post and noticed a recent negative he received and saw he left a retaliatory negative even though he listed an item and didn't deliver it.
Old 02-18-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
His post doesn't indicate either one which is why I said another transaction. He posted his eBay name so I checked out the auction in question from his post and noticed a recent negative he received and saw he left a retaliatory negative even though he listed an item and didn't deliver it.
You're correct. And, actually, someone saw the auction, called and purchased the item directly. I just forgot to end the listing.

It was ...borderline... retalitory feedback. I wasn't like "that sumbitch goddamnit". I rarely leave negative feedback for anyone. The guy was in Canada. At the time, I hadn't collected extra shipping (which would have pushed the price up to almost the list price of around $150).

The feedback stated something like, 'seller did not have item, and then messed up and issued a refund in the incorrect currency'. I actually emailed the guy after he left a negative, and asked if that actually happened, and said that we'd take care of fixing it. He emailed back and said 'don't worry about it - I was just in a bad mood the other day - the refund was OK'.

As it sits, I asked him to do a "mutual feedback withdrawl". So hopefully both feedbacks are neutralized.
Old 02-18-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But the only box that I have to put it in is a 24x12x12. So the box's dimensions make the shipping cost a bit high.
I can appreciate your situation but I would never have said those words. Opens up all kinds of ways for the nut jobs to beat you up over price of shipping.

I don't have commercial sales (although I'd like to) but personally I cancelled my paypal account and will boycott ebay. We need a competative auction site.

Last edited by kayak99; 02-18-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 08:31 PM

Reading this thread & other sites I kind of see
why ebay had to try something different.

Will it work?...... Time will tell.
Old 02-18-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last post for now... Maybe it was discussed already... But regarding PayPal's new 'funding holds'... PayPal is only going to be holding 'sketchy' transactions. They're not going to be holding EVERYONE'S money. It'll be interesting to see exactly how it work out. But I'm presuming that only 10% (at the most) of my transaction will actually be held.

I don't know the legal babel. But is PayPal going to be 'floating' that money while the seller waits? If so, that's a bit infuriating. That would mean that they're more interested in making an extra billion pennies than making it a safer place to deal.
Hey Troy. The problem with Paypal holding funds is the domino effect. If you have DSR (star ratings) below a certain threshold, your stuff will be held. And the threshold is not low, its like 4.2 stars are something. Considering you are dealing with a 5 point system, I can see plenty of buyers giving you a 4, if they didn't have the best experience ever...especially since the DSRs are anoymous and buyers aren't afraid of possible negative feedback.

Once your DSRs for a 12 month period cross that threshold, your funds are going to be held. Your 8 years of feedback, I would guess its very high, means nothing.
Old 02-21-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A heads up .. eBays listings are down over 2 million since the beginning of the boycott. However, there is now talk that the boycott may extend beyond the planned week.
Old 02-21-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598
A heads up .. eBays listings are down over 2 million since the beginning of the boycott. However, there is now talk that the boycott may extend beyond the planned week.
Maybe eBay will realize that they're just a middleman, universal marketplace, who superficially squeezes themselves into people's transactions. And if businesses wanted to, they could survive outside. But it's their users who need to take the step to set up their own businesses - not eBay.

I listed around 200 items so far this week. And I just paid a $6700 bill. Long live eBay! Boo. Hiss.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.