Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Old 01-29-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It definitely looks like my Ebay time is coming to an end. I've been on Ebay since '99, but there's no way I'm putting up with a 66% rate increase on almost every item I sell and the possibility of funds being held (even though I currently exceed all their requirements).

There are just too many things that can go wrong with the new policies. NO WAY I let merchandise out of my possession without the money in my account, especially when I can't even neg a buyer for pulling chargeback fraud.

I'll just start selling everything through Amazon Marketplace, as I expect many others will as well, since the rates will now be about the same, and they don't have the asinine potential hold policy.

Looks like I'll be cutting down quite a bit on my blind buys as well, as I usually unload them on Ebay.
Old 01-29-08, 02:08 PM

I only gave things a cursory read-- but I can't find anywhere where eBay claimed that this would save most people money. In fact, they seem to be being pretty up front about it.

First, we're reducing the up-front risk for all of you by lowering insertion fees for auction and fixed price listings across the board...and we're balancing that change by adjusting some final value fees.
The bold is theirs...

I agree that it sucks for me, and that this plus the fact that eBay also makes a percentage when I use PayPal will probably keep me from selling on eBay as frequently. Still... I don't think they're being shady or anything.
Old 01-29-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be closing my Paypal account as well so nothing is open with association to my bank account. Ebay and Paypal can both suck it. What idiots - they've made quite a lot of money off me for years.
Old 01-29-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This thread title needs to be changed. This is a sad day for me, I love Ebay its kinda a fun timekiller but I won't participate in the new regime of crazy fees, possibly held funds and buyer only feedback.
Old 01-29-08, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by excom101
I only gave things a cursory read-- but I can't find anywhere where eBay claimed that this would save most people money. In fact, they seem to be being pretty up front about it.

The bold is theirs...

I agree that it sucks for me, and that this plus the fact that eBay also makes a percentage when I use PayPal will probably keep me from selling on eBay as frequently. Still... I don't think they're being shady or anything.
On second thought... this is slightly misleading, though not technically inaccurate:

The first of our big changes is in pricing. We're making a fundamental change to the economics of selling on eBay, resulting in three significant price reductions, effective February 20:
bold mine...
Old 01-29-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chanster
This thread title needs to be changed. This is a sad day for me, I love Ebay its kinda a fun timekiller but I won't participate in the new regime of crazy fees, possibly held funds and buyer only feedback.
Agreed. That old saying "If it ain't broke..." comes to mind.

New management always have to look like they're doing something, hence the idiotic changes.

Anyone who has stock in Ebay and/or Paypal should be selling right now.
Old 01-29-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Agreed. That old saying "If it ain't broke..." comes to mind.

New management always have to look like they're doing something, hence the idiotic changes.

Anyone who has stock in Ebay and/or Paypal should be selling right now.
I just wish that everyone who whines and complains about fees and threatens to not use ebay anymore would stand by their word and stop using ebay.
Old 01-29-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea I really am finished.

Its going to effect my purchasing decisions too as I don't want to be stuck with things I don't want.
Old 01-29-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer
I just wish that everyone who whines and complains about fees and threatens to not use ebay anymore would stand by their word and stop using ebay.
Who pissed in your Cheerios?

I don't believe I ever threatened to do this before, and I assure you I am quite serious.

This will be bad for buyers in the long run if more established sellers like myself leave.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 01-29-08 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many people will go back to only accepting Money Orders? It'll be like 1999 all over again.

I could also see some 3rd party payment providers getting the benefit of people looking to circumvent Paypal.
Old 01-29-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

I don't believe I ever threatened to do this before, and I assure you I am quite serious.

This will be bad for buyers in the long run if more established sellers like myself leave.
Bunk, you can't take things on the internet so literally. You assume that he knows you from Adam. I can assure that he does not.

However, he's not wrong. We have many people who say "I will never watch / do / listen / think" something again, and yet they do, often times mere days later.

It's just a common on social mores and not you in particular.
Old 01-29-08, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by excom101
It might not be a claim, but it certainly is implied that that's what their new CEO said...

Incoming Chief Executive John Donahoe told a gathering of 200 of eBay's top North American sellers in Washington that a majority of sellers will see their fees go down, and that the new fee structure is going to be driven by the success of sellers.
Article
Old 01-29-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Final value fees for items selling under $25 are going up 66% to 8.75%.
Yikes!

I have 16 DVDs I need to sell before this change goes into effect or just start selling on Amazon.
Old 01-29-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but there's no way I'm putting up with a 66% rate increase on almost every item I sell and the possibility of funds being held (even though I currently exceed all their requirements).

There are just too many things that can go wrong with the new policies. NO WAY I let merchandise out of my possession without the money in my account, especially when I can't even neg a buyer for pulling chargeback fraud.
i agree mostly. i may still sell some, but most of the things i sell are usually under $25 so i will just take them somewhere locally and get some credit for them. i could handle the fees, if it were just a fee increase. the payment hold thing bothers me the most. how much trouble is this going to cause, when people won't mail out items because their payment is being held? i don't care what ebay says about their hold policies, they can change at any time and then you are up a creek.
Old 01-29-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'd like to know your justification for this statement. Mine is the actual eBay release:

"Also, for a small number of these transactions paid with PayPal, when eBay suspects the transaction may result in a dissatisfied customer, PayPal will delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute."

THAT is when they will initiate a PP hold.

You are stating that there is a global hold. At least that is what your post inferred.

But at least you need to justify what ebay's "propoganda" is and why the actual release says something different than you.

You inferred. His post implied.
Old 01-29-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
You inferred. His post implied.
Old 01-29-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neiname
How am I supposed to deal with people like this if I can't leave the appropriate feedback?

Here is the feedback I received (neutral)
"game unable to play on slim PS2 no fault of seller" for a Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII game I sold on Half.com. Work perfectly on my PS2 so I'm supposed to know it won't work on his? He never contacted me about it so I plan on leaving either neutral or negative feedback as he is overly sensitive
Originally Posted by ben12
He even admits it's not your fault, so why would he not give you positive feedback? Ugh.
Why would he give him a positive feedback for a game that doesnt work?
Really, some sellers are just overly sensitive. The whole point of the neutral feedback is for the transactions that didnt go as smoothly as they should have for something little. Personally, I would have left a negative feedback, unless the seller rememdied the situation. The buyer did the right thing here in not giveing a feedback that would affect your overall score.
Old 01-29-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Idiot.
Old 01-29-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Why would he give him a positive feedback for a game that doesnt work?
Really, some sellers are just overly sensitive. The whole point of the neutral feedback is for the transactions that didnt go as smoothly as they should have for something little. Personally, I would have left a negative feedback, unless the seller rememdied the situation. The buyer did the right thing here in not giveing a feedback that would affect your overall score.
It sounded like that was a problem with his PS2 or that the slim model isn't backwards-compatible with that game. Am I wrong about that? If I'm not, it's not the seller's fault, it's the buyer's for not knowing what they were buying. If the transaction went smoothly and he got his purchase, he should give positive feedback. Doing what he did would be like me buying Mac software to run on my PC and then giving the seller neutral feedback because the software won't run on my computer.

But again, I could be wrong about the situation. The buyer does say that it's not the seller's fault.
Old 01-29-08, 05:07 PM

I'm looking at selling at Amazon now so can someone confirm the pricing for a $10.00 item w/ $3.00 shipping with Amazon vs eBay.

Amazon - $.99 + .80 + 1.50 (15%) = $3.29

New eBay - $.15-.55 insertion + .88 final (8.75%) + .30 (PayPal fee) + .38 (2.9% PayPal fee) = $1.71 - $2.11

Old eBay - $.20-.60 insertion + .53 final (5.25%) +.30 (PayPal fee) + .38 (2.9% PayPal fee) = $1.41 - $1.81

Amazon seems a little high, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited by DVDho78DTS; 01-29-08 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
New eBay - $.15-.55 insertion + 1.25 final (8.75%) + .30 (PayPal fee) + .38 (2.9% PayPal fee) = $2.08 - $2.48
8.75% of $10.00 = $0.88
Old 01-29-08, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sinned
8.75% of $10.00 = $0.88
Thanks.

Not sure how I got that number since 10% is $1 but it's fixed; see anything else wrong? That Amazon price can't be right? Is there a discount I'm missing?
Old 01-29-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bunk, you can't take things on the internet so literally. You assume that he knows you from Adam. I can assure that he does not.

However, he's not wrong. We have many people who say "I will never watch / do / listen / think" something again, and yet they do, often times mere days later.

It's just a common on social mores and not you in particular.
That's fine. It's just that quoting me seemed to imply I was whining, when in fact I have very good reasons to be pissed off.
Old 01-29-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD-ho78(DTS)
I'm looking at selling at Amazon now so can someone confirm the pricing for a $10.00 item w/ $3.00 shipping with Amazon vs eBay.

Amazon - $.99 + .80 + 1.50 (15%) = $3.29

New eBay - $.15-.55 insertion + .88 final (8.75%) + .30 (PayPal fee) + .38 (2.9% PayPal fee) = $1.71 - $2.11

Old eBay - $.20-.60 insertion + .53 final (5.25%) +.30 (PayPal fee) + .38 (2.9% PayPal fee) = $1.41 - $1.81

Amazon seems a little high, what am I doing wrong?
Amazon will probably still be higher, but prices also trend higher there, and the exposure is much better. When someone sees your listing odds are better on Amazon they were looking for it specifically, instead of just browsing Ebay.
Old 01-29-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon doesn't charge an insertion fee right ...so what is that .99 cent charge there?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.