Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Changes at Ebay: New Fees, Free Gallery...Positive feedback for Buyers only

Old 02-21-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This just popped into my head... Take jayandmarie's One Cent CD's (around 370k feedback). I bet that they have such a huge following, that they could thrive on their own website. They could pay someone $15k to set up a really good looking, functional bidding site. And they're probably save $10k a month on fees (this is just guestimating ... I'm not looking into it too far). But I wonder if they'll ever try anything like that. Probably not.

Phoenix-based Bargainland Liquidation (bargainland) - who I think sold junk to their last eBay customer) recently stopped selling on eBay. I'm not sure what they're up to. They're definately an extreme version of the 'liquidation guys' that I referred to earlier. They were universally hated. Some random people on this forum may have even purchased from them. But they were simply never dishonest. Hell, their motto was basically 'cheap price first, customer service a distant second'. And they'd directly state 'this item was not worth us testing'. I'd guess that they could easily survive on their own website.
Old 02-26-08, 10:39 AM
Banned

I was thinking... eBay's fees only apply to the sale price of the item and not shipping, right? What if people starting listing all their items as 'Buy It Now' for $1 with a huge shipping cost? Might be a way to screw eBay a bit. You could probably even say right in the listing why it's priced the way it is, just to make a point.
Old 02-26-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Viper187
I was thinking... eBay's fees only apply to the sale price of the item and not shipping, right? What if people starting listing all their items as 'Buy It Now' for $1 with a huge shipping cost? Might be a way to screw eBay a bit. You could probably even say right in the listing why it's priced the way it is, just to make a point.
Thats been happening for years. As a seller I charge actual shipping, and refuse to buy from someone trying to make their money on shipping.

Besides eBay will now alert you, if your shipping cost are too close, or higher than the selling price- in the case of a BIN
Old 02-27-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And while eBay doesn't compute fees based on shipping, PayPal does. So, if they pay you via PayPal, eBay ultimately gets your money.
Old 02-28-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some douchebag at eBay called us awhile back about freight shipping in one of our listings. First, he cancelled the listing before contacting us. He said that it was already 'processed'. So I had to spend a half hour re-researching and relisting the item. I think it was for a mailing machine, which weighed, like, 200 lbs. It was going to ship via freight for $130. Our base cost on shipping a pallet is around $110. Plus it takes a lot of time and materials to box and strap stuff to pallets.

I think that they're system automatically picks up on shipping costs that aren't in the range of other shipping prices in a given category.

For anyone who has ever been called by eBay CS on something like that - they're fucking dumb. It's ridiculous. It's like walking into Best Buy and expecting to talk to someone who knows about what they do. But all you get is some dumb fucking kid.

We also have 10-or-so OLD listings cancelled because we had our phone # in the subtitle (which is a little known rule ... that I didn't know at the time). It was even worse, because they were old listings for larger equipment. And, again, they wouldn't let me just sit there and revise it. They NEEDED to cancel my listing. We used to do that for our more expensive equipment. And I wasted a day, having to go back and relist everything.

It sucks that they don't have professionals working that stuff. It can't possibly be a large department. They could at least have well informed people making those phone calls. I HATE to be answered with 'uhhh ... that's policy'.
Old 03-04-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think that they're system automatically picks up on shipping costs that aren't in the range of other shipping prices in a given category.
Actually I think it does it by similar items also.
Old 03-05-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't listed a thing on Ebay since the first week of February, and have no plans to under the current guidelines.
Old 03-07-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i noticed something weird earlier today. when i was looking at listings, it seemed that most of them had buyers or high bidders that had names like e***7, or j***1. does anyone know what this means? is ebay shielding bidders now?
Old 03-07-08, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75
i noticed something weird earlier today. when i was looking at listings, it seemed that most of them had buyers or high bidders that had names like e***7, or j***1. does anyone know what this means? is ebay shielding bidders now?
Yes, they are shielding bidders.

Straight from Ebay:

To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and protect our members from fraudulent emails, eBay has changed how User IDs display on the bid history page. Only you and the seller of the item can view your User ID, all other members will see anonymous user IDs, such as x***y.
Old 03-07-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another reason why I no longer have any items for sale on FEEbay. I urge everyone to check out the alternatives. I'm using eBid and, though I haven't made a sale yet (it has only been 12 days), their fee structure is FAR more fair than eBay ever was. Anyone interested, please PM me.
Old 03-09-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roufuss
Yes, they are shielding bidders.
I like this rule. It really cuts down on the junk fraud emails.

Anyone know what actually happened to eBay's numbers yet? I'd be curious to see.
Old 03-10-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WTF! I just tried to list a bunch of oop disney DVDs and they gave me the following message:

In order to maintain a safe trading environment, selling limits are occasionally placed on accounts listing items that are reportedly favored by counterfeiters. At this time, you are limited in the number of items you can list (or revise) in any 7 day period. If you have any additional questions about this subject, email us at Customer Support.

I've been selling on that site for close to a decade without one single negative feedback and they won't even let me list a title and say "OOP" or "Disney" in the title?
Old 03-11-08, 11:07 PM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by John Galt
WTF! I just tried to list a bunch of oop disney DVDs and they gave me the following message:

In order to maintain a safe trading environment, selling limits are occasionally placed on accounts listing items that are reportedly favored by counterfeiters. At this time, you are limited in the number of items you can list (or revise) in any 7 day period. If you have any additional questions about this subject, email us at Customer Support.

I've been selling on that site for close to a decade without one single negative feedback and they won't even let me list a title and say "OOP" or "Disney" in the title?
email them.....they had to do something, the bootleg disney movies got out of hand on ebay there for a while....I am sure if you contact them you will get this fixed.
Old 03-12-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got it resolved, but they should have it programmed so that people with certain criteria don't get flagged for this.
Old 03-13-08, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John Galt

that proves that ebay is being runned by monkeys.
Old 03-16-08, 02:47 PM
Banned

You know, the positive feedback only for buyers doesn't really bother me. I got my feedback rating screwed one time when I bought from a seller on half.com. They advertised the item (N64) as "Like New" and it was nowhere near that. I left negative feedback and the asshole gave me a negative back. Read the fuckin listing guidelines and list things honestly if you want good feedback.
Old 05-02-08, 02:18 PM

I didn't realize that you HAVE to accept Paypal payment unless you've completed a certain amount of selling transactions... My positive feedback is 50+ but that's not enough-- eBay wouldn't allow me to require Money Order or Check payment only! What a fucking joke, I closed the window and put it up on Half hassle-free. No wonder I can't find anything I'm looking for on eBay.
Old 05-02-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by domino harvey
I didn't realize that you HAVE to accept Paypal payment unless you've completed a certain amount of selling transactions... My positive feedback is 50+ but that's not enough-- eBay wouldn't allow me to require Money Order or Check payment only! What a fucking joke, I closed the window and put it up on Half hassle-free. No wonder I can't find anything I'm looking for on eBay.
eBay owns Half, the commission is higher on Half, and items usually sell for more on Half. eBay thanks you for increasing their profits.
Old 05-02-08, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
eBay owns Half, the commission is higher on Half, and items usually sell for more on Half. eBay thanks you for increasing their profits.
It's a lot easier for me, the seller, to be screwed over by eBay's new rules than Half's existing rules. Me, the message board poster, thanks you for missing the point.
Old 05-02-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sell on Half too, almost exclusively. It was a joke.
Old 05-02-08, 08:31 PM

Sorry for the negative feedback [/eBay joke]
Old 05-04-08, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So are all of these changes just for ebay.com, or is it for other sites like ebay.ca? I haven't really followed up on these changes, but I did notice that I can still leave negative feedback for buyers, which I thought had changed.
Old 05-06-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if you guys have been following this:

http://www.redherring.com/Home/24198

EBAY CHARGES SKULLDUGGERY AT CRAIGSLIST

In the equivalent of an online sale gone horribly wrong, mercantile giants eBay and craigslist are at each other’s throats in what promises to be a long-running legal drama.

The initial salvos include the airing of a public version of the lawsuit filed last week by eBay and postings on the craigslist blog.

Craigslist.org, the online classified site, is tied together with eBay, the giant online auctioneer, through an August 2004 investment in which eBay acquired 28.4 percent of the company’s outstanding stock. The other shareholders are founder and Chairman Craig Newmark and Chief Executive James Buckmaster.

Ties between the companies, however, began to fray in June 2007 when eBay launched Kijiji, an online classified site that until then had been limited to foreign markets—in the United States.

Within two weeks of the rollout, Mr. Buckmaster sent a letter to eBay Chief Executive Meg Whitman, saying “we are no longer comfortable having eBay as a shareholder.” In response, Ms. Whitman said eBay was not interested in selling out, but stood ready to buy the rest of craigslist.

In the fall of 2007, the lawsuit said, Mrs. Newmark and Buckmaster, comprising the entire board of directors, held a series of meetings to discuss the “potential threat of an unwelcome takeover” and adoption of a “poison pill” designed to make a hostile takeover excessively costly for a would-be acquirer. The poison pill and a stock issuance that diluted eBay’s interest to 24.85 percent of outstanding shares were approved in January, the lawsuit said.

Also approved was a right-of-first-refusal provision that eBay said would bar it from selling its stock to anyone not controlled by Mrs. Newmark and Buckmaster.

In a blog posting on Wednesday, meanwhile, craigslist portrayed eBay as a disgruntled stockholder.

“Sadly, we have an uncomfortably conflicted shareholder in our midst,” the blog said, “one that is obsessed with dominating online classifieds for the purpose of maximizing its own profits.”

In a blog post last week, the craigslist blog said that eBay has “absolutely no reason to feel threatened here—unless of course they’re contemplating a hostile takeover of craigslist, or the sale of eBay’s stake to to an unfriendly party. In which case, they’re out of luck.”

Goooooo Craigslist!!
Old 05-06-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Viper187
You know, the positive feedback only for buyers doesn't really bother me. I got my feedback rating screwed one time when I bought from a seller on half.com. They advertised the item (N64) as "Like New" and it was nowhere near that. I left negative feedback and the asshole gave me a negative back. Read the fuckin listing guidelines and list things honestly if you want good feedback.
Exactly why they changed their rules and exactly why I left.

When arrogant power sellers (who generate most of EBAY's revenue) can blackmail people into mutually withdrawing feedback, you know something is wrong.

I never left a negative, even though I should have because the seller has a well documented history of retaliation. And even speaking to EBAY and their so called Safe Harbor and Security people did nothing.
Old 05-07-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

50 cents max listing fee for FIXED PRICE listings.

One week only! May 7-14, 2008

Good for general Fixed Price listings
Applies to Motors Parts & Accessories too
The more you list, the more you save

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.