Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

blockbuster has changed pricing

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

blockbuster has changed pricing

Old 08-17-07, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sigh. just got an e-mail about changes to my existing plan. before the end of august, i have to choose to keep the same price but only 5 in-store trade-ins a month or pay $4 more and keep the unlimited rentals... don't know which seems like the best deal. i was hoping they would've just let customers keep their existing plans and charge new customers the new prices, especially since is the first e-mail i've received since they announced the plan changes and that was a while back it seems. guess that's not the case.

We hope you're enjoying BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™!

There are some changes to our subscription plan lineup that introduce a new pricing structure and new plans which limit the number of in-store exchanges.

As a result, your current plan will no be longer be available at the current price.

(Unlimited Online DVDs up to 3 at a time plus unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $17.99)

We'd like to extend you a new plan that includes Unlimited Online DVDs 3 at a time plus up to 5 free* in-store exchanges for $17.99.

In addition, exclusively for BLOCKBUSTER Total Access customers, we have introduced in-store movie rentals for $1.99* per movie should you need more than the in-store exchanges included in your plan.

Your new plan will go into effect on your regular monthly billing date following August 31, 2007. If we don't hear from you by August 31, 2007, we will automatically move you to the new BLOCKBUSTER Total Access plan referenced below as "Your New Plan".

Last edited by shyguy1083; 08-17-07 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-17-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
$4 more? $7 more, that is. Color me pissed
Old 08-17-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
My message was a little different, and included the following:
You will be moved to our new plan that includes Unlimited Online DVDs 3 at a time plus up to 5 free* in-store exchanges for $17.99. This plan will not include an e-coupon for in-store DVD and/or game rentals. The new subscription plan and pricing will go into effect on your regular monthly billing date following August 31, 2007.†

Like I said before, I wouldn't mind it if they left it like it was before this Total Access stuff, but now they're taking away my two free game rentals? Ugh.
Old 08-18-07, 12:36 AM

Just got the e-mail as well. I was just in the $9.99 plan, which was 1-at-a-time unlimited, but with unlimited exchanges as well. So I was getting about 8 DVDs a month plus the free rental coupon which I used on a game.

Now, they offered me unlimited 1-at-a-time rentals and only two exchanges and no game rental. This is total BS. I'll be lucky to get 4 or 5 rentals and no game (which I loved before considering it's $7.99 for game rental).

Funny thing is, when I cancelled following the e-mail, it gave me some options to continue my membership. They were basically the same as I had before with no game rental coupon. So I decided to continue, but then it said the "new" plan I picked was "no longer valid". Blockbuster can go f*** themselves.
Old 08-18-07, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
$4 more? $7 more, that is. Color me pissed
actually, at the bottom of my e-mail, it says that to continue with my current plan, it would be $21.99, up from the $17.99 i pay now. i guess they're giving existing customers a slight price break? and then only new customers have to pay the $24.99? or do they just randomly offer different rates to different customers?
Old 08-18-07, 02:30 AM

Got the email too. But mine's was different.

We have introduced a new pricing structure for our lineup of subscription plans.

As a result, the price of your current monthly plan, Unlimited Online DVDs up to 3 at a time plus unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $17.99, will increase to $24.99, effective August 31, 2007.

We will not automatically renew your subscription on your next billing date.

If you choose to continue, please select a new plan.

Move to BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™ Plan that includes Unlimited Online DVDs 3 at a time plus up to 5 free* in-store exchanges for $17.99/month
Option 1
OR

See other subscription plans
See Other Plans

So it sounds like I have to choose option 1 in order to continue or I will be no longer be a member. That's what it sounds like. Didn't mention about the coupons.

Anyone got the same email as me?
Old 08-18-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Just got mine:

As a result, your current plan will no be longer be available at the current price.

(Unlimited Online DVDs up to 2 at a time plus unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $14.99)

We'd like to extend you a new plan that includes Unlimited Online DVDs 2 at a time plus up to 3 free* in-store exchanges for $14.99.

Buncha BS, I'm THIS close to canceling the whole thing... I've pretty much seen everything I wanted to catch up on anyways...I'm just trying to keep my Q full at this point.
Old 08-18-07, 06:06 AM

I was happy with my $9.99 a month for 1 at a time,unlimited in store exchages and 1 free e coupon.Now my options are:
$13.99 for 2 out at a time.No in store exchage.
$16.99 for 1 out at a time,unlimited in store exchage,free e coupon is gone.
$9.99 for 1 at a time,2 in store exchages only,no e coupon.
Plus all the rest.Bottom line my plan went up $7.00 and the free e coupon was taken away.Blockbuster gets greedy.I average about 12 rentals a month with my current plan,even with price jump it beats the whopping $3.99 plus tax rental charge without a plan.However if the rate I get my DVDs through the mail,usually was next day,bumps up to 3 days,as my last through the mail rental did,my average will fall about 3-4 DVDs a month.So for $7.00 more I will get 25% less rentals plus no e coupon.Somethings wrong with this picture.

Last edited by Misery; 08-18-07 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-18-07, 09:09 AM
Cool New Member

I got the email today

Dear Emmanuel,

We have introduced a new pricing structure for our lineup of subscription plans.

As a result, the price of your current monthly plan, Unlimited Online DVDs up to 3 at a time plus unlimited in-store exchanges each month for $17.99, will increase to $24.99, effective August 31, 2007.

We will not automatically renew your subscription on your next billing date.

If you choose to continue, please select a new plan.

Needless to say Blockbuster lost my business to Netflix
Old 08-18-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
actually, at the bottom of my e-mail, it says that to continue with my current plan, it would be $21.99, up from the $17.99 i pay now. i guess they're giving existing customers a slight price break? and then only new customers have to pay the $24.99? or do they just randomly offer different rates to different customers?
Ah yours is going up to 21.99 that's weird... mine is staying $17.99, so it would $7 more until the $24.99.
Old 08-18-07, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Screw Blockbuster. Why the hell are they upping are rates and taking away features? I thought they were trying to win over Netflix costumers? At the end of the month I'm out. I assume if I cancel now they won't pro-rate my fee back, right?
Old 08-18-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shyguy 21.99 is unlimited swaps 2 out at a time, 3 out at a time 5 swaps is 17.99 and 3 out at a time unlimited swaps is 24.99.

I'm going to keep it. I was finding that I was just grabbing whatever when I went to the store because I had seen everything I wanted. Most of those I can get at the library. I'm going to use the five rentals to get new releases. I seldom have more than 5 new releases a month I want to see NOW.

I used to keep the DVDs at home for days until I had all three watched to minimize going to the store, so I guess it all comes out the same because I'll be returning them faster.

I've been a member for so long that I guess I'll stay. It's still a good deal.
Old 08-18-07, 01:47 PM

Well, I guess Netflix is going to see a serious bump in subs on Sept 1st.
Old 08-18-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just received an email as well, and I'm very disappointed that they're taking away the e-coupons for games under my plan. Are there any plans at all that include e-coupons now?
Old 08-18-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Hmm . . . My account was suspended because my credit card got lost and I forgot to add my new card. That took me out of "grandfathering" even though I added my new card as soon as they notified me.

Actually, I added my new card, but they said they wouldn't charge it and I wouldn't have service till the 25th (this was days ago). I just told them to charge for what I'd used, and cx'd my membership. Too much hassle and too little service. Plus, only 3 movies in my queue were available.
Old 08-18-07, 03:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Like I said before, I wouldn't mind it if they left it like it was before this Total Access stuff, but now they're taking away my two free game rentals? Ugh.
That's what got me pissed more than anything else. I can't see how they were making any money on it though so I suspected it would only be a matter of time before they did away w/ them.
Old 08-18-07, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by eatntae
Just received an email as well, and I'm very disappointed that they're taking away the e-coupons for games under my plan. Are there any plans at all that include e-coupons now?

I don't believe so. I wrote their CS dept asking this but haven't heard anything back yet. The funny thing is the coupons were the main thing that would make me stop by their store. I only recently started using the "trade in" feature and to be honest I haven't seen a marked improvement in turn around times. Since finding a movie in the store is a PITA I'm happy to stay at the 3 out and not have to step foot in one again.

Last edited by nemein; 08-18-07 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-18-07, 04:23 PM

My question is: if my next biling cycle is middle of next month and wait till almost last minute to change my plan to 17.99 with 5 swaps, will be still be able to have 5 swaps after my new billing. The FAQ at BB said that swaps starts or resets at the beginning of each month regardless of your billing cycle.

So if I had more than 5 swaps prior to my new "plan" change, do I still have 5 swaps or is it gone?
Old 08-18-07, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Shyguy 21.99 is unlimited swaps 2 out at a time, 3 out at a time 5 swaps is 17.99 and 3 out at a time unlimited swaps is 24.99.
argh, you're right. i just quickly glanced at the e-mail and thought all the options on the bottom listed 3 out at a time. hmmm... 2 out, unlimited swaps might be the best choice... especially since the new releases are always available at the store while their availability online is usually "short wait" or "long wait"... but then, it's true that lately there have been few new releases that i feel i HAVE to rent right away... guess i'll have to think about it a bit more
Old 08-19-07, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
I don't believe so. I wrote their CS dept asking this but haven't heard anything back yet. The funny thing is the coupons were the main thing that would make me stop by their store. I only recently started using the "trade in" feature and to be honest I haven't seen a marked improvement in turn around times. Since finding a movie in the store is a PITA I'm happy to stay at the 3 out and not have to step foot in one again.

I just received confirmation that there are no more e-coupons
Old 08-19-07, 01:47 PM
Cool New Member

I'm still waiting for my email to let me know something. I'm guessing I'll get something soon but it's just weird that I have not yet. I thought for sure I would get it before this month's billing date, which is the 19th. I checked my account and it still says:

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium
$17.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, unlimited mailings
unlimited in-store free movie/discounted game exchanges
+1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month (the one I have now expires 9/18). Next billing date is 9/19.

I'll keep it until they tell me something but after they do, I'm not sure what we will do. We never even rented movies much until this plan and have been using it all the time. I think it had been about 7 years since we had used Blockbuster before this year.
Old 08-19-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Still no e-mail for me. I'm curious to see what's going to happen to my account since the 4 at a time plan that I'm currently on seems to no longer exist.
Old 08-20-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the email saying they weren't going to automatically renew my subscription but this morning when I checked this morning it looks like they did and I'm on the same 17.99 on-line 3 at a time, unlimited in-store rentals, and 1 e-coupon per month.

I spent 13 years working in video stores so I never rented at Blockbuster before they offered the in-store returns with the on-line rentals and probably won't rent there again if I end my subscription. $4.99 a movie is too much to pay for something that I can get through Netflix or wait until it hits cable.

Bob
Old 08-20-07, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
I got the email saying they weren't going to automatically renew my subscription but this morning when I checked this morning it looks like they did and I'm on the same 17.99 on-line 3 at a time, unlimited in-store rentals, and 1 e-coupon per month.
You probably want to check your "Next Billing Date", that's when they'll drop your subscription unless you tell them which plan you want to join. As mentioned, there are no e-coupons any more so any plan that contains them is going to go away sometime in Sept.
Old 08-20-07, 08:13 AM

I was reading the various FAQs on the blockbuster site and they seem pretty up to date. It mentions that e-coupons have been removed from most, but not all plans. The email I received mentioned nothing about the e-coupons.
I've been a member for a few years so I'm hoping I'll get lucky and still get the coupons. They come in real handy for my son who has a PS2 and Gamecube. We use both of the coupons for game rentals every month.

One of the FAQs mentioned exchanging online rentals for in store movies and discounted game rentals. I had never read anything about discounted game rentals before. If I lose the coupons I guess I'll have to look into that.

As for my plan switching to five free in store exchanges per month, I'm ok with that. I don't think I've ever exchanged more than five a month in the store anyway.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.