Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

blockbuster has changed pricing

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

blockbuster has changed pricing

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My billing date is 8/21, but I got the e-mail. I was a pretty heavy user, watching 6 videos a week.

I sent an e-mail saying that some "friends" of mine (and we're all friends here) who had the same program as I did were not getting a price increase. The response I got back was insulting as the CR didn't bother to read what I had said and just gave a pat response:

"Hello Bob,

Thanks for contacting BLOCKBUSTER Online Customer Care.

Like all retail businesses, we must periodically review our pricing structure. In introducing a wider range of subscription plans, we considered a number of factors including the number of in-store exchanges on a given account. We’re giving our most frequent renters like yourself the option of either continuing with unlimited in-store exchanges at a higher price point or moving to a plan where the number of in-store exchanges is fixed if you'd like to continue with the same rate.

We feel we are still delivering a great consumer value and encourage you to continue your membership by selecting one of the new plans we offer. You can find the details of what is available via "My Account" in the "Subscription Plan" area. Please remember that if you do not select one of the new plans we have to offer before your next regular billing date, we will not be automatically renewing your membership. Thank you very much for your inquiry.

Sincerely,"

I called the CS line and spoke to a rep who told me that my price would not change and I would still get 3 out with unlimited exchanges for $17.99. I asked him to send me an e-mail confirmation and he said it would, but I haven't gotten it yet. He did give me a case number to refer to. He did say that if something goes "wrong" with my account like a credit card expiring when they try to charge to it, it will revert to the $24.99 price. So I guess all I can do is wait and see...
Old 07-31-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I read that Blockbuster has a 90-day "grandfather clause" so beware even if you're not getting a price raise, it might do so later.

Also, here's a funny article I found (and where I got the grandfather clause from):
http://www.filmwad.com/the-top-ten-l...rs-3434-p.html
Old 08-02-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Only reason I really prefer blockbuster right now is the instore exchanges. If I have to pay an extra $7 a month, I'm dropping them.
Old 08-02-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
even right in the official paper work the wording is confusing.
it appears to infer that anyone who joined 90 days prior to aug 1st will be grandfathered to the original pricing, but in the same paragraph it says something some members will recieve info on the new pricing tiers and will not be auto charged until they go in and agree or disagree with the new prices.
Old 08-06-07, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently joined Blockbuster Online a few weeks ago at the one movie out at a time $9.99 plan with unlimited in-store exchanges. If they change the pricing structure to limiting my in-store exchanges, I'm done.

WTF is the advantage of Blockbuster if you can't have unlimited in-store exchanges? I like the fact that I know I'm only spending $10 a month and am able to rent about 8 different things within that time frame. (4 in the mail = 4 exchanges) Not to mention the bonus rental coupon for the occasional Wii game. I understand that they are probably losing revenue in their B&M stores, but I think this new pricing scheme will just piss people off, especially those that are heavy renters. Netflix might see a jump in subscribers in the near future to those switching back from Blockbuster.
Old 08-06-07, 03:33 PM
Banned

I always found Blockbuster UK too costly in there rentals and purchasing of DVD. Ever heard the expression it pays to shop around!?
Old 08-06-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad I don't rent. Who has time to read thru all that crap to figure out what plan you need, etc. ugh
Old 08-06-07, 07:28 PM

on blockbuster website faq:

If you joined us prior to May 15, 2007, new plan options and pricing will go into effect on your regular monthly billing date following September 1, 2007. For example, if you are usually billed on the 15th of the month, your new plan and pricing will go into effect on September 15, 2007. You will receive an e-mail with information regarding your changes.

If you joined us after May 15, 2007, you will receive an e-mail at least ten days before your change takes effect.
Old 08-06-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so in other words, everyone will be charged the new rates.
Old 08-06-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
The in-store dvd rentals were nice, but I never could watch all those movies anyway. I'll be ticked when they force me to change my plan and take away my two free game rentals, though, which I'm fairly sure will happen.
Old 08-06-07, 10:00 PM

I guess if my planning plan changes (going up for unlimitied in store returns), I'll just stick with the 17.99 plan where I can have 5 in store returns.

My question is: Can you return a DVD in store without renting or exchanging for a free movie? For instance, you already have 5 in store returns, but you just want to return at the store without renting anything so that your SHIPPED queue shows DVD returned at store and next DVD would ship next day. This will save having to wait for postal service to deliver to BB and for them to physical receive it before shipping next movie.
Old 08-07-07, 11:16 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOne
My question is: Can you return a DVD in store without renting or exchanging for a free movie?
I know exactly what you mean, and was thinking the same thing. My gut feeling is that they won't let you return the movie in store anymore, forcing you to mail the movie and thus losing 2 to 3 days in your turnaround. The way it appears to work now, is that the check-in process is a single barcode scan when getting the free rental discount.
Old 08-07-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
When I get the e-mail about the price increase, I'll keep my membership but just cancel the Total Access aspect of it. I don't actually use that service anyway.
Old 08-08-07, 01:05 AM

I've emailed BB and also called my local store.

They both said you can return at the store without exchanging for a free rental.

I also emailed about the scenario where you have 5 in store returns a month (Total Access Basic) and what happens if you have 2 to return at store, but only want to exchange one and let the other just "return" for faster turnaround.
Reply was that the store will know how many of the 5 returns you used.
Old 08-08-07, 02:08 PM

I'm on the mail only plan, no in store exchanges yet I still receive envelopes that state good for a free rental. Can I get a free rental with those?
Old 08-08-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty annoyed at the change.

They could have at least made it 6 changes so the 3 at a time people could exchange all 3 of their movies twice a month.

Overall, I will probaly keep my membership as long as they still have the free game coupons and no late fees. It's still a pretty good deal.
Old 08-09-07, 11:14 AM

Here is what my current account states:

Your current plan...BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium $17.99 / month (plus taxes)
3 at-a-time, unlimited mailings
unlimited in-store free movie/discounted game exchanges
+1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month Next Billing Date: August 10,2007

I have not received anything about a price increase except for the Movie Pass option I also have which increased by a dollar or two.
Old 08-09-07, 11:18 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if the price increase is for all the "hi-def" dvds they are now stocking...
Old 08-11-07, 12:56 AM

I believe if you are a old time subscriber, your unlimited Total Access will change in the September billing according to her34 post.

Miine's is August 13 billing and no email yet. So I believe next month I shall see it.
Old 08-11-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
More weirdness. After being told that my price of 3 out for $17.99 would continue indefinitely (see posts above) I got a second notice price-change e-mail. I also returned 3 dvds on Tuesday, but they only shipped 2 out. I called customer service and they said my account had been cancelled. I said I never cancelled it, so the CR rep re-instated it and told me that my monthly fee would remain at $17.99.

Last edited by Doc Moonlight; 08-11-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FILMCZY
It wouldn't surprise me if the price increase is for all the "hi-def" dvds they are now stocking...
You mean all the ones with "Very Long Wait" I think Blockbuster is just trying to turn a profit, as they are not making money....although, raising the price is not the BEST alternative IMO.

I'll keep my $4.99 PROMO for these next two months. The service is getting worse though. EVERY HD/BD they ship lately has taken 3 days. Why does "Hi-Def" take longer than normal DVD's to ship?
Old 08-17-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Why does "Hi-Def" take longer than normal DVD's to ship?
Because there is more data to send so it takes longer to package.

I signed up over a year ago and just got the email saying Sept. 1 I would need to pay the higher price for the same service.
Old 08-17-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
my bbv store just raised the price of rentals from 3.99 to 4.29
Old 08-17-07, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Puzznic
Overall, I will probaly keep my membership as long as they still have the free game coupons and no late fees. It's still a pretty good deal.
I'm pretty sure all the coupons are gone now. You can use the trade in for a discount on game rental, but I don't think there's an option that includes free game rentals anymore
Old 08-17-07, 09:59 PM

i just got my message $7 a month for the same thing, i dont know?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.